Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto"><i>A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.<!-- bpal scent end --></i></div>

Very dry and herbal initially, not the creamy breath of white floral I was hoping for. Lavender, lavender, lavender. Wah. Reminds me of YSL Paris, a bit. For a whisper of a floral, I'm going with Ouija.

Edited by lookingglass

I adore this scent!

Lovely lilacs and gardenia.

Floral but not heady floral. Definitely a white floral.

I have a big bottle of this one!

:P

In the imp: Lavender. (Damnit. Why does lavender always have to dominate my nose?)

Wet: Dry sandalwood, a little lilac with a jumble of other florals behind it, and ylang ylang sweetening it up... and that dreaded, sleepy lavender in the background.

Drydown: Lavender dominating. Oh, like I didn't know where this was going. *sigh* My chemistry always, always, always boosts up the lavender and then it drowns everything else in the blend out.

Verdict: Not my cup o' tea.

1/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrve

In the bottle: A very acidic scent, probably lavender and orris.

Wet: A green floral, orris and lavender come out quite strong, and a tiny touch of ylang-ylang.

Drydown: It goes bad. I think the orris hates me, or another flower in there. And eep, something in there is giving me a headache, it's a first in BPAL - could be the lavender or the gardenia. There's a very soft veil of lilac and violet over the piercing other flowers.

Overall: Ow. It's an aggressive scent, and it doesn't work well with me. The orris turns to plasticky greennery and something is hurting my sinuses. The remaining lilac and violet are too soft and gentle for me, and the orris smells like gastric acid on me.

I really liked the opening notes of Veil and I was hopeful that they would stick around. It was gentle and calming with a lovely bit of Gardenia and Lilac. Then the Violet came out and all the other notes left. I like the smell of violets in the garden but not on me, unfortunately. It tends to cling to me like no other flower scent.

dang and double dang.

There is a whole family of scents that I am completely unable to enjoy, and Veil is no distant cousin to that clan. My skin's insistence on simplifying anything white floral to shrill soapy blasts is the reason for the first dang.

The second dang is because when I faced with a floral scent such as this one, I can't write an interesting review.

Veil is just one big resounding NO.

I will continue to try the gardenias, the jasmines, the honeysuckles, the lilacs. They were good to me once, long ago.

Veil is one of the most classic floral BPAL scents I’ve tried. It’s soft and sweet, and the florals are inextricably blended so that none of the individual notes is distinguishable, but they all work together to create an absolutely gorgeous fragrance. The scent initially appears very subtle to me, but as I wear it, it leaves a light veil of flowery fragrance around me throughout the day. It’s soft and pretty, incredibly feminine, and I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying this scent. It’s slightly powdery, but not in an unpleasant way at all. It just adds to the feminine touch that Veil carries with it. It’s a scent that’s perfect for just about any occasion from a day on the job to a walk through the park to a nice evening out with my husband. I will not be passing off my imp and will probably purchase more sometime down the road.

Bottle: a panopoly of florals at the height of their nectar

Wet: whew - the sweetness of the orris and ylang ylang are already taking off, but I can still identify the lavender and violet.

Dry: the orris and ylang ylang aren't, thank gods, yet amping. Lavender strong, the violet note is still identifiable and I'm more easily able to pick out the lilac, though the sandalwood and gardenia are missing.

Later: mmm...ammmpage. *sigh* the orris continues it's pattern of Does Not Play Well With Others. Big Bummer.

in imp: Gardenia and herbs; the John Foxx song A Blurred Girl popped into my head.

On,wet: Pure gardenia!

On, dry: a rose-like scent appears; is it the sandalwood plus violet? A gentle, feminine scent. Fades quickly.

This is an amazing spring green scent. There is a floral scent to this but the spring green is really what shines for me. Simply beautiful!

Very sharp in the bottle although settles a bit on the wrist. I didnt care for this one. I think my skin doesn't like sandalwood. It remained sharp and metalic on me.

Wet: Soft ylang ylang, with sharp lavender and soothing lilac.

Dry: Overpowering ylang ylang and violet powder.

Wow, my skin just does not like this scent!

Edited by Babylon

Well, Officer, I was minding my own business, sorting through some perfume samples I'd just got in the mail, and I noticed a freebie in there. It said 'Veil' on the label. And I...I don't know what I was thinking, Officer, I mean, it seemed harmless enough, and so I...I opened it up and dabbed a little on, and...and...

Thank you. [accepts Kleenex, blows nose] No, no, I'm okay now. Thanks.

[deep breath]

Okay, where was I? Oh. Yeah. So I opened the imp and I dabbed a little on my wrist...and...all of a sudden they just...it was a bunch of them, they just jumped out of nowhere and started attacking me! And they--[sob]--they--they made me smell so...so girly! Oh, god... [sob]

What? No, no, I didn't recognize any of them. I don't know their names. There were so many of them, and they all came at me at once! But they were all flowers, all of them, I...I know that. I managed to get up and run to the bathroom, but they followed me in there, and I grabbed the soap and I scrubbed and I scrubbed, and they finally went away...

What's that? Oh. Well, I don't know if I'd recognize them from pictures, but if you think it'll help you catch those bastards... Sure. Sure, I'll look at some mugshots. [blows nose, opens Burpee catalog]

In bottle: Lavender and violet

On skin, wet: Gardenia, lavender and violet

On skin, dry: Violet and powder

Conclusion: Violet.

Rating: 0/5 (I don't like violet.)

in the imp:

Very floral, slightly sweet.

wet:

Oh, pretty! It's a white, clean floral with a bit of tingly brightness. If I had to give it a color, I'd say light purple. I definitely smell violet and lilac, but the other notes are in the background at this point.

dry:

The white sandalwood is taking over now, which gives it a dry and almost musty feel. Also, one or more of the florals is going to powder on me. It smells a bit like a grandmother's room would smell - purple-y floral perfume with the musty scent of old photographs and clothing.

overall:

At first, this was brighter and a little happier than I was expecting, but it fades to a mustier and softer floral. Honestly, I prefer the wet stage, when it's still very bright and pretty. It becomes very reserved and dignified after it dries.

All I get from this is sharp floral, which in itself isn't a bad thing. However something in it just isn't agreeing with me, and it's reminscent of Ultraviolet so I'm assuming it's violet that I don't like. It does start to turn powdery as it dries on my skin. Just not for me, but that's okay, I think my mom might like it.

All I get from this is a headache-inducing, perfumey floral. Most florals don't work for me, though, so don't let my review deter you if you're a floral lover! Off to swaps with this one.

I guess I'm not a "soft" scent gal. This is nice; the notes blend well, and it's aesthetically pleasing; but I prefer something with more body to it.

I think I must just hate gardenia --- or at least hate gardenia on me. This one smelled good in the bottle (maybe more sandalwood and lilac?), but on me it is very strong and kind of nasty and headache-inducing. Maybe it will smell better on someone else.

Definitely a quiet scent. The flowers are more predominant than the sandalwood. The lilac and the lavender are what are standing out the most. Very clean, almost like a shower gel.

Score: 3 out of 5

The gardenia is the most forward scent on me in this one, but not in an over powering way. Being as I love gardenia, this one is definitely one I'll be keeping around in imp form, if not bottle. Very lovely.

I just received my bottle from the Lab today (about an hour nad a half ago actually). A 5 ml bottle of Veil was ordered untested. I'm a huge lilac fan (as a little girl I used to try to make my own lilac perfume... it never worked).

So far- I'm absolutely in love with this scent! It's light and airy to me- and my nose really isn't all that sensitive to varying notes and so on. It's floral- but thus far not headache inducing for me (a concern of mine as I pretty much get daily headaches).

Wet- it starts off with a single fairly strong note- I think that's the gardenia

Drydown- it softly mellows and the lilac and lavender come out to play.

My only worry is that is seems to be fading- I'm hoping my skin doesn't just eat it all!

5/5 :P

Veil-

In Bottle: Sweet and pretty, a little woody but mostly pretty florals.

Wet: I definitely smell the violet; there's a little hint of...mint?...there, or something that likes to disguise itself as near-mint.

Dry: I think this is violet and lilac but it never got really interesting for me. That's a pity, because I do love both of those scents but they kind of...ground to a halt rather than heightening into their scents.

Overall: Not for me.

In the bottle: A pleasant light floral, definatly can pick out the lavendar in there!

Wet: Oddly enough i kindof get a pine dishsoap feel from it.

Drydown: Ohhh, once it dries it's lovely! A good light floral (i really don't like over powering scents...) With a lot of the lavendar and maybe... yes. Lots of the violet on me. For my second

Overall: Much love for it once it's dry. Thankfully, if i spread it out on the skin it does so quickly so the dishsoap thing is very fleeting. ^.^

This is indeed a very gorgeous blend! At first on my skin I smell a LOT of lavendar, but after it dries the violet and lilac seem to dominate more. The sandalwood is merely a whisper in the background, which is a bit sad because I was hoping to smell more of it. There are other flowers, I am sure, but it is hard for me to detect them individually.

The description of this scent really fits it to a T, in my opinion. very secretive, soft, whispered. Although this scent is not one I'd wear as a perfume, I highly recommend it to people who like soft florals.