Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cam

Lil' Menes' Feline Entertainments

A delightful selection of Ultharian cat toys and offerings, guaranteed to propitiate even the orneriest kitty!

I LOVE this scent.

I think it's got a bit of civet in it ( :heart:) and musk. There's a bit of something green (catnip?) when it's fresh, but that mostly disappears on me on the drydown.

Overall, it's soft and sexy.

Almost, this one was almost great. It starts out smelling like an herbal black musk, but dries down to something more in the red musk category. Red musk can go two ways on me and this is the bad way. It's way cloying. It's the same red musk note that ruins Fenris Wolf and Great Sword of War on me. The herbal component is still there, but it's overshadowed by the cloying musk.

Just got my decant. :D

Imp:

Musky, Herbal; a little reminiscent of snake oil with citrus. It’s dark and slinky.

Wet:

Woody, musky; possibly catmint(as opposed to catnip; catmint has always smelled more musky and herbal to my nose), and generally herbal. It’s really good, and very intriguing. Can’t stop sniffing my wrist.

Dry: creamy, musky catmint; ooey gooey and delicious.

Verdict: I want a bottle, and can see wearing this a lot during the winter months.

When I first tested Lil' Menes' Feline Entertainments, the bottle was fresh off the mail truck. I knew that it probably would need time, but I was just so curious about how it would smell that I couldn't wait. There was something sharp and almost meaty smelling on that first skin test, which I guess might have been civet - I'm unfamiliar with that note. Whatever that one note is, it became so strong on the dry-down that I almost couldn't stand it. Now that Lil' Menes' has been sitting in my BPAL box for about four or five days, it's much nicer on my skin and fortunately I don't smell that meaty note. I mention this in case there's anyone out there reading these reviews, wondering if there might be something wrong with their nose because they had a similar "meaty" experience with this scent.

Something in here reminds me of black musk, because I don't get any sweetness from this like I do from red musk. I could see there being white musk in it too, because there's something high-pitched in there. There's an herbal, woodsy quality blending well with the musk and I'm getting no hints of whatever that meaty smell was a few days ago. It's good, but it would be better if I were getting the slinky Snake Oil with citrus or sweet red musk experiences mentioned in the reviews before mine.

Three out of four cats in the house were interested in this scent when I put my wrist near them, enough so that my husband got out some real catnip for them. :D

Occasionally it will waft up from my wrists when I least expect it, like when I was changing shirts or when I was making breakfast. I'll keep my bottle, but I may try and decant some of it for a couple of my friends who are also owned by cats.

ETA (July 22, 2013): The scent still isn't sweet, but it's now so soft and comforting that I think it will be one of my regular sleep scents. I think I'll keep all of it, after all.

Edited by boomtownrat

Finally my decants made it through the madness of christmas mail and I tried this one right after the package arrived. So it may be different tomorrow. But today I LOVE this. It is a very thick oil that lies on my skin in a dark yellow layer before I rub my wrists against each other. I have no idea what is in it (perhaps because I still have a cold). It reminds me of Vixen, but I like it better. Which is a horrible thought, Vixen has been high in my top-ten since I discovered BPAL. I held my wrist in front of the nose of the cat whose name I use here and she was very interested. I think indeed cats do like this, because with most scents she shies away when they are fresh on my wrist.

I think I'll need a bottle of this. I hope I'll have the money to get one.

Edited by Zorra

ITI: Oh yeah, there is civet in there, paired with musk, catnip and something that smells like lemongrass...and perhaps some myrrh.

Wet: Strong musky civet with catnip, citrus, myrrh, and something a little sweeter, like amber or honey, underneath it all.

Dry: Catnip, a touch of something close to camphor, musk, something that's creamy, , and myrrh. I'm debating getting more of this.

Somehow it reminds me of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, but there's no cocoa and this has a herbal edge to it. Catmint? Lemongrass? I don't know, but I don't think it's catnip. There maaay be civit, but if so it's well-behaved. I think I'm getting the red musk from Witches' Dance somewhere here too.

Nice dark, sweet musk, but may be too one-dimensional for me. (Yes, there are many notes, but they all have the same smooth muskiness if that makes any sense?) Also, I think this could turn to soap on someone with the right chemistry.

It is sweet and pleasant though.

Civet, red musk and something herbal up front ... goes VERY sweet on me, not quite foody sweet but the way red musk can sometimes sweeten up. The herbal aspect does down quickly. FYI I also got a slight allergic reaction to this on my skin so watch out if you are prone to that! Anyway, very interesting scent, I think I could do with a partial bottle.

At first, this kind of smells like extra musk and Wilf. I like Wilf, so this is a good thing. After a bit, less Wilf-like, kind of spicy, a bit of a 'kick' to it actually, like there's a touch of pepper and a sweetness, akin to Tonka or vanilla. Every so often, I get a bit of 'funk', but it is so seldom, it doesn't bother me. I really like this, it's a more spicy Wilf, musky, vanilla, cozy and comforting. I may just spring for a bottle, or at least a decant.

I expected there to be catnip or some sort of mint, but my nose isn't detecting any. On me, it smells sweet,

musky (black musk? ETA: no, it's red musk), and woody with some sort of herb I'm unfamiliar with. It goes

straight to powder. I expect it shares notes with Snake Oil and Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, which do the same.

My cat sniffed my wrist, then licked it. She has never licked me before. Interesting...

Edited by PumpkinGuts

Oooh, the perfect evil kitty tamer. (Please see my Yule cat review.)

This smells like a happier Yule Cat - its got that cedar/civet musk going on, but it's gentler and nicer this time around. Hints of citrus.

So, this is the feral kitty that peed on your couch. Except THIS YEAR, he/she/it (because does evil have a gender?) it decided that it's going to be NICE to you, instead of scaring the living daylights out of you.... because it's an even bigger mind f*ck.

So, yes, this is the smell of evil kitties being nice. Except you know that the nice won't last. But you can't help yourself. The kitty smells nice, and is being nice, and you know it's feral and will probably chew your hand off, but you pet it anyway.

.... Evil, sneaky bastard.

Sure, BPAL isn't for cats.

And my cat Pudding reminds me when she squinches her face to whatever perfume I wear.

But Jelly has different thoughts. She has a sniff of any perfume I may be wearing with curiousity.

Therefore, when this one came out, I had to try it (for Jelly's sake).

To me: Musky, slightly herby, kinda manly, not digging it really (but I am a candy sweet kinda person, so no surprise).

To Jelly: She sniffed and went to bed. If there is catnip, then she isn't sold (and she is a nip-fiend).

I suppose its a bit silly to be disappointed. And her lack of excitement meant I didn't become the one armed cat owner.

Yet I think I may stick to perfumes of jam and tea from here on in.

ITI: Beautiful dark golden yellow oil. The first whiff is powerful, yet warm & comforting. Like stepping into the metaphysical shop in Yellow Springs to buy stones and get my cards read. Ahhh… I've come home.

On Skin: Wet, it's the same delightful imp-scent, magnified. It's at once cool & fresh, warm & cuddly. As it dries, a playfulness starts to emerge. Like pink BubbleYum. I still get the sacred woods, essential oils, and pulsing stones of the Wicca shop, but now I can sense unseen fairies and sprites flitting around, winking at me.

Dry, it reminds of me Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea, only the mint isn't as strong. I think the coolness is coming from spearmint and catnip, and the soft, floral warmth from chamomile. That would also explain the gorgeous golden color. A wonderful,mood-lifting scent, inducing happiness and calm. Just like a cat!

ETA: Fade, fade, why must the good ones always fade??? Sigh...

Edited by zeldaZ4

I musr have some sort of freaky skin chemistry, because my impressions of this are quite different to the previous reviews!

At first, this smells like Johnson's Baby Shampoo, with herbs and almonds. If it had a colour, it would be gold (the oil actually is a golden yellow colour, but that's not what I mean). Actually... I know exactly what this smells like - California Poppy Hair Oil!! Does anyone even remember that?

Anyway, it starts off all shampoo smelling but then the herbs come out and it develops a definite green/leafy tone. I get the civet that others have mentioned - there's a slight smokiness here too, which could be some vetiver or maybe a musk of some sort. It ends up smelling kind of poopy. It's interesting and all, but... I don't really like it, and neither do my cats.

If this was a painting I would call it: Crazy cat lady using baby powder avec incontinent kitty.

It starts out rather innocent with cute powdery musk. Could be black musk or maybe civet but I have to idea what civet smells like. On dry down there's a hint of feline incontinence that just refuses to go away. It stays like that on my skin; fluffy cyoot kitten who has just done something nasty on your carpet.

For the true connoisseur I'd say it smells more like cat pee than poo but who am I to blow against the wind.

I would have liked it if it weren't for the pee. :ack:

edit: spelling

Edited by Monday

First on, this smells like powdery black musk and a slightly sour amber to me with a dark, deep, resinous undertone. The resinous feel gets stronger in the drydown. It winds up smelling like dry, dark, powdery incense and pen ink on my skin (which works for me). I like it now (in the drydown, at least), but I think that this will get even better with age.

I was so excited about this one because, I too, am a cat owner/lover. Wet- I detect a slight musk, but something much greener takes over the scent. On my skin and in drydown it turns into a very powdery herbal musk, then fades quickly.

I so wanted to love this one, I even waited a month to try it again, but the scent didn't 'woo' me as much the cute label did...

This has the strangest yellow color on my skin. On me, there isn't much green - mostly, it's a sweet, sexy musk. This was a decant I tossed in at the last minute and it might be my favorite Yule.

In the bottle: Very herbal, some myrrh, a touch of vetiver.

Wet: Much stronger on the skin. There might be catnip or catmint in those herbs.

The dry-down: A slow mellowing of the scent on the skin. This indeed reminds me a bit of Yule Cat, as if it was a milder, gentler cousin.

OMG this is so, so awesome. Has a similar style on me to Tombeur and Crowley minus the leather. Slightly herbal and very, very sexy. LOVE. :wub2: Little goes a looonnng way though - and the kitteh didn't like it.

This starts off green and thick, a jungle musk. I'm reminded of plant overgrowth, herbs and vines and mossy branches tangled in dirt. Then as it dries, an odd orange smell emerges and this goes from jungle musk into citrus jungle musk. It's kind of weird - not entirely unpleasant, but something I'm not likely to wear.

i had no idea what to expect from this; i just bought it because i am a cat lady. :lol:

the musk in this is gorgeously smooth; i love it. i think it is definitely a black musk with maybe a tinge of something else (red?). there's an incensey thing going on that reminds me a little of nag champa but better. a bit of green woody minty-ness like catnip or some other kitty-friendly herb and mmm it's so delicious!

(i tried to get my cat to smell it and he actually recoiled in horror, so sadly lil' menus did not entertain my feline, but i love it!)

This starts out cologny to the max...thank goodness it dries down to a golden red musky scent. I'm still not sure if I will wear this...seems it needs to be layered with something but I don't know what. I'm sure it will age nicely and maybe will round itself out with time.

ETA: reminds me of the base layer of Hygeia and Virginia...

Edited by Herb Girl

Soft, dark musk with spikes of catnip greenery. Aging has definitely mellowed Lil Menes for the better.