Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

This is one dragon's blood scent that doesn't go pure DB on me. I get myrrh and cherry right of the bat, but it's getting a little Barbie (that means plastic and bubblegum) as it dries down. Darn.

My first impression is loads of dragon's blood with something heavy and dry. I never got any clear clove note. Dragon's blood doesn't usually do well on me. This is no exception. I liked it better in the imp than on my skin. It does fit it's name though.

ETA: After a while it goes very incensey.

Edited by brownbear

Just the name itself is what intrigued me to try this one out. I KNEW I'd love it from its description.

I opened the bottle and sniffed in the crimson goodness......ahhhhhhhh thick juicy cherries and a smack of clove......EXACTLY how I hoped it would smell.

On me...the clove is strongest with a hint of the cherry.. I'm likin' this one!

Glad I went straight for a bottle instead of testing an imp first!

a dark spicy chery..not cough yrup exactly, but it kinda had a phase of that before it mellowed into wonderful.

*This* is what Dragon's Blood should be, or at least what I expected it to be. The myrrh dominates, with the clove and cherry providing a nice warm backup, and just a tiny hint of the lilac in the background, but you largely forget it's there. I don't like lilacs, and I don't like any of the other dragon's blood blends, but this is beautiful. The name doesn't do it justice, it doesn't seem particularly vampiric to me. I love it. Think I'm going to need a big bottle.

Wow, I did not expect to like this as DB and myrrh don't smell that great on me usually. But there is something about Blood that I am really digging. I got this as a frimp in a swap (thanks jenn!) and I'm really glad as it's something I would never have tried otherwise.

It's sort of a smoky cherry almond when it first goes on...the drydown is a little medicinal but I still like it. I'm def. keeping the imp for 'practice' purposes!

ETA March 2008: On further testing I've realized this just doesn't work well. It's a dark, sticky almond at first - that's the cherry, I guess. But the DB ultimately makes this very sour and mothbally for me. Oh well!

Edited by maribouquet

In the imp and on the skin, this smells of dragon’s blood and cherry. The cherry is a bit artificial to me and reminds me of a cherry slushie. As it dries the myrrh and clove comes out and softens the artificial cherry smell. This smells way better to me dry than wet, the myrrh and clove make this smell downright wonderful. Spicy, sexy, seductive. This is a fabulous clove scent and delicious!

Wet this was all sweet - cherry and dragon's blood, on me. As it dried, the cherry toned down a bit, and I could sense the myrrh coming up in the background, evening out the sweet and spicy sides a bit, and finally the clove came out to play.

I definitely like this in the dry stage, and I may keep the imp I have, but I don't think I would reach for this very often.

Edited by mtlaise

This has to be my absolute favorite oil so far...

This is so rich with cherry and dragons blood straight from the vial- I could sniff this for hours (I adore rich cherry blends)!

When I put this on, it smells just like a head shop I worked at through much of my teenage years... heady, sweet cherry incense with a rich feel, that is ever so slightly spicy with a ghost of clove...

This one lasts on me for a long time retaining its scent- I will be getting a large bottle of this one!

Edited by mystery213

In the imp- More sweet than I thought it would be, I don't detect much of the cherry but the clove seems prominent, which I like.

Wet- MMMM. There is a hint of something I don't recognize, I assume it is the dragon's blood? It gives a more sharp edge to the cherries and clove.

Dry- Oh I love this one, and I did not think I would. The blending of the notes on my skin is heavenly. I could detect the myrrh a little more, but the bite of cherry is what kept my nose attached to my wrists. This is a wonderful scent and I think I want a big bottle for days when I'm feeling a little dark.

A little sweet, a little bloody, Blood embodies every sense of the word "sanguine." I'm just not sure if it's me. I'll have to wear it more then decide.

I may have to update this after I try Dragon's Blood on its own.

What a smell!

Exotic and delicious, the fruity resins of dragon's blood mingle with sweet cherry and the soft fuzziness of myrrh.

The clove comes out once it warms up, giving this a slightly spicy, dirty feel. This isn't the smell of real blood, but the smell of metaphorical blood; you know, when you say that your blood's up.

It's a fleshy, passionate, sensual scent with enough sophistication to make it unique and enough familiarity to make it instantly noticeable. A very good basic scent.

I got this by accident instead of Blood Countess.

At first I tried to be optimistic, but...

Well, in the vial it screams CHERRY like nobody's business, and I mean thick, syrupy, fake cherry. On me, the cherry backs down a little bit and I can actually smell the clove, as well as, at this point, something a little musky, that reminds me of the more pleasant side of sweat and body odor, maybe the way one's hair smells at the end of a hot day.

That said, the fake cherry is still driving me crazy. The longer it dries, the more I like it, but that might as well be phrased, "The longer it dries, the less I hate it." All the scents just seem kind of disconnected to me-- like a musky scent with a whole bunch of cherry dropped in by accident.

Not at all for me.

In the bottle I can smell cherry but once I put it on, the cherry disappears right away. This is a gorgeous scent that I could wear everyday! The dragon's blood and myrrh are absolutely fantastic together and when you add spices and muskiness on top of that, I actually could swoon. :D I just can't stop smelling myself-it is that good! :P

On me, cherry scent smells of bitter almond, and I want to smell fruity, not like some almond liqueur. I don't think the cherry screams out so much, and it is the only cherry-based imp I have tried that I haven't had the urge to swap away as fast as possible. This is pleasant, and reminds a lot of a milder, spicier Port Au Prince. It must be the dragon's blood and the clove. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but it could work well on a "I want spices" day, or layered with a gentle floral.

Blood is what I wanted regular bpal Dragon's Blood to smell like. It is rich, resiny, sensual and sweet. The clove and myrrh add a great depth to the dragon's blood and make it really quite delicious. I can't wear myrrh if it's one of the main features in a blend, but here it is just marvelous. It's strong, too, and seems to have great throw. Later the clove comes out in full force and it's even spicier and more delicious. I can't wait to wear this on a cold day.

Edited by porcelina

Imp: Hello, cherry-flavored jolly ranchers! I do recall you being my mortal enemy in that you never hang around for very long

Wet on skin: Cola?

Dry down: Woody of some sort --the myrrh?

Dry: Myrrh.

As cool as the initial scent of cola is, the rest of it isn't so neat. My rating: 1/5.

BPAL has taught me that I really hate the scent of dragon's blood resin. I seem to associate it with the scent of a hideous fake-cherry/fake-floral smelling bathroom cleaner or air freshener that is used in public bathrooms around here. Even without that association though, I think it would be overly sweet and cloying.

I think there's the potential for an interesting scent in Blood; it has a hint of spiciness, but it is drowned out behind the screeching dragon's blood.

I'm learning to avoid any BPAL with "dragon" or "blood" in the title. :P

Ugh--cherry and dragon's blood, my two least-favorite scents. Since I'm trying every imp I get, I opened it up and put it on, even though I knew I would hate it.

Edited by bryghtrose

In the imp, lovely floral-y dragon's blood. On me it goes HEAVILY myrrh - to the point where I can't even detect cherry or clove, and only a faint tinge of dragon's blood. Eh. Not for me!

I love the incense-y vibe of this scent. Seems well balanced, and the notes that usually get out of control on me, dragon's blood resin and clove, are very well behaved here. Overall it's a nice moody scent, I seem to get along well with a lot of the 'red' themed scents. There seems to be just a hint of musk in this. The only thing that bothers me is much later, on the dry-down, something heavily sweet dominates the scent. My guess is the cherry because none of the other notes usually do that to me. It's kind of too much after a while, so I guess I won't get a bottle after all, but I will keep my imp.

A very spicy, foody scent that smells like it’s combined with red musk hardcore! The red musk is very strong wet and on the drydown. Could be a very gender neutral scent. Reminds me slightly of Snake Oil minus its sweet vanilla scent. Quite nice and could use up the imp. A very pleasing musk.

Wow, this is a very warm scent. It's just a little bit dusty, spicy, warm — smells warm even though it doesn't feel warm on the skin. Hmmmn, now it's faded to... I don't know but it's as if the flavor has gone out of the chewing gum. :-/ Still warm, but the spices have left the building.

I'm wearing this one today and it's one of the first BPAL scents I tried, so I thought I'd finally review it :D

Blood is a very intensly sweet dragon's blood blend! The cherry and db go togther very seamlessly to form a core of sweetness that has TONS of throw on me. The clove fits in perfectly with the sweetness, preventing it from being too candy like and adding a really nice bite. (appropriate for a scent named Blood, lol). The myrrh is the element of the scent that I sense the least. Occasionally I can get a whiff of it, but it's very much in the background for me (odd, b/c I usually amp myrrh a LOT). I love rich, sweet, spicy scents, so it was obvious that this would be a bottle purchase for me. it makes me feel very very sexy and lasts forever on my skin. If you like some of the sweeter Ars Draconis scents (Dragon's Milk, Dragon's Heart & Tann'iver, to name a few) then you should give Blood a try. It's definitely a BPAL classic. :P

edited 'cause I can't type very well...

Edited by euterpe414

Blood

Love at first sniff. Great in the bottle, wet, and dry. As it wears, it leaves a faint but welcoming scent. What a perfect blend, warm and very spicy, this scent is commanding and sexy.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

5 : Simply perfect.