Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

This one winds up being too soft on me as well, and very floral and sandalwood/powdery. I like it, but it isn't something I'd wear.

It is predictably floral. Pleasant. The violet is strongest on first application, the other notes blending under it. It is a young scent and would be sweet on a teenaged girl, being pleasant and gentle without being too knowing on one end or too Lolita on the other. Not me, obviously, but it is a freebie.

A very soothing, calming blend – because of the dominance of the lavender, ylang ylang and the violet. This could almost be a(n ex-)Voodoo, Somnium or TAL blend it’s so peace-inducing. I’d prefer it it I got some of the white sandalwood and gardenia or if they came out to play. Come to think of it, from far away it smells of those florals mentioned but when I sniff my wrist up close all I get is pure lavender. Nice to try but not sure if I’ll end up keeping the imp.

This is a white and virginal, innocent sort of smell. Conjures images of being wrapped in white halos of light, sun streaming through stained glass windows. For me, this is a very naughty scent in its own right. Smells like nice, good girls that go to church, dress demurely, cross their legs, act polite, and mind their elders as well as common etiquette. A very pretty fragrance, but one that those of us who do not fit the above description and may harbor darker, edgier tendencies may find twisted in its own special way :)! Of course there are those instances when one must present oneself as neatly put together, well organized, and respectably inclined, and this is the ideal fragrance for putting forth such a antiseptic image on those occasions. There's nothing at all dark or edgy in this bottle, in other words, it's totally corrupt - or maybe that's just me! :D :P

:D

Initial Impression: sandalwood and orris. A dry, woody smell.

On Wet: lavender, orris, violet

On Dry: lavender

Final impression: lavender ate it and then it went poof.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 2

ooohhh this is really pretty on me!

It starts out all violet, which makes me all smiley.

Then, it dries down and the sandalwood comes out a little, backing up the lavender, gardenia, and ylang-ylang.

Soooo glad that Veil is one of those scents that stays true to its description with my chemistry, because I'm a fan of all of the notes!

I think this is going to be my scent of the day today :P

Giving it 4.3 out of 5

In the imp: Very perfum-y and nose-tickling. A very sharp but unspecific floral smell, almost synthetic-floral. Um. I was hoping to like this?

Wet: Ah, there's still hope. This scent is so soft! And not soft as in powdery, although I pick up a few notes that I can see might remind someone of baby powder. (I think it might be jasmine. Is there jasmine in this one? If there is, that's the dominant note right now.) Anyway, this is soft like summer night air. I think someone reviewed it as a very comforting scent and I can see why; this is not the scent of a place that has any shadowy unfamiliar spots, only wide summer sky and openness.

Drydown: Ends up being a very close-to-the-skin, soft scent. It's nice. It smells mostly of lilacs after the drydown, though, which is not what I'm looking for.

Edited: Two days after my initial try-on, Veil dries down to almost straight jasmine, not lilac. I don't know if I called it wrong the first time or if it's morphed on me, but there ya go.

Edited by odalisque

In the imp, this is very very strong smelling. Overpowering floral. I dabbed just a bit on, and now I feel like I am driving my coworkers out of the room. Strong lilac and violet, with a light gardenia. I’ve got it! This scent makes me think of Virginia in the springtime with lots of flowering trees. Must be the gardenia. This is what I imagine Faith (sugared violet) to smell like. All in all, a very sweet strong perfume, but I think it is too little girly for me. Would be good as a room fragrance, car freshener, something like that.

This is a floral, but a dusty, grody floral that makes me think of crumbling stone walls. Ugh, won't miss this one.

Hmm, a few minutes drying time helps with the dust impression, but it's still not that great overall. Maybe as a room scent.

In Imp: OMG Flowers. Like that.

Wet: Floral, but with bits of sandalwood and lavender which make this scent rather green.

Initial Drydown: Floral sandalwood. This is really nice. I keep hoping the ylang ylang peeks out more though.

Dry: Powdery Floral, with something that smells almost buttery. Not so great on me.

Throw: Really strong.

Overall: Not my thing because of the powdery smell. I'd like it more if it continued smelling like it does for the first five minutes before it goes into powder butter phase.

In the imp: very floral. I can smell all of the listed notes except the sandalwood, which i'm just not picking up on.

Wet on me: it seems like i amp ylang ylang. That's not a bad thing, mind you; however, i lost a lot of the other floral notes as the ylang ylang took over. What does stand out is the lavender, which i didn't think was that bold in the imp. Still can't smell the sandalwood.

Dry on me: the ylang ylang mellows out a bit, but it's still the top note. The lavender is a very solid presence just a layer under the ylang ylang. The lilac has crept back in just a tiny bit and is a nice sort of peripheral scent. Extremely nice combination. Still no sandalwood, but i'm happy all the same.

Throw and duration: not a huge throw on this. I'd put it at a little below average for BPAL scents on me. To my dismay, its duration is much shorter than other scents i've tried; however, it still lasts for a good 4 hours or so, so i can't really complain.

Overall: Veil seems very clean to me, and a bit aquatic. It doesn't seem particularly "floral" when dry, but that may be because of my mad ylang ylang action. It's a refreshing scent, and sort of uplifting for me.

Initially, i bought an imp of it because i'd just gotten engaged and was like, oh, marriage, veils... Veil! And indeed, i did end up wearing it when i got married. It's a more subtle scent, and i wasn't sure i liked it the first time i tried it, but i really love it now and may buy a big bottle when the imp runs dry.

This is a stunningly pretty blend. Really. It is floral.. but.. it is an interesting floral. I usually don't do ylang ylang or sandalwood.. at all but this is.. just.. so good. I think BPAL is converting me to lavender slowly bu surely! This is a blend to wear when you want to feel..pretty, calm.. together. It is early and I am lacking for a better way of conveying just how lovely this scent it. It is unusual and feminine and.. sigh.. I could huff this one all day!

In Vial: Strong floral

Wet: Even stronger. The violet and lavender are most prominent.

Drydown: The sandlewood is coming into play, the florals are still lively. I would not call this a quiet scent, it is a very strong floral. .

Sandalwood and Ylang ylang come out in a strong way, the scent is soft and sweet but at least for me not particularly floral. That may be because of the Ylang, it likes to take over on me. The lavender is not prominent.

It is pretty but not for me. Although it contains some of my favourite florals, violet, orris and lilac. But it is too soft and whispy and sweet. Suits the concept though.

i liked this scent at first and i normally can't wear too many floral scents. after a few hours i just started sneezing and couldn't stop. that's too bad as i really liked this scent, it however doesn't like me or my allergies.

In the bottle: lavender

On: lavender with a hint of violet. The scent is a bit sharp, hopefully it will calm down after a while...

Later: The sharpness does go away, but now it just smells like soap to me. Nice lavender soap, but still soap.

Expectations: Sounds a little more complicated than I tend to like, but assuming none of the notes react bizarrely with my skin it should be pretty.

In vial: A whole lot of gardenia, with a touch of everything else blended together in the background.

On skin, wet: Still strongly gardenia, but something else is coming to the front to join it, and I'm not entirely sure what it is. Maybe orris or ylang ylang. Unfortunately, I think this is going to start making me sneeze.

On skin, dry: Yuck, it smells like dirt. As though someone yanked all the flower plants out of the ground and I'm sniffing the area around the roots, with just a hint of the flowers themselves making it to my nose.

After time: After 20 minutes, the gardenia is conquering the dirt a little, but it's still dirty and still gross and still probably going to make me sneeze if I sniff it much more. Edit: In the 5 minutes during which I got distracted before posting this to the forum, the dirtiness faded a bit. It's still a bit dirty, but now it's also a little soapy, as if it's trying to wash itself off and not entirely succeeding. Ugh.

Conclusion: Must get this one away from me! And it sounded so pretty from the description. :P

:D I never like soft floral scents. Never. But this? Adore!

It reminds me of when my son was an even itsier baby.... it smells like bath time, with a ball of lavender and soft florals in a sea of peace.

When wet I can smell the lavender but as it dries the lavender takes a step back and I am left with a lovely, soft, body-encompasing scent that I just love. This goes on my bottle list for sure!

But I still remain a standard non-floral lover, this is just an odd exception :P

In the bottle: Very strong floral...I put off trying it on for a few days, because I dreaded smelling so pungeant...

Wet on skin: Holy smokes, I've gotta go wash this off.. It was just too strong of a floral mix for me. I bought this thinking that it would be softer, and enigmatic, but not with me, I guess. :P Tomorrow I'm going to see if a fellow BPALer wants the imp instead.

In the imp I thought "This is WAY too sweet." But on it dries to a lovely, balanced lavender floral blend. The ylang ylang is a little tangy, and it almost smells like there's a bit of honeysuckle in this. It's quite lovely.

Sniffed in imp: Orris, ylang ylang, gardenia, sharply herbal lavender, dry sandalwood. Drily woody and intensely, headily floral. Many nemesis notes. This shall not be touching my skin.

In the imp, I found this unpleasant - lots of orris, and sandalwood.

On my skin, it's better; the orris and sandalwood still dominate - just a hint of lavender comes up.

When it dries, it's very light and sweet - nice, but not WOW.

Imp'd this is very Orris, heavy - nostalgic and mystrious because of the Sandalwood. I am beginning to think Orris must have been prominent in the expensive perfumes and powders of a not-so-distant century. Evocative. Because of the heavy Orris presence, Veil calls up an image of scented love letters that are brittle and crumbling with age, written by like-scented hands long since turned to bone.

Wet on the skin - - WOAH Violet! :P

Not sure about this one. Violet is a comanding note that always wants to steal the show on my skin. *please subside???* After about ten minues, she does.

I only got whiffs of Lavender about three minutes after applying during the initial drydown (fabulous, since Lavender hates me). It was sort of a face-off between Violet and Lavander, when they suddenly both took a hike.

Lilac remains and mingles nicely with Sandalwood for awhile, but Lavender and Violet wont be completely forgotten (DAMMIT). I am still getting whiffs. Ultimately this ends up powdery and slightly green on me, and is probably swap-destined. There's always the chance that a second sniff could change my mind, but not for now...

Edited by Indig0

A soft, light lavender that mingles with the violets. Powdery sweet, the perfect scent for when you want to play innocent. The sandalwood is mild, and I mainly sense lavender from it on my skin. I am a complete lavender girl so this made me very happy! I think it's beautiful, and I am glad I have a bottle.