Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Grog

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

pre-testing: pirate rum? Hmm. This could be bad or good. I like my rum :D

in the bottle: Oo.. sweet! This is promising. Hellcat had rum but went all nasty icky on me. Of course that was nice in the bottle too... let’s see how this goes.

wet: still the sweet note, as if it were sugar cane dipped in rum. No other notes that I can ID. Not overly sweet (for me at least) but definitely up there on the ‘sweet’ scale. Are pirates sugar-crazy?

drying/5 minutes: Fading a bit in sweetness as well as strength. I didn’t slather this on but it’s not one of those POW in your face scents. A nice rum scent now, not boozy nor too sweet now. Quite nice!

dry/15 minutes: still about the same. Not as overly sweet and a soft rummy scent.

:P

(how do we NOT have a pirate smiley??)

Butterscotch, vanilla.. It kind of smells like a lighter version of Gluttony. Which is great, because I can't pull off gluttony because of the dark coffee notes, but this is just perfect for me.

I received this as a frimp.

I nearly put it straight into the swaps pile but decided to have a sniff, and wow.

Wet: Sweet butterscotch is right! This smells creamy, and made my mouth water. I was expecting something akin to Whiskey.

On the drydown: I do detect something a little boozy that makes my head pleasantly swim.

I almost detect a twig of mint, but I am probably imagining that!

This smells like a perfect creamy cocktail, on a beach at sunset.

I never thought I would say this but i am going to be getting a 5ml of this sweet grog!

Bottle (Imp): Ooooh booze. I like booze. I don't drink very often, but when I do, I drink things that taste like this smells. I'm not sure what liquor it smells like, but I like it.

Just On: Hmmm. Rum and peppery drinks come to mind, though I don't really smell pepper.

An hour or two later: A hint of pepper. A hint of rum. I can't believe how much this faded. I think I liked it better in the imp, but we'll see how it goes.

Around 6 hours: It's mostly gone with the faintest hint of drinking left.

12 hours: It's pretty much all the way gone, and I'm a little sad that it is.

Overall: I like this one, and I will certainly use up what I have. It's almost in the top ten, might weave in and out of it depending on other scents and so on. I don't think I'll hurry to buy this one, but if I get a chance at one for cheap, I wouldn't complain.

After reading other reviews: Well, if it had stayed as well as it did for others, I would be really happy about it, but all in all I really liked it, and will wear it out and about.

Sadly, on me, this is uncomfortably reminiscent of the burnt-sugar note I didn't like in Gluttony and Hellcat. It's not as overwhelming, but it's definitely related, and still not something I really want to wear. Off to the swap pile!

ETA: Later in the evening, I layered a little O over the remaining Grog, and that was an interesting combination! The addition of O's strong honey scent made it come out rather like mead. If you have and like both of these, I heartily recommend trying them together.

Edited by stardreamer

Oh, how I love Grog.

It starts lovely and alcohol-y and mellows to an amazing combination of buttery rum, sugar, and...wood? Smoke?

It smells like a butterscotch from the wrong side of the tracks. And that's just fine with me. :P

Grog:

Wet: Buttery rum! This is the same smell I love from Perversion. Heavy on the butter.

Drydown:.. the rum went away. I just smell like butter. :P

Longterm wear: I don't know where the rum went, but I really don't want to smell like butter. Off to the swaps pile!

grog.jpg

Dentists will hate this blend, a profound sugar buzz without the cavities!

After I had heard such stinging praise for Grog I was curious. My two forays into the butter and foody scents were 50% successful (Gluttony was not me, but Jack was). Hoping for more Jack than Gluttony I swapped for it.

I love it, by itself or for a butter boost to other blends (as Chupa Chup said above), Grog is a winner. The smell is uber butter/rum with a whiff of coconut and it is masterful. Not cloying, always fun, lasts longer than a Sugar Daddy (which really surprised me), I was smitten. This is indulgence in a bottle and has the superb balance between sweet to the max and interesting back notes. I highly recommend this one to anyone who loved Jack and wanted more of the butter and less of the cinnamon. Also to those who loved Gluttony but balked at it's stinky edge. No stinky edge here, just pure fresh toasted buttery goodness.

Yay, pirates! Yay rum! :P Grog is warm, butterscotchy rum.

In the imp I could smell the butterscotch and nice boozy undertone, but the second it went on my skin a strong coconut note appeared out of nowhere and clobbered the butterscotch into retreat. After about an hour the boozy rum scent manages to sneak back in a bit and combined with the coconut makes me think of Malibu coconut rum, as luck would have it I love Malibu. Not what I was expecting but a really moreish fragrance. I will have to get a big bottle of this. :P

It's amazing how much this smells like butterscotch rum. I usually want to drink rum, though, and not smell like it (otherwise people will think that I'm more of an alcoholic than I really am). And as Grog dries down, a weird plasticky note appears - I seem to get it with most of Beth's vanilla scents. Arrrrh, off to swaps with you!!!

Overwhelming sticky butterscotch in the imp, slightly spiced creamy rum on drydown. I recognize this on other blends (at least I think I do) like Spooky. I love the rum component so I love this! :P Not too hot on how it smells wet, but the drydown is fabulous! It's sweet but not sickly so.

Dear Captain Jack,

We had been wondering how you pulled it off--that sly, devil-may-care, slightly drunk demeaner, the quick wit, the clever tongue, the stamina to shrug off whatever misfortunes you ran into.

Well, your secret is now OURS :D Grog, ey? You'd been holding out on us!

The rich, burnt sugar explains the mania, the sparkle in the eye, the quick thinking. The buttery booze must account for everything else.

But don't you worry, Jack. Your secret is safe with us :P :D

:D

*hic*...or maybe not...

Yur beegust fan...

Josey

Grog is heavenly.

I got in a trade and my next order will definitely include a 5ml.

Smells completely boozy butterscotchy in the bottle and on me and the same again on drydown. If you're a foody scent person, then I'd definitely suggest this! I wish it lasted longer but it seems nothing has staying power in the Texas heat.

And on a side note, I spilled some on the husband and he smelled divine for 2.5 seconds, then he began to promptly smell like MULCH. :P

Grog is heaven in a bottle. Well, imp, you know what I mean. :D

It's this smooth roundness of butter immediately and then mellows out into something not exactly decadent but more luxurious, like basking in the sun. Absolutely gorgeous. NEW FAVE!! :P

Buttery, buttery first whiff! Butterscotch on a stick, I agree. Very straightforward, but I love it.

So getting a 5 mL of this one.

Wet: This is pure butterscotch. I smell like a cocktail! Must resist urge to lick arm. :D

Dry-down: The beautiful butterscotchy feel quickly morphs into a slighty rum-like sweetness. Quite a wearable booze scent for me.

Overall impressions: As previously mentioned, this is a boozy & foody scent. Even if you aren't a fan of this scent category, at least give it a try. It's in a class by itself. Grog is a BPAL "must-try". It makes me feel decadent and makes me think of mischief.

ARRR.... :P

I like rum in drinks, but Grog has that same overwhelmingly thick, buttery quality that didn't appeal to me in Jack and Gluttony. I was really hoping to ready the cannons, haul a scurvy dog up the mizzen-mast and keel-haul a mutiny-lovin' rapscallion, but just opening the imp vial made me feel that I had walked the plank into a sea of hot buttered rum. :P

Not for me, but perhaps some other piratical lass will welcome Grog into her hoarde.

I've actually avoided wearing this for the longest time as it smelled soooo boozy in the imp I was afraid someone at work would think I was drunk.

Rum rum rum in a perfume imp...rum and more rum with a liberal dash of rum.

Getting the point?

This dried down to a boozy, sweet concoction that was a little butterscotch and a lot of alcohol. Alone it was entirely too sweet for my taste but I layered it with Anne Bonnie and it was gorgeous. I still prefer Port-au-prince to it because port-au-prince is a little bit spicier but this was definitly a fun one to try.

Edited by Northernminx

Grog

Butter rum. This stuff is sweet!! It smells like…well, rum. And caramel candy. This makes me think of Christmas and sitting around a fire all tucked up in pyjamas. I can’t decide if I need a bottle of this or not. It would be too heavy for summer, but perfect for those cold Manitoba nights.

In the vial: strong rum!

Wet on my skin: mmmm rum with butter in it tasty

After it dried on my skin: eh not so hot. it's doing a weird fake vanilla thing. boo hoo I think this is the plastic smell that some people have referred to.

When I first smelled this, I was hit with a booze-y smell. I knew it was rum, but it smelled more familiar to me, with a more specific name...hey, it smells like Bailey's! Yes, it's rum-y, but it's really creamy, and I could practically smell the cream swirling about. I'm not too big on rum scents, even though they smell delicious, but the creaminess made me think that, if it became creamier, I could learn to really like Grog. Grog's a bubbly (not champagne-bubbly), cheerful scent--well, it's alcohol, so.... However, after several hours, it turns into stale foody, vanilla lotion. It's the type of foody lotion you test at Bath and Body Works, but smells brown and stale, because it's been sitting out for hours and so many people's been mucking around in it. Ah well. P'haps rum and I just don't get along. :P

Very sweet pina colada smell in the vial mixed with vanilla and butter. I like it but I think the rum brings out the sweetness to a point that it makes my stomach a bit sick.

Then it dries down with less of the other notes with rum and vanilla remaining.

i give it a 6 on a scale of 1-10.

Grog

Hot buttered rum! The only morphing this scent does on me is, sometimes there’s more butter, and sometimes there’s more rum, but it’s always hot buttered rum.

I’m thinking I should buy a few bottles of this and decant imps for the folks that work in the ale stands at the Dickens Christmas Fair (and Pickwick Comic Annual) every year. Especially those who work at Mad Sal’s (if it’s still called that), the lower class establishment, which works very hard at creating a boozy, bawdy atmosphere. When I worked the fairs we were always looking for period or atmospheric scents, and Grog seems about perfect.

For me? I have no idea when I will think it’s appropriate to wear this, but I’m going to find reasons. It makes me grin, and it’s warm, sweet-but-not-too-sweet, and boozy and fun. Actually, to bed might not be a bad idea, and I’m wondering if this wouldn’t make a really good winter body butter or massage bar.