Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bough from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

Brisingamen smells to me like “Masabakes Light.” I was really surprised to see that there are no notes duplicated between the two, as far as the Lab description indicates. I don’t care for Brisingamen at all. It has about an 8” throw, so I don’t really smell it if it’s on my wrists unless I reach up to push back my hair or somehow get my wrist near my face. For me, it has terrific staying power at about 3-4 hours. Unfortunately, the scent is bittersweet and cloying, and just a very strange combination of notes and I’ll be putting my imp in the swap pile.

Ah....Brisingamen lives up to it's description. The lad couldn't keep his hands off of me - which explains why I just ordered a 10ml bottle. :P

Oh Brisingamen, how I love you. I read the description and this scent became my first bought unsniffed 5ml bottle. I am so glad I did so. When my bottle arrived it was tangy and green with barely a hint of the amber I adore, but I know amber and me so I let it sit and age for a few weeks. When I opened it again: amberamberamberamber and of course amber. In the bottle it's honey sweetness. On me the amber is balanced with the green from the myrtle, a little spice from the carnation, and a fruity tang from the apple blossom floats up every once in a while. As much as I love the divine golden sweet in the bottle, on my skin it's much more complex. If I want the unmorphed scent I could always wear it in a locket.

This perfume is the golden goddess in a floral bower: alluring, mature, and sensual.

So much amber love!

My skin adores amber. Given the option, it will pick up the amber note in anything and run with it. I don't mind this at all, as I love the way amber smells on me.

On me, Brisingamen is a very complex amber scent. It's richer than some of the other BPAL amber-types I've tried. The description does say "five ambers" so it seems to me that they're all getting together and having a very nice amber soiree on my wrist. I think I can also pick up a little of the carnation as well, which blends in beautifully.

In conclusion, I love this. I think I'll have to order a vial, but unfortunately, that will have to wait until I have recovered from my latest BPAL shopping indulgence.

I think I need to live with this one for awhile, while my palate becomes better educated. All I get from this is amber - I am an amber amper, as it were. I can detect nothing else, and amber just isn't quite me. I tried it on my husband (with the caveat not to wear it to work since his co-workers could not resist him, lol) with better results, but again, could only smell the amber. It feels like a more masculine scent to me. But, I've seen others say they needed to live with BPAL scents before some notes become good to them, so I will hang on to this, because I want to love it, and feel like I should.

I put this on not knowing what the notes were, except for those five ambers!, and was surprised by the strength of the floral in this one. I do love carnation, but that wasn't the primary flower here, it was something more akin to one of those tropical flowers, cloying and creamy. Those usually don't behave so well on my skin. In any case, that flower, whether or not it was the apple blossom, dissipated as it dried, and, after about an hour, it was all about amber, which is golden and a bit powdery and you know, ambery, and I do love a rich amber, especially when I am in a sultry warm sexy mood.

And then even that didn't last very long. A couple hours later, I am having to work to smell this.

So, ultimately, I am going to continue searching for an amber that is just right with me, and let other enjoy this one. My daughter likes it.

This was a frimp with my big CN order, and while something I wouldn't have picked myself, actually works quite well with my chemistry.

It smells like gorgeous warm amber with just a touch of apple blossom, and something green and lush to round it out.

Luckily I am getting little to none of the carnation which can be very finicky on me.

I seem to have a very unique chemistry, and the scent descriptions I think I will love, when I get them make me smell like a burning shrub.

So if you love greenish amber (weird I know)

Give it a shot :P

soft, feminie and a little powdery. I really love this one. Not overpowering but makes a statement. This one is a keeper, possibly one needed in a bigger bottle

BRISINGAMEN

In Imp: Hint of fruit, sharpness overall

Wet on Skin: Umm.. amber powder?

Drydown: Amber talcum powder

3 hours: Yep still amber talcum powder

Throw: low, which is good I guess

Hubby Reaction: eh.. I thought I smelled talcum powder

Score (1 = ick, 10 = buy BOTTLE!): 3, if you like amber and powder

Thoughts: I thought I had found some fruit when I first sniffed, but amber and me apparently have issues. I really hope this is not a trend.

~snickers~ my very 1st review :P

Brisingamen was actually the second BPAL I tried. I hadn't been a perfume person before, either -- was lead to BPAL by a good friend and the descriptions hooked me. So, I can't really identify scents yet, but here's the general impression.

Bottle: Mmm. Smell a little of the blossom, some amber; alluring, but not brick-bat style overpowering.

Wet: Whoa. Stronger than in the imp. Apple blossom, plus other undefinable goodness. Maybe that's the myrtle blossom.

Dry down: Lovely golden amber starts coming out. Becomes slightly powdery, in a good way.

Dry: Ohhh. Golden, slightly powdery amber. It hangs around for a few hours, then it's just clinging to my skin.

Verdict: I think I like this one. Need to try some other amber scents first, but this is definitely a bottle candidate. I just wish it had a little more waft -- I look a little odd with my nose <5" from my wrists!

Caveat: This does NOT work on me at that time of the month. I'm trying it again right now, and the wet stage is somewhat unpleasant -- sharp soap? Ugh. Still slightly soapy on dry down, though it looks like the amber might pull through in the long haul.

EDIT: 30 min after the caveat: Spicy-sweet amber!!! I'm guessing the spiciness is the carnation? I LOVE this. :P

Edited by muse

Procured: Imp swipped from husband's stash

In Imp: Fragent wood & citrus with a hint of pepper

On Skin, Wet: herby with carnation appearing on the dry down

On Skin, Dry: >2hrs - got a little soapy but that was temporary. Finally a little smokey and the amber appears.

In the vial: amber and myrrh.

Wet: This is not what I expected at all. This smells sort of manly.

Dry: Something is this blend is just not working with my chemistry. Off to swaps!

Wow, amber goodness!! Loving the amber in this. There's definitely a spicy carnation in there. I also catch a dash of rose?!

I do love the scent but all the ambers make it just a bit too mature of a scent for me. Give me another decade and I'll be all over it!

In the vial: Lots of amber, with something apple-y mingling in

On me, at first, it turns rather sharp - might that be the myrtle? I'm not sure, as I haven't tried a blend with that particular note before this.

Sadly, with the sharpness, the whole fragrance goes, after about an hour, I have baby powder, after another half hour, nothing is left.

I do like amber in all the blends I have tried, but apparently, I can't wear anything with that much amber in it. Too bad.

My nose has a problem with amber, and so does my skin. My nose can't smell any blends with amber in them, no matter what other notes there are, and my skin eats such scents alive.

Needless to say, Brisingamen smelled like a whole lot of nothing to me.

I've tried this scent once, and now that I got a frimp with a swap I tried it again. The first time I tried it it was sour. This one is amber/floral at first, then the amber disappears and it's all floral- apple blossom maybe? I can tolerate carnation, so I don't think it's that.

Nope, maybe third time will be the charm!

I love amber and my skin loves amber so I *had* to try Brisingamen! I'm not a floral girl, but I do like carnations for their spicy scents and I really don't mind apple blossom . Don't know what myrtle is supposed to smell like though.

Brisingamen didn't disappoint me :P On me it's sweet amber goodness with the carnations giving it a little more spice and I like it very much.......I might even buy a bottle at some point!

amber seems to be an iffy note for me. sometimes it's gorgeous and sometimes it's powder.

unfortunately, Brisingamen turns powdery on me... :P

there's a slight hint of spices too, but overall it's powder. I wanted to like this one so much.

Imp: Something sharp, but not pine or cedar - actually, smells a bit like cut ivy - over floral; can't smell the amber.

On: Too cologney; whatever that something-sharp is, I don't like it. On the drydown, a bitter floral with, if I strain for it, a bit of amber.

I'm sure open to trying this again, perhaps from a bottle to get a better balance of notes (this one should have been a love, based on the description and reviews). But for now, it's a no-go for me.

I love amber and amber loves me, so I ordered an imp...

I get all amber from start to finish, with the various ambers taking turns. Final drydown is a little powdery, but quite yummy.

My husband loves amber too, so this is definitely an effective Love Potion for me. I'm getting the bottle!

:P

Brisingamen-

In Bottle: I can hardly smell anything!

Wet: Yes, that definitely smells like amber, but not as rich and sweet as a few other blends that I like.

Dry: This dries down into amber but it's, I don't know, not as exciting as some. I can't help it, since I discovered The Lion all other amber scents just don't measure up. :P

Overall: Not its fault for not being a scent I love more.

In the imp: Veeery strong floral ><

On wet: Spicy floral, a little amber

On dry: O, sweet Brisingamen :P

Amber and spice (which I assume is the myrtle), with little once in a while dashes of floral or apple scents. I had such high hopes for this one - <3 Freya! - I'm very, very glad it lives up to said hopes!

A bottle? Definitely somewhere in my future ^^

I added this to my wishlist because someone said it was similar to The Masque... well it is not, not at all, on me at least. I received it in an unexpected package, what a great surprise!

This is liquid, pale, hand burnished gold. So sophisticated! luxurious but understated: not in your face at all, you really have to get close to it to appreciate all of its glory, and it is so amazing to be enveloped in this aura of gold! Wow! it smells really expensive, now this is a lame adjective to use, but I can't think of another!

And that was wet... as it dries down it gets better and BETTER! It is soft, silky, incredibly feminine, agh! I really don't know how to describe it, I feel I am not doing it any justice.

Apparently I can do amber, very well, which I though not, and I am oh so glad I do. I really can't stop sniffing my arm... GAH! I found a new "drool over" scent. Breathtakingly beautiful, I need a bottle.

How many exclamation marks did I use in this review? I think I just broke a personal record.

Edited by Medvssa