Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Niflheim

The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom.

In the bottle: Dark and damp, very green and earthy.

First on: Dirt, it smells like dirt, not fresh soil like graveyard dirt, more like dusty dirt.

After a bit: The aquatic is coming out around the dirt, it reminds me of being at the cottage after a good rain. Wet forest, damp ground, stones slick with moss.

After a bit more: It seems to be staying rather true, a slight floral is there, but I can't put my nose on it, gardenia, carnation? Hmm, the aquatic qualities are fading and it's becoming more woody.

It's an interesting one, I'll have to get the hubby to try it on, he seems to be more into this style of scent.

A lovely blend but a little to masculine for me. Beautiful, rich aquatic notes, some heavy floral (violet maybe?), dirt, and spiciness. It's a little hard to pin down, but it is a very intense, brooding sort of scent.

In bottle: Damp foliage - somewhat like the outdoors after a fall rain.

On skin, wet: Rain. It smells exactly like rain.

On skin, dry: An herby, foggy dampness.

Conclusion: I can't tell if I like this or not. I may keep an imp on hand as a benefaction during ritual, but other than that, I'm ambivalent about it.

Rating: 2/5

Niflheim...

Some unidentifiable flowers with a whole lot of aquatic. Wet, murky and ozone-y. It *does* smell kind of like rain. Not bad, but not something I would wear very often. All the aquatics end up smelling like nice soap or shampoo on me, so far. Ah well...

Niflheim is musty and smells slightly like bath towels that have gone sour. It’s sharp and unpleasant, and I definitely wouldn’t wear this in public or people might thing I have b.o. Fortunately for me, it doesn’t have much throw, although the scent lasts much too long for my liking.

Murky and dark? Um...no.

I was really excited when I got this as a frimp. I tried it on last night and really liked it at first, but then the flowers and aquatics blossomed and I realized it's just like another perfume I'm trying to get rid of. If you like that kind of thing, this can be a very refreshing scent, but not "citrusy" refreshing....floral/aquatic refreshing.

Unfortunately, scents like these tend to upset my stomach.

Aquatics, a bit of green, and dark florals. Just on, I get a very astringent note and maybe some mint, but that disappears within an hour. Huh. It's interesting, and almost makes me want to keep an imp for those summer days when I want something chilly, but when it goes it leaves a nondescript aquatic + heavy floral that smells a bit like an old lady's perfume.

I quite liked the dark damp blossoms and the gloom. But now the murk is coming out as incense and/or labdanum, both of which are evil death. I cannot trust myself wearing this scent (not that it drives me wild; I do not think Nilfheim had that reputation. It drives me smelly. I can't help it that incense reminds me of solder.)

Edited by indicolite

The watery floral I'm getting from the scent is really nice!...however the "murky gloom" is not. I can definitely see this working on some people but there's a dirt note in there which I simply can't pull off. I'd love a version without the dirt...must find similar scents!

in the imp:

Aquatic-y, like some kind of blue hand soap.

wet:

Ooo weee. This gets much heavier than it smelled in the imp, right away. It's a little bit masculine. Mostly a strong, dark aquatic.

dry:

Still very dark and aquatic, with a bit of sharp greeness there too. It's not a bright and alive green, but a rotting and fading dark green. This is going to sound fairly crazy, but after an hour or so, it starts to smell like my dad's machine shop - this high, harsh, metallic note of machine oil and metal burning.

overall:

I agree with previous reviews that have said this is a gloomy, oppresive blend. It has a very damp, foggy, somber mood, with a bit of decaying vegetation underneath. It's a little strange, all in all.

In the bottle: I smell wetness and flowers. It is not as loud as some first sniffs can be. I can see how the description of damp and dark is fitting.

Wet: This is still a sodden scent. I get an edge of something sharp that reminds me of neroli, but as if it is submerged. It’s a quiet, dark, wet floral so far.

Drying down: Like a sun-heated wind rippling a bog, this one warmed up a touch when I rubbed it in. It is a muddied aquatic floral. It calls to mind a number of Swamp cards from Magic: The Gathering.

Dry: Oddly, I am still getting a warm note in the mix, like a ray of sunlight piercing the gloom or a furry animal curled up and sleeping there. The florals in it are almost too much for me. I can do some florals, but I am primarily into spices, resins, vanilla, and honey.

Later: This one morphed, gaining an almost salty note and a muted citrus. The undertone is sweetening rather than going soapy on me. The early stages really aren’t my style, but what it has become intrigues me.

Aquatic... earth tones... in the vial.

However, on the dry down the flowers come out. I'm not sure if this feeling is deep and dark and sad...or if there is hope at the end.

In the imp: dark aquatics and florals.

On me, wet: lots of murky turquoise aquatics with some sharp florals - white, but with a strong bitter green floral in here too.

On me, dry: That green note became that celery note from Lady of Shalott, over dark aquatics. Mrf.

Verdict: Urgh, no, this isn't something I'll ever wear, but hey, a frimp, so I don't mind too much.

On wet I get a rotting vegetation scent like I got from R'lyeh and Bayou the first time I tried it. It's sort of a salty, overripe green blend. Not for me at all.

imp: incredibly airy

wet: sweet, somewhat dank scent, like the forest floor

dry: dark greens and florals emerge

I can't identify a single thing (big surprise). I think I kind of like it? It's like Bayou under a long, dark shadow.

Bottle: mint, sharp, cool, a little wood

Wet: sharp hairspray

Dry: sharpness eases into a very bright perfume, definitely a cold white floral, maybe lily, slightly incensey or green herbal, pepper?

This is a fine perfume, it’s just too sharp for my tastes.

Thanks to Sidonie for the imp.

Imp: Green and sharp, with an undertone of "perfume," maybe labdanum?

Skin: I get more of a sense of the watery characteristic, like a white floral with ozone and probably some iris (as I always associate Beth's iris with that aquatic mood).

Drydown: This gets very faint very fast, just a kind of vaguely damp breath. I'm not really big on aquatics (going against my zodiac) but for anyone who does enjoy them, this is definitely a classic one.

i smell vetiver, aquatics and some sort of clear, watery floral. this is VERY aquatic...much too much for my tastes, so it's off to swaps!

This is one of the most amazing dark aquatics I have ever tried. Normally I cannot wear aquatics because they turn very soapy or cologne-like on my skin. This one, however, is gorgeous.

There is a murky, groundedness to the aquatics, and I get a sort of calm about me whenever I wear this. I really can't pick out any specific notes but whatever it is, this one is a keeper.

Bottle: It's soapy, a bit sharp. Vaguely floral, not to my taste.

Wet: Still soapy, less sharp, more flowery.

Dry: Flowers, but in that cloying pollen sot of way. Not a fan, sadly.

Niflheim

yellow oil

Imp: Ozonic, wet and bitterly sweet.

Skin: While wet, its very aquatic and ozony. The bitterness and sweetness has a feeling close to medical alcohol.

As it dries, this smells damp, foggy, and has a "Moist soil" element to it. The type of Moist soil close to being muddy. Strangely, the wetness and bitterness amped for about 10minutes after the oil set in, and then turned into a mild floral that was wet and airy.

As it dries, the flowers get airier and airier until its almost gone, and I get a hint of a herb and incense. The wet soil smell stays in the base till the end.

Its not a happy scent, it has a murky atmosphere to it.