Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

Tempest –

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

I purchased this imp second hand so it’s likely aged.

In the bottle: This smells a lot like commercial “rain” scents I have encountered. It has a sharpness to it as well.

Wet: There’s something of a wind to it, too. It’s still mostly commercial rain-scented candle to me. Crap. I had my first “impcident” while putting this on. I fumbled, it tumbled, and now it’s all over my feet and floor. Granted, I’m not that fond of rain-scented things. I’m not in tears over it. It will be a pain in the butt to clean out of the carpet though. :P

Drying down: On my skin, this scent is going quickly subtle, except where my feet got doused. I’m almost getting some saltiness from it, but that could be my skin chemistry piping up.

Dry: It’s a very clean scent without turning into a dryer sheet. As my skin soaks it up, it loses some of its commercial candle smell. Still not one of my favorite scents, but it is one that I can live with for awhile if I can’t get it out of the carpet.

Smells like...a garden in the rain. I definitely get the fresh water scent but there's strong florals as well, although I can't pick out which specific floral it is. Turns slightly masculine at the end.

Nice but not really grabbing me.

After loving a ocean breeze candle I had gotten, I wanted to try something with a similar scent. Tempest popped out as the most appealing when I searched the catalogue so I ordered...

Loving it! Agreeing with others, there is a hint of citrus (maybe lemon) scent. Salty storm I would say. I may consider getting a full bottle of this.

In the bottle -

Hairspray, or some sort of alcohol-based toner - it reminds me of Clinique's clarifying lotion which makes my skin burn :D

Wet on the skin -

Better than in the bottle. Sweeter and maybe even with some green, herby notes. Not unpleasant.

Dry -

It smells sort of musky, like a dark, hot, wet cave with animals living in it. But there is something sweet there, too. I don't like it, though.

Le hub says -

"It smells like the stuff they sprinkle over corpses so they don't smell bad in the coffin. Scented formaldahyde. Reminds me of the local goth hangout. 3 out of 10."

I know when I review I don't mention the notes unless I can smell them. I hope that's OK :P I never look at the notes first, because I prefer to follow my nose, and I'm not very good at distinguishing between them anyway.

In the vial: bright ozone scent. Very clean, however it does remind me of the Yankee Candle Car Jar that I use.

Wet:Crisp and clean.

Dry: A very pleasant scent, but I will use it as a room scent rather than perfume.

Soapy. Very, Very soapy on me, and that's really all I could smell. It's not a bad scent, just not what I was hoping for at all.

This one makes me so sad. I love aquatics and citrus scents, and the description seemed perfect.

In the imp: Oh! I love this! Maybe I'll buy a bottle!

Wet: Yes. Lovely. So nice. Fresh, wet, a bit of citrus, the beach...

As it's drying down: Um...what is it doing? Where is it going?

Dry: I don't know how to describe what it smells like, just that I do not like it. Kind of...burny...heavy...odd. Maybe it's salty? I used rubbing alcohol on it to minimize/remove it and it's *slightly* better but still strange.

I may try this in my oil burner because it started out so nicely...or swap it and stick with Embalming Fluid and F5, which smell similar to me but stay the way I want them to.

Edited by marlatiara

Thanks to GypsyRoseRed for the imp.

Imp: Clean and fresh and cool.

Skin: The ozone accord really comes out on my skin. It's like I'm dryer fresh. . .or a sweetened pot of boiling water (I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the best analogy I could come up with).

Drydown: I get the soapiness some others have mentioned, but this is a nice clean soapyness, not like some experiences where that note just comes seemingly out of nowhere. This is the kind of aquatic that makes sense to my nose, so I'm enjoying it on this rainy day. :P

Very fresh and stormy indeed! Wow, it's amazing how they can capture that in a perfume oil :P

This one reminds me of a fresh and storymy tropical rain. I keep thinking about sitting on the porch of my hotel in Florida as a huge storm rolled in and flooded the streets.

On my skin this takes on a cool, sweet watery scent. Very refreshing!

I generally don't like ozone/aquatic scents but this one is very pretty. I wouldn't wear it myself but I can certainly appreciate the genius of being able to capture such a real scent in a small vial!

Incredible!

Like the description says, this is a very crisp ozone with a hint of the ionic overtones you get just before a summer storm hits. Not *quite* the perfect before the rain scent (I personally think that would include a little chlorophyll for that wonderful green note) but still a very nice clean aquatic. May have to send this one off to my sister to test since she loves the fresh/clean scents. < nods >

Tempest is a prettied-up version of salt water. Not just salt water, actually, but the real, living sea. It's the waves crashing at the base of the cliffs of Dover, it's the scent coming through the window on a breezy Summer day, it's what I can smell when stepping off the train at home on a rainy day. Except softer, and with a slight floral twist.

I've always lived near the sea, and this is a very comforting scent, especially when I'm away from familiarity.

Edited by Elemcee

Sea and the ocean. However this goes to soap on me. It's a lovely clean smell but it's just not 'special' enough to wear as a perfume.

I was hoping for more of a salt tang. *sigh* I may buy a big bottle just for the name.

None of my namesakes are working out :P

I wasn't sure what to expect for this one, but it's definitely a clean, fresh scent. The ozone note seems a bit sharp to me at first. As it begins the drydown, it goes through a short "clean laundry" phase, but luckily, that only lasted a minute or so. I'm not great with notes, but once this is dry, it almost seems floral to me, even though they're not mentioned in the descroption. It's not a heavy floral scent, though - it's still crisp and clean, but with a floral backdrop? I may have to restest this one to get a second impression

ETA: a few more minutes have passed, and this has now turned soapy on me... too bad, it was intriguing up to this point...

Edited by mtlaise

I love this Scent! May I repeat how much I love this scent?

This scent for me is the ozone that happens just right before a rain, the electric sense with a general dousage of lemon. There is a low salty tang that mingles with the rest of the scent that stays pretty much the same from contact to drydown. This scent comforts me enough that I use it almost every time before I go to sleep. A really good scent when it's hot too because the ozone tingles with wet skin. One of my top scents.

I'm in love. Really... in love. This scent is incredible. I'm so glad I took a chance and went straight for the bottle with this one, because I could bathe in this. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be, and perhaps even a little bit better.

This is a walk in a lush, green garden when it has rained the night before and will likely rain again within a few minutes. Every leaf is damp and glistening, and the air is not only as clean and crisp as it could possibly be, but is charged with a gentle electricity that just makes you feel.... alive. That's probably one of my favorite smells in the entire world, and that is Tempest to a tee.

This will make me a wonderful oil to wear when I want to feel creative, as I find that I always feel so when it is rainy or stormy out. Wearing Tempest is, even as I type this, tricking my brain into thinking that's what the weather is like out, and consequently my fingers are itching to paint something while poetic phrases simultaneously race through my brain. It's incredible.

I highly recommend this scent to anyone who is a sucker for aquatic or ozone scents, as this is definitely both in equal parts. If you like this one, I'd also recommend that you try Sea of Glass and Loralei, as this seems like it could be a close cousin of each... especially if you like more of a floral tone to your aquatics.

In the bottle – cool, wet, watery, clean

Wet/Drydown – Something sharp yet fresh, salty-sweet; storm clouds rolling in; restless, choppy waves. The sharpness is holding on. Definitely getting something salty here, but it’s also sweet and fresh, it’s such a contradiction. Crisp is a perfect description. This is the bitingly clean humidity on the beach before the storm. I love the sharp note – it’s almost tart at moments. Salty-tart. Very fresh, sharp, and stinging. Not a gentle aquatic, it’s aggressive. The sharpness is almost citrusy at times. This is simply delicious and enticing. So many layers that play peek-a-boo.

Dry – salty sharp aquatic

I don't know if I will end up with a big bottle of this. I like it, but I don't know if I love it; I think I'll have to try more of Beth's aquatics before I make up my mind. I'll definitely use the imp though.

At first it's rather sharp, but as it dries it starts to soften, but the sharpness lingers just enough to add something interesting to the scent. Reminds me of when I lived near the beach and there was approaching storm in the distance and the air was charged and salty and a bit sweet.

It's very nice, though I think it might actually smell better on hubby. I'll have to try it on him and then decide about a bottle. I'm also worried that it will end up turning to soap on me, we'll see.....

ADDED 8/2/08:

i really have no idea about this one. At first it smelled just like a bathroom scent or some sort of cleaning product. Not thrilled. For some reason though I keep sniffing it. It's slightly sharp, though not as sharp as some of the other ozone scents.

I don't think it's for me at all, but maybe (like most oils :P ) it will smell better on hubby.

And unfortunately for me this puppy is strong and stubborn.

Edited by Shollin

Tempest

This scent reminds me a lot of Olokun, but with a bite.

in the imp: a crisp aquatic scent with a bite that clears sinuses, though I do not think it's eucalyptus, but maybe rather a pine or mint.

wet on skin: the bite isn't as strong, but this is definitely an aquatic. I'm happy that the "rain" scent doesn't give me a headache as "rain" as a single note tends to. This is becoming much more chaotic than Olokun, I can definitely tell a difference

drydown: This is very nice. A salty aquatic with a bite. Definitely on my big-bottle list. The hubby loves it and it's now tied with Olokun as my favorite scent. The mood of this scent isn't so much awake as it is anxious/aprehensive. I might not want to wear this if I'm going through an anxious or worrisome period of time. Still, a must-have in a big bottle.

I'm more excited about this oils than I have been about any other in a long time! It is my perfect clean water-spa scent and reminds me of clear Swiss lakes and streams. It is similar to Crabtree and Evelyn's La Source products.

It's hard for me to go into a lot of detail about this one in the different stages, because they all blend together really well.

I get a lot of fresh and clean. Maybe a tinge of salt, but not much. I get a little citrus, maybe something floral too. It's hard to say. Light, and wafting. Very breezy. Nice. I like it. I think this will be a fantastic stay at home scent, for pampering and vegging. Being healthy.

I like this a lot.

Fresh and clean, seems like strong ozone to me, unless I'm just amping that note. I didn't smell citrus right away, but now that I read other notes, I can pick it out. If you're curious as to what ozone smells like I would say give this a try. Smells nice but if I wear ozone blends, I prefer them a little darker, more complex, and/or deeper like Kingsport or Cthulhu.

Bottle: certainly smells watery, kind of like a bath oil. It is pretty though does not really scream rain at me.

Self wet: reminds me of shampoo but not in a bad way. Kind of a light scent so put a bit more on, then a bit more.

Later: soapy, still very clean and watery. Does not quite put me off but makes it more something too close to bath oils or lotions than my idea of perfume. The citrus did come out a bit but could not override the soap and I did not get any salt like some reviewers said (I guess mine is freshwater).

Overall: I was raving to mother about Bpal so we discussed what she likes in smells. She mentioned liking clean and fresh, this imp will like her better than me I think.

Edit: sure enough, it smelled clean and fresh on her without the soap. Heh, body chemistry.

Edited by Rchll