Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dedee

Gingerbread Snake

Oh dear! I'm a quarter gone!

Gingerbread and exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Yay! The Yules of 2013 have begun!! I will start with my most anticipated one!!

From the bottle: spicy warm gingerbread, yummy!!

First applied on skin: I smell like gingerbread and warm cinnamon. A comforting, baked cinnamon, not the scary overly strong cinnamon that my skin can amp badly like Saw Scaled Viper. But no Snake Oil yet...

After about 20 minutes: OMG I think I am in love.... Snake Oil is coming through and mixed with gingerbread it is simply AMAZING!!! I need to buy more bottles of this... like right now!!

Verdict: When this scent was announced I was so excited! I even had mentioned in the Yule Stalking thread that I was hoping for a 'Snakes in the Gingerbread House' type scent! This scent combines two of my favorites into one and I am in heaven.... I never knew one could smell like a sexy gingerbread house, but it is possible!! :yum: If you like Gingerbread, if you Love Snake Oil, all I can say is HORDE THIS!! You'll be wanting more than one bottle, I swear!!

Snake Oil is the scent that always feels like it's part of me. It can be sultry and it can be comforting. Fresh or aged, I love it beyond the telling of it.

Gingerbread Snake is like that, but with the bonus element of making me feel like a saucy Gingerbread Woman. Yes, that's a thing now, and it's a wonderful one. She is the temptress who will seduce the innocent Gingerbread Man with her warm and spicy charms.

I will need backup bottles.

In The Bottle: Last year, I got my family the most gingery gingerbread cake that this world had ever known. It was a delicious basic gingerbread but with this very adult ginger BITE to it. Most my family didn't care for it but I ate, like, three slices of the cake. This scent, in the bottle, is like that extra-kick gingerbread cake plus Snake Oil. So, you know, off to an amazing start.

Wet On Skin: The gingerbread is adding this incredible warmth to this whole affair. Which is a little weird to say, because it's not like Snake Oil doesn't have it's OWN warmth. And yet, that's one of the things I'm really noticing here.

In All: It's one of those situations where you take two really wonderful things and then put them together and they become their OWN wonderful thing. I'm not going to say that these elements complete each other, because both Gingerbread and Snake Oil are complete unto themselves. but this, this is it's own wonderfulness. and I'll tell you something else: I am one of those people that only wears aged Snake Oil. Like, 12 month minimum aging is required for me. But THIS stuff, right here, this is great *now*.

Which means people will be killing each other for some next year at this time. :ack:

Need. Backup. Bottles. :thud:

In the bottle: Yummy and spicy gingerbread cake...almost a cinnamon-y scent to me!

On Skin: OOh...no cinnamon (thank goodness, was worried) but as other stated, it is like a sexy gingerbread cake.

Drydown: Can start to smell the Snake Oil...I think this will be beautiful with age since it is wonderful NOW!! Both mingle so well together!! Hoard worthy for sure!!

Fresh from the mailbox. :wub2:

In the bottle: YUM. Spicy, yummy, vanilla icing covered gingerbread.

On: This is definitely Snake Oil that soaked up some gingerbread goodness. There is no way to go wrong with this one. It's sexy, sexy gingerbread.

:thud: :joy: :yum:

The first time I tried this (yesterday) it was eye-watering levels of spicy gingerbread. In the background, a very shy snake was slithering past. Tonight I'm getting a bit more snake and the gingerbread isn't quite so strong, thankfully. I think as it continues to age and mellow it's going to be a favorite. It's like Shub with Snake Oil. Yum!

Someone's been baking gingerbread in a hurry, whilst getting ready for a Christmas party with way too many guests invited and not enough time. Whilst juggling kitchen tasks, that someone remembers they have put on their BPAL yet, even though they are dressed for the party. So, they reach for the number one go-to scent, Snake Oil, but as they are flustered they accidently drop the bottle. It slips down from buttery, vanilla-frosting flecked fingers. The bottle falls onto a tray of still-warm and fresh-baked gingerbread and all of the oil soaks into the goods. They are rendered completely inedible by this calamity, but... the someone cannot help but think that the smell of the gingerbread mixing with the precious oil is truly heavenly, even though they are saddened to have made a spill.

Yes. Fresh-baked gingerbread goodness, oozing with Snake Oil and yuletide warmth. The PERFECT Christmas perfume.

In the bottle: The gingerbread note in this is very true to the actual thing. Gingerbread mixed with fresh Snake Oil. The gingerbread is the prominent note, but the Snake Oil is definitely there. I tend to love Snake Oil when it is mixed with other notes, and this blend smells very promising.

Wet: An instant blast of gingerbread! My stomach actually growled. After a little bit, the Snake Oil starts to emerge, but the gingerbread is the dominant note at the moment. As the Snake Oil mingles with the gingerbread, the blend becomes less foody. In other words, I don't want to take a bite out of my arm any more. This is a really sexy gingerbread scent.

Although I have sensitive skin, the spices in this blend aren't burning my skin at all. Huzzah!

Dry: Gingerbread and Snake Oil. The Snake Oil is stronger on the drydown than it was previously, and the gingerbread really complements the Snake Oil.

Verdict: This is made of win! This was an instant bottle purchase, and it did not disappoint! I am sure it will age marvelously.

I tested this directly out of the mailbox, before it even had time to get to room temperature, which is less than ideal. Therefore take this with a grain of salt. I will be re-testing at a later date ;)

Wet: There is a local coffee shop in my hometown that makes the best chai latte I've ever had. It's EXTREMELY sweet and spicy and I've never had another like it, no matter how many coffee shops I go to all over the country. This smells EXACTLY like that in the bottle. Even if I don't wear this as a perfume, I'll treasure the bottle for that reminder of my hometown.

On Skin: Holy ginger, Batman! This is a gingerbread man with some teeth to bite you back. I'd almost say this is a single note ginger on me, but there is that faint hint of baked goods in the background. Lots of throw on this, too.

I never actually smell snake oil in this, but it does seem to get lovely and musky as it dries. I have a feeling that as it ages the snake oil will become more prominent. Right now it is very aggressive and sharp, almost a bit too much for me. I need a bit of that vanilla sweetness from snake oil! I'm going to stash this away for a few weeks, and something tells me it will be just lovely.

Edit: After just a few weeks aging, this is getting GOOD. The ginger is still present, but it's not so biting, and the spices are clearly Snake Oil spices. As it dries it becomes a little sweeter and muskier, while still smelling like delicious, edible gingerbread. I wish I could fast-forward to see what this will smell like in a year or two, I bet it will be unbelievable!

Edited by Teaker

I love Snake Oil, both on its own and as a note in more complex blends, like the Snake Pit scents. I've never gotten "play-doh" from it until the last two Snake Oil blend releases. Sadly both Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch and now Gingerbread Snake smell a little like play-doh to me - an earthy, flat, clay-like scent, which is particularly apparent up close (the waft is truer to the original Snake Oil). I'm not sure if this is a skin chemistry thing, an aging thing, or something to do with the way Snake Oil mixes with the gingerbread and pumpkin accords, so take this with a grain of salt. (In general, my skin chemistry is ideal for perfume oils - there is little to no distortion.)

The gingerbread note itself is quite delicious, although it's a decidedly grown-up and serious gingerbread, strong on the ginger and spice, and low on the sugar and vanilla notes. I never thought I would say this, but the Snake Oil ruins it a little for me right now, especially when wet, when the play-doh note is most apparent. The late dry-down is more what I hoped from the scent; delicious gourmet gingerbread with a hint of sultry patchouli-vanilla. I will hang on to this and let it age; let's hope that a few months in the black box will make it much more wearable.

ETA: I take it back. After a few days, this is everything I hoped it would be - warm, spicy, slightly lemony gingerbread with the sultry heat of the Snake Oil lying just below the surface. I've been wearing it nonstop this weekend. If it smells funny coming out the mailbox, I recommend letting it warm up, especially if you're from the Northern climes like myself.

Edited by Helas

When I saw this blend up, I was SOOO excited....ALMOST as excited as when I saw Snakes in the Pumpkin Patch!! Then, I thought..."oh, it may be just like Shub layered with Snake Oil...I can live wirhout it". I quickly dismissed that last part and insisted that Santa immediately buy me a bottle outright- then I snuck it a week early because I just HAD to have it and compare them side by side. Shub is often described as "evil gingerbread". Gingerbread Snake now owns that title. Shub is sharper, almost lemony in its fresh ginger bite and bright resins. Gingerbread Snake is more baked, cinnomony, molassesy, chewy GINGERBREAD, with the ever famous, all time favorite, sexy assed Snake Oil!!!! Dried out, it smells like a potion of spices and black honey. OMG. It's way more than the sum of its parts, and while I smell delicious (if I do say so myself), I don't really think I smell like food, which I appreciate. Serge Lutens and Chanel can SUCK their gingerbread notes-BPAL NAILED it! Sophisticated, sexy, gourmond, brilliance! I love, love, love, LOVE it!!!

Edited by lookingglass

In the bottle, this is a beautiful scent, warm, sensual, earthy and cuddly, with a side of dominance. Unfortunately on me, it morphs almost immediately into the dirty animal smell I got from Smut. I'm going to layer with regular Snake Oil to see if I can steer it in a more wearable direction.

This is..to die for. I have blind ordered a whole lot of bottles I need to start trading on here and have not found one yet hoard worthy until I found this. This smells EXACTLY like its name. It is gingerbread snakeoil and it is TO DIE FOR. I really wish I didnt have these other bottles now because I need like enough of this to last me to my death. I already liked snake oil and snakes in the pumpkin patch..but this? This is delicious musky gingerbready snake oily goodness.

This is simply amazing.It's supersexy vanilla gingerbread! :yum: I adore snake oil both fresh and aged,and have also loved snakes in the pumpkin patch, but this is something different alltogether.I'm not getting as much snake oil from it,it is definately a scent of its own,but the vanilla and spices from snake oil blend wonderfully with the cinnamon and gingerbread.This will no doubt be even better in a couple of months :wub2:

Not much I can say here that hasn't already been said by others, but if you love the smell of gingerbread, and you love Snake Oil, getting this blend should be a no-brainer. I can't distinctly pick out the Snake Oil like I could with Snakes in the Pumpkin Patch, but I know it's there; there's a richness to the blend, like vanilla'd molasses, that could only be Snake Oil. This should be utterly amazing with age. wub2.gif

I almost talked myself out of this, because while I love Snake Oil, and I love gingerbread..... I haven't been thrilled with any other Yule gingerbread scents. Shub is my favorite gingerbread of all time, and none of the others (Gingerbread Poppet, etc) have ever compared. And if I can layer Snake Oil and Shub, do I really need a Gingerbread Snake?

OMG yes.

This gingerbread is luscious, cakey, rich gingerbread with lemon sauce. The Snake Oil adds a richness and spiciness, but the star is gingerbread. Fresh cake, made with molasses, and fresh spices, where Shub is cookies, drier and more dense.

I can't pick out the Snake Oil, but I can tell that it's there. I can't wait to see how this ages!

ETA: If you are familiar with Mother Ginger, that is the ginger in Gingerbread Snake. :D

Edited by ltrittipoe

This is exactly the type of thing you would imagine. It is warm, fragrant gingerbread fresh from the oven, and subtle spicy vanilla. It is a very convincing scent- think actual spices and cake, nothing fake or perfumey about this one. If you're thinking, why yes, gingerbread snake oil sounds delightful then I highly recommend this, you won't be disappointed. The ginger is more emphatic than the snake part. I agree this might be even more delightful with age.

My fiancé loves it. My one complaint is that the throw and wear time are a bit short, but I don't mind slathering because it is so yummy.

4 of 5. :-)

Finally got my decant. Starts out very heavy ginger, which I'm not that keen on, then softens into gingery Snake Oil. I was surprised at how quickly it faded. It's okay, but not something I'd get a bottle of.

Starts out as strong, awesome moist gingerbread. It's heavy on the cinnamon and gets a bit plasticy on me after a while. Far less strong than straight Snake Oil (that might be a good thing.) I like cinnamon though it seems to be taking over here, it's almost SN cinnamon with a hint of ginger and snake oil.

In general, it's awesome, but probably not so amazing I'd need more than one bottle.

On the other hand, I was underwhelmed by regular fresh Snake Oil although I love it aged.

Verdict: ???? Will probably get much better.

Edited by patina

Gingerbread meets Snake Oil!

So we have gingerbread with plenty of bite from fresh ginger and cinnamon, plus lots of vanilla and the other spicy/woodsy secret notes that comprise Snake Oil. A close relation to Shub-Niggurath, Pumpkin Queen, and undoubtedly Gingerbread Poppet, although it's been ages since I've sniffed that one. Also kin to Dia de los Reyes, for that heavy cinnamon note. Foody meets sexy, with excellent throw.

As with most ginger scents...the gingerbread is overwhelming the glory that is snake oil. I wanted this to work so badly...Alas...it must go by the wayside and find a new home. Or I may keep my decant and see what happens when it ages. :think:

SO delicious. Definitely a baked good sort of foody smell, with ginger and cinnamon most prominent. The other gingerbread spices and something Southeast Asian-smelling come out during drydown. Transitions into a slightly gingery Snake Oil after an hour or two. I also don't really care for fresh Snake Oil, but this is already delicious, vanilla and spice over subtle resin. Foody and sexy, awesome throw, lasts surprisingly long! I'm in love with this one and had to get a full bottle. YUM.

LOVE. I can't add anything new. Snake Oil + Gingerbread...perfectly spiced with no gross yeast.

Love this.

So very much sweeter and softer than Saw-Scaled Viper. Pretty much as advertised - it smells like you've been baking in the kitchen all day while wearing Snake Oil. The gingerbread is warm and sweet and lightly spiced, not screaming dry ginger, and more like a gingerbread cookie than a yeasty loaf of ginger and bread. It does turn ashy on my skin after a while, so I suspect that there's an extra vanilla note in the gingerbread part of the scent (the vanilla in Snake Oil doesn't turn ashy on my skin). It tends to round out the sharpness that can be present in fresh Snake Oil. It's actually not too rich or foody - the foody notes are tempered by the musk and spices in Snake Oil.

Highly recommended!