Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our delicate spun-sugar lace, grass-crushed and tobacco-stained, with hints of rue, pale sap, green fig, green cognac, and opium poppy accord.

Wet and upon application, this has a sharp, "mountain spring" laundry detergent feel to it, but that quickly dissipates. Ultimately, this settles into a creamy, grassy cognac, with a hint of fig - very green and appropriate for spring. I have a feeling this will age really well.

Another lovely addition to the laces!

In the bottle: Very green and evocative of spring! The green notes are sweetened by the Lace base. Of the green notes, I get the crushed grass and green cognac the most. The scent has a quality to it that is reminiscent of a freshly bitten-into green apple.

Wet: The crushed grass note is the first to leap out at me, followed by the green cognac. I'm not familiar with the scent of rue, so I can't pick out that note, but I am getting a bit of the pale sap, which is lovely. Behind these notes, I can smell the creamy Lace base, tobacco, and the opium poppy. After a bit, the green fig note emerges. The aforementioned green apple quality I got from the bottle is more prominent in the crook of my elbows, where the tobacco and opium poppy notes are also more more prevalent.

Dry: On my wrists, the sweet Lace base is now playing a great role, backed by some (much mellower) crushed grass, green cognac, and tobacco.

In the crooks of my elbows, the green notes reign supreme. The tobacco and opium poppy have retreated to the background.

This holds true after several hours of wear, with the scent on my wrists becoming sweeter over time.

Verdict: I was somewhat worried about how green this would be and whether or not it would play nicely on my skin when I ordered a bottle, but I need not have worried! Emerald Lace is a beautiful addition to the Lace family, and I'm happy to have a bottle.

I've got to say the reviews above are really spot on. It's only 2 days out of the mailbox but it's already changed significantly. The first sniff was close to irish-springy - a green cologne with a yellow lacey note which I think is the tobacco+lace. Now it's much more of the HM Cemetery green with a hint of soap and the prominent lace note. Very fresh. Staying power is good but for me the dry down is a sweet tobacco lace. I'm not a big tobacco fan so the dry down is not winning me over. Setting it aside and will try again in a few weeks.

I love this lace! :D It is fresh and clean, but sweet and playful at the same time.

In the bottle, it is super green, grassy, and slightly astringent. There is a nondescript, subtle note lingering at the bottom, but it is definitely there.

Wet on skin, the green notes develop more complexity - I get grass, something green apple-like, and something reminiscent of bamboo. The lace and tobacco do come out to play, but they are almost-but-not-quite overpowered by all that green. (This is my favorite stage)

More dry, the greens do fade significantly; the lace is most prominent here, with underlying tobacco, and the green notes are just barely there at the end of a sniff.

Dried on clothing (close approximation of use in a scent locket), all the notes are much more even and are all there at the same time. It does have a bit of an Irish Spring soapy quality, but I find it quite pleasant.

Edit:

As the hours go on, EL in my skin does fade to the same scent as my dried-on-clothing observations.

Overall, (for me personally) EL has a medium throw, and doesn't morph too much after it reaches that well-rounded stage.

Interestingly enough, I could still smell just the tiniest lingering bit on the inside of my elbow when I woke up this morning! It was incredibly light, but it was definitely still there, and still nice!

Edited by AirimirOfGondor

This starts out smelling like walking through a grass lined fairway, surrounded by fig trees heavy with fat, green fruit. Something about this seriously reminds me of teeing off, the golf cart loaded down with boozy cocktails and sticky cigars. After a few minutes the rue comes out. YES I have grown alot of rue in my herb patch, so I'm familiar with its scent and the sort of magic it does. It is mostly a base note here which adds an overall 'wildness' to the blend, and dare I say 'witchyness' :werewolf: The drydown deepens and the tobacco lace unfolds for the finish, while the grassy figs soften and glisten in the background. This is a gorgeous addition to the lace collection.

Edited by Jenjin

I don't get a huge grass hit with this at first; instead it's allll green congac and lace. The grass comes out a bit more once the booze burns off a little, along with the tobacco and rue. To me, this smells like a green papered victorian room-all rich cognac, tobacco, and vanilla. Another hit!

I hate to be the first one to dislike this, but skin chemistry is what it is. It’s like overly-sweet, pungent Irish-Spring qualities. It’s either the cognac or the rue that I’m not enjoying. It’s like old lady perfume mixed with some in-your-face generic green men’s cologne. Off to swaps.

bear in mind that i amp tobacco like MAD! this oil has three distinct phases on me

wet: GREEEEEEEN!!!!! sparkling, effervescent, sweet, sun-warmed green. like having a picnic in the grass and you spilled some champagne on the ground and the breeze is blowing through the trees. i get the Irish Spring bit but on my skin, the sweetness of the Lace tempers it. i get the grass, sap, green cognac, and fig. but it's a green fig, not a ripe jammy fig.

dry-2 hours: tobacco. just tobacco. it's sweet green tobacco. but it's tobacco.

2 hours-fade: the sweet Lace base. vanilla powder puff. a hint of tobacco.

i bought this pretty much instantly without considering the notes too carefully. i've been trying to avoid tobacco because i literally amp it soooooooo much. but i really like this oil. it's great for spring, it's very unique. throw and wear length are decent, as well.

A beautiful grassy, juicy green lace. The rue and tobacco give a little warmth and depth. But overall very bright and springy. Smells like laying on sun-soaked grass with fruity blooms on the breeze.

Fresh vanilla greens with a touch of tobacco and opium poppy. This is one a green hypnotic blend. It's cool fresh green, a base of vanilla and underneath the darker tobacco lurks. Good throw and wear length.

Thank you to my wonderful fairy for snagging this for me! <3

Wet: Green apple and soap. :blink: But only for a second, and then it smells like grass. The sweet, creamy tobacco, vanilla and cognac underneath could only be a Lace scent. Mmm. I was worried about the opium, but it's not amping and dominating yet. This is VERY green, but I do love that. And I love the complexity that the Lace base gives it. I do wish the fig came through a bit stronger. But it's lovely.

Dry: This is beautiful. As it dries the green gets less pungent. The sweetness of the cognac and tobacco come through beautifully, and I think I do smell a bit of creamy fig. Lovely!! Can't wait to wear it in warmer weather.

I am really feeling this Lace! Sometimes I have to delay wearing the Laces in particular, but everything is coming together nicely with this one right out of the box!
In the bottle and wet on skin, the grass and green sap notes are most prevalent, with the vanilla of the spun-sugar lace bringing some sweetness to balance it.

But once warmed on the skin and dried down, the scent becomes more complex, mixing elements of herbal-green with the sweet of the sugar and the slight bitterness of the cognac. The notes seem a little disjointed to each other, even as they flow, but the flow is making it work somehow. My experience of the green sap note is primarily in Strawberry Moon blends, so I gather than the sap will stay sharp and sticky as it ages, with the sweeter notes shifting around it. I'm looking forward to see how this scent changes as the months grow warmer!

When I first dab Emerald Lace on, I get that wet, green honeysuckle note the lab uses mixed with a backing of sugary cream. Then it morphs, and I'm pretty sure I'm smelling the poppy from Slippery Poppy Tincture. It's light, bright and fruity floral, but the darker notes are emerging too from underneath. I'm starting to get whiffs of tobacco when I smell my arm, along with something a bit bitter and herbal, which could be the rue, or maybe something about the way the notes are blending. I think this is the point where I could see it sort of slipping into soap territory because its sort of nose tingly and discordant, but it never does on my skin. The fig makes a cameo with a sweet, but more rounded fruitiness, and finally, this dries down to a medium weight, fruit scented tobacco with a hint of sweet creaminess. There's still a bit of greeness when I put my nose on my arm, but it's a dark green, not the scintillating emerald at the beginning. I was hesitant to buy this blend because I worried about green musk b/c I amp it to high heaven, but I'm not getting any here.

I really love this and am overjoyed to have swapped for a bottle. :D I'm definitely starting to get what all the "Lace" fuss is a bout.

This is a beautiful and quite distinct lace.

Freshly applied, Emerald Lace is a sparkling green scent. It smells like sweet, sun-bright grass -- grass that's the vibrant green color of absinthe -- distilled in a tube and given a sharp aquatic and slightly opium edge. I wonder if it has galbanum in it.

Within a few moments, the sharp aquatic vibe drifts off, and vanilla cognac enters the scene, spring-like with sap and a touch of mild green fig. This is a quiet orchard fig, not at all Fig Newtony. A tree fig, not an earth fig. The blend still smells green, but now it's starting to soften with the sepia of vanilla cognac lace.

Once dry, the blend is a green-tinted vanilla cognac lace, only mildly sweet. I never catch any tobacco from it.

Another 'light' lace. This one is along the lines of Summer Lace, and other fresher laces. I'm getting herbal along with the Lab's lace note. It threatens to go soapy on me, but never does. It actually falls kind of flat on me, and I won't be needing any more than the imp.

Wet: Grass, something herbal, a little tobacco, and... soap.

Dry: The green cognac has come out, and is very distinct. Blending in nicely with the tobacco. It's become only borderline-soapy now, which is a major improvement. This is much, much better than the wet stage.

I'm torn on this scent. I think I'll be OK with just a decant's worth.

Until now I've only tried emerald and lavender lace. Both have a distinct note I can't stand when dry. It's probably the lace note.

Wet emerald lace is really lovely! It's strong green grass! I like that! But as it dries, the lace part emerges and does not work with my skin chemistry. It was good to try it, but it's not for me.

In the bottle, this is a sharp but sophisticated almost green-apple scent; it's very reminiscent of the very old fabled "green apple variant" of Black Lace, which I had a long time ago. On my skin wet, the fruitiness stays, but the tobacco immediately rears its too-sweet head, which I had feared--and then it immediately gets tamped down under an almost powdery appley tartness and an overwhelming sense of green. This very much lives up to its name! It shares some vine / grass / greenery character with the fresh greenery notes in Rose Red.

As it dries down, it does what all apple scents do for me, which is turn a bit powdery, but weirdly I don't mind it so much because it's still being supported by the fresh greenery and the sweetness of the tobacco. The tobacco is very present, since I amp it, but the other notes keep it well in check.

Celery leaf. Astonishingly accurate, in-your-face celery leaf. I feel like I tripped and fell face-first into an organic farmstand at the height of summer.

Not something I'd wear but fuck, Beth, how do you DO this magic?!?!

The hyper-realistic grass note scared me for a moment. I get why some have compared it to heavily scented soaps. But it calms down pretty quickly and smells more like a picnic in fancy dress. I love the cognac/opium/tobacco lace blends, and I like this herbal variation on the theme. It takes me by surprise on dry-down -- what's that gorgeous smell? Oh, it's me! Rich, smoky, just sweet enough.

Green green green invigorating green in the bottle, sort of like Irish Spring lace. That's not awful. On the wrists, the green cognac emerges and the grassy aroma dies down. In the crook of my elbow, it's magical. I smell less of the green grass and more of the sweetness of the lace tempered by a little opium poppy. The scent in my elbow is my favorite variant of this.