Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Gingerbread and Leather

Tester decant received as a frimp in a swap. So excited! 

In the decant: Yes, just like the description. Gingerbread and leather and extra clove and tobacco. It's very spice-forward in the vial, but the leather and tobacco aren't exactly missing, just a little quieter. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's gingerbread and tobacco. I miss the extra clove. As it dries, however, the other notes start to come out. The tobacco note has the most throw on me, followed by the gingerbread. The clove and leather are detectable closer to the skin. 

And then -- wow! -- it shifts so it's clove-heavy gingerbread over leather. There's a touch of tobacco, but at this point, it's really just a touch (and I say this as someone who usually amps tobacco). The vibe is very much sexy gingerbread. Sexy and a little bit dangerous. Gingerbread that gives you naughty thoughts in the middle of wearing. 

When I read the initial description, I'd originally written this one off as tobacco-containing scents tend to become all about the tobacco on me. But this is very much about the spices and leather. I may be heading over to the Lab site right now to add a bottle to my cart. (Is today payday? If today is payday, I'm definitely doing that.) 

I was taken aback by how good this was. I wasn't expecting much, because I don't usually go for tobacco and leather anymore. But it was so much more. We tested my friend's decant, and both loved it.

I got plenty of clove and other spices, warmth, sexiness, and gingerbread. I'm not sure now in which order, but this will become a bottle for me, for sure.

This is very nice.  The leather doesn't really smell black to me, more like a brown suede, but leather tends to lean subtle on my skin, so take that with a grain of salt.  This is warm and spicy, nicely balanced, and not too sweet.  Definitely a crowd pleaser, and could be worn by a man or a woman.  I have about 50 bajillion gingerbread scents at this point, so I'm not sure if I need a full bottle of this one (though it's tempting) but if you like gingerbread, and you like leather, and you DON'T have 50 bajillion gingerbread scents 😜 -- this is a good one to bet on.

Edited by VetchVesper

Spiced leather. I get basically clove, tobacco, and gingerbread spices on black leather. It's basically black leather does holiday potpourri. Good throw and wear length.

This features the same sharp, dry tobacco from Tobacco and Pine accompanied by some leather and gingerbread spices. Surprisingly, my clove-amping self isn't amping the clove (or the gingerbread) in this, but my skin is running away with that tobacco note, which remains the dominant note on me throughout wear. It works better here than it did in Tobacco and Pine, but is still too sharp for my taste. Alas.

It does smell pretty sexy, though, but it is something I'd rather smell on someone else, not me. Too bad my boyfriend would rather smell like fruit punch. :lol: 

Again, this is a weaker scent than expected, but that's probably my post-COVID nose.  The first thing I smelled was gingerbread, then a touch of soft leather.  

The clove and tobacco come out later on the drydown and are subtle.  A little smoky spicy and a touch of smooth tobacco in the far back.

I like this a lot, but I don't know if it needs aged to let the notes really come out and get stronger or if it's just my nose.  Either way, it's still a keeper.

In the bottle: Spicy tobacco gingerbread.

Wet on my skin: Spicy, clove-heavy gingerbread and sweet tobacco...and leather! Soft black leather. Mmmm.

Dry: Okay, so I have a thing for these dark, sexy gingerbread perfumes. I don't even care that I already own Gingerbread Tobacco, Gingerbread, Patchouli, Leather, and Dark Musk, and Gingerbread, Vetiver, and Black Clove. I NEEDED THIS. This is dark, spicy, sexy clove gingerbread with sweet, smooth tobacco and soft black leather. I wanted sexy gingerbread. I got sexy gingerbread. YEAH!!!

My favorite gingerbread blends are the exact three @DiesMali just cited:  Gingerbread, Black Clove and Vetiver; Gingerbread Tobacco; and Gingerbread Patch Leather and Dark Musk.  This ranks right up there, I would say. Gingerbread with extra clove against a base of soft leather, threaded through with sticky tobacco. Spicy and sexy with good throw and wear length, though I did slather. 

I've never reviewed this? This is one of the most delicious gingerbreads I have, up there with Gingerbread, Coffee Bean and Smoked Vanilla and Gingerbread, Patchouli, Leather and Dark Musk.

The gingerbread just blends beautifully with the leather and clove and tobacco to make this smell, frankly, drinkable. It's so gorgeous.

I purchased a decant of this. I thought Gingerbread and Leather would be more leather-forward, but it is primarily spicy, chewy, molasses-rich gingerbread. When I apply lightly, the scent only lasts a couple of hours. When I apply heavily, I feel like I'm walking around in a haze of cinnamon and clove, like if you rolled Pig-Pen from the Peanuts in baking spices. This one doesn't work for me, but you may like it if you dig gingerbread.

Edited by wordortwo

Not what I expected at all. No leather, it's a smoky sweet blend of tobacco and clove with gingerbread in the background. On me, I'm only really getting cinnamon from the gingerbread. Kinda resembles potpourri as it fades.

This is nice! I've got so many gingerbreads I probably won't be grabbing a bottle of this, but it's beautiful.

I'm not sure I would guess this was a gingerbread scent if I didn't know the name/notes - it's spicy, but doesn't scream "baked goods!" at me. I mostly get a sweet clove, backed up by a bit of dry tobacco and leather. It's surprisingly soft and comforting, like wearing a hug.

Edited by a_bear

For the first twenty minutes or so after applying this perfume, it's pretty gingerbread and clove forward for me, but my skin tends to amp spices. As it dries more, though, the tobacco comes out and it becomes this wonderful smoky gingerbread. I don't get much leather on my skin, but I think I can catch whiffs of it from the sillage?

This is a lovely winter scent, all the gingerbread spices and clove make it very warming. A great perfume for drinking hot chocolate and sitting by a crackling fireplace.

2020 version.

I thought for sure I reviewed this, the heck. Although hard to whiddle down, after being a fan for 15 years on and off, this is at least top 25. 

DiesMali's review of Gingerbread, Patchouli, Leather and Dark Musk pretty much sold me on Gingerbread and Leather:

"This is something a large, intimidating, but also very handsome Viking-looking Scandinavian death metal band member might wear to a winter holiday celebration with their significant other."

Where GPLDM goes a bit herbal, G&L is lebkuchen-like gingerbread with soft black leather, tobacco, and clove keeping this from being straight gourmand and adds a dark, badass, sexy, yet still cuddly edge. I actually forgot tobacco and clove were in this, they're so well blended.

So where GPLDM is very handsome Viking-looking Scandinavian death metal band member that showed up to the party with his SO, GL is the very handsome Celebrimbor-looking Austrian black metal band member who you really hope came alone. It puts me in the same headspace as Deep Midnight's Black Throne (black opium, oriental white florals, teakwood, tonka, tea, vanilla, patchouli, rose), another nice badass unisex blend. 

I'm mostly revisiting to see if I want to grab 2021's iteration as a backup and most likely will. :wub2:  This truly deserves to stick around for years to come.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This is one of my favorite perfume oils I've ever tried! I got the 2021 version a couple of months ago and wear it so often. 

In the bottle and wet on skin I get almost pure dry spiced gingerbread- maybe a little tobacco. As it dries on my skin the spiciness recedes a bit and I'm left more with the leather note.

The throw isn't too strong that I've noticed yet so I'm hoping it gets a bit stronger with time but we will see.  It is so yummy and comforting! It's not too foodie- I'm not really a gourmand lover, but it really reminds me of the smell of my favorite spice cake I make. I love the bottle art too, it's just joy in a bottle for me! 

i was gifted a testable sniffy by she's a carnival and holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I am in love!! with!! this!! scent!! wow. Would not have even dared to get a decant because leather is a death note for me, but I got no leather from the sniffy or when I wore it soooooo this might have to go into my cart before the yules come down.

Just stunning. Nothing but beautiful gingerbread, clove and tobacco with enough throw in just the few drops I had to test so that I smelled it all damn day. Incredible. I get NO leather, and that makes this a delightful, chewy, smoky gingerbread paradise to roll around in!

I think wearing this with my Gingerbread Campfire would be a real fun slap in the face! Can't wait.

Edited by Llanval

I bought this for my husband last year and it's one of my absolute favs on him! It's just deep, dark, sweet, spicy deliciousness. ❤️

Edited by LadyLuckless

2021 version

You have a leather jacket, you got into the punkest bakery fight ever and now its covered in gingerbread dough for the holidays. The end. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet: Burnt gingerbread. Lots of char.

Drydown: The gingerbread fluffs up, smelling more like a fresh cookie now. The darkness eases off a bit and starts to develop into a mix of smoke and sleek leather. The more it dries, the more distinguished the leather becomes. There's one moment towards the end of the drydown where it suddenly smells quite chocolatey, but it only lasts for a few minutes.

Dry: Soot and spicecake. A mix of sweetness, spice, and bleak blackness. It smells sexy but emotionally jaded and unattainable, like the ultimate cool guy crush in high school.

8 out of 10 bones

Here's a comparison of both years so far!

2020:

Clove is really standing out in the blend, along with a sexy supple black leather. The combination is reading masculine, just short of cologne, but in a good way. There's some smokiness from the tobacco too, and I might be imagining it but if I was blindly sniffing, I would guess there was patchouli in here too. The least prominent note is actually the gingerbread! This is barely foodie at all, and it's not sweet either. It's aged into something quite different than what I remembered when it was fresh. I will definitely keep this in my collection, but I think I prefer some of the other iterations of similar notes that maintain more of a gingerbready presence.

2021:

I was advised that this year's was more spicy, and that is indeed true! It leads this time with gingerbread, a sweet and thickly spiced gingerbread dough that to me smells like raw batter. It's all the good parts of Deep Fried Gingerbread without the fryer grease note. I can still smell the clove and black leather from 2020, but they are secondary players this time. Now, there's a poppier ginger and a sweeter gourmand playing off of the crackle of the tobacco. This is goooood. I hope it stays as is or ages even better, because right now, this is near perfection. I don't really have anything else that is this much like raw dough. It's really cool! And the tobacco is really singing against the sweet-and-spicy top notes. I'm so happy I got this year too, I think it's even better than 2020!

I've had the original version (2020) for a couple of years now, and while age has made it MORE wearable (I keep testing it), it's still not what I wanted, sadly. 

Wet, I get some gingerbread with extra clove, but then, as it dries, an ashy tobacco note comes stomping in and coughing all over everything. The dry perfume has no gingerbread for me, and very little leather. It's fake-smelling clove and ashy tobacco, sometimes leaning a little soapy. It mostly smells like potpourri, and not in a good way. 

I love gingerbread, and I love leather, and I was hoping this would feature both as the main players. :( I'm going to try out Marrinitos this year and see if it scratches my sexy gingerbread itch.