Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Niflheim

The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom.

In the imp: Clean, herbal aquatic. Smells like it might have vetiver in there somewhere.

On the wrist: Bug spray??? It smells like bug spray, plain and simple, complete with the masking fragrance.

Drydown: It loses the bug spray overtones but the scent that I'm left with still reminds me of the fragrance in bug spray. :P Damn.

Overall: Something strange happened to this one on me. Swapped.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by Shollin

This one didn't work out for me at all. It went on smelling cold, but started to smell like old cigarettes and dirt as it dried on me. Swapped.

In bottle/imp: The scent seems very “hot” somehow and has an astringent pine note.

Immediately on skin: Sharp, soapy flowers and a cloying aquatic scent underneath it. Maybe a touch of mint, as well.

After a few minutes: A very dreary floral scent. It’s definitely aquatic in a murky way. The flowers are heavy and slightly dusty. I’m pretty sure the floral scent is vetiver, but I’m not completely sure.

Later on: This is a very deep, dark aquatic floral scent. It’s very heavy on the vetiver on me. It’s definitely not perfume-y though… when I sniff it I picture an underground stone waterway with dark, night-blooming flowers.

Niflheim gives an impression similar to a salt marsh in winter, when everything is covered with a thin skin of ice. Not that it smells like a salt marsh, mind you! It's a pleasant floral with a hint of cedar combined with, I think, an overall aquatic.

I think I like it, but I'm not likely to wear it often, so an imp will do.

Blech, blech, ptui! Oh, *gods*, this is evil. It smells like a port-a-potty. 'Damp' and 'murky' indeed, and scented with disinfectant. :P

It actually dries down better than I'd expected -- turns into an ozone-y version of those 'melon and cucumber' lotions on the market. That said, I don't happen to like those lotions, so I don't much like this.

imp: smooth aquatic with a dusty, musty smell.

wet: this is the same smoky dirt scent i got from baron samedi. the aquatic note is nearby but the smoky scent is thick in this blend.

dry: when the dustiness clears this become the best-smelling aquatic i've tried yet (with, perhaps, the exception of the pool of tears). that dusty scent takes the edge off the aquatic and makes it more smooth. it puts me in mind of fog rolling over the water, spooky and mysterious.

sniffed from the imp: smells cold... a cold, frozen floral.

on skin: the cold smell goes away, the floral develops some more but also morphs into something that smells alcohol-based -- like perfumer's alcohol or vodka or maybe even aerosol hairspray.

i get a wierd "hairspray" note from several BPAL blends, so that must be how my brain interprets some floral component.

Initial Impression: flowers, aquatics

On Wet: flowers, aquatics

On Dry: vaguely off-putting flowers

Final Impression: This is just not me.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 1.5

Received Niflheim as a frimp from a board sale. Not something I would have picked, although I'm becoming more open-minded about aquatics.

Didn't get anything much from the imp. Faint flowers maybe.

GAH!!!!! Band-Aids! This smells exactly like Languor wet -- so maybe there is Narcissus in this and that's what does the band-aid impression with my skin chemistry? I can't make another guess based on the description.

I know that Languor eventually calms down, so I wait the requisite half-hour even though I would love to wash it off right away. Starting a head-ache though....

Dries down to a nice cool aquatic floral on me, and I can no longer pick out any notes. Really pretty, but there are blends in this category which suit me better. Wish I got more darkness, but since I can't really take the band-aid wet smell it's just as well that I don't love the drydown on this.

Best,

Tzi

It starts out very aquatic and thick. Then it gets darker and even thicker. There is a bit of a soapy white floral, too.

Murky, aquatic floral in the imp. I do terribly with aquatics and I'm generally not one to gravitate towards such somber scents, so I'm not too optimistic about this blend...

This smells much more herbal and way less floral on my skin that it did in the imp. This is best in it's drydown stage-I would catch whiffs of it from far away and find it a pleasant "gray" kind of herbal/floral (if that makes any sense). But if I got too close it was kind of a stinky mess. That's my test of whether I really like an oil or not-I should be able to nuzzle my nose to my skin and inhale deeply and still love the fragrance.

On dry down this smells kind of like soot and rotten flowers. Or dirty sludgy water. Definite pass!

This is a very 'thick' aquatic blend. I'd almost say heavy. It is kinda misty (I smell swirls of ozone), and a bit of a dandelion smell going on (very similar to Szepasszony in that sense).

Oddly appealing but not great. Very interesting. It does put me in mind of a house on the beach by a foggy night.

A nondescript floral; light, pretty enough, but not remarkable. I get maybe a hint of dampness, but mostly a perfumey floral that sticks close to the skin.

In the Imp (wet):This scent sort of prickles the nose and shoot me if I'm wrong, but I detect myrrh. I had been hoping this would've been another ozone based scent, but it's not at all.

On facial cotton (dry): Whatever the note that prickles my nose isn't as strong as the nutty flavour I'm getting. It's definitely gloomy, but nothing like the Olokun (a favorite of mine).

On me: The florals are making an appearance, though subtly. It smells dusty and ancient, like some abandoned attic full of junk and damp no one wants.

This is a very perfumey floral, to my nose. It does smell dark, but it also smells like a traditional floral perfume. I tend to prefer the soft velvety floral scents to ones like these, so this one isn’t a keeper for me.

Oooh. I like this a lot. It's cool and dark and very very pretty. I can't pick out anything other than a basic floral but it's the icyness at the very bottom that intrigues me.

The aquatic base is refreshing, but the floral element is so sharp, generic, and icky. Should have been called Niflheim, Land of Soap. :P

Imp: floral and rotted wood (vetiver?)

Wet On Me: More floral now..less rotted wood

Drying Down: sharp spicy floral. Smells ancient

Dry: no rotting wood…just sharp aquatic spicy flowers

This is iffy for me. Might need to re-home

Definitely smell aquatic here and the florals aren't overly powerful. This reminds me of maybe a fresh rainstorm during late spring? The kind where it warms up after and leaves a scent of water and almost indistinguishable blossoms.I don't usually dig floral but this is so muted that I actually like this scent. Keeping this imp and may upgrade to a bottle later.

On first sniff, this kind of remind's me of the scented "My Little Pony's", that my daughter used to love. It becomes stronger and more perfumey, though it still retains the Pony smell. This is a "cold" scent to me, the scent is perfect for the description of the mists and damp flowers. A little too strong and perfumey to me, though there is a childlike vibe to it, probably the pony association. I don't mind this, for a floral, and will keep the imp for nostalgia and maybe wear once in awhile.

This is gross for a matter of seconds before the initial wetness disappears and this becomes a very gentle aquatic. It's just as serene as the name suggests - a realm of mists. This isn't cold and damp though - it's a very warming scent on my skin. There may be a hint of vetiver in this that gives it that edge? The florals aren't country-garden style blooms, they're more resonant of the small white flowers that grow in marshland. This is a difficult scent to peg down as it's NOT a floral and it not a straight up aquatic.

The more I sniff at this, the more I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

9/10. Perfect. Bottle please.

a very dark/gloomy floral scent with a hint of... cinnamon maybe? or tea? something that reminds me of Silk Road, just a little. Lovely, but only because it reminds me of a slightly floral Silk Road. Normally I'm not much of a floral person, but this smells quite nice on me.

In the imp: smells like a heavily vetiver-laden aquatic. This might be really good.

Wet on skin: vetiver and something dank and green. Not entirely pleasant.

Mid-drydown: I can't decide if I smell like flowers or a port-a-potty.

Dry (after about 30 minutes): Port-a-potty air-freshener. I can't take it. I'm washing it off.

FAIL.

Off to try something else.