Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sfsassy

Thunder and Blazes

THUNDER AND BLAZES
Leather, crushed grass, mud, sangre de grado, and crushed lemon candy.

I can't believe that I am first. Here goes.

Testing it on my skin, the first note I get as a wet spring soil. Not a heavy/mossy soil. More light, like in the garden. The leather comes out next and it's also very subtle to my nose. The glass note is present, but not the dominate note to me. It's there to add some softness and balance.

I do not get any crushed lemon candy. (at least not yet) I am not sure what sangre de grado is? (a tree perhaps)

Overall, its a nice scent if you like the notes. It's easy to wear and very unique.

Sniffing the bottle I get grass and dirt. Tested just a tiny bit and WHOA! Leather leather leather. It's pretty and unique but not a "me" scent. I like my leather as a background note only. No crushed lemon candy.

This would smell great on a guy if leather is your thing.

Wet: promising.. sweet fresh leather, crushed grass, a touch of mud, and sweet lemon.

drydown: uh oh.. Sangre de grado is also known as dragon's blood..but dragon's blood usually does wonderously well on me. It's the only note that I can figure would be going wonky..? Could also be the mud throwing things out of proportion. Ok now it smells a little like a pet store or a dentist's office. My nose needs a break from this one. I've apparently asked too much of it today.

I few minutes later, I get mostly leather and a bit of mud and grass..no lemon candy. Not bad, but not for me.

Edited by SophieCedar

I haven't skin tested this yet, but in the bottle, it's leather leather leather (mud) leather! I don't get grass at all, but I do get a little sweet lemon. Will update when I skin test!

MUD. Wet, in the bottle and on my skin, I get mud with something sweet. As it begins to dry, the leather starts peeking out, and I think the sweetness is crushed grass - it smells similar to a freshly mowed lawn type of grass. But that gritty mud is still there, and it really smells gritty and like dirt on a wet stone to me.

As it dries, it gets sweeter from the leather and grass, and the mud is receding into the background. No lemon drops yet. Unless that is some of the sweetness in the background? Maybe.

This is fresh out of the mailbox, though. If things change, I'll come back and edit!

:D

ETA: A couple of hours later, soft sweet leather. The stoney/mud/dirt note has vanished. And I do get a hint of lemon around the edges, just a little. Lemony leather, yay!

Also, I remembered what the dirt note reminded me of - Dungeon Crawl.

Edited by ltrittipoe

1247171849_Gnat9-Ti.jpg 1247171848_mM4bL-Ti.jpg

Upon first sniff and application, this is all dirt-dirt-DIRT! But as it dries, the dirt mixed with grass, and I would get a whiff of errant sweetness every so often (the lemon candy?) until putting my wrist closer to my nose. Then, again, all I could smell was grass and dirt, yet still when my arm moved the sweet slightly citrus-y note was in the air. It wasn't until about an hour after application that the most delicious leather note crept out, and even then the dirt remained a bit. This is a nicely complex scent, and waiting for the leather to come out is so worthwhile! 3 stars of 5 stars are awarded this LE blend. If the leather note had come out a bit sooner, the score would've been higher.

On me, this is very much leather. Actually its all I smell for the first 15 min. Then I get a little bit of a sweet/spicy/dry grass scent. Must be the dragons blood and grass. 6 hours later I do get a bit of the mud. Of the three clown scents (tested on inner arm, left wrist, and right wrist. Applied at the same time) This scent was dominating the others the whole time. If I ever got a waft of scent, it was from Thunder and Blazes. So that said, if you like leather scents that last a long time and have decent through, this may be one for you. Although, from the other reviews, it looks like its totally up to your chemistry :lol:

I'm kind of 'eh' for it myself. But will give it another go next week.

Wet on my skin, it's dirt and grass. After it is on my skin for a few minutes, I begin to pick up the leather note, which is a very dry leather on me. Dries down to a dusty leather & earth scent on my skin. As for the lemon candy, I'm not really getting any of that.

Thunder and Blazes - Sniffed in the bottle, this is all green springtime grass and chunks of wet, sloppy mud. On my skin, it's grass grass grass mud mud mud. There's the faintest trace of something kind of tangy and sweet, but I can't put my finger on it exactly. The leather is distinct, but the grass and mud dominate the scent. It's only after about 30 minutes on my skin that the scent seems to really balance out, and the grass eases back a lot while the leather steps forward a touch, and turns into a mostly leather-and-mud scent. I don't tend to like dirt scents, but this one's not bad. It's still not for me, but it's a lot nicer than I anticipated. It seems pretty masculine to me, but grass, mud, and leather-loving women might disagree. B)

upon sniff- Leather. Screaming in my face leather. And some grass. Fresh cut, real grass where you can smell the dirt that it grown in mixed in with it. I gotta be honest I am a little scared to try this one. I am not a leather fan. At all.

on- Leather. like it smells in the imp. I may not be able to tolerate this one. The Labs leather note almost takes my breath away :ack:

I will update as it dries down.

Ok there was a garden store/nursery called Frank's.. a chain that has since closed. I loved this store for anything garden related. This perfume smells just like that store. It always smelled like leather for some reason, along with Fertilizer and dirt. Earthy & plant-y. This is that smell in a bottle. LOL Not something I want to smell like. lol

Edited by Fetish911

In the vial: Leather, ozone, and ...apples?

On my skin: Stormclouds, gunpowder, apples and sugared lemon

Later: Stormclouds, gunpowder, lemon, apples and sugar-encrusted lemon.

For the record, I do not like leather scents in general. I don't like them on me or other people. However, this is just fascinating. I cannot stop sniffing my wrist and it's been three days of fresh applications without tiring of the novelty of this.

I would adore this on a man as well but love, love, love it on me. My skin does strange things to oils. In this case, where most of you are getting leather, I am getting all different notes and layers. I smell like a storm. I smell like firecrackers. I smell like sweet juicy apples. I smell like lemon rock candy.

This is my new favorite.

In the vial: Leather, ozone, and ...apples?

On my skin: Stormclouds, gunpowder, apples and sugared lemon

Later: Stormclouds, gunpowder, lemon, apples and sugar-encrusted lemon.

For the record, I do not like leather scents in general. I don't like them on me or other people. However, this is just fascinating. I cannot stop sniffing my wrist and it's been three days of fresh applications without tiring of the novelty of this.

I would adore this on a man as well but love, love, love it on me. My skin does strange things to oils. In this case, where most of you are getting leather, I am getting all different notes and layers. I smell like a storm. I smell like firecrackers. I smell like sweet juicy apples. I smell like lemon rock candy.

This is my new favorite.

I guess I've never noticed how similarly leather and grass smell, but in this perfume I'll be damned if I can tell the difference. Sniff one was very green, very fresh grass; but sniff two came immediately after and it was the leather of a Western store's boot department. Then grass, then leather, then grass, then leather; and sometimes I sort of get both.

Either way, I am shocked to say that I LOVE it when first applied.. It's such a great Spring-y, earthy type scent that I want to run through a rainshower or dig around in the garden for plump veggies. (Ha, maybe I'm getting notes of the "mud," too, and my brain can't label it in words but knows that it wants me to be frolicking outside. :think: )

Sadly, as this settles, something in it turns sterile, almost like I get a whiff of grass'n'leather with the slightest puff of Bandaid on top. And once that has lodged in your brain, it's all over. :(

I really like Thunder and Blazes. It smells like well worn leather, mud, and hints of trampled, dry, dust covered grass. I don't smell anything like dragon's blood or lemon candy, and I'm okay with that. I really like that the dirt here smells like mud, sort of wet and awesome, and not like that black potting soil smell that I get from most earth blends. The leather reminds me a bit of the feel of the leather in The Traveller.

Thunder and Blazes makes me feel like a cowgirl - very strong and very realistic leather-on-a-riding-trail. I don't know how often I'll wear this, but it's a fun scent for a certain mood ^_^.

Edited by Little Bird

Oh. I saw "mud" in the notes but I was kinda hoping that was just for fun and not real. Nope. Smells like dirt. Mud and grass. I might smell a smidgen of leather and lemon, but mostly? This smells like mud and grass. Really, really not my thing.

This is true love! :wub: Leather, grass, mud and dirt. They all come together here...in this glorious scent. Must get partial!

I've only ever gone horseback riding once, but this reminds me very much of that day. I get the grass first (BOY! Do I!) and it's so strong that my husband mentioned that it was one of the smells he was trained to be wary of in the military. :huh: (apparently, some chemical agent smells like it) The grass fades mostly within the first 30 minutes and the leather comes out. I didn't really get any lemon candy until just now, when I was contemplating this post. My wrist passed below my face and that sweet, Jolly Rancher type of candy smell caught me by surprise. The leather is the main note after an hour, but that grass smell is still there and the little breezes of sweet lemon are a pleasant surprise. I really wasn't too sure about this upon my first smell, but it's growing on me.

Mae

Thunder & Blazes reminds me of how a rodeo clown would smell, which I think was Beth's intent. :D Dirt, sweet grass, a little leather, and I get a hint of apple? Must be the dragon's blood on me in this. Anyway, this is mainly sweet grass and dirt with that hint of leather way in the back. If you're a dirt lover, you need this.

Now this is a clown I could scare children with. I love the dirt and grass and leather combo in this so darn much. It's a little more masculine, but I think plenty of ladies can make this work easily. Plus, with a little age, this gem will probably be gorrrrgeous. Mmm! The only clown I liked, and boy do I like it! :D

When first applied I can only smells the dirt and grass, but the leather quickly emerges and it pretty much stays that way: dirt, grass and leather.

Edit: Now I get the apple-vibe that others have mentioned, but I think it's the lemon peaking through and mixing with the grass.

Edited by Suusje

From sniffing the tester, I almost couldn't get myself to skin test this. It smelled like the county fair. Not the fair itself, but the trampled weeds and grass and mud. Like a wet, muddy field. STRONGLY. But in the interest of THERE'S SCIENCE TO DO, I bucked up and tried it. It was slightly better on me, but still muddy weeds and grass. Not fresh grass but trampled grass. It turned pretty quickly to all leather, all the time with a hint of the dirt component. I'm a leather-lover but I like my leather either spicy, sweet, or Rivet-ed. I don't much care for it covered in mud and grass. I agree that it smells like rodeo clown. The churned mud and grass smashed by the passing of thousands of feet, overlaid with leather chaps. In that sense, it's very evocative, but I'm not fond of the actual scent. Pass.

In the decant: It's that sharp chemical leather note, which I don't like, but I will press on.

Wet: Less leather, and more of the lemon candy, backed with a little mud.

The dry-down: In the end, this is mostly that sharp chemical leather note, with a hit of mud and grass.

In the vial: Dirt, leather and lemon. Sadly, it smells as though someone crumbled lemon candy into a shoe polish bottle... but let's try it on.

On: !!! Mold? It smells like... basement mold. As it dries, it calms down to mossy, muddy rocks in a dank cave. The lemon has vanished, I never get dragon's blood. I can't say this is my thing at all.

Later: The husband just came into the room, wrinkled his nose (he wasn't anywhere near me) and asked, "What's that nasty smell?" A quick verification later, we found it was "Thunder and Blazes". If it can stink up a whole room if I put it on myself to where other people are bothered, I am afraid it's definitely not for me (It doesn't help that I don't find it particularly pleasant, either). Doesn't even wash off with soap, yikes...

On wet, I got grass and lemon candy with a whiff of leather. Actually, it sort of smelled like a rugged cowboy cologne.

And it dries almost entirely to leather and dirt. Again, a very cowboy leather - sort of like the warm leather of Dead Man's Hand but there is a slight overlay of blood over it.

Whoa wet on this smells as if I just fell face down into a lawn. Lots of grass and dirt, fresh and green, so far no leather or lemon in sight.

There is some leather when it dries, but it stays mainly grass and dirt.

Out of the three monsterbaits I tried I think I like this one the most. It's very lifelike.

In decant: I was wowed with this scent--it's "clean" soil to my nose, when I was fully expecting to not like it (which is why I tested this first of the Coulrophobia blends!). Along with the soil, I can get the crushed grass, and a faint lemon note.

Wet on skin: Grassy soil and leather, with the latter amping up and making this decidedly masculine for me. Still an interesting scent, I can tell from now that I won't be wearing this, but it's beautiful.

Dry: Leathery, slightly lemony soil and grass. This is weird, but it actually reminds me of a poolside--there's a slight aquatic tinge to it (well, mud is made out of soil and water, yes?). Surprisingly nice, really. The lemon continually recedes, and later on the scent is just plain soil and leather, with a very faint green quality to it.

Verdict: Interesting scent! I'm quite pleased at how it's turned out--I didn't really think it would be a "nice" blend. Not for me, but I might keep the imp a while as I'm curious as to how this will age.