Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Lolita

Bright, sweet and youthful, but swelling with a poisonous sexuality. Glittering heliotrope, honeysuckle, orange blossom and lemon verbena.

In the bottle - A suprisingly sharp orange blossom with a touch of lemon verbena

Wet on me - A sweeter, more honeyed floral gradually begins to become fruity

Dry on me - A sweet, slightly candied, slightly honeyed floral, with a touch of something more perfumy gradually drying down to a slightly rubbery musk

Overall - Actually I like it quite a bit, its more sophisticated than the blends I usually wear, but I doubt that's a bad thing Edited by Shollin

I didn't expect to like this so much! Lolita freshly applied surprised me. I must have mixed it up in my memory with another perfume because I expected bubblegum, but instead I got zingy, almost spicy citrus tempered with a vanillic, slightly cherry-ish tone... heliotrope?

As it settled on on my skin it was alll lemon verbena and sweet orange, with soft almost powdery blossom notes and a touch of honey... definitely orange blossom and honeysuckle in the spotlight. It all smells like golden syrup and zesty orange hard candy. It dries down to mostly orange blossom, heliotrope, and honeysuckle, in that order.

The magic is fleeting... in under an hour, it goes a bit powdery in the way that orange blossom is sometimes wont to do on me, the zesty citrus qualities are gone, and it's just a faded whiff of bland skin-close powder. It's a bummer because this really doesn't have very much lasting power on me... I wish I could trap it in the opening ten minutes and just keep it from developing further. (Well doesn't that sound creepy and appropriate for this particular scent.)

This isn't at all similar to what I usually gravitate towards wearing as a perfume, but I kind of adore this. I'm confident that once I use up my imp I'll crave more, against all logic... and the imp will be gone fast, since this is a "reapply! reapply!" sort of deal. Bad news. Another issue besides lasting powder is that it's pretty sweet, and anything sweet with a fruity bent my boyfriend reads as "juicy fruit hyperglycemia". Can you tell I'm trying desperately to convince myself that I should just move on? :lol: Maybe I'll try it in a locket.

This, fresh on skin, is a bit like Phobos. It has a sweet lemon going on that's bright and cheery. But later, basenotes I'm not familiar with pop out and turn it into... smarties. It smells like American Smarties candies. Even with the slight powder they have. And a touch of something warmer, more honey-like sweet.

It's very interesting, and not unpleasant. It's just a tad too... lol young for me. I think my sister may adore this scent, as she actually dresses in Lolita fashion on occasion, and would probably enjoy combining those two worlds and meanings of lolita in this perfect scent for it.

Had lovely throw, and lasted relatively long. Once the top notes pass on the scent isn't quite as fun, but the warmer "smarties" sweetness still lasts a while afterward.

Imp: Sweetness!

Skin: Sweetness and tartness.

After half an hour, it has settled down so that it doesn't smell too young, too playful. Maybe not an office perfume, but lovely.

In the imp, I get a citrusy floral with a vague scent of wood polish, which makes me worry about the play of the lemon and the orange. On my skin, I'm getting what I'm pretty sure is the honeysuckle and orange playing off of each other, which creates this interestingly tart floral. I'm thinking this one will be a bottle as well, especially with the interesting ways the orange and honeysuckle play on my skin.

Edited by Venneh

At first, lemon sours - specifically those candies (from Brach's, I think) with the coase coating of sugar. I'm meh about this stage.

Upon drydown, the heliotrope comes to the fore, and this develops a nasty undertone.

Far drydown - straight up Playdoh.

Oh, well, it's just as well - pretty hard for a 57-year-old to pull off a scent called Lolita!

Lolita is a perfume that I have to be in the mood to wear. When I'm not, it gives me a killer headache and I have to try washing it off. On those days, it's sickly sweet, dripping with heliotrope and lemon.

On the days I'm in the mood for it though... well, it has the wondrous ability to make me feel exactly like it's name. :) It's a heady, sweet, but deceptively sexy scent that's still primarily heliotrope and lemon, but in the best kind of way possible. It's perfect for those days when I feel like I want to put my hair in pigtails... but then think better of it, haha!!

In the vial - very strong lemon scent

First application - strong Lemon Pledge scent to me

Dry down - at first it was very lemon grass smelling and then dryed down to a sweet bubblegum scent

Overall - as I got over the heave citrus scent, the sweeter notes filled up and made the scent quite lovely. I smelled my wrist almost all day long with this one, and it stayed on pretty much all day.

Lemon, lemon, lemon indeed. Not a fresh squeezed lemon. More of a dark lemon scent. Heliotrope definitely can be noted. Sugary but not sickeningly so. Good throw without being over-bearing.

This was a very personal one for me, as Nabokov's 'Lolita' is one of my favourite books of all time. I'm not ashamed to admit that I ordered the scent because of the name. I trusted that it would be perfect and... it is.

In the bottle Lolita smells to me like mouthwatering orange candies, like Nerds or Millions. It's juicy and makes me want to pop down to the Newsagent near my apartment and buy bags and bags of sweets to nom on. Applied, the orange is predominant for a while until it settles down and reveals a whole new and unexpected layer of scent. It makes me think of a young teenage girl putting on her Mother's perfume, creating a bizarre mix of youthful exuberance and adult sensuality. The florals are heady and mature, a very sophisticated blend indeed in my opinion.

On my wrist, I keep smelling and re-smelling. My mouth is watering and I know already that if I was to smell this on somebody else, I would be wanting to nuzzle up to them. It's intriguing, vibrant, fruity, glittering almost with differing facets of femininity. Absolutely beautiful and a keeper for sure. I know I will use up this bottle very quickly and I wish I had bought one as back-up! Highly recommended.

In the imp: Lemondrops and organgeblossom, sharp, spicy and sweet. Glittering and youthful.

Drying on my skin: After 10 minutes it morphed into old lady's flower perfume... *shock*

Throw and staying power: Medium throw, about 6 hours

Colour impression: Bright yellowish orange

Verdict: I love the novel "Lolita" and I really wanted to love the scent. The wetstage was very pleasant but my skinchemistry turned it into an cloying flowery old lady's perfume...

That's more than weird... *sigh*

:huh?:

Edited by MissVulpecula

While I love lemon verbena, the lemon verbena in this scent has overpowered everything else and all I can smell is sweet lemony candy. No florals at all. This is one for the swap pile.

ETA: It took a little while, but I finally figured out the candy smell. I smell like Pez.

Edited by countessmouse

ow, sharp lemon verbena elbows everyone else aside and takes over. This smells like a lemon cleaner to me. I never really get anything else.

imp: heliotrope with a bitter citrus scent, likely the orange blossom.

wet: very bright and strong lemon verbena with the heliotrope and orange blossom in the back.

dry: this dries to a dusty, pretty heliotrope. very similar to sol invictus.

Glittering: correct! This goes on lotus sweet at the beginning with orange blossom and lemon verbena running the show. As it settles I can detect more heliotrope and honeysuckle. Simple, straight-forward, sweet, sparkly. Nice blend I can see wearing on a regular basis during the warmer months.

I have struggled w/ this little lady for a while now. I want to love her, I ALMOST love her, I decide to keep her, but I don't end up reaching for her, then I feel like I should test her again. I test her, I decide, nope, not for me, need to pass her along... but then I end up keeping her for another few months, then test her... ETC AD NAUSEUM.

The reason for this is undoubtedly the orange blossom, a very nasty little note with whom I have a complicated relationship. On the one hand, I can't stand it, can't do it, I don't have many death notes but good lord does orange blossom sting my nose. Feh, bitter, yucky. On the other hand, it was a pretty striking revelation to figure out just what note was associated w/ that nastiness. It smells like this old German perfume my Omi had that was in this bizarrely ornate, baroque style bottle that smelled so ancient and bitter - but she loved it (mostly for the bottle though, she didn't wear it that I can recall)! Due to the nostalgia factor, even though I kind of hate it, I sort of love wrinkling my nose to it now and again.

All that said, after the wet stage, the orange blossom steps back and the really yummy stuff that I love comes to the fore... fruity (I agree w/ the strawberry assessment, though in my mind this is cherry bubbleyum pinky red) floral candy sweetness. Unfortunately it just doesn't have the throw and clarity I would need it to have to make up for that initial nasty orange blossom chomp. I think I've finally decided to go ahead and part with her... but who knows how I'll be feeling tomorrow!

Sniff: bright and tangy, a fall of sweet floral, not much lemon (but my nose is bad at picking out lemon - I'm sure it's there, I just can't find it)

Wet: definitely lots of floral going on. Still very bright, makes me want to bat my eyelashes at someone

Dry: the brightness fades and now there’s just powdery soap. Very sad, I really love the wet phase. But this turns into a bad kind of soap on my skin, like stale laundry detergent.

:::LOLITA:::

It is certain that Lolita is in honor of Nabakov's literary sensation... Admittedly, thoughts here return to early high school years when there was some seriously obsessive fantasy crushing going on for Amy Fisher in the Buttafuoco case scandalizing the news at the time...

*sheepish*

Both Neroli and Honeysuckle are absolutely amazing in the Lab's formulas.

Though this is certainly a fragrance that will be designed specifically for Her, it's exciting to experience Lolita all the same.

From the Imp: Mmmm! The Lemon Verbena and the Honeysuckle are at the forefront of Lolita in all Her glory...

At this phase, Lolita is remniscent of Phantasm and seems as though it would be an ideal feminine counterpart to either Villain or Whitechapel... Splendid!

Something in this is decidedly wooden, too in the way of absurdly expensive furniture.

Naughtiness and danger is plentful!

Lolita is a leggy, 17 year old brunette with painted toenails in frilly unmentionables doing troubling, slow, squirmy things whilst spawled on a Chesterfield sofa.

She's enjoying the heck out of a glistening lemon lolly while somehow managing to maintaining utterly flawless frosted lip-gloss..

*shudder and twitch*

Deeper snufflings only invites the citrusy notes to wrap round the bean like a glittering, golden wreath... A halo of the damned.

On the Skin: Huh. No real morph going on here.

If anything the Neroli, Heliotrope, and Honeysuckle blend into a seamlessly gossamer backdrop for the Lemon Verbena.

Lolita becomes breezy and fluttery.

This is bare shoulders, hair that is long, dark, and still wet from ablutions, and that same long leg; toe pointed while a cream coloured stocking is pulled taut, up and over the thigh... Gorgeous!

Lolita has certainly been designed with His ultimate undoing in mind.

Lolita is growly, prowly, hot and haughty... And naughty!

While the Lemony aspect of Lolita would work well in masculine formulas, Lolita is way too foxy for Him.

Lolita is the pinnacle of breathless desire for all thngs about Her.

Grandiloquence and hypnotic sway.

Spectrally, Lolita is Sunshine, Lemon peel, golden tinsel, blush, ivory, and spring water.

Lolita would be rad accompanied by Sarah McLachlan's, "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" album...Especially the song, "Wait".

As this dries down (approximately 25 minutes later) one could swear there is the faintest smear of Honey in Lolita too... Making this all the more wicked, rich, and indulgent.

Highest marks for Lolita!

5 out of 5.

On me Lolita is seriously strawberry pez (matching what Stariel says), but thickly overlaid with lemon verbena. As I always thought of lemon verbena as a rather morally upright, gentle smell (I guess from Gone with the Wind - Scarlett's mother smells of it), this doesn't exactly match the "poisonous sexuality" part of the description. Overall, the strawberry pez and lemon verbena is a strange but not displeasing combination - youthful and pretty and sweet and fresh. I like it but for some reason I can't see myself reaching for it a lot, so an imp is all I need for the moment.

Whooooooa lemon verbena. That's basically all I get from this because I amp the stuff like crazy. There is a hint of something fruity/floral somewhere but it's just so overpowered by the damn verbena there's no hope. Ah well, there's always Jailbait.

Edited by Invidiana

I don't get any sweetness from this until maybe at the very end when everything else has almost entirely disappeared. I don't smell what everyone else smelled at all... I don't smell any sweetness or fruitiness or anything else that's been described in that family here.

In the imp: SHARP, with a hefty does of heliotrope and a teensy tiny trickle of the lemon verbena.

Wet: Well there's a bit more lemon, but this is basically all floral on me. My skin amps heliotrope I guess.

Dry: It softens into a scent that's easier to handle. The elements all blend a bit better I suppose. Still heliotrope dominant.

After an hour it's only a shadow of scent on my skin. The lemon with a hint of sweetness is the last to disappear.

I'm going to try this one out at a different time of the month. I've found a few scents I know well smell differently right now.

Maybe Lolita is one of those scents that require aging? Hmmm. Will try again at a later time. Today's testing is disappointing.

In the bottle: Cheap shampoo.

Wet on skin: Softens a little, the honeysuckle is emerging.

Drying: The lemon verbena is arriving full strength.

Drydown: The orange blossom is desperately trying to hold its own but is beaten down by the cheap shampoo note. The heliotrope never appeared. The scent is softer now, a bit soapy, a bit plasticky... Not great.

Will test again in a few weeks.