Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

Wow this is gorgeous. Its very light and very creamy. I can really smell the ginger alot from wet to dry which is wonderful because i love the smell of ginger. Its not too sharp though because it is tempered and softened by the milk and honey which makes it nice and sweet and eatable. I got this as a freebie with an order but already have an imp on the way. This is a scent that would need to be slathered all over and probably have to be reaplied often because it doesnt have remarkable lasting qualities. Thats ok because it is just utterly gorgeous and i could see myself wearing this all the time, like Alice. Another ace from the lab! :P :D

I got a freebie of this after I had already ordered another imp of it, too. :P

In bottle: Sharp ginger like in Kumiho.

On me: Warm milky ginger. A little like eggnog with spices on top, a little like chai. The milk does remind me of Alice a bit.

It's cozy and comforting in a different/exotic way. I think this would be really nice in a bath.

Sudha Segara is like a cross between Dana O'Shee and Alice, and Queen of Sheba. The milk and honey makes this light, yet creamy, but the ginger provides a little hot bite. The ambrosial blend is a languorous, creamy floral. Wearing this blend is like much like backfloating in a pool of milk, blissed out on much Valium, with the scent of vanilla and ginger blossoms in the air. Sweetly lovely, but mysterious and indescribable as well.

Sudha Segara

Vial: Mild and sweet. Something in it reminds me of my grandmother's house. It's very pleasant.

Wet: There's something green to it, like the leaves of flower. But, it's mostly creamy with a sort of spiced honey to it.

After 10: It smells like a creamy, honey spiced milk bath. Which, of course, is the point! I just want to soak in the scent of it.

After 20: It's just heavenly. The florals are very faint, dominated by the ginger spiced, honied milky creamyness. I can see it as a very good fragrance for a day where you need to maintain your calm and be at peace. I'm quite pleased that the lab sent me a free imp of this with my order. Thanks, lab!! :P

Got this as a bonus imp as well.

Wet the ginger is all I can smell, crisp and bright, just like fresh ginger root.

As it dries it turns creamy and a bit sweet, but the ginger stays sharp somewhere underneath. It's really beautiful, though it has this edge on me that's threatening to turn soapy. I don't think it's quite me, but it is a lovely scent.

I too got this as a bonus imp with one on the way... and that's not a problem because I really like it. This does not smell at ALL like I was expecting; I thought it would be softer and milkier and sweeter. Instead on me it's a sharp spicey ginger with an edge of something green??? -- I can't figure out what that note is. All I know is this is oddly addictive and invigorating.

pkwench let me try this out in a corner of Jose Pepper's Mexican restaurant today while we were stinking the place up with BPALs. :P

In the vial, this is a spicier version of Dana O'Shee, but without the almond twist of Dana. It's smooth and creamy, and I definitely get orange and coconut along with honey.

On me, there is no sweet and no creamy -- just orange peel, burnt coconut, and twisted, corruptive ginger. It's very soft and only lasts about an hour, but it's so damn good that I have to buy at least a 5ml of it for frequent application.

Sudha Segara

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This is a sweet, light, airy floral. I can’t distinguish individual notes – it is blended so well. This scent seems to be promoting my morning sleepiness … mayhaps I shall have to test it as a sleep oil.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This continues to sweeten as the ginger and honey take a front seat. It is certainly warm and cozy … and I think I like Lab’s, “blend of Ambrosia.” *yawns* This is such a comfy scent – I can totally see myself wearing this for a lazy day, curled up on a couch (or in front of a fireplace), reading a book … very languid.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is certainly a calming scent. It lasted pretty much throughout the day – and I still catch a faint whiff every so often, as I leave for home. I never got the milky or creamy that a lot of others have mentioned … crazy skin-chemistry. Definitely keeping the imp.

Edited by Faerykin

I too got this as a bonus imp with one on the way... and that's not a problem because I really like it. This does not smell at ALL like I was expecting; I thought it would be softer and milkier and sweeter. Instead on me it's a sharp spicey ginger with an edge of something green??? -- I can't figure out what that note is. All I know is this is oddly addictive and invigorating.

I'd have to agree with you. It is totally not what I was expecting, but it is WONDERFUL, nonetheless! I guess I was expecting something creamy like Dana O'Shee with ginger added in.

With Sudha Segara, I am not getting any "creaminess" on me. Mostly just bright florals, something fresh and green and a little ginger. The first thing I thought of when I smelled it was Chanel Cristalle, for some reason--although I haven't smelled Cristalle in years.

ETA: I adore this on drydown---the ginger is there, as are some flowers, but then I smell leather in the background.

I'm definitely ordering a big bottle of this!

Edited by Scylla

sudha segara:

in the bottle, it is soo light I can barely detect

anything. But then ginger makes it's entrance and it is light and soft. To me, much softer than it is in Kumiho. When I initially put some of this one, the fragrance didn't change much on me and I wondered where the milk and honey was. Honey on me is

generally strong and does not go away. But as it is drying I am picking up more of a creamy sweet scent, that is blending well with the ginger. I think I was

hoping for a strong scent since there is honey in it, but that is not so. It is very soft sweet scent, thankfully not a bitingly sweet scent or I would have

to give up the 5ml bottle I just got along with my Harvest moon order. Hmm, now there might be an interesting layering to try later.

When I tore into my latest BPAL box, my little imp of Sudha Segara kept beckoning to me. In many ways it's the antithesis of my favorite BPAL oils which tend to be dark and incensey---and Sudha Segara is definitely light and creamy, with rays of ginger, peachflower, coconut milk, honey, and a herbal viridescence that's almost reminscent of dandelions. Like dandelion seeds, this oil drifts in the air and on my skin with an airy sweetness and serenity. It's gorgeous.

This smells like peace to me. Like rest after suffering. Sudha Segara knows much and says nothing. :P

Sudha Segara is very soft and gentle on me. I actually have a hard time smelling it up close to my wrist but I can catch whiffs of it around me. It smells like mostly milk with a tiny bit of ginger, not much sweetness yet still not sharp at all. I wish it would last longer, it's gone in less than an hour. But I have a feeling it will be like Dana O'shee for me, one that I find so soothing and good for sleeping that I will always have to have some around.

ETA: Yup, now I am seriously hooked on this one, I knew this was going to happen. :P

Edited by ChupaChup

First sniff: Oh dear heavenly wow. Sudha Segara is amazing. It’s gingery… sweet, rather than biting… and the milk softens and blurs the edges into flowing gold. I don’t think I’ve ever smelled anything quite like this.

Wearing: It’s more subtle on my skin than I expected, but I feel like I’m inside a swirly golden aura of sweetness. The scent directly on my wrists is a tiny bit soapy at first, but quickly softens to match the aura. It’s very warm, very soothing and very quiet.

I got this as a freebie imp. Gotta love freebies :P Then I looked up the ingredients and groaned. Milk and Honey don't do wonderful things on my skin. If only my body chemisty was different, and I could wear my beloved Alice, rather than just simmer her as a room scent.

In the bottle: Wow, this does smell like a spicy Alice. Sort of like a Thai Alice, with coconut milk and hints of ginger and curry spices with some sweet numminess. I would eat this sauce :D

Wet: Well, the milk and honey haven't gone all powdery on me yet. There's a really nice creamy spice thing going. It's really soft and subtle. I also have to stick my wrists under my nose to smell it.

Dry down: Yup, there's the soap smell. I was hoping that the other scents would overpower the milk and honey and make it smell all yummy like in the bottle. I smell like sweet soap. I like the Ambrosia smell, I think that's what I'm getting over the soapyness. It's nice, but the soap smell makes my nose itch :D

I'm going to give this a try as a room scent tonight, I think.

It actually reminds me of a vanilla-scented goat's milk soap that I really love. Not that it smells like goats at all...on me, it's all milk and ginger, and something vaguely grapefruity? It's not like my usual scents at all, but I love it! I'm definitely going to buy a bigger bottle, as its staying power is a bit wimpy. It's very clean and homey. I'm happy to have found it.

Edited by Sibyl

Sudha Segara embodies my favorite things about Thai food, ginger, coconut milk... yum!

I got it as a freebie in my last order and I'm not disappointed. It's wonderful. I'll definetly be sad to see the end of this imp. I may even be able to seduce the boyfriend with it, as he loves Thai as much as I do.

Sudha Segara starts out as a very true, spicy ginger on me. A lovely warm scent! After about 15 minutes, it starts to mellow into a comforting, sweet ginger. At this stage, it starts to develope a slight clean/fruity note. About half an hour later it's turned to a citrus-y clean fragrance with just a hint of spice. I really like this one, although I do wish I got a longer stage of the sweet vanillic ginger. I have a feeling this would suit my boyfriend quite well.

First Impression: Sudha Sigara is quite ginger-y.

Second Impression: On the drydown it begins to bloom...creamy and soothing. Honeyed ginger cream. It's a very quiet scent, no throw from this beauty.

Final Analysis: I would love to see an entire line of posh spa products with this scent. Picture it...A warm steam room scented with this ambrosial fragrance, being slathered and rubbed with this honeyed ginger cream. The ultimate in pampering and relaxation.

In the bottle and when wet, Sudha Segara emitted a really green note to me. "This is milk?"

Once it dried, though, oh my goodness, it was gorgeous. This scent is absolutely exquisite, like warm milk with honey. I thought I smelled something that was like honeysuckle, but I could be way off.

This is the fragrance that threatened my arm when my boyfriend smelled it on me. He would NOT give me back my arm, as he kept sniffing and sniffing, not something he normally does. He has allergies as well, and Sudha didn't bother him at all.

This would probably make a fantastic sleep scent. I took a nap the first time wearing it and I think I fell asleep with my nose squished into my arm.

I'm thinking about getting a big bottle for his mother for the holidays, but I may sneak myself a bottle as well!

-doreen

in the vial: Pale bamboo green color...reminds me of something, but I can't place it.

on my skin: Kind of soapy, but pleasant. I get the warm milk with honey smell, and it's very, very nice. This doesn't remind me of Dana O' Shee or anything, though, because of its slight soapy greenness. It reminds me of when you just get out of the shower after using yummy shea butter soap. :P

A comforting scent. :D

Sweet but something sharp in the vial.

On me this blends into that gorgeous almost marzipan concoction that Dana O'Shee does on me, soothing and creamy. The ginger peeks through a bit to add some spice and in the end this is a little less sweet than Dana O'Shee. Exquisite and I think a keeper :P

This is what I wanted Dana O'Shee to be. It has the same creamy richness, but with the tang of ginger instead of almonds, which I prefer. Within an hour of wearing this one, I knew I was going to need more than one imp.

The ginger is quite strong, and is the first thing I noticed when wet. It mellowed out quite a bit once it was on the skin, but managed to maintain enough of it's bite to remain interesting. Short version: I love this one. It's a keeper.

ADDED Nov. 25:

I was rather certain I would love this one based on all the notes, and was thrilled to have a freebie thrown in with my last order. In the vial, the ginger pops out at me -- and, since I love ginger, I have no problem with that. On, it slowly evolves into a creamier scent, with the milk note taking the edge off the ginger. However, the ginger definitely remained the most prominent note. It is a very straight-forward fragrance on me, just ginger and the slight hint of milk. I definitely love having simple scents around for days when I am in the mood for something clean and direct, and this is perfect for that. It manages to be warm and simple at the same time.

Also, it is a fabulous room scent. I'll definitely be picking up a larger bottle.

Edited by Shollin

Sudha Segara:

In vial - slightly lemon, very much full of sweet honey. The ginger is there, but it's slight.

On skin - a lemon-honey mix...I don't get ginger anymore.

After an hour - Holy crap! This is a must for people who like Lush's Honey I Washed The Kids or BNever Shower Gel...it smells like milk and honey. I don't normally go for this kind of scent on its own, but this smells sophisticated and good. This makes me want to put on my pyjamas.

I don't get any ginger at all from this one, even in the bottle. This smells like a much better version of Fresh's Sugar scent - like how the body lotions smells instead of the perfume. Or if there was such a thing as Aqualina Yellow Sugar, it would smell like this. It's perfect - not too tart, not too sweet, not too anything - just perfect sweet, mild, lemony goodness.

First: I love Alice. Dana O'Shee is too foody for me. SS is in the middle.

Moving on: I wanted to love this one, and instead I merely like it.

Initial impression: Take the carnation out of Alice and replace it with Embalming Fluid.

First wearing: Went from Alice/Lemon Pledge, to soap, to gone in under 45 minutes flat.

Second wearing: I really slathered this time. I mean, I practically bathed my arm in it. I still get the Alice/Lemon Pledge phase. This lasted for about 30 minutes. Then something really nice happened and the Lemon Pledge, while still there, fades a little bit, and it starts to morph into a very creamy, spicy, honey scent that is only vaguely reminiscent of ginger (it's not a biting ginger like Vixen). It's beautiful and I wish the whole experience was like this 30 minutes of creamy, spicy goodness. It's not as rich or spicy as a chai, but more like those steamed milk drinks with a shot of a flavored syrup drinks they sell, a shot of a spicy honey flavored syrup. But soon, soap. Again. However, because I slathered, when I woke up this morning I could still smell fragrance on my skin where I slathered the Sudha Segara...but that fragrance was still the soap that appeared an hour or so after applying. No more morphing, it appears.

Conclusion: Layered with the right single note, it could be fantastic. But due to the beautiful creamy/spicy/milky phase not even lasting a full hour on me, I wouldn't be inclined to purchase a 5 or 10 mL bottle, but could maybe be coerced into an imp now and again. In the meantime, maybe I'll figure out what single notes to layer with some of the other milky scents to get that Sudha sensation...or just stick with my beloved Alice.