Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

A Shadow In The Elevator

Strands of ectoplasm floating through the shadowed air: black plum, inky vetiver, cashmere patchouli, dark oudh, and spectral musk.

Oh, this is glorious.

I have to admit that it was the "cashmere patchouli" that put this one at the top of my short list, but I am also a big fan of vetiver, musk, and oude. This scent is daaaaark and smooth, very well blended - but you really need to appreciate patchouli to love Shadow. The thing is, though, you have never smelled a patch like this: it's so smooth, and soft to the touch (if you will) and...luxurious. Mmmmmmm.

I don't always love plum, but the black variety seems to agree with me; I think it's lifting the scent a bit without making it particularly fruity.

I would put A Shadow In the Elevator in the same family as Panther Moon, Raven Moon, and The Final Darkness. Gorgeous. And not for the faint of heart.

I really, really like this! :D Strangely it reminds me a little of Imaginer, the good stuff, I had two versions, one was all slinky sexy amber and honey, the other was Mum's perfumey perfume. And this has that same slinky sexy vibe to it, the plum brings the sweetness rather than honey, and it's musky and sexy, but not at all overbearing or perfumey - it remains soft, while still being sexy, and I think it's utterly gorgeous! I tried all my CP scents on yesterday, splotches of perfume everywhere, and after an hour or so, this was the one I could predominantly smell, and I had to sniff over all the patches before ascertaining that this was the glorious one! :D

I'm not a huge patchouli person, but the patchouli behaves itself in this, it's very velvety and soft and sexy and musky, without being at all the earthy hippie patchouli that I dislike, and I love it - this was actually what I was expecting from Black Moths, but I like this a lot more...may even have to grab a backup bottle :umm: I suspect this will age fabulously... :wub2:

In The Bottle: Oh. Oh MY. I wasn't sure what "cashmere patchouli " would smell like but this is :exactly: what I'd hoped for. Sweet, soft and earthy and holy moly is this :sexy:

Wet On Skin: the plum picks up some of the slack, making the scent have more depth, but without compromising what was already stated.

Dry Down: usually I can still pick out individual notes upon dry down. But this actually has melded so seamlessly that's hard to pull apart now, so all I will say is that I'm deeply saddened I did not order two bottles off the bat and also that I agree with those who predict this will age brilliantly!

The vetiver was overpowering when wet, but this dried into the most lovely patch and plum. Dark, velvety, mysterious, sexy. So much depth and complexity. This isn't the type of scent I usually go for, but I think I may need a bottle!

I know you'll think I'm crazy, but the plum in this even puts me in mind of Bordello, but without the light playfulness of Bordello, obviously. Bordello's dark, gothy cousin. ;)

ETA: oh man, half an hour later, the black plums and patchouli have mellowed into a very Hellion-esque scent, and I could not be happier, as I'm nearly out of Hellion. Sweet, juicy, incensey goodness. Oh so so so good. If you've been looking for a replacement for the lovely rare Hellion, give this a try. Seriously.

Edited by whoahorsey

I have to agree with the other reviewers, cashmere patchouli seems to be the proper name for this in the wetstage. As it dries down the plum is in the forefront and I agree with the comparisons to bordello because of the sweet boozy quality it acquires from the fruit. I am curious to see what the final dry down is like, because the scent keeps getting lighter and lighter, it's almost disappeared on my skin.

Edited by velvet

In the bottle, the plum and that lovely soft, velvety patchouli are the most dominant notes, with the faintest hint of vetiver in the background. I was intrigued by the 'cashmere' patch, and it really is so soft and smooth, a lot softer than the normal patchouli that I know and love, but I really love this!

On the skin, the plum becomes the main player, it adds a sweetness but it never becomes overly sweet, the patchouli and musk keep it grounded. I get a hint of woodiness, but surprisingly the vetiver is nowhere to be seen! In the end, I'm left with a gorgeously dark, sexy plummy musk. All of the notes blend together so smoothly, if you are scared of patchouli or vetiver, I urge you to try this. Medium throw and staying power.

This is exactly what I wanted and what I was expecting from Black Moths, but where BM is all rose-y incense on me, Elevator has that strong plum and soft musk that I was after. After Lucille, this is the only other scent from the CP line that I'm thinking I need a backup of. It's seriously beautiful!

Ooh this is gorgeous. And very fancy.

It's patchouli, but not the dirty hippie kind, the fancy perfumed kind. And the vetiver behaves. It's lush. And gorgeous.

I was skeptically of this scent because of the vetivert but I was so intrigued by the cashmere patchouli.

Vetivert stays pretty much in the background just where I like it.

The patchouli is smooooth. It purrs. Not like any other patch I've tried.

The plum is sweet but not overly so. Glad it doesn't take the scent into candy territory.

I would say that plum and patch are the stars with a gentle oudh teasing my nose from underneath.

Sophisticated and darkly spectral. I love this!

Gahhhh this is so gorgeous! In the decant I initially smelled vetiver, but once applied this becomes a smooth and slinky scent. I understand why this is referred to as cashmere patchouli because it is truly soft feeling but warm. After a short while on my skin, the plum and oudh come out to play. I adore all of these notes, and this is blending them in a new way. This shadow is wafting around me, now a hint of patchouli, now plum, now oudh, each note playing off the others summoning me towards the darkness.

Definitely upgrading this decant to a bottle in my next order!

plum, in BPAL, is a note that i don't have any real opinion of. it is in some blends i like, and in some blends i don't. vetiver, well, just no. i adore patchouli, i like most real oudhs, and except for white musk, i pretty much like 'em all.

in the bottle & wet on skin : plum & vetiver. i was vaguely reminded of The Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, but i couldn't tell you why. it didn't last long, though.

once it settles in, and for the next 12 hours or so, it stays pretty linear: stale cigarette smoke, dust, and hints of expensive perfume. or, possibly, very much like the smell of an elevator in a private, upscale building.

i couldn't tell you if it is because of this oil, or because it is winter and my skin is dry, but i put this on the tops of both hands and they've been incredibly itchy all night.

Wet all I smell is smooth vetiver and the patch. As it dries down it becomes more blended and you get the beautiful plum. On me this is soft and very mature smelling. It doesn't seem to have a lot of throw.

Plum, patchouli and musk. This smells like dark, slinky, plum. So far, this has been the plummiest Crimson Peak blend I've tried. Good throw, good wear length.

Dark, fruity, slinky.

In the bottle: Deep, earthy vetiver and patchouli.

Wet on my skin: That same deep, earthy vetiver and patchouli...and something a little sweet.

Dry: This scent had me at "inky vetiver" and "cashmere patchouli." As a lover of those two notes, I am VERY satisfied with this scent. It's deep, dark, earthy, and deliciously smooth. This is the softest, silkiest patchouli you can imagine, and so very niiice. The vetiver in this isn't sharp, but rather is the smoky kind that can be reminiscent of tobacco smoke. That smoky earthiness is sweetened slightly by the plum, which gives it a cool, sweet throw, and then the whole thing is deepened and smoothed out even more by the musk. Finally, the last note to appear is oudh, which brings just enough spicy resin to the scent to give the darkest notes a slightly shimmery quality. Black, smoky, smooth, and oh so sexy.

A Shadow in the Elevator's cashmere patchouli is so voluptuous! With the black plum, dark oudh, and spectral musk, this like a plush oubliette. The vetiver is really nice here, and I say that pretty rarely! Definitely glad I took the risk with the vetiver, and I can't wait to see how this ages.

dark inky musk! literally reminds me a little of india ink, which i love dearly. dark soft swirly inky musk. it makes me want to wear a really fancy black velvet dress. it dries down soft and close to the skin and i really like it!

This is NOT what I suspected, so fruity!
But, I don't get any plum at all.
I get quince, lot of quince.
wat.

It gets darker and incensy drying, but the quince is still there.
And then, alot of flowers, according to my nose.
wtf.

There is no quince, there is no flowers.
Skin and nose, get your shit together...

Well shucks and gosh darn. I seem to be evoking the exact opposite from this scent than the other reviewers.

In the bottle: I can smell the plum – it’s not strong, just a dark, sweet note swimming around and a touch of what smells a bit like ammonia to me… that otherwise keeps it from smelling exactly like my dad.

Wet: It smells musty, a little dank and moldy or like rotting wood. Or both? The plum has been scared away entirely by a note that’s just a little bit sinister.

Dry: It’s weirdly lovely – comforting but wrong, a struggle between warmth and bitterness. I wish I could still smell the plum at all on me because it could do with that touch of sweetness to balance out the warm bitterness left behind.

But, as Thomas Sharpe tells his new bride her first night at Crimson Peak, you need a measure of bitterness… not to be eaten.

The final fragrance itself doesn’t seem to throw that far, but, from a distance, I do keep getting whiffs disembodied from the scent that’s actually on my skin, of damp dirt and that musty otherness, to remind me it’s still there.

Aaaaand, hours later and the ominous scent is still very much present and floating around while the warmer scent on my arm has faded a good deal.

Very dark and very slinky. I love the dark plum note and if you're leery of vetiver, don't be with this one. It's so expertly blended, it's hard for me to pick out.

I definitely get the India Ink SN vibe.and it also reminds me a little of Black Silk.

I do like it, especially the plum/patch vibe, but something (I suspect the musk) is a tad headachey.

I think I might still go bottle because this is going to age stupendously. In 6 months it'll be really good but in 2 years? Hubba hubba.

Edited by sarandipitee

I'm not big on vetiver, but I love all the other notes, so I decided to get a half decant. Not disappointed. I'm getting voluptuous, purple plum and patchouli. This blend is in the same family as Mme Moriarty, Crypt Queen, Hellion, and Luna Negra, ( which is probably the closest of all). Surprisingly, it's a fast fade, but I think I can forgive her for that. I will put a bit more on, and make a decision. I am pretty much leaning towards a bottle, which is rare for this picky bitch.:)

I am both excited, and a bit apprehensive in trying this. I still haven't decided how I feel about vetiver (unless it's really dominant in a scent, my skin does the opposite of amping it - it swallows it whole!) Plum is sometimes iffy, I am undecided about oudh. Spectral musk and cashmere patchouli sound amazing though, and I was too curious not to try this!

Wet: Mmmmffgg. Wow. Usually anything with patch takes a few moments to settle on me, warm up and get good. This is heaven at first sniff. So dark and unique. I want it to stay just like this. God I am so wowed by the whole CP lineup.....this is so well blended I am having a hard time picking out notes. It's dark, fruity. I literally have it on my face now, because I stuffed my whole face into my arm to sniff it.

Dry: Unfortunately this loses a lot of its complexity as it dries down - my skin chemistry does, in fact, eat the vetiver. What I am left with is amazing patchouli and dark fruits. It's truly gorgeous. But I do have two other blends that are patchouli and dark fruits on me - Black Moths and Satan Starting from the Touch of Ithuriel's Spear. I will have to test this against those to see if I need a bottle. I do have to say though, this wet is one of the most amazing things I have smelled. So glad to have tried it!

This is just lovely - plum and patchouli with that underlying bitterness of the vetiver, with that soft swirly muskiness. The combination of black plum and musk turn this into a scent very reminiscent (to me, anyway) of Snake Charmer. Less sweet, definitely - but the same feeling.

The vetiver starts to fade as this dries down, and I still get black plum and patch predominantly. It's dark and faintly sweet, incensey without being smokey, musky without being dirty, and patchouli of the elegant kind.

Snake Charmer without the vanilla/amber.

:D

the plum is bright and candy-sweet. the patch and musk are just present enough to keep this from being a pure candy scent.

on me, it's a lovely and sophisticated perfume of the fruit persuasion.

I like it and can see it's brilliance and beauty, but it's not really a me scent, as I tend to wear resin-heavy blends. the patch and oudh are adding complexity (the vetiver is elusive), but this is more of a pale plum scent, not such a dark shadow. very feminine and pretty.

eta never got around to adding this to my sales page, which is a good thing because both the scent in the bottle and my preferences have changed. the patch has come out more, as has the vetiver. together they are light and elegant, but deliciously complex. the scent is now deeper and richer, but compared to many of my favorite bpals (dark resin/musk glorious beasts) this is a gentler resin scent, brightened by the fruit but not enough to make it too candy-sweet or foodie for me. shadow in the elevator shines as an elegant and beautifully tailored fragrance; something about it has also felt very calming and comforting as well. I've been dabbing it on at night and enjoying its wafts as I curl up with a good book or trashy movie.

Edited by annemathematics

This was one of my favorite Crimson Peak scents. Beautiful dark, earthy and sweet. This is very smoky on me with a hint of sweetness from the dark plum. I used to be scared of vetiver but it's really starting to grow on me.

Wow. Hats off to Beth. First sniff on wrist, I get something eerie, just like a spooky shadow! However, after that initial chill, I am in patch heaven, a sophisticated patch with a woody background. The plum is not sweet at all on me, but adds to the depth of the scent. On further drydown, I swear I smell something floral (glad Katkastrophe noted that as well!) Lovely perfume!

I seem to be in the minority, but A Shadow In The Elevator isn't a favorite for me from the Crimson Peak line. I love Lucille Sharpe, Black Moths and Insects all more than this one, and they're all in the same vein of dark/earthy + rich fruits. The vetiver and patchouli in this one actually go a little bit ashy smelling on my skin (like cigarette ash/ash tray), with a powdery quality similar to Fledgling Raptor Moon. The plum isn't sweet at all to my nose - it's a sour, hard, unripened, green fruit that hasn't yet ripened into any sweetness or juiciness. There's also a weird, spicy undertone in this that I can only describe as the scent of the taco scratch 'n' sniff stickers I had as a child.

Soo... the powdery/woody patchouli of Fledgling Raptor Moon, ashy vetiver, a sour and unripe, green, hard little ball of a plum, and a hint of strangely chemical taco spice...

Edited by Little Bird