Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bough from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

First Impression: Amber.

Dries down to: Very faint amber.

Additional Comments: This is absolutely lovely - amber is one of my best notes - but it's barely there. I don't pick up on anything but the amber and even that's hard to detect, it's so very, very faint on me. I suppose I could try really slathering it on but there's so many other oils I love that this one's just not worth the effort.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Amber, amber, amber!

No other notes even make an appearance- but amber gets amped on me.

It's pretty, not quite my thing. This is very soft and golden and warm, and reminds me of random things I used to like.

This would have been my holy grail circa 1995 - but no so much these days.

Edited by Lit Chick

Wet: Sort of pleasantly medicinal, or like a very nice suntan lotion

Drying: Okay, it doesn't take long for the vaguely medicinal overtone (myrtle?) to disappear and the amber to take over, in a good way; a sort of soft golden crumbly sweetness. Very nice indeed. It does get a bit powdery after a couple of hours, but on the whole this is a very good, not too heavy, blend.

I did not, however, notice any men being unable to resist my charms, in fact everyone at the big-press book launch I went to ignored me, so it seems my charms were still easily resisted. Ah well.

I get sweet, flowery amber from this. It is very pretty. It doesn't last as long as i'd like it to though. I think I'll keep it at least for now and give it another try later.

I'm not sure how many amber necklaces I own -- probably at least eight (it's a Baltic heritage thing). So I had high, high hopes for this one.

Alas. I don't dislike it, but it sure ain't The One. It reminds me of my grandmother and her friends, but not in an old-lady way: they were all refugees who came to the US after WWII with pretty much nothing, and when I was a kid they were all stout, hearty middle-aged women who still loved to party and finally had the money to do so in style. That's how this blend smells to me -- rich and earthy, but also sensible and old-fashioned. In terms of the actual notes, it starts out amber and apple (and probably myrtle, which I can't identify, but may be what gives this the old-fashioned smell), and turns pretty quickly to amber and carnation, which is a fairly pleasant but not in the least bit sexy smell on me. Also, this is one of those quirky blends that actually smells *better* on me during TTOM -- much smoother.

OK, oddly enough I just reviewed Maiden and named the carnation as a source of many headachy ills. Perhaps the five ambers in this scent help the carnation blend with my skin better. Regardless, every time I smell this scent, it makes my head spin with possibilities. I always wear this on Friday, or Freya's day, and smile when it wafts to my nose. Though it goes a little powdery on me (perhaps it's the apple blossom that contributes to that?) as the day wears on, it's OK - it smells exactly like the amber resin I crush to use in my incenses.

This is a scent of feminine power and potential to me. It's one of the small number of 10mls I've bought from the Lab, and I treasure it!

This is an amazing scent. I used it from an imp a while ago and have smelled it on a scarf ever since. The scent lingered and I loved it but I didn't know what it was. It was frustrating because I wanted to know what it was, but only found out recently.

In the bottle it smells of amber and spice. There is a minty note which I guess is the myrtle.

On my skin it becomes a lucious amber, with a spicy scent more prominent than the amber. This must be the carnation. It lingers a long time and is warm and spicy and sexy. It reminds me a little of Opium, but it is much better than that. It is smooth and floral but the flowers don't overpower the amber.

I took my imp and mixed it with perfumers alcohol. It has great staying power and throw as a spray.

I've ordered a 5 ml bottle, but this scent is 10 ml worthy.

Rating 5 out of 5.

I love it!! :P

My wife loves it too. :D

Joan

This is my first review. I hope it is ok.

Edited by nfcfriend

I like, no love amber in scents and I wasn't disappointed by this one! It's a warm amber scent that is very comforting. I'm not sure if I like it enough to get a big bottle though, I might have to test this one again!

In bottle: this is a very light blend, with the apple blossom and myrtle being dominant

Wet: the myrtle is the strongest note, but the apple blossom keeps it from smelling too green

Dry: this scent disappeared almost as soon as it dried! I can faintly smell apple blossom, but only if I put my nose right on my wrist.

I had this preconceived notion about Brisingamen from all the reviews I read - that she would be warm and spicy and sweet.

I got spicy and sweet, but some component went really...cold on me. Like almost Halls Menthol cold. And it never really warmed up.

I wanted a warm, embracing, enticing fragrance. Usually amber does that on me. Instead of warm and enticing, I got a scent that says "I'll play hard to get." :P

Maybe I'll have better luck with Bastet.

I adore amber, and interestingly enough I don't think I like this one. I sense a bit of the amber that I get from Aglacea (sp?) but the rest of the notes are kicking my ass in a bad way. It's all floral and spicy and not good. *le sigh* The quest continues.

I've been looking for a purdy amber fragrance, but unfortunately, this one is not it for me--it turns soapy immediately and stays that way. It's too bad, because The Lion is all Big Red cinnamon chewing gum on me, and Jacob's Ladder turns sour on me. Alas, the search continues.

SWEET! Super sweet. Cloyingly sweet, in fact. I wasn't expecting that. After a few hours, it mellowed to a very soft, very pretty and feminine amber. I like it, but there are other amber fragrances I like better. I'll definitely hang on to the imp, though.

I don't think I have ever smelled amber before, but this is such a beautiful scent. I could see myself wearing this a lot.

It is very sultry without being overpowering. Over 12 hours later and I can still smell a hint of it and i love it.

AngellicMystique, I like your description.

Brisingamen is a beautiful, warm ambery floral that I loved until I realized the headaches I was getting while trying it weren't a coincidence.

I like amber, it hates me. You live, you learn, but that doesn't make it less disappointing. Also, I swapped to have two imps of this before realizing the horrible truth. :P

Mmm, Brisingamen. I didn't know what amber smelled like before BPAL, but now I know that I adore it, and Brisingamen is one of my first loves that I still wear all the time, and I still don't know how to describe the amber-y goodness! I do know that it's rich and sexy in a very confident sort of way on me, and when I put it on, I tend to get all these bemused compliments: "What is that??? Whatever it is, it smells so good!"

Well, this is my first review of sorts.I recieved a batch of imps from an Ebay seller. I really really wanted to like this one. But the amber is too strong. It overrode every other note I was expecting to smell. Several women at work smelled and thought it smelled clean. It reminded most of the costume room of a theater I used to work at. Kind of an "old" smell.

I admit I did like but it has stuck around for 10 hours now and I can't seem to get it off my skin. I really like amber scents and hope to have better luck with other combinations.

This is a frimp, but I've been eyeing the scent for a bit. Something about apple blossom just strikes a note of "this might work" for me.

In the bottle - Oh interesting... I can see where people thought this was soapy, since it does remind me of Bath & Bodyworks apple blossom, but I actually like it. The apple is light and meshes wonderfully with the amber.

Wet - Okay, my skin chemistry is just off today. This smells like Coke, just the way Satyr did earlier. :P

Drying - As it dries that random cola smell is disappearing and the glowing apple-amber I smelt in the bottle it coming forward. It's delicate, dusty and just a touch sweet.

Dry (15 minutes) - Well, hellooooo, babypowder. :D Slightly amber tinted babypowder, but still.

Overall - I refuse to give up on this. It has such potential, that I simply feel obligated to try it out later, once my chemistry as stopped freaking out.

This is one of the more perfumey-perfumes in the BPAL catalog. The amber is a thick, dense cloud that hovers just over my skin. Today I can't smell the apple blossom, and I haven't gotten any myrtle, but even just ambery, it's beautiful.

This rather disappointed me. Like all blends with any kind of amber in it, it disappears as soon as it touches my skin. ack. I really want to love amber too. :P

Oh, hello amber! That's all I can smell in the vial, really. Very resinous with a touch of sweetness, which I guess is coming from the florals.

On me, I get a very warm powdery amber, which I really like. The carnation comes out next, and complements the amber. I don't get the apple blossom until later, and it lends lightness and sweetness to the blend. The myrtle comes out last and allows this to dry down to a sweet floral touched by sunlight. A lovely, golden, warm scent. 8.5/10.

Definitely a warm, amberous, golden scent. There's a powder note in here, and a spicy note, and a whiff of floral. but something for me down deep is bitter and unpleasant. May be skin chemistry, maybe the myrtle. I don't know, but for me it doesn't work.

Ok, I was worried about this one. Amber usually turns to powder on me, baby or old lady. But I love amber jewelry, I think Freya rocks, so I thought what the hey?

In the bottle: spicey amber.

Wet: spicey, pleasantly powdery amber.

Dry down: amber and something starchy smelling. OMG, it smells like potatoes and amber! :D Stupid body chemistry, this was going along nicely too. :P

30 minutes: The potato smell has gone and this has turned into the softest amber, not powder, just amber. Lovely.

Conclusion: I will have to try this again and see what my chemistry does, because I really like the end result. But do I like it enough to put up with potatoes? Hmmm. Will edit this when I have a chance to review again.

Rating on my skin, inconclusive at this point.