Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Lion

The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

wow...this is such a lovely, complex scent!

in the imp, this is warm, spicy, golden.
on my skin, the spices amp *just enough* to make me think of warm spice cakes, or the aroma they would put off when baking. it's not a foodie scent, per se- but whatever spices are at work here are very much, to my nose, the kind that would be employed in baking, or perhaps indian food.
i usually amp spices to high 'red hots' heaven, but here they stay well in check, and there is an almost honey or syruplike sweetness behind it, actually, almost raisiney, the amber maybe? it's so weird to keep getting these food-LIKE scent associations, when it doesn't actually smell like food.
this doesn't morph too much on me, and has a good throw with medium lasting power (on the skin that eats perfumes like crazy, at least)

this one, though fairly simple, stands out as something quite different than anything else i have tried so far, and is a sure big bottle purchase in the future.

My first feelings with this is that The Lion is cakey. It's a little like Gingerbread Poppet to my nose, but more grounded. Where the Poppet is baked, this is more just a refined spice. Cinnamon and amber, definitely. It's delicious. Not overly foody, not too strong but packs a punch if you sniff too long or too close. Just right! After about fifteen minutes, this calms to a beautiful rounded amber and is reminiscent of warm dry days. There is nothing 'damp' to this scent. Savannah indeed. Where I usually love aquatics and fresh fruits and florals, this is a real surprise. It's dry without being boring or thick and it retains the lightness-but-deepness that I search for in a lot of my favourite scents right the way through to its conclusion.

7/10

Conclusion: It's a keeper for those hot-hot-hot days and the days in the middle of winter when I want to be reminded that the summer will eventually come.

This really is heavenly - it does make me think of a lion on an African Savannah, proud and regal, golden against hot sand...

(It's the scent I chose to wear to bolster me when I knew I had a potentially unpleasant meeting at work last week :P I wanted to feel all strong and powerful. The meeting went considerably better than I'd been dreading. Clearly coz I smelled so good! :D)

Amber and spice are just such an awesome combination.

In the bottle: Pale tannish coloured oil. Warm and spicy, a little incensey, but in a soft, rich manner, not spicy or smoky. Amber, for sure, but also sweetness. Cinnamon and cardamom.

Wet: The amber here is luxuriously soft and warm, furry, creamy. Dry, too - almost like hay. The spices are light, and well balanced; the cinnamon doesn't dominate the cardamom. The sweetness is light, like autumnal afternoon sunshine.

Dry: Not much morphing so far; the amber does go powdery, but not unbearably so, and the spices and honeyed sweetness distract from the powder a bit. A warm and comforting scent, with a bit of a kick.

Later: Alas, increasingly powdery, and less warm, as the amber evolves in its typical fashion on me. The sweet spices are fading, or overshadowed by the powder.

Summary: Perfumey, almost floral powder with a hint of ambery warmth over faint, honey-touched cinnamon and cardamon. Fairly feminine on my skin on drydown. Low throw, very poor lasting power.

For a room scent I would have liked initial stages, but the powder and cinnamon do not work for me.

I've been wanting to try The Lion for a very long time, because I love amber. It did not turn out the way I was expecting -- it's a lot more powdery than I thought it would be. I guess I was expecting something majestic and fierce, but this is actually demure. I don't get any spices, just bland baby powder. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

:P

1/5

I don't get cinnamon at all. I get AMBER! And some woods and grasses in there somewhere, too. I love this one, that sour amber was instant win for me.

This is a golden, glowing, rich, regal, commanding amber with an undertone of spice. It is warmth and radiating sunshine. It is so very beautiful. I find it reminiscent of summer and also comforting on a cold day.

I CAN'T believe I haven't given a review for this one yet! Amazing yet so simple. Exactly how described, exactly what I wanted. This is amber and spice. It's the most comforting and warm scent I've tried and I love it.

in the imp: yup. golden, resinous amber.

wet on skin: more of the same.

dry down: a strong, sweet dark amber.

in all: perfect for wearing whilst crunching Autumnal leaves underfoot in late-wash afternoon sunshine, crackling log-cabin evening whilst mulling cider, and hot summer nights when you won't wear much more than this.

In The Bottle

Very soft, faint spice

On Application

Dry, spicey amber

Dry Down

Softly spicey amber on drydown. On the fence on this one.

Rating (0-5)

Wet, on me, spices...and the amber is warming up with them quickly. It's a warm, spicy, golden scent...and I love it already. Barring any unfortunate scent morphs, this is going straight to my "LOVE IT!" pile.

On me, the Lion is cakey, as somebody else has mentioned, and actually smells kind of like soil. Spicey, sort of cakey, dried in the sun soil. It actually reminds me a little bit of Penny Dreadful, though I'm sure they don't share any notes at all, just my lovely chemistry.

warm and golden. It reminds me of a nice soft inscent. Its a wonderful simple scent that even my husband loves (and might be willing to share with me :P)

This was on my wish list, and I was so excited when I got it as a frimp with my July LE's.

In the bottle, it smells wonderful. Warm vanilla and exotic spices. As the lab description says, it just smells warm and golden.

On wet, even spicier, with that wonderful vanilla under it. Sexy!

Ten minutes later: NOOOOOOO! Baby powder! Sigh.

first it was very sharp, I could smell cinnamon and later lemon..

hmm, I dunno exatcly but I know I like it!

indeed proud, regal and furious! :D

I fell a sleep with this on my wrists and when I woke up it wa still there, very nice to wake up with! :D

it's gonna be hard to explain for me when someone would ask what I'm wearing, cause it's only golden spiced amber hehehe :P

I'm enjoying my little imp and might get myself a bottle one day!

In bottle/imp: Sweet but plastic-y amber.

Immediately on skin: I can barely smell this. It smells warm and slightly spicy, but it has an annoying plastic note to it.

After a few minutes: This blend is staying very close to my skin… The amber is there, but it’s very light and slightly earthy. The spices are light as well. It has a slight playdoh type of scent on my skin as well.

Overall Impressions: Meh. I really don’t think this is anything special. It’s sort of warm and sort of spicy, but not too much of either. It’s pleasant, but reminds me of playdoh. It’s very light too and I just don’t think there’s anything special with this one.

In the imp, it's very amber with a touch of mixed warm spices.

Wet, it's the same - very little morphing.

Once it's dried and settled in and my skin has had time to do its oft-frustrating sweeten-everything-in-range routine, I smell mostly like a freshly-baked snickerdoodle. Normally I hate smelling like food, baked goods in particular. The Lion, however, avoids going completely FOOD on me. It's a really lovely, golden, warm, resinous scent with lots of clove and cinnamon. It will be awesome in mid-Winter.

As a side note, I started running about a month ago. I tested the Lion about half an hour before I went out for a run today. As I was running I noticed little whiffs of the scent from time to time, which was really nice. This ended up being the first day since I started running that I managed to go two full miles without having to stop and walk for a few minutes. I don't know if the Lion helped, but I sort of feel like it did.

I've had this and loved it for a while, just never seemed to have reviewed it. It was fun reading some of the earlier reviews - interesting to see how people get different things out of an oil.

On me the Lion is golden and warm, a kind of slightly dusty sun-baked scent. It's not foody or spicy, just a lovely warm comfort scent. It's wonderful on me and I think it will smell even better on the right guy...

I got this imp, mostly to find out what amber smells like, exactly. I wasn't sure, so thought it would be fun to see.

I realized I enjoy amber. I know it can go slightly powdery/soapy, but isn't all that bad. It's just a warm, rounded, mellow scent on me. It says it was a spiced amber, but the spice was rather understated on me. I did enjoy it, and it was most certainly a lion scent. Very Leo, actually.

It was simple, but I expected as much. So although this will be traded/frimped, I now know that amber isn't the devil, and I can wear it happily. It's very smooth, warm, calming, proud is a good description. Savanna warm, but endless cloudless skies smooth. It isn't very extravagant, and for someone maybe looking for a simple, understating scent just to wear -always- (I thought about giving this to my mother, as she isn't very into perfumes but doesn't mind something simple. Also a leo, and would enjoy the Lion reference.) or perhaps someone looking for a good layering agent, this could be lovely.

Warm, exotic, spicy and very commanding.

The lion is very comforting and amber makes me feel so happy. For a moment it is almost foody. Almost.

But mostly I feel warm and golden, when I wear the Lion.

This is yummy! All ambery goodness here. I don't get much spice, and I certainly can't detect cinnamon, as other reviewers have been saying. On me, this is a light, warm amber. Not powdery in the slightest. I've been trying to unglue my wrists from my nose since I put this on. :P