Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Koumori

Antony

The embodiment of Classic masculinity. A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil.

honestly, i thought i wasn't going to like this one! It is a nice surprise, though, to LOVE it! I thought it would be very... foresty or something? Instead, I smell some yummy sage... a little spice. *looking for the basil*

this is, i guess, a masculine scent... but I still adore it! :P

Imp: Green and herby but with a warm undertone. Definitely smellable beyond the closed cap.

Wet: Something familiar - almost church incense, but not obviously frankincense. Strong throw on me.

Drydown: Rapid changes over about an hour, bouncing back and forth between notes. Predominant notes include the basil and frankincense; the leather is almost there but not quite distinct, and it fades in and out.

1 hour: Sage and basil in the late-afternoon summer heat, sitting on someone's leather jacket just outside an empty church where there was incense in the morning service. (I want to hug me. And possibly grope a bit.) The ambergris is there, giving it an old-fashioned undertone and providing the warmth, but I can't pick it out distinctly.

3 hours: Warm quiet sage. It's stopped throwing so loudly, and it's just warm and comforting. This is exactly what I hoped Aeval would be, but without the high sweet floral note.

ETA: 23 hours after application - working in the yard and a shower later, there's still a whiff of Antony on my wrists. It's a second-skin scent now and I am utterly in love with it....

Verdict: Keeper, though I'll have to be careful where I wear it as it throws more than I'm comfortable with. (I'd wear it all the time if cut with a carrier oil, though.) It's definitely not feminine, but I don't think I smell like a guy - it's just a confident scent. Imagine Katharine Hepburn in the early 50s, striding around Hollywood in her tailored trousers and white shirt, sexy as hell almost precisely because she doesn't care about being sexy? That's Antony on me. Now I've just got to live up to it. :P

Edited by Catrinella

Wet: very light. slightly powdery & herbal

Drydown: Sweet & amazing, but not much throw at all. I think I'm mostly getting the basil note, which smells so good. It's sweet, lightly green, and slightly herbal. I'm only slightly picking up any of the resins, but there is a hint of something powdery in the background, but the notes match well with the basil.

I wish this was about 200% stronger; I'd bathe in it. Hell, I might get a bottle to do just that anyway.

In the bottle: Fresh herbs and sweet frankincense, yum!

Wet: All sweet airy incense, grass, sage, and maybe some ambergris. It's masculine and fresh.

Drydown: Sage, sweet herbs and incense, everything is very soft and subdued, gently spicy. There's a tiny hint of leather, and a general feeling of herbs and incense being burnt at an altar. It has a smooth feel to it, like well-oiled leather armour. I finally get the basil too, for some reason it reminds me a bit of a fragrant tea. After a while, the herbs lift to give way to the leather and ambergris I think, which give it a definite warrior feel.

Overall: A deliciously fresh, incensy blend. I don't get the much expected leather very strongly before extreme drydown, but the herbs and incense work very well together to create a misty, solemn atmosphere. I like how the herbs work out on me - at last a sage blend I can wear! It's soft, it's sweet and it's deep. Love it!

Edited by Meg

For being a very masculine scent, this isn't all that bad. It's a bit too green for my tastes, but the leather covers that up nicely. This would be wonderful on a man, but I like smelling like a girl.

In the imp and wet on my skin I get a hint of the green which is quickly replaced by deep resins.

As Antony begins to dry down, the resins are more pronounce but in the background supporting the whole scent is a nice strong scent of musk and leather.

Completely dried down and this is a perfectly balanced oil with all notes present and accounted for.

Conclusion? I don't think that this should be labeled a "men only" scent. I think it would work with females well too. It works for me with the green, resiny,musk all on a hint of leather. After ab out 30 minutes it tends to float lightly on my skin and seems almost a very light and haunting fragrance. On my adult son? It is very manly cologne, Don't pass this by if you haven't tried it. This could be a bottle for both of you to share!

Okay throw, okay wear on me but on my son - good throw, long wear.

Antony - What a gorgeous scent! I was expecting something highly masculine, but Antony is lovely and smells really delicious on me. It’s an highly herbal scent, and when I sniff my skin up close, I smell the distinct scent of frankincense. Overall, the scent is sweet, sweet, green, and clean as it wafts around me. It’s like the masculine version of Fae, only not as powerful. Simply gorgeous and I’ll definitely wear it myself. The level of throw is fairly light and the lasting power is moderate.

Antony

It's funny, I expected Antony to be bitter and masculine and green, certainly not sweet. All I remember from the description is leather and herbs, and I seem to recall that some people found it to smell like a pasta dish.

To me, Antony is fruity incense, much like The Caterpillar. To my girlfriend, it's floral. We agreed on sweet, floral oriental soap. Huh? Nowhere near the description... Nontheless, quite likeable.

Well well, we were not so far off after all. I was right about the incense, I didn't remember that. And my girlfriend said "summery field", by which she meant a field full of flowers, but at least there's green fields in it... But where does the sweetness come from? And is there leather in it or is that just descriptive?

Edited by Caltha

I wish I got the herby, leathery version of this. In the bottle, it smells wonderful. On, however, it turns into pure talcum powder with a hint of leather - like Antony's leather armour was too tight and he had to powder up heavily to get into it. Oy. I might try it in a locket or something, but otherwise I fear it's going to be off to swaps. Drat.

Initial impression: very green, grassy; a bright, windy summer day.

After drying: very faint, quickly fading to soapy or powdery scent. Fresh, but hints of the outdoors are fading at an alarming rate. This is a very faint scent; I had to apply a comparatively large quantity to get close to the effect I'd get with most others.

In the imp: Green! Very green and fresh smelling. I think this one will be a winner. Makes me think of wide open sky and steeply rolling hills. Imagine the opening scene of The Sound of Music, minus the woman singing and mucking about, that's what this smell "looks" like to me.

On Anubis: Faint, green, grassy, sweet and clean. Not getting any specific notes, but definitely a nice fresh scent, that smells less like you are wearing something and more like you've been rolling around on the aforementioned hills.

On the (my) wrist, wet: Aftershave? Strange, it smells nothing like it did in the imp. Smells much more manufactured. Something in this is reminding me of Bayou. That doesn't bode well. :P

Drydown: Turned powdery. Bugger. Off to the swaps.

In the imp: Sweet, smoky amber with a *very* light, minty sage in the background.

On wrist: Starts out just like above but within 10-15 minutes it's all deep, rich smoky amber with hints of frankincense & basil swirling about in the background. I tested this late at night and it wears well, didn't fade but a bit overnight. It's close to the skin after all those hours but remains just as lovely. On me it's not at all a masculine scent.

I originally wanted this for my love, Anthony :D Kinda had to try it, right? It's AMAZING on him. Same gorgeous amber but his chemistry brings out the frankincense a bit more than it does the sage and basil. The leather is barely there, almost imagined. On him, it's all masculine. I don't know if it's the description and power of suggestion, but this is most perfect for him. The whole hardcore alpha male/warrior's heart thing...um yeah and :P

Bottle in next order for sure.

I would consider this one to be more "gender neutral" than a scent for the guys. It's very soft and light but does have more of a male cologne feel to it. It's lovely but not something I think I'd upgrade to a bigger bottle. I 'll keep the imp though :P

Antony

In the imp: herbal resins. I smell sage, frankincense and possibly some basil.

Wet on skin: this sweetens nicely and the resin gets a little bit stronger.

Dry on skin: mmm, I like this. This is a very pleasant herbal mixture of sage and basil with a lovely waft of smoky incense. I smell the same ambergris note from Cathode here, that soft and almost salty smell, as well as frankincense, ant the scent is warm and balmy, herbal without smelling like a herb cupboard-this smells like herbal incense burning, warm and smooth.

After a while: eventually the scent becomes very much a sage-ambergris scent, with hints of frankincense. it's a softly balsamic scent but it's a lot more masculine now, and not as sweet…it's almost powdery, reminiscent of the mossy stage of Cathode.

Eventually it's just sage and ambergris-a very pleasant scent but this does seem more of a guy scent to me. There's something mossy about it as well, strangely.

Verdict: I quite like this scent-I think of it as non-electric Cathode in ancient Rome. It has the same ambergris, but instead of mint it has a warm blend of herbs with a lovely, but short lived, frankincense note. The ambergris is very noticeable here-more so than most other scents, and it's hard to describe but quite distinctive. The drydown isn't too bad but doesn't have the resinous depth it had before, it's powdery-green and a little bit more masculine than usual, with a lot of sage. I like it but I might swap it since it's ok on me but would be nicer on a man. I also wish it were a little stronger. However, I think that there should be a Cleopatra scent to go with Antony, I know I'd be all over that…

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Nero, Cathode

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I'm married to an Antony, so had high hopes for this. Sadly, I'm coming to the realization that I'm not a resin fan. I've tried it twice, both on me and on its namesake, and just can't love it like I want to. The frankincense is too strong, it overpowers the herbs for me. I also get hints of anise, a scent I definitely dislike. On drydown it's a little tamer, and there's a softer, greener scent, but it's just not really perfect for him. That's ok - there are others that are.

Edited by Taniwha

You know, I smell damn good wearing the embodiment of Classical masculity, despite being a girl and all.

I'm shocked that I can wear ambergris without it going rancid-smelling, but there you go. Unfortunately, this lacks both throw and staying power, so I slather.

In the vial: Very herbal, with a fresh undertone to it

On me, it smells almost the same, but the leather peeks out every once in a while. This is a quite interesting scent - yes, it is masculine. Something about it reminds me of Cool Water, but with herbs instead of that perfume-shoppy generic vibe.

Sadly, my husband's skin ate it all up almost immediately after application, and on me, it doesn't really last any amount of time, either.

I do like the scent quite a bit, so I will keep the imp, but since it's always gone so quickly, I don't think I'm gonna order more.

This was a frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Frankincense is the first thing I smell, followed by a little musk and maybe green.

Wet: Frankincense - which I love - competing with green herbs - which I hate. The result is a sharp green herbal incense. Weird.

Drydown: Woody incense mixed with sharp green herbs. This is confusing my nose, it wants to love and hate it at the same time. If the herbal notes (particularly the sage) die down I'll be a lot happier about this one.

Dry: Incensy leather with a little green. It's still not me, but this is very intriguing.

I think I'll keep this imp and test it further. The frankincense in this is absolutely stunning, but the green, as always, is my nemesis. But I think I may be able to learn to like this. It's also another I need to test on my partner, although it's nowhere near too masculine for me. In fact I'd call this gender neutral.

this smelled absolutely wonderful in the imp vial, and it smells pretty good on me too, but it's so faint... either I didn't put on enough or it fades on my skin (I've had another oil do that in the past). it's herbal and warm. I'd like to try this on my husband.

I'm noticing that I get "warm" from scents that have resins in them, and I like this warmth, so I should start looking for scents with these notes.

Antony-

In Bottle: I smell...spearmint. Manly spearmint, but spearmint all the same.

Wet: Spearmint with a little lemon.

Dry: SPEARMINT. It never stops! Except...okay, eventually it does stop, and becomes something sour-dead flower-ish. No, not for me. Off I go to wash.

Overall: Not for me.

Manly but not too manly. The ambergris gives it a feel of being wild, but overall it's a fairly typical spice. I don't really get the greens out of this at all - mostly the frankcincense and incense.

Hrm... not at all a bad scent. This smells like a nice masculine cologne on me. The sage note gets amped up a bit by my chemistry but I think I rather like it. Of course, the true test will be trying it out on my husband... :P

Strong sage and basil at first, but now that it's dry I can smell the musky leather, quickly turning this to bug spray on me. Oh, well, someone else will love it.

A.

Out of the vial I smell mostly sage and ambergris...I have high hopes for this one! Ambergris is one of my favorite scents :P

On my skin this is almost all ambergris :D As this dries the sage fades and I'm left with a very masculine, resinous scent with just a hint of something herbal in the background.

I think this is a bit too masculine (even for me :p) but I can definitely appreciate how gorgeous it is.