• Members
  • 3,585 posts
  • Mood:squeeable
  • Dog
  • Leo
  • United States

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are."

The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.

"Fuck you," said the raven."

Glossy black, rough, and gravelly: violet-gilded opoponax, black patchouli, myrrh, and oak leaf.

Smokey in the bottle.  Rocks.  Gray gravel.  

On, wet, a weirdly sweet, dark, biting caramelly resin.  The topnotes of the resin recede a bit and I'm getting a bit of the burnt/dried leaves note, but not much, and it's tempered by a dry woodsiness.  There's a depth beneath this all with the patchouli and myrrh lending a soft, but solid base.  I was hoping for a bit more front-forward violet, but I'm not getting that as much with the initial drydown.  Over time, the resins/woods unify and turn more towards a very excellent, subdued but dark patchouli, with a touch of rockiness - not Black Opal rockiness, but... still a huskiness.  There are whispers of violet petals but don't be afraid if you're not a floral person.  This is just enough to lend a glint to the feathers.

I will not F this blend!  It's quite good!

#2 Jenjin

Jenjin

sexy swapper

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Mood:Curious Cat
  • SotD:Flickering Lantern
  • Monkey
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:21 AM

Dark, almost muddy patch upon application, it's really earthy and I'm left looking for the "midnight raven" I was hoping for. Thankfully, the dank wood settles down into smoky resins, while the dark, gloomy sweet, violet resins warm up to float atop. After a couple minutes, the drydown is all glistening blackest purple notes. Simple, yet great. Dry, yet slightly sweet, rather silky, and smooth. There's a palpable, silky, mellow woody feel at the very base. A black floral opaline scent, the smell of feathers and dusty wings, luminous and decadent, and so nicely resinous-almost silvery. The violet is there, although much restrained, just a drop of color. After a while it gets velvety like the night sky, quite unique in its own way and wonderful on my skin. 

Edited by Jenjin, 19 June 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#3 galahad

galahad

obsessive precious hoarder

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
  • Mood:Chilled, literally
  • SotD:Theodosius
  • Nothing Selected
  • Cancer
  • Australia

Posted Today, 08:02 AM

In the Bottle:
Musky opopanax

On the Skin:
Starts off as a refined myrrh and then the patchouli and astringent oak emerge to sharpen the blend.  I don't specifically get any violet but there is a floral aspect to this.

On the Drydown:
This does become dark and stony on the drydown and, best of all, the opopanax emerges with more strength the further it dries and warms.  Very nice and should age beautifully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users