Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

[No additional description provided.]

Disclaimer - This scent has, by far, caused the most confusion to my nose out of any other scent I've ever smelled.

Wet: For the most part, it smells like neroli to me. There's also some kind of metallic tinge going on, though. Maybe a little clean smelling as well. Herbal too?

Dry: The scent has faded quite a bit upon drydown. It now smells like all of the above, plus maybe something floral in the mix. (Not a strong floral scent, very light.) A little sweeter than the wet stage, too.

Thanks, nose! It's not a bad scent to me, it's just... an experience. I feel like my nose went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Edited by donkehpoo

I love this! On me, it is strongly sweet mint, with a soft floral underneath. Fades very quickly but fun while it lasts - exactly the way gateway errors aren't. XD

Edited by Wench457

I also get a LOT of mint from this one. It's almost overpowering and burned my nose a bit. There was definitely something sweet like underneath the mint, I was leaning towards a white floral but it just got completely drowned out by the mint for me. My overall impression was of spearmint chewing gum actually.

First sniff on skin: Grapefruit.

Then, soap.

Then, floral?

Then, really nice bath.

Then pine.

It's a strange sweet, floral, fruity?, soapy scent. Then randomly bubblegum. Weirdo scent, you.

Wet: Slightly fruity, minty, green leafy veggies, specifically strawberry and spearmint and cucumber. Mostly spearmint, though, with aquatic edges.

Dry: The green gets spicy, like when you pull out a handful of lawn grass and tear it in two.

Dry-down: No change. It's a cross between Tennis Match and View of Cascading Cherry Blossoms. Fresh, green, aquatic.

This was included as a frimp in my latest order. I :wub3: the Lab!

My first impression is of Sprite, and then it starts smelling to me kind of like the snow note that's in some of the Yules. Watery, slushy, reminded me of some old Yule I haven't smelled in years. I think maybe Darkling Thrush? (I dabbed a little Talvikuu onto my other arm to see if that was it, but nope, that's gone super piney with age and is very different from 504.) I think maybe the Lab was making a scent pun on the site being "frozen"! :laugh:

I'm getting some citrus a little later on too, I think maybe lime. Overall, this is clean, cool, green, unisex.

Also a frimp. Thank you, Lab!

I got the same citrus-mint-aquatic-snow sense. The back of one finger, where I first applied it, seems slightly more minty while the other finger, the one I blotted it with, is more sweet/floral. Any waft of pine disappeared quickly. This is clean, fresh, just right for... refreshing.

Edited by melange

Frimped by the lab, many thanks!

This is so interesting. The mint seems really sharp and bracing (in a good way!) and I want to say it's spearmint, but then it gets sweeter like peppermint. Does remind me of a pine/citrus snow. I also get some lime, and maybe some grass though that could just be all the green-associations mingling. There's definitely more going on here, but that is the best I can do to parse it out. I love green scents and this one is a bit different than my others and wish it came in a bottle!

I love this! After it gets through its very strong mint stage (which I also like) it become something herbal with a hint of mint every now and then. Very good for summer, kind of reminds me of a cool alcoholic drink on a hot day. Very refreshing.

In the imp: Mainly sweet and minty, with what I think are some floral touches. Think candied mint leaves and violets. This is a really delightful sweetness - not synthetic or candy-like, but not noticeably honey-like, either. More like nectar.

Wet: A much sharper mint (roseus, I agree - the sweeter mint is peppermint, and this sharper one is spearmint), and a touch of bracing, resin-y pine. I actually don't think I've ever experienced this particular snow note, but it does smell like something BPAL would use for snow.

Dry: And back to sweet peppermint. No more pine to speak of, but now there's something cool and almost aquatic-smelling; I could definitely see it being cucumber. This is going to be one hell of a summer scent! There's a general feeling of herbaciousness, but I can't put my finger on any herbs in particular, so it could just be the intermingling of mint and cucumber. A wonderful green scent!

504 Gateway Time-out reminds me of some classic BPAL...maybe Ultraviolet? This is mint, citrus, and a touch of snowy ozone on me, refreshing but also a little discomfiting. If this is a digital dead end, it's a nice one.

Thank you for the frimp, Labbies! I giggled when I saw the name.

This is SO refreshing after the heatwave my region's been experiencing: a cooling green aloe with mint and a tinge of ozone.

Fresh white musk, a bit of citrus and a bit of mint. This really smells like Lighting Storm hair gloss from a few years back, which makes me a happy camper.

In the imp: Melon, citrus (I am thinking grapefruit), and some mint. The melon makes me think of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat.

Wet: Honeydew melon, yep, that’s grapefruit, and some refreshing (but light) mint. I’m somewhat reminded of Peach XII, but with melon instead of peach.

Dry: Ohh, it’s the minty, ozonic snow note. So snow, honeydew melon, and citrus. No wonder it reminds me of Peach XII, but with a different fruit note!

Verdict: Keeping.

To me this smells like Cheshire Cat with something lemony added (not lemon rind, not a herbal lemon note, but something lemony). I think what reminds me of Cheshire Cat is grapefruit and lavender and perhaps chamomile and some musk. I see mint mentioned in other reviews, and indeed that may be there also but only a hint of it, not at all a overpowering mint, not on me.

I've heard of batch variations, but geez...The scent I get is mint, champagne/ginger ale, and the lab's snow note - in that order. Then they mingle and play. Very refreshing and pretty. If I could buy a bottle of this, I would.

Odd. My first impression was of a mishap at a cocktail bar. Not overtly boozy, but carrying the feeling of sloshed icy drinks. A 'You got your mojito in my daiquiri!', 'No, you got your daiquiri in my mojito!' moment. Definitely crushed ice. Definitely mint. As for the fruity component, it feels pink to me. Could be guava, or melon, or even a kiss of strawberry. Summery and refreshing. When all else fails, order another! :tongue:

Edited by AraliaShine

Yes! Citrus-mint-snow, I thought Id hate it. Refreshing yet mysterious, it doesnt quite smell familiar, yet individual notes keep popping out. A little ozone, a little fresh laundry, strong at first mint, lemon underlying...I love it. You guys give the best frimps!

Edited by nekan

This smells of ozone and delicate peppermint at first, pretty close to the lab's snow note. It's cool and calming and very white. I'm not getting anything floral. No citrus either, but melon was mentioned, and I could believe that. There's something watery and sweet and not quite cucumber that could be a light melon note. This is lovely and soothing.

Edited by VetchVesper

Minty, sweet, and... damp? Like that startling damp chill when you pull a blanket out of the dryer and wrap yourself up in it, but you jumped the gun and it's not actually fully dry yet. I don't know how (or even why) that exact feeling got turned into a scent, but it damn well did and I'm so very confused, but also very, very impressed. The sweet is a kind of fruity-candy sweet; it took me a while to pinpoint it, but it actually reminds me of the exact smell of fruity mentos?

It's such a weird combination of smells, I feel like my brain doesn't really know how to parse it.

Mint chewing gum in a container that used to have fruity mentos in it, and also you just washed your hands? An open container of tide pods and the dawning realization that you just put two packs of minty gum and half a roll of fruity mentos from two years ago through the wash? Brushing your teeth in the shower and getting fruity shampoo on your toothbrush and minty toothpaste everywhere but your mouth?

Unsettlingly sweet, minty-clean confusion.

I don't know when (or even if) I would ever reach for this again, but it's so bizarre, I'm delighted I got to experience it. I'm also really intrigued by that damp note; I'd love to try it again in something with less chewing gum and soap.

An aquatic mint in the bottle. Goes on as a minty, snowy aquatic. This is very fresh and green; I like it! It eventually settles into the Lab’s minty snow note (not the one in Snow White, the other one). z_z is right; this is in the F5 family. I would totally buy a bottle of this.

Minty, cold, and a touch of metal. Then the cold dissipates and something green, like the green in Envy peeks out. 

It’s very strange and surprisingly wearable on my skin as normally snow  or aquatic/ozone as others have mentioned goes straight into headache territory on me. It’s a jolt of a scent and I think I like it. I’ll definitely keep the imp for winter months. 

Starts with a minty ozone, then settles into a sweet mint with melon. Refreshing and light, perfect for summer.