Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

Yup, Grog smells just like Butter Rum Lifesavers, I love it. It does get rather boozy the longer it's on, not a problem for me! This is also a wonderful layering scent, when I want a little bit of buttery roundness. I love some of Beth's simpler blends, they are really comforting and versatile :P .

Grog

I tried this back in November, scribbled down my thoughts on it, and promptly forgot to review it and anything else on the list. Somewhere on the boards, there's a thread about imps you passed through too quickly. Grog may be one of those imps for me.

The first sniff was a hot & heavy shot of yummy butterscotch. On the skin, it immediately went to what I thought of as Brach's butterscotch. Oh, the buttery goodness! My final note next to grog was a note that reads: DRINK ME! Because, yes, it's drinkable, edible goodness.

in the vial butterscotch schnapps

wet: rich creamy butterscotch yummy and sticky yet w/ a rummy background.

dry down, the butterscotch fades a bit it is a nice buttery rum. very very nice i love this one.

Wow! Grog smells just like butterscotch lifesavers mixed with rum. It is very boozy and sweet.

There is an odd undertone as though the butter has gone a bit off but it largely adds to the complexity of the scent.

Grog has decent staying power as it lasted for about four hours before I needed to reapply.

ordered as an imp. Though normally I shy away from scents that seem like they will be TOO buttery, sweet and foody (I like a little kick with my sweetness a la Velvet), there was something about this and its reviews that intrigued me so I figured, eh, if I don't like it, I can always regift.

BOTTLE: It smells like my grandmother's pocketbook ... she always kept a lifetime supply of Butter Rum Life Savers in there.

I applied somewhat sparingly to my wrists.

WET: On my skin, it imediately morphed into something a little less sweet, slightly smoky in an odd way and also believe it or not with a touch of citrus in the background. Just enough additional vague notes to keep it from being TOO sweet. My first reaction is that I surprisingly like it quite a bit but that it's not "me," a little too strong, too syrupy. But after a few minutes I change my mind and like it more and more as it dries down.

DRYDOWN: The more I smell this, the more I like it. There is something familiar that at first eludes me and then I place it as being Playdoh. I know, I know, I have used that comp before for Snow White. I am not sure if the two share a note, but if they do I am guessing that's the Playdoh note.

It is sweet but not TOO sweet, buttery but not TOO buttery. I wouldn't wear it every day but it is definitely a keeper. And I think that people who like Snow White might want to give this a try ...

ADDING from reading reviews that I also LOVE Slipper Nipples and Butterscotch schnapps shots so no wonder I like this ...

REREVIEWED AND REVISITED MARCH 2013:

Was gifted with an impy of this as lagniappe in a purchase.

IN THE IMP: Still the Butter Rum Life Savers, very sweet and butterscotchy and buttery.

Dabbed on one wrist

WET: On my skin when wet, very true to the imp smell. I don't get very much of the boozy part which is good because basically all alcohol notes are damned close to dealbreakers for me. But even the one bit of wrist-dabbing is just too strong for my taste.

DRYDOWN: It's not bad at all but it's not me. I do get occasional little throw-notes of something coconutty, like a pina colada, which is probably what gave me the Playdoh comparison on my first go-round.

OVERALL: The scent itself, as I said the first time, is SO evocative of my childhood. It smells like my grandmother (along with the pocketbook thing, we used to play gun rummy a lot and would use the Butter Rum Life Savers instead of coins). So for that alone I do like it a lot. But it is not something I can wear.

On a scale of 1-5 I give it a 3 for effort and memories but put into the swap box.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Sweet butter. Loveley. And foody! I happen to know someone who tried this and it smelled extremely coconuty on her, so if you like sweet butter OR coconut, try it! I can't get a coconut scent on me at all, but the rum goodness works for me. A big bottle, most definitely.

it was so difficult NOT to drink this. i don't really like the smell of rum, but oh my god, this was definitely liquid butterscotch. it smelled so delicious. it was brilliant on my skin for about the first 10 minutes, but something in it went sour on me after that. it's a shame, too, because i am definitely a BPAL pirate.

In the bottle, Grog does smell like butter rum Life Savers. On, it's very sweet, and it has a little of the burnt smell I got from Gluttony and Sugar Skull, but not as overpowering as those two were for me. It's not boozy on me, just sweet butterscotch like you'd put on ice cream.

It's a yummy smell, but I'm not sure I want to smell like it. I might put it in a burner or use the imp to layer with other things.

Grog

Yargh!

A swap from cookie (thanks again!) that I have been enjoying all afternoon.

In the bottle:

(warning: excessive use of exclamation points ahead, ye have been warned)

Butterscotch!

Wet:

Boozy butterscotch! (The Buttered Nipple mentioned previously is right on the mark.)

Drydown:

So damn boozy butterscotchy! (and just a wee bit of coconut!)

The Mr. says:

Yikes!

Later:

This is a pretty strong scent on me, with tons of throw. The Mr. is not warming up to it at all (I don't think he likes me all that foody) but I like it. I think I'll wear it out to the new local goth club (Joli Rouge) once it opens.

Grog gets points for finally, finally proving to my husband that not all BPAL smells the same (I must've been in a scent category rut... 'cause otherwise... WTF?)

This does smell exactly like a Lifesavers butterscotch candy initially. On the drydown it smells like...Scentual Pleasures Pink Cupcake scent. Exactly like it, which doesn't help those of you unfamiliar with Scentual Pleasures. The best way I can describe it is a kind of chemically pink frosting - not chemical bad, more chemical like not homemade (maybe it's the preservatives...) Too bad, I really love the initial scent, but I'm not as in love with the drydown. This scent lasts a really long time and seems to have good throw.

Hrmm..i like it but I wish it were more rummy than butterscotchy. Its very sweet and smells exactly like butterscotch candies. :P Its good & I'll enjoy my imp of it.

well, this was in interesting one for me.

in the bottle is smelled exactly like sweet, sweet rum to me. very rummy.

on, it smelled incredibly boozy, like I had poured rum on myself. very strong.

after a couple minutes it started to smell like fire, like drinking rum around a camp fire.

now in theory this might sound good, but I had a very unsettling "drinking rum around a campfire" experience when I was younger, and I really don't want to smell like that. it was so rummy and firey that I almost gagged. yup, just the smell of rum makes me want to vomit.

its too bad though. when I was thinking about the smell of rum and campfire it sounds pretty good. just not for me. :D

ADDED Feb. 21, 2006:

this one really isn't me. in the vial it smells good, sweet and butter-rummy, at first I thought it would be alright. when I first put it on the rum really came out, quite strong. it didn't really change much after that. it was just strong rum on me. kinda makes my stomach turn (bad rum experience :P )

I'm with everyone who said it smells like luscious, butterscotchy goodness. It smells like cream liquers feel in your mouth. Like cream mixed with butterscotch scnapps maybe. (and there's a little mint in there somewhere? My nose is saying there's an undercurrent of wintergreen?)

Anyway, I'm not usually a slather-er, but when I wear this, I find myself really pouring it on.

Grog is amazing if you love the smell of rich butterscotch. Unfortunately, I really really can't do foody scents. This is the only BPAL I've ever actually ended up washing off :P

Grog smells exactly how it's supposed to. First, a blast of sweet butterscotch, followed by the scent of rum. (Like Belladonnastrap, I am also reminded of the drink called a Buttery Nipple.) It mellows into a sweet, creamy scent. Not something I really want to smell like--but enjoyable just the same.

At first whiff it reminded me of Gluttony (which scared me at first), kind of maple smelling. But on the die down its more of a nice rum smelling. Its not bad, just not for me

i wish i could drink this. it's buttery and warm. i can smell the slight spiciness of the rum, but the coconut is what really shines here. very strong raw coconut scent at first, becomes more sweet and delicate as it dries.

Mmmmm…in the bottle, hot buttered rum.

Wet, it's still hot buttered rum with a hint of spice. Nutmeg? No, probably not.

On dry down first it gets very sweet…butterscotch, and I think it's going to be too sweet for me. But then after a while the sweetness mellows out and it gets smokier. Lovely!

In summary, this is probably too sweet for everyday use, but much nicer than expected, and fun to wear every now and then.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, give this a 4 .

grog was weird on me. i wanted to love it because, hello! pirate fixation. (all REAL pirates drink grog, after all.) it, alas, did not love me, the scurvy scoundrel. i could smell the creamy butterscotch goodness in the imp, with a slightly acrid alcohol-ish undertone. on me, sadly, the butterscotchness all but disappeared. if i just wafted my wrist in front of my face, i got these tantalizing teasing butterscotch whiffs, but upclose, it was all alcohol.

Grog smells incredible in the imp (must go out and buy ingredients for Slippery Nipples immediately!) but on my skin it did the same thing that Hellcat did, which was go powdery and take on a strange tangy sweetness. Roadhouse, Gluttony, and O also seem to go through this particular transformation on me, so I wonder if they share a note.

However, I layered some Grog with a bit of Anne Bonny....and hello! Anne seemed happy to have some company of the :P variety. They got on smashingly. I think I'll use up the rest of my imp in pirate-themed layering or as a room scent.

Initial Sniff: Hot buttered rum in a tiny vial. How the hell does she do that?

Wearing:This starts out as hot buttery rum, but it quickly loses some of its buttery-ness. It fades very quickly - it only lasts about an hour on me.

Final Impressions: :P If only it lasted! I'll keep the imp and have a decadent bath one of these days.

This fell solidly in the Gluttony-Jack scent family for me - deeply foody-desserty.

It smells (I almost wrote 'tastes') like some sort of rich holiday nut candy with a creamy rum-based center.

The alcohol note was so strong at first, I was afraid people at work would think I'd been drinking heavily (I put it on at about 2pm - much too early to reek of rum). Luckily the alcohol note toned down & I was left with a gorgeous, rich, sweet nuts and maple syrup scent.

Up close it had an odd, dry wood note that caught at the back of my throat - but the scent in the air around me was wonderful. Also, it was very strong - I kept getting whiffs of it for hours afterwards from one little dab with the imp tongue.

It's rum, vanille and cookies. Maybe a rum ice-cream. :D

Sweet but not cloying, fun and different, playful.

It's so eatable... and makes me wish to travel to pirate seas!

But not as strong as I had imagine for pirates' rum.

Awesome lasting power on my skin. :P

In bottle:

Very strong, overwhelmingly sweet. Definitely very rum like

On me:

This is, in my opinion, too sweet for me. It's almost sickeningly so. Once it dried, it wasn't so much a boozy smell a as a foody one. I would compare it more to rum spice cake, than to rum. There's something very warm and nutty about the smell as well.

Final note:

Not for me, I find this to be a bit too sweet, though after a few hours it smells more pleasant to me. Unfortunately though, I don't want to wait a few hours before enjoying my perfume lol. People who like really sweet foody scents, will more than likely enjoy this one though :P

Edited by Brianne