Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Koumori

Antony

The embodiment of Classic masculinity. A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil.

in the imp: smells like green plants and mens cologne

i thought i might like the scent in the imp and liked it enough to try it, but alas, this one is just not going to work on...

This has a light, grassy tone to it, but it's definitely a gentle masculine scent. The musky leather is very subtle to me, and something about the sage and resins brings to mind smoke, incense, smudging, and the essence of strength.

In the bottle: Light honey coloured oil. Herbal, fresh, a little salty. Quite soft though - not harsh or astringent at all. The frankincense is very mild, and just sort of hazes the blend.

Wet: Soapier (wah, ambergris) but also 'cleaner' as a result. The herbs are brighter, almost sharp but not quite. The basil takes the fore, with sage noticeable but not standing out as much.

Dry: Soapier and sharper, sigh - but also brighter and more clearly masculine. The sage has amped to be on par with the basil. The frankincense has come out more, adding a sweet incense note.

Summary: Soapy ambergris over freshly crushed basil and sage with faint sweet frankincense providing some incensey warmth. Oddly cool and warm at once. Masculine. Low throw.

I didn't expect this to work for me, and I was right.

Edited by fairnymph

In the imp: This was a perfunctory whiff, because I was suspicious of the incense and leather. But it was lovely, with how the green grass holds it together.

Wet: Leather and frankincense.

Drydown: Just the incense.

Dry: My skin turns it into a *very* sweet brown leather and mild incense. Not particularly interesting. I wish I could get back the complexity of the imp, with the sage and the basil.

I don't get the warrior scent feeling...

Imp: Very green, like being on a hill thats covered in some kind of flower, I'm not a floral kinda guy so I can't think of any names.

Wet: Very herbal, it's subtle surprisingly...

Drydown: Reminds me a bit of Irish Spring soap, a definite St. Patty's day scent.

Overall: No big bottle, but the imp is useful...<3

In the bottle it's cough drops. Wet it's sage and basil. Dry leather is added. Definitely a masculine scent.

In bottle/imp: Herbs, incense, and musk.

Immediately on skin: This is an herbal scent with a bit of leather and the powdery, sweet note I get from ambergris. There is also a bit of light incense in this, and it seems like a nice unisex scent though it is a bit sweet. There’s a nice herbal/leather thing going on that balances that out though.

After a little while: This dries down to a slightly sweet and musky herbal scent. It’s very light and the leather has all but disappeared, but the incense is still there a little. It’s not really a smoky scent though.

Overall Impressions: This scent was rather complex at first, but became something a little less inspiring. It faded to this sweet musky herbal scent, with the powderiness I personally get from ambergris. This is unisex, though a bit sweet.

Surprisingly light--very green, very fresh. A man's smell for sure, although it's a wee bit sweet from the incense and ambergris. Pleasant, nothing spectacular.

A lovely frimp from the lab...Sounds masculine, but I am intrigued with the classical references in the notes and must try this!

In the imp: musky sage, basil and frankincense

Wet: stays true but the sage and frankincense are warm. Nice!

Dry: This is so much more dignified and patrician than I expected. The leather note is gently worn, the herbs sweet and green. The ambergris adds just a little hint of wildness.

I love the way this smells on me and would wear this. It would be so amazing on DH if I could convince him to try it!

Gently worn leather, green grass and herbs. At times I catch whiffs of incense and frankincense, but add depth and spiciness than smoke or darkness.

Sage and basil provide a crisp and fresh/herbal background and well worn leather adds a broken touch. It is definitely masculine, but the crspness of the herbs and the addition of ambergris and frankincense allow it to be unisex. No one scent is dominate, but the scent says strength.

Sweet, sunsoaked grass and faint, realistic, soft leather/suede. While leather can be hideous on me, this is well-tempered by the other notes. The frankincense and maybe a hint of musky ambergris float around in the background, but those more resinous, peculiar scents are pretty light. Overall, it's fresh and outdoorsy and warm. Antony's pretty sexy.

Bordering on too masculine for me, but I was expecting that. It's right on the fence. I could pull it off with the right mood and attitude.

Hi sage, hi basil. Hopefully this is going to move a little away from completely herbal in a few moments... Getting the ambergris after about 15 min. that adds some warmth with a tinge of wine. This gets more and more complex the longer I let it sit. Turning a bot powdery though :P Sweet and still very pleasant! Not a keeper for me though - I was really wanting more leather and musk. Darn you, skin.

In the vial: Resins and a touch of herb.

Wet: It smells anise-like; must be the basil. There's something sharp like resin, but mostly I'm getting that anise note.

One hour: Resinous, herbal, musky, just a hint of leather, rather a lot like the description. Thank heaven the anise note went away; it was very distracting.

Two hours: It's gone more musky and leathery, almost sour.

Three hours: Sour.

I wonder what soured so on my skin? Guess it was the leather note.

i got this as a frimp in a swap. i find it to be masculine, but in a soft, comforting sort of way. it's not too herbal or aquatic or in your face. it's subtle and a mix of resins and greenery with that slight hint of leather. sage always smells great on me, so i am loving this one. i like it on me and would also like to smell it on my boyfriend!

Wet, this is deeply aquatic/resinous (this is usually what description comes to mind with ambergris) with an overlay of herbs.

Dry, this is an exercise in "HELLO FRANKINCENSE." It's been a while since I've tried anything with frankincense and I'd sort of forgotten the tendency my skin has to make frankincense go nuts, especially when in combination with herbs. It even killed the ambergris. :eek:

That said, it's a fairly pleasant, masculine smell. If I can somehow convince my husband to try this, I'll edit the review to post how it works on him.

This is masculine but very soft, too. At first it is very fresh and sweet from the basil and sage. However, the drydown is the sweet, odd smell of ambergris with a heavy undertone of frankincense.

This one is a bet meh unfortunately. Yes it's got a herbal and fresh quality to it, with a sort of familiar men's cologne at the same time.

After about 20 mintues though it turns to a very strong musk on me and stays that way until it fades.

Where was the leather?? Sure it was hiding in there somewhere.

:)

I've wanted to try this since I first got into BPAL, and I squeed my pants when the lovely Twitch sent me this for no reason at all! :joy:

Imp: Smells like... nothing? I get vague hints of frankincense and basil but not much else.

Wet: Ambergris! I love ambergris, truly I do. It's this soft, fuzzy, barely-there smell, almost like a white amber but with overtones of salt and sunshine. After a minute the basil and frankincense peak their heads through, making it smell like a sunny herb garden. I'm not getting much leather, which is good, because leather smells awful on me. On the other hand, I'm not getting much of anything else, either-- this is pretty faint.

Dry: Drat. Unfortunately the basil and the frankincense team up to make me smell like an expensive bar of men's soap. Oh well. It might just be because this poor little imp has been in the mail for a while-- I'll try it again once it settles down. If it still doesn't work, looks like it'll end up in the Boy's pile.

In the bottle - It's very herb-y to my nose, with a touch of the ambergris making it almost soapy.

Wet - Mmm, ambergris is nice in this.

Drying - This reminds me of something. Like a cleaning product. Unless I'm very wrong, that's the basil that's making it feel that way. I'm getting no frankincense from this. Wait, there's a touch coming out, along with quite a bit of the sage. It's a very interesting scent right now, but it just isn't kicking that "cleaning solution" feel to it.

Dry (2 hours) - All that's left is sage with a little basil. And it's... well, sage just doesn't smell good to my nose.

Overall - Sage and dill both give me issues. <_< So big no on this.

this is all ambergris and musk on me.

very sweet and musky.

very pretty, deep, and almost hypnotic. i'm digging this. not as resinous as i'd hoped it would be, but gorgeous nonetheless.

Imp: Tart fruit

Wet: Tart fruit, leather and sage.

Drydown: I amp frankincense, and in this, it's out-shining all the other notes. After about 30 minutes, the notes have blended and mellowed.

Overall: This is a nice church-incense type scent on my skin. It's nice, but I have too many that are similar to this. I don't need anymore.

imp: frankincense and sage.

wet: this is bright and fresh when applied, like fresh sage and basil and something else...

dry: this dries so soft and beautiful, such a difference from sniffing the imp. i may consider a bottle.

Got an imp of this for the hubby thinking the notes sounded very masculine..

Wet on skin: Lemony and herbal, this is masculine? I wanna keep this one!

Drydown: more of the same. I think I'll give him this to see if he will wear it. I think it could be unisex, but as masculine a very fresh blend.

Very Nice!

In the bottle: Clean and spicy.

Wet: Clean and spicy.

Wet, 1 minute later: Warm and spicy - well-aged, musky leather showing through.

Dry: This blend goes on smooth and stays that way through the whole dry-down. None of the notes really pop out at me the whole time. Undeniably smells like a freshly showered dude, but this is a nice guy, a patient guy, a guy who lets other people come to him instead of getting in their faces. Civilized, noble, clean. My dad REALLY liked this one on my wrist.

Green? No. Herbs? No. Leather? Maybe. I don't know.

What I detect is ambergris and incense. The scent starts out warm and becomes more and more sultry. Four hours later it is still as strong as when I applied it.