Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

My impression:
This is a cool, drisp, clean scent with a citrus undertone to it. A really "nice girl"
kind of scent and although the throw is not quite what I would like it to be, ( a little stronger) overall I find it to be a pleasing and appealing scent. My scale from 1-5...3 :P

I didn't think that I would like this one and I was right! Aquatic/ozony scents just don't work on me at all - This one went like air freshner on me.

Out of the bottle however it smelled very fresh and clean!

In the imp: In my mind, it brings up dark blue and green swirls. I can smell a layer of something citrus under that cooling humidity post rain smell.

Wet: Smells like rain—cool and a steely, blue green color. Very light. I think I smell some orange under there. Like it very much right now.

Drydown: Very watery, very clean. A little soapy, but a soap I would like to use. Also, the citrus is gone now, and replaced with white floral scent. Not over sweet, but fresh. After several hours I can still smell faint traces of it.

I don't know that I'd get a bottle of it, but I will definitely go through the imp.

Um, wow. I really did not expect to be able to wear this, as pretty much every other aquatic/ozone scent I have tried has enede up smelling like really cheap men's cologne on me and giving me a headache (stupid chemistry)...

Insteat, Tempest is light and airy with a hint of something almost tea or citrus like...there are definitely some herbs on the breeze.

This is not something I would wear every day, or even probaly put on more than once a few months, but it is a lovely scent.

I don't smell ozone in this one. I smell...lilacs? Some kind of spring bulb flower. It's pretty, and it stays very true to the first sniff from the bottle, all the way through drydown. It's just not me. I admit that I'm not sure I'd want to use an ozone scent as perfume even if I did find one that I thought actually smelled like the air right before a storm, but the truth is there are so many other BPAL scents that stand out on me.

In the vial: ozone and rain

Wet: stays ozone and rain, but there are some faint other notes twitching about -- some sort of sweet citrus which I can't identify.

Dry: sweeter, but still ozone and rain on me. I'm shocked that this one didn't turn into some too-sweet monster on me.

I suspect I'll be buying a bottle at some point in the future.

I don't wear ozone or "clean" scents at all. They *always* remind me of Men's Speed Stick deodorant. I am such a lover of rain and, especially, of thunderstorms, but alas, I can't wear them.

At first sniff, and wet on the skin, I figured this would be no exception. However, this one is tempting to keep. The lemon in it seems to give it a bit of balance or something. I don't know, but it is sort of pleasant. Maybe it is only my hope that I can get used to smelling like men's deodorant but I think I am going to keep it for awhile. There is a possibility that I could try layering it with something that suits me better. I really would like to smell like a tempest. I am often in one, so it would be fitting!

Wow! Perfect! :P

I have a lovely piece of sea shell that I polished and use as a pendant. It's a memento of the wonderous day I spent at the beach in Delaware when there was a whole slew of dolphins playing in the surf not 10 yards off shore. Even after polishing it, my shell smells like that day at the ocean beach, but the scent is now very faint. I've been trying forever to find a perfume with that exact scent, and finally I have.

Hallelujah! Tempest smells exactly, 100% like my sea shell -- fresh, tangy, salty, warm, inviting, nostalgic. I absolutely love it! And I do not smell any of the flower, laundry, or citrus notes that others have mentioned, just the smell of a refreshing day at the ocean. The rain connection does make sense to me though, because I hate hot weather and avoid beaches in the summer. I love beaches in spring and fall, when the weather is often cloudy and cool. Tempest is not a baking-in-the-sun scent, thank goodness! Very clean and refreshing.

I have an imp of this, so the only question is whether I'm going to buy a 5ml or a 10ml of Tempest. I give this scent a perfect 10! :D

Tempest. Bought this on the forum and was greatly looking forward to it.

In Bottle: Pretty, light citrus with aquatic notes. This smells like the breeze you get over the ocean after a rain.

Wet: Stayed true.

Dry Down: Developed a more floral note. No idea which floral, but it decidedly more floral than ozone-tinged.

Staying Power: The dry down scent stayed. It became more intense on me as the day passed, but is the first scent of the eight I've tried that hasn't needed re-applying later. Sadly, the scent became nearly overpowering, and I developed a bad headache from it. I wore this on a stormy day, and it fit the mood. But the headache may be the dealbreaker in this one.

The frimp rushed me to buy a 5ml. This is one fabulous scent and makes terribly homesick for those clock-work summer thunder storms of Colorado. Tempest is all there: ozone to the nines, sheeting rain (if not a suggestion of hailstones,) and all the "green" which is eventually intensified at the end of the storm, both in color as well as scent promises of mesquite and purple mountain-sage flower. Tempest is one of my favs which I often wore during the hot, all too dry months of summer. Its negative ion in a bottle. Very uplifting! Brava!

Tempest has captured my favorite part of a rainy day... the crisp, clean freshness a heavy rainstorm brings during the sping months.

This is the smell of playing in rainpuddles, or running though a forrest during a light, steady rain..

Clean, fresh and gorgeous! I love this scent.

preconceived notion: I'm not even sure what ozone smells like. Maybe it's one of those "you'll know it when you smell it" kind of things? I do like rain but usually the first gentle rain before a storm smells like pavement. My expectations are medium.

in the imp: mmm. Okay, I know this alright. It's AEROSOL. I should have known.

wet: On my skin, it smells like... water. Like nothing. Like a bland colorless, tasteless liquid. But then, after about thirty seconds, a citrusy smell creeps in. It's very subtle. And actually, very refreshing and cheering. This smells like something that you could spritz on your face and body to refresh your skin while tanning on the deck of a cruise ship under the hot Caribbean sun.

drydown: That clean and fresh impression continues. Sort of reminds me of laundry that is drying outside on a line. It's pretty and seductively faint, and disappears into a mist of fresh salt breeze and the beach. And... oddly... there is the rarest hint of honey-caramel.

verdict: I cannot tell if this is exceedingly gorgeous or not distinctive at all. It seems like this would be safe to wear anywhere... I'm not afraid of overpowering anyone... but I don't know yet how I feel about it.

post-conceived notion: this scent has left me conflicted and perplexed, and I'm going to have to revisit it at least once more before making a final decision.

This is...wonderful. Why did I take so long to order this? I must be crazy.

In the imp- water and fresh, clear air.

On my skin- This smells just like the description says! This is a water-laden breeze, heavy with the promise of rain. I feel like the warning before the rain hits.

Dry- More water, less air. I smell like rain and storm. How a storm fits in an imp, only Beth knows....

Tempest: I LOVE IT!!

Fresh from the imp, this is a sharp, wet breeze: a wind that brings rain, with a slight sting in the air (I think it is the citrus doing this, but it doesn't smell distinctly "citrus", just sharp).

Drying, this has an amazing effect on the air around me: I am surrounded by Tempest wind, and it is a very cooling, energizing effect.

Dry:

There is just the lightest touch of floral to this aquatic scent: a wet, white floral, but it is quite subdued. The sharpness is still here, but it is now more from the wind than the electricity in the air before the storm. It is as though the rainclouds have done their work and dissipated, leaving everything wet, while a cooling wind is still blowing the various after-storm fragrances through the air.

Overall:

This is THE cooling, aquatic scent I'd been hoping to find! HURRAH! It is pure, refreshing, and gorgeous: I will definitely be getting a big bottle. Wearing this oil energizes and excites me, just as a summer storm does. I've never had such a perfectly "blue" scent before! I'm going to make this scent my seminar and office-hours scent, to energize me through the long hours (and perk up everyone around me!) BEAUTIFUL!

Tempest has grown to be one of my favorite scents, and I can't beleive I haven't reviewed this lovely yet. Tempest is a rainstorn in a green meadow, very strong ozone and green. I layer it on top of practically everything, because while I like florals, I like florals even better in the rain! It is a brillantly fresh standalone scent too, unique and evocative.

at first: ozone and water.

on: very, very wet, but with that tang of ozone. definitely the scent of the air before it rains.

1.5 hours later: this is a tiny bit sweet, now. it's lovely. still that pre-rain scent.

3 hours later: still strong and ozone-y.

overall: while this is beautiful, i already have quite a few oils that fit the "damp" sort of vibe that this is giving off.

In Bottle: Sweet ozone

On Skin: This is a beautiful ozone scent that doesn’t smell like soap right away like most ozone scents do on me. It is a pretty rain… a little sister to Storm Moon. Fresh but not invigorating, more relaxing and quiet. Very clean and springlike. I do eventually start getting a soapy note, but nothing too overpowering. I think I would like this as a room scent as well…

In the imp: Crisp, light, ozone-y aquatic. There's a touch of something faintly floral, but it's really all about the aquatics.

On, wet: Stays absolutely true to the imp scent.

Drydown: The faintly floral aspect is a little stronger, but as with other aquatics, it stays pretty consistent on me throughout the process.

I *heart* aquatics, and this one is gorgeous. It might displace Demeter's Gentle Rain/Rain, which up until now was my favorite.

Another winner scent. Tempest smells like just rained on rockies overlooking a "tempest" sea. It's ozone, green and aquatic. There's a very slight citrus tang when wet but dries down beautifully clean, crisp and fresh. This is something I could wear daily, though I think Phantasm would be quite jealous :P. Another big bottle order for the future.

Edited by mandragora

I love rain. I love the ocean, lakes, rivers... anything water related. Unforunately I never seem to smell that in any aquatic scent and this is no exception to that.

Tempest smells almost identical to a perfume that I have, but don't know the name of. It's not a horrible perfume as I had worn it once a week or so for a couple of years. It's an aquatic as well, but it just smells... blue. I became very sick of that perfume and I have yet to find an aquatic that I like, so when I tried Tempest, it automatically reminded me of that perfume and therefore I'm not fond of it.

I just don't think aquatics and me get along very well.

In The Bottle Oiy, fake aquatic ickyness! It really reminds me of Calgon's Turquise Seas which I hate, so I'm hoping it'll morph into something nice on my skin.

Wet On More citrus sharpness is coming out, but still fairy fake and yucky. :D

Dry Uh oh, this is a headache waiting to happen. Just not good at all on me. Not at all what I had hoped for, I was really expecting to love this, but instead I'll have to wash it off. :P I think this one'll be getting swapped, unless some miracle occurs on my skin in the next few seconds......

eeewwww, it just turned into a mouldy plastic smell!! Ok, just not for me. Swap pile it is.

In the imp:

Hmm. Minty? It has a certain "fresh" smell to it, but I can't figure out what.

Fresh on the skin:

Same as above, but now it has a wide-open space sort of smell... fresh and unidentifiable.

After a few minutes:

I'm getting some sort of non-scent sort of smell from this. It's hard to pin down, but it's definitely not reminding me of the air before a storm. It's more like an unscented soap sort of smell.

I think I'd pass on this one. It doesn't smell like much of anything, which doesn't really make it wearable in my mind.

In the bottle: Pretty much pure aquatic. Sort of halfway between Lightning's salty ozone and Desdemona's flowery water-garden.

First on: But this one has citrus! It's very light and refreshing... although more suited to a nice summery day than a day like today where snow is bucketing down.

Dry: A fairly good laster with a nice amount of throw.

Overall: I do love me the aquatics. This one's definitely a keeper.

Tempest

In the imp: fresh, slightly salty, pure ozone. I quite like this-it’s like rain on the sea.

Wet on skin: interesting, the scent gets a bit peppery now. That’s really odd. I also get a metallic scent.

Dry: what an intriguing, unusual scent. At times, this is fresh, airy, slightly salty and wet. Rain falling on a stormy ocean, cold winds lashing your face. Very evocative of a coming tempest. At times however, it reminds me of celery, white florals, pepper/spices and something familiar…photocopying machines? wtf??? It reminds me of the ozone scent above certain electrical objects, heated metal and electrical currents warming the air and giving it a distinctive scent. Well, it seems Beth has nailed the ozone note in here very accurately-a bit too accurate for comfort at times…

After a while: I’m afraid this ozone note doesn’t like me. usually ozone turns to soap if it wants to make a bad reaction, but this is just bizarre-it’s almost like warm plastic and heated metal, it smells like ‘office ozone’ like what you get around computers and photocopiers. Now that is weird. I wanted the rainy ocean scent I had before!

The drydown is a weird mixture of fresh salty ocean breezes, hot metal, and now chalk or plaster. This ozone ain’t agreeing with my skin at all.

Verdict: ozone notes are very hit or miss on me. I love Urania and Sea of Glass, like Nyarlahotep, didn’t like Storm Moon. This is another ozone that I’m not keen on. Not because it goes soapy, but because it smells very chemical on me…in the imp I get the wonderful ‘rain on the ocean’ scent I hoped for, but on the skin the ozone smells like the real ozone produced by photocopiers and other electrical appliances (yup, this ozone note sure is realistic, but in this case, it’s a bit too realistic for me!)…it’s that heated metal and plastic, with a hint of plaster and chalk on drydown. Shame really, because it had potential before my skin decided to ruin it. I'm not disappointed though since I never really liked storms anyway (I know, I'm in the minority here). Off to swaps.