Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Tempest is one scent that is nearly identical on me as it was in the bottle: Very fresh, very clean and a little wet, like walking on a lakeshore while the sky grows dark over you and a storm rolls in. (I don't get ocean from it at all, it's very much freshwater on me.)

The first time I tried it I was disappointed it didn't last long, but then I realised it was during the one week a month where every single thing I put on turns to powder in two hours or less. This time it has much more staying power -- I can smell it wafting up to me as I type this.

This was a gift imp from the lab, and I'm so very glad it was because it wasn't even on my list to try! It's quite lovely and not overpowering on me, and I'm definitely thinking about picking up a bigger bottle.

tempest.jpg

Tempest is cool and refreshing and very similar to Cathode and Sea of Glass. It is an "aquatic" scent married with "ozone". Sea of Glass and Cathode have the same aquatic/ozone note, but mixed with Lily of the Valley in the former, and mint in the latter. That fact makes Tempest a more plain but pure version of aquatic/ozone.

There is nothing sweet or floral about Tempest. I would call it peppy and a bit astringent. It isn't a sexy scent, it's more "sportive" and alert. It certainly isn't a "natural" blend, it smells artificial in the best way (not the HARSH commercial nastiness of expensive designer "active" fragrances). If you are looking for a BPAL alternative to the zingy perky sporty fragrance, this one is a good bet. It would go great on the tennis court, running or working out in the gym

i really like this scent even though i can't pick out a single note from it. it really does make me think of water and rain.

i have to agree with the rest of the reviews that it is ozone/aquatic/sporty.

i put a little bit on at the beginning of the day. And reapplied around 5 PM. i guess i may have put on too much at reapplication because the scent lasted with me throughout the night and well into the next morning.

which in my world wasn't a bad thing. but i'm partial to aquatic notes.

i find this scent to be very calming and very relaxing.

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, fresh air, and breezes after the rain.

Just On: Yup, it smells like the air after a rain, that hint of sweet, and the freshness, and just pleasant in general.

An hour or two later: Yeah, fresh air after the rain, and a hint of dryer sheet.

Around 6 hours: Pretty much the same as right above, but faded.

12 hours: Hints of breeziness, but mostly gone.

Overall: This is a little bit like Storm Moon, in that air scent, but this is the air of a storm over a lake, when it's pretty much done raining, and the flowers from shore start to perk up again.

After reading other reviews: I really don't get any citrus out of this one like others did. And I wasn't getting ocean, but rather a large lake.

I can't tolerate ozones for long (sea of glass is pretty light but even it get a little persistent sometimes) but I sniffed my imps of Sea of Glass and Tempest and they smell like the same type of ozone. Only sea of glass is a little more tempered & slowbuilding whereas Tempest is more crisp right off the bat. So depending on what you're looking for in an ozone/marine scent, you might want to look into one or the other.

In the bottle:

VERY BLUE, it's strong and sharp

On me:

Hmm... I'm not sure this makes me think of rain at all. It's not quite as fresh in an airy/rainy sort of way - it is fresh and clean though in a laundry sort of way. Like most others, I do smell lemon - but it's so faint that I find myself questioning whether or not I really smell it. So I definitely wouldn't qualify this as a citrus scent by any means. This scent makes me think of something very specific, but I can't put my finger on it. I have smelled something that smells just like it, but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Final note:

This isn't a bad scent, I find it to be pleasant in a clean laundry sort of way, but it does not make me think of the ocean or rain at all. It's a little too perfumey for that in my opinion. This would make a great room scent however, and I intend on keeping my imp solely for that purpose! :P

Origin: Oblation Caravan (so, many of these are going to very short reviews because I've got about 4 of the circular swaps at once right now.)

This one is clean and defintiely ozone-y.. very light.

It would probably make a great after shower scent if it wasn't one of the "headache inducing" sort, for me.. :P

This was very similar to Lightning on me, but this one is giving me a slight headache, unfortunately. I think that it's somewhat heavier than Lightning, and maybe a bit sweeter.

It's definitely a fresh ozone scent, but it's really intense. Too much so for me, I fear.

Ozone scents don't do much for me personally, but if they are your thing, this is a very nice one. Clean, fresh, smooth not sharp. I get citrus and ozone, no pine.

Not terribly long lasting on me - it had faded altogether in less than 6 hours. Not a lot of throw.

Normally I'm not into the ozone scents, but tempest is definitely an exception. It's a lovely, stormy, fresh rain scent glazed over with a wet, green floral. I live in Florida, and this is exactly what it smells like in the jungle-y undergrowth after a thunderstorm. When the flowers are strong, wet and juicy. Glorious, the perfect storm :P

Tempest is the first of 13 BPAL scents I've tried and so far it's my favorite. I LOVE it and I ordered a big bottle, plus a bunch of imps. Actually, to me it smells like a peony garden during a storm. When I was a kid our neighbors had a huge garden full of peonies and we used to play in it. That's exactly what it smells like to me. A lot of the people I've been around since I started wearing it have asked me what kind of perfume I was wearing and told me that it smelled great. I think I'm addicted. :P

This is good, but it's very much a room scent, not a personal one. VERY strong and VERY aquatic.

In addition, I get the 'storm' feeling second and the first thing it reminds me of is the linen closet in my bathroom back home. My mom hung some kind of essential oil called "China Rain" (don't know by who) in a clay/ceramic jar in that particular linen closet to make it smell nice, and so Tempest makes me think of...Mom's clean towels. :P

Thought I had reviewed this, guess not.

Wasn't anything like the description. More of an upper end designer perfume, with a touch of bright, crispness...Not ozone/rain at all on me.

Nice, but not for me.

My first ozone scent, yeehaw. Don't remember if this one was a frimp or not (I'm vaguely sure it was), but let's try out this experiment.

In the vial - Lime and... pine? There's something herby in here, but I'm not sure what. It's an undertone right now, buried under the lime.

Wet - Lime and some other evergreen, not pine. The lime is still in the forefront, though.

Drying - Will the mystery herb please stand up? It's become almost over-powered by that herb, whatever it is. It's not a culinary one, that I can tell. It's a wet smelling herb, like rain falling on crushed leaves.

Dry (15 minutes later) - Okay, I can place it now. It's balsam and grapefruit seed that I'm smelling and... I don't like it. *sighs*

Overall - This fades fast, which is good, but I really, really don't like it on me. It's not ozone on me at all, just that strange combo of evergreen and citris that doesn't work well. Swapage.

When I first applied Tempest, it smelled like crushed lemon rind with a sort of salt water twinge. As it dries it begins to smell more soapy and I start thinking about dryer sheets. 15 minutes later the citrus starts to come out and is stronger, along with something that could be pine. It's sort of green and sharp. Not as much ozone or aquatic as I had anticipated.

After about 2 hours... all dryer sheet. 5 hours later it was gone. I am not amazed with this one, probably wouldn't ever buy a full bottle.

Tempest was very water-and-ozone fresh. I'm getting a dusty note, what you'd find in the air with a strong North wind and tall thunderheads blowing in.

It's like the kind of September day when you step outside and smell winter coming. Somewhere, it's snowing.

This was exactly what I wanted Sea of Glass to be on me! SoG turned out to be way too strong for my nose, so I tried diluting it in order to wear it, but it didn´t work out as I had planned (the smell was just as strong, the staying power disappeared :D)

Tempest is very fresh and would, as someone mentioned, be perfect for outdoor activities in the spring/summer/early autumn. I regret that I didn´t bring it with me when I went sailing a week ago, as it would have been great for lazy days at sea.

Somewhere in there, I sense something that makes me think about a shower gel for men :P But I wouldn´t say that it´s a very masculine scent. At all. To me, it´s something inbetween masculine and girly-girly florals, and it´s both a comforting smell as well as it´s some kind of a hey-let´s-get-things-done scent.

Not on my bottle list (yet!), but I´m absolutely positive it will be perfection for someone else!

In the Bottle or Imp:

Very salty, brightly ozonic water scent. This is the same opener I detect in other ozonics like Lightning, Kingsport, Thunderbird and Storm Moon... It's a very strong, heady salty scent.

Wet, on Skin:

Sharp crackles of thunderous ozone, crisp and very, very strong. It's laid upon a very slightly sweet rain scent, which is definitely backseat to the potent ozone.

Drying Down:

It's sweetening, if that's possible, and just a touch too strong for me at this point. Yes, I do get the dryer sheet here, but only if dryer sheets were made of stormclouds and cracked with static electricity.

Dry on Skin:

I... detect... cucumber? Melon? This is as if the clouds are parting and the Tempest has resolved itself. I get a faintly cucumber melon aroma still mingled with rain and the remnants of the ozone.

Over Time/Longterm:

Surprisingly sweet melony drydown. I'm not sure I like this as much as Kingsport's drydown, or Lightning's... It's not bad, but a little too fruity for my tastes.

Final Verdict?

I'm waffling on this one. The opening clamor makes me say '10 mL!' whereas the gentle drydown makes me arch an eyebrow and think... I'll keep the imp.

Weird. This is just. . .weird. Wet on my skin, it was a very cool, fresh aquatic with soft floral tones. As soon as it dried, something sharp and rather nasty took over for about an hour (it smelled like dandelion and pesticide to me, daffodil and pesticide to my friend). Later, the same friend said she smelled melon. Then, it went through about a 2-hour stage when it was absolutely lovely--a clean, light floral. After that, and for the rest of the evening until I showered it away, the general consensus was soap. Nice, expensive, herbal soap. . .but soap. All in all, not bad, but not big bottle-worthy.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, it smelled the same, but I had a hard time pinning it down. Light floral... does anyone remember Anais Anais? I haven't smelled it in ages so I may be misremembering, but that's what it reminds me of.

But then, oh! Dry, I am standing on the beach in Galveston (one of the nice ones, mind). Watery and salty, still a touch floral in the background but not much.

*sniffle* I moved north from Houston about two years ago and haven't been near a beach since then, I miss the ocean. Tempest makes me miss it a LOT. I'm not sure if this is something I will wear... it'd make a nice room scent, except that I'm not that fond of it wet. Hrm.

Very ozone-y, pure and light, with some dark. Like a storm that you can sense the light behind. It's very clean, and I totally see why people associate it with dryer sheets. But I tried this on a day that started dark due to rain, and hasn't lightened yet--and it's just perfect for it.

Very simple, very pure. Very post-fresh-rain (not especially during).

(not really me for normal wear, though, likely.)

In the bottle this was gorgeous: clean and sharp, a little edgier than your standard sporty fragrance, with a bright citrusy top note that reminded me of yuzu. On me, alas, it instantaneously deliquesced into pure fabric softener with a hint of lemon Pledge. Curses on my body chemistry.

Undeterred, I dumped some on a cotton ball and threw it in the dryer with a load of towels, and now they smell amazing. I think I might buy a big bottle for that purpose alone.

On me, this is ozone, green grass and citrus initially. When it dries, it develops a burnt rubber note under the grass that I didn't like. This note eventually fades, and hours later it is a light, pleasant, grassy ozone. A little masculine, I think, up until the ending. Overall, I didn't really care for this, and won't be keeping it.

On the wand: citrusy, with a faint hint of ozone, possibly lemon. Fresh like a spring breeze, but not the laundry-sheet kind, the real kind.

Wet, on me: Lightning. How she bottled lightning, I don't know. I feel like a storm goddess. I also get that hint of lemon again, maybe a whiff of mint. Very fresh and clean.

Dry-down: It's amazing how much this smells like a nice spring rainstorm, where you've maybe just cut the grass and everything is all clean and cool. I really like this scent, it's a good summer scent. I feel surprisingly empowered, I wasn't even scared when I called for that job interview earlier! :P This one might be a big-bottle scent for me.

Truly beautiful scent. I fell in love with it at first sniff. In bottle, it was more ozony than anything, but when wearing, a strong citrus scent took over. Reminded me of an orange peel squirting out into the air. Just very nice. In the burner, it's pure citrus, but reminded me of a Sunkist.

The throw on me is not great, but scent itself is quite good on me. Keeper for sure. 8/10