Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

Same swap mix-up, drive by test.
Imp: Oh yummy! Bring me some of that tea.
On me wet: It's almost like sweet tea. I was hoping for something more chai.
Drydown: Still strong tea, no milk, no honey.
Verdict: definitely try again at some point, just not sure about this one..

Imp: Sharp and soapy.

Wet: Dry, sharp and soapy...there's a note in here that I'm really not liking.

Drydown: Nope, I think it's the ginger that's gone all dry and powdery and peppery.

Overall: I don't like it. I was hoping this would go creamy on my skin, but alas, my skin took it and went :P . No creamy, just powder! Wah.

Oro

Sudha Segara

I got this in a swap with amrita. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: Sounds very sensual, with a drop of brightness.

in the vial: I get a faint citrus (orange-like, not lemon-like) note paired with sharp ginger.

on me:

It’s mostly ginger on me, though there is that faint citrus note. I can tell that there’s more here, because it’s not as sharp as pure ginger, but it’s not really coming out from the background.

In 15 minutes:

It has softened somewhat, but I’d still consider this a bright scent, with the orange and ginger giving the main flavor. It’s another I’d consider as a “strolling through the market” scent, like Harlot, but here were over in the spice and fruit area, not the floral stand near the spices. It manages to be summery without being too sweet and fruity.

In 30 minutes:

Whoa, it’s gone. As in, completely gone. No, wait, maybe not. Ginger is still tickling the back of my throat as I sit here. I really like this, but I do wish it was stronger.

Overall:

As I don’t think this is getting any stronger, I figure I can sum it up now. I really like it, and I think I’ll keep the imp, even though I wish it was stronger. This is great for summer.

I will start by saying that I cannot say enough good things about Sudha Segara. A dreamy idea, an exotic name, and a beautiful scent.

I don't like scents that are too far removed from the natural smell of skin. This manages to be warm and sweet without being too cloying or foody. It is milky, creamy and comforting with a touch of the exotic. It can be worn every day, and seems unexpected in any situation.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Ginger powder.

In the imp: Cream, ginger and sweet honey.

On skin, wet: Huh. Kind of powdery, but sweet, and with a definite "milk"-y quality. I get a bit of ginger, but nothing prominent.

On skin, dry: Powdery cream, a hint of honey and ginger. Faint, a second-skin kind of scent.

Conclusion: I go back and forth on this one. Sometimes it's creamy, gingery bliss; others, it's a faint ginger powder.

Edited by Aredhel

Very fresh to start. The sweet milk's a little darkened by--the ambrosia, I'd assume. Dry, it's kind of baby-smelling, but not overly sweet. I like it, but it's not my fave.

Oh, I think I'm going to cry. I had all these visions of swimming in sea of milk with ginger and honey and the sweet scent of pollen in the air. It's just not happening.

At least it was an education. I am now familiar with the dreaded descriptor, "soapy." Sudha Segara's transformation is instantaneous on me and it's not good at all. It's the smell of the stuff you pump out of the hand pumps in a public restroom...or those little shell-shaped soaps that people put out on their vanities and never use. It's not offensive, but it's not pretty either.

And this smells so nice in the bottle, with a gorgeous ginger bite and a sweet, milky undercurrent. I've tried it twice now, hoping it would work, but alas. So sad. Stupid skin.

First impression and dry down: This is a very light and creamy acquatic on me - kind of like a generic LUSH bathwater - but, so light that I can barely detect it. I don't get any ginger at all. I like it but would have to slather frequently, hence, the lower rating than I would otherwise give it.

Additional Comments: This was the very first BPAL scent I ever tried. I'm getting a little bit better at determining notes, now that I've tried a few more scents. I hope to revisit this one in the future when my "scent palate" is a little more mature.

Lasted: About an hour

Rating: 3 out of 5

In imp, very light. Hard to smell anything at all.

First applied/wet~Still very light. Sweet, spicy ginger & bright, very subtle lemon. After about 10 minutes, gone. So I applied a bit more...better! Still light but now w/a sweet, subtle creaminess over the slightly citrusy/ginger, so the milk and honey has arrived, yay!

After about 30 minutes it strengthens a bit but still on the light side. Very white tea & ginger'ish. Also reminds me a bit of Origins Ginger Essence, w/o the creaminess of Sudha Segara.

Very nice, but on me, very light and fades fast.

This is faint on me, but with a scent locket and generous application, I do like it. It's gingery, but not too sharp and overpowering (probably the milk toning it down), fresh and soft. A very lovely scent, though I'm not sure how often I'll reach for it.

I wanted to like Sudha Segara so much, given that I love the taste and smell of sugared ginger and milk. In the vial, it smelled sharp and sugary, but also quite perfumey. On, it was the same thing -- very sharp and perfumey, not what I wanted it to be. I was hoping for much more of a soft honey-milk scent with a spicy ginger smell, but the ginger was only sharp, not spicy, not fresh-smelling at all to me. Sudha Segara also never smelled milky on me, unfortunately. Off to swaps, I suppose.

This scent was not what I was expecting, but I love it just the same, and have just placed an order for a 5 ml.

I had expected something creamy, sweet and foody along the lines of Dana O'Shee. Instead, this is milky/vanillic yet refreshing -- with a blast of ginger (that, to me, smells almost citrusy). Now normally I can't stand anything even remotely citrusy, but this is a beautiful fragrance. Happy, playful, yet comforting. A clean skin scent. It remnds me a bit of Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver. Not exceptionally "creamy," yet very wearable.

In short, a fantastic blend of notes. I can see this one appealing to a large number of people.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Sweet, slightly fermented milk/yogurt aroma with a definite ginger kick.

Wet, on Skin:

Smells very akin to The Thymes' Ginger Milk products. Definitely little sweetness or creaminess here, it's all a sharp ginger right now. A touch of pepper, perhaps?

Drying Down:

The ginger is transforming and melding with the spices and the milk, and right now I'm getting nice little whiffs of a comforting cup of chai tea. Very nice.

Over Time:

1 Hour: The scent has almost faded out. I think my skin ate the ginger. It's all a sort of peppery condensed milk on me, which is actually grossing me out some.

Beyond: Whoop? Where did it go? I just get a faint generic 'perfume oil was here' scent when I try to figure out where Segara skipped out to.

Final Verdict?

I wish it were stronger. Keeping the imp for those moments when I need a little spicy pick-me-up. Too milky without being creamy (just like my slight visceral reaction to condensed milk, which is too sweet and essence of milk without balance) for my tastes, particularly when it goes into the Borden Zone. It is starkly yet simply beautiful, but my chemistry sadly wallops it into oblivion.

Edited by Lycanthrope

sudhasegara.jpg

On me, it's tea...gorgeous, pure, ineluctable tea. I really don't get much of the other notes and practically no milk or cream. I am beside myself with joy about the tea-ness of Sudha Segara because my skin destroys green tea leaf...turns it into mildew.* Wretched me. But now I have a perfect tea scent for the warmer months, and I am so grateful.

This one reminds me of The Vert by Bulgari (THAT is some pretty dizzying praise, and I mean it). This is beautiful tea with some sort of skin loving fixative stirred in (white musk perhaps). I was afraid that something so delicate pure and humble would vaporize on my hide, no...Sudha Segara lasts on me in surprising ways. I am going to order myself 10ml of Sudha Segara. This is one of my top loves.

*The victims of my skin chemistry include: Shanghai, Kumiho, and Embalming Fluid. I also believe that Wilde fits into this mix, too, though I have no proof. It is so bad that the Board of Health should ban me from wearing any of the aforementioned blends in an enclosed area.

Got this imp from cookie. Thank you!

Smells like an angry lemon at first, but I realized this is ginger. Similar to B & B W’s Orange Ginger aromatherapy line. This isn’t fierce ginger that stings your nostrils, this is mellow, calm subdued ginger on skin. After drying, I don’t get any milk notes with this one, maybe a slight sweet honey. Something about this reminds me of white tea with ginger, and it is really lovely. It fades pretty fast, like 15 minutes after application.

I bet this would make a great burner scent, it is very uplifting. I don’t know if I wuld buy a bottle of this, but I’m holding on to the imp.

In the Bottle: Ginger and milk, with a hint of sweetness. Interesting...

On Skin: Milky undertones and the sharp note of ginger. It reminds me of Alice, less floral and more sharp. I can smell a tinge of floral, which I'm assuming is the ambrosia.

On Drydown: Nuts. This turned soapy on me. The ginger's sharpness evaporates and I get a milky, sweet soap. I smell very clean. Nuts. :P

Verdict: Starts out lovely but then turns into soap. Curses. To the swap pile.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

Preconceived notions:

There was a point where I would have assumed without hesitation that Sudha Segara would be a disaster on me, but after my positive experiences with White Rabbit, Milk Moon and Chaste Moon, I'm not making any assumptions about this one until I try it. :D

First sniff:

Similar to White Rabbit sans tea. I get milk and strong, lemony ginger with a slight bit of honey. I've learned to love White Rabbit, so this might work for me. :D

Wet on skin:

Ginger is by far the most prominent note now. It's sharp and lemony and very slightly spicy and it overshadows every other note in here once it hits my skin. it's not bad, but I prefer the scent of Sudha Segara in the bottle.

Dry down:

The ginger has mellowed and Sudha Segara once again smells similar to White Rabbit sans tea. This really is lovely in spite of what I may have thought at one time. :P

The bottom line:

Lovely, but a little too similar to White Rabbit to warrant keeping it (too much perfume, and besides, I love the tea note in White Rabbit), so it'll be finding a new home.

This was a freebie with my last order and inevitably (thanks to the honey) smelled like Play-Doh.

Interestingly, Sudha Segara was lemon Play-Doh.

Wet: Very light and sweet. Pretty, but hard to pick out, even when I put another dose on. Lemon? Maybe? No, now I smell the ginger coming out. Nice, but faint.

1 Hour: Still faintly there, light, sweet, and clean.

2 Hours: The same. This is genericly pleasant, but not enough to make up for how much I would have to put on to smell it. Swap.

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

The Ambrosia is what hit me in the description. I love Ambrosia, especially when it is warm and has a touch of milk added to it. All I could think of was Renaissance Faire. Sitting by a campfire and drinking that sweet Ambrosia. MMMMMMMM :P This smells exactly like my thoughts.

Initial Impression: Honey and milk, warm and sweet but still a bit sharp. A flowery undertone.

After Wearing It: For once, I think I can feel the ginger. The sharpness has faded and left is a very warm and slightly sweet scent of warm milk with honey and maybe a touch of ginger.

Final Impression: I like it, it’s was and sweet without being too strong. A perfect scent for quiet autumn evenings.

Sudha Segara is pretty straightforward--milk and honey, with a dash of ginger. The ginger isn't bitter, but makes it nice and warm. This is a very soft scent. It pretty much stays the same over time, only it gets softer.

Sudha Segara is a nice smell, but not a scent I'd keep (and hey, I didn't! :P).

Sudha Segara

I don't get the milkiness in Sudha Segara at all. On me, it's a light, fresh smell of tea with lemon and sugar but without milk. I think the citrusy freshness dominates, it's not very sweet but perhaps slightly spicey and it's also very light and inoffensive, something to freshen you up a little. Nothing extraordinary.

Edited by Caltha

In bottle: sweet ginger, a little creamy

Wet: ginger, a little fruity

Dry: yummy! The ginger fades a bit and it smells a little sweet, but creamy. A very soft skin scent. Ordering a big bottle of this... :P

In the bottle: nothing at first, so I sniffed the wand instead. Ah ha! A hint of ginger!

On skin initially: ginger, tempered by something soft and sweet - milk? It doesn't have oomph honey usually has on my skin, but I wouldn't expect milk to smell sweetish so I assume the sweet undertone is either honey or the ambrosia. It's a pretty scent, with the calming feel I get from Dorian (though they smell nothing alike).

After an hour: sadly, this scent, no matter how heavily applied, is eaten almost immediately by my skin. It lasted no more than five minutes, which means I'll pass it on to someone else to enjoy.