Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

I really had high hopes for this one but unfortunately this one dosen't work for me :(
In the bottle it smells like cough syrup. Some one earlier mentioned grape bubble yum...yeah I get that too.
On me it kinda dissappears but it's smelling like To Autumn only slightly different...then its gone! :ghost:

Sweet and a little perfumey in the vial.

Strangely this is a bit floral on me. I can smell the sugars as well, but they quickly become burnt plastic.. ick.

I wore this fragrance for the first time since winning it today. I got so many compliments on it. I kept smelling my own arm all day. It lasted all day on too, even though it is not a strong scent. It is sweet, but that is my favorite kind of fragrance. I do tell people what the name of the scents I am wearing are and when I said sugar skull I did get a weird look today. I had to explain it had to do with Halloween. This does top my list of favorites.

Not sure which vintage this is; received an imp in a cobalt blue bottle and the label art depicts a woman with her arm raised.

In the Vial: Yup, that super throat-burning 'brown sugar' scent so many others have mentioned. No, like the lab's caramel note, I think. I forget. :blush:

Wet: Gets a tiny bit fruity, but yes, this is all about the sugar.

Drydown: Oddly enough, this turns almost incensey as it dries on me. And something else that almost reads as dust to my nose. (Okay, n/m other reviewers have said the same thing, saying they smell incense.) Whoa whoa whoa. Hoooold on, now I'm getting a hint of moth balls. Ick.

Verdict: This is neat and I'm glad I have a cool cobalt blue bottle now, but I'm sort of glad it was only an imp's worth. I just don't see myself waking up and wanting to smell like this, especially if I keep getting the moth ball hint. *retch*

Oh, I love this one. Then again, there are certain days when I just feel the need to smell like candy, just as a little pick-me-up, and this definitely does the trick. It's mostly brown sugar and caramel, and it goes through brief phases of smelling boozy, sort of like rum, and also smelling like root beer (sometimes the Lab's sugars do that on me, it's weird), but it doesn't stay that way.

Mostly settles down to sugar, caramel, and a little bit of fruit, maybe apple or apricot. Smells like a fruit cobbler. Very lickable! Will also be a good autumn-type scent when that season rolls around again.

I'm not sure which version I have because the oil leaked out a bit in the mail and the label slipped off and is illegible, but its in a cobalt bottle, so I'm guessing an earlier year...

anywaysss... I'm not much of a foodie person, but was wanting to try this anyways, the idea of candied fruits and sugar just sounded so nice.

I however got burnt sugar and nothing but, not just sugar but burnt brown sugar. It would be nice I'm guessing, in colder weather but in the summertime, its just making me queasy.

Sugar Skull 2006

Bottle: Molasses.

Wet: Not molasses but still a strong, sticky, almost boozy scent.

Dry: Really long drydown on this one, btw. After drydown it's a nice, sweet fruity scent but there's still a strong burnt/molasses-y component. Very, extraordinarily sweet and foody. A little fruitiness but it doesn't cut the molasses quality. Almost grotesque in its sweetness. I might have to brush my teeth now.

Throw: Sugar Skull is EVERYWHERE!

Overall: I don't particularly care for it but it's been complimented enough that if the compliments keep up I'll probably at least manage to finish the bottle. Apparently I am a big ho for attention. However, this doesn't mean I'll buy another bottle when it's done.

Sugar Skull 2004

In the bottle: Brown sugar, melted. Oh god, so good.

Wet: Wow, this has some throw! It's lovely though. Very sugary. Slightly foody, but not too much. Just delicious and sweet.

Lasts forever!

2008 version

In the imp: Red fruits

Wet: Strangely, this isn't foody at ALL. It's very perfumey and almost floral at this stage, with some lingering fruitiness.

Dry: I'm getting some sugar now, but it's still not a scent that's reminiscent of candy or baked goods like I was expecting. This isn't the sugar of sticky-faced kids on Halloween; it's a light, pretty, grown-up sugar, dusted over a delicate dessert eaten by a woman wearing expensive perfume.

Surprisingly, I really like this! It's a sophisticated-foody scent, which is nice for days when I don't want to straight-up smell like pie or something. Wasn't at all what I expected, but sometimes that's for the best, as I don't think I'd really wear a sticky-sweet sugar candy scent much... but this will definitely be getting some use :)

2006, 2007, 2008 Sugar Skulls

Burnt sugar, hints of molasses and somewhere inside a touch of sweet candy.

But most of the time Sugar Skull is burnt sugar & molasses. Not my cup of tea.

Sugar Skull 2008 (decant)

I was hoping for smooth, sweet, and light fruit. What I get is so sharply sweet it's almost bitter, with just a touch of overripe fruit thrown in for good measure. Yuck.

I have a sweet tooth. To a rather extreme degree. In my childhood I would eat sweets until the room was quivering along the edges, then run so I could see thinks blur into trails as a I ran. This was especially fun at Disneyland, where all the colors blurred rather madly & I was high on rock candy (large, pure sugar crystals- for those who weren't thinking sugar).

This perfume is that experience.

Extreme sugar & flashes of color.

Part of my mind says OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Another simply says wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

And the last part is chittering like the hyper squirrel in "Over the Hedge" about the yummy colors.

It's almost like a psychotic break in a bottle. A very sweet psychotic break. :lol:

I didn't think there was a form of sugar in existence that wouldn't go straight to your thighs, but then along comes Beth and changes the laws of the universe :joy: This may be pure sugar, but it's not the ghastly cloying scent of confectioner's sugar, one whiff of which never fails to make me gag. This is definitely a cane sugar blend with its own natural depth and a slight "caramelized" undertone that makes it irresistable and extremely tempting to lick off my wrist. For anyone afraid of the candied fruits venturing into what I called something like "teenybopper-uber-fruit-blast-explosion" in another post, they're extremely subtle, just like the colored embellishments on real sugar calaveras. I've never eaten one myself, let alone been anywhere near Mexico in my life, which may be all the better for its residents around El Dia de los Muertos because after experiencing this stuff, I'd probably stockpile all their sugar skulls. :yum:

Edited by Invidiana

Hey ladies! This is my first BPAL scent I ever tried, and I don't have an experienced nose so bear with me. :blush: When I first opened the bottle it smelt to me like caramelized sugar or maybe the top of a creme brulee? Anyways, it is a very strong burnt sugar note. (Not offensive though! lol) :wub2:When I put it on and it was still wet it smelled heavily of burnt sugar almost unbearably so. After about an hour or so it dried down to a sweet brown sugar scent that is sweet but rich at the same time. Once this settles on me I really do love it. The longer it wears the more I like it! It wears on me really well, I have been wearing it for about 6 hours now and I can still smell it! I am very happy with this scent and if this is what I can expect from my other BPAL scents, I will be a very happy girl!

I got a frimp decant of 2005 from an ebay purchase.

Imp: Like opening a bag of muscovado sugar or a new tin of treacle. Sweet but slathered with a sort of gingerbread smell.

Wet: Sugar! But more caramelised. Reminds me so much of unbaked christmas cake resting filled with spices and dried fruit.

Drydown: I want to lick my wrist (I wont!) :yum: It dries down on the skin the same as it is wet which is nice.

I like it. From the imp I wasn't sure. I didn't think i'd like something this deep. I'm usually more a sweet and light. Perfect for christmas time and the winter months. Makes me feel very christmassy.

In essence; it's not me but I like it. One for late winter christmas evenings. Will keep the frimp decant. :lovestruck:

This is for the 2008 version.

In the vial, this smells very offputtingly of burnt caramel. However, I'm not one to be put off by how something smells in the vial and put it on anyway. Within minutes, the burnt caramel softens into this amazing, slightly caramelly but somehow not supremely foody sweetness with a bit of fruit. It's almost but not quite floral in the end, and very wearable even for a confirmed foody hater like me. I'll keep and cherish the decant.

I have trouble with this one, I guess it's just not right for me. It smells a bit like burnt sugar if anything at all. I was looking forward to this but Im not getting sweetness complexity or distinct notes when I sniff at this one.

Sweet, potent blackberry wine/liquor, on me and in the IMP :D

I think I might need to try and find a bottle this is AMAZING!!!

Sugar Skull '07- My first reaction is that I love this. It is so sweet and it isn't going bad on my skin like most sweet scents do. It's also a little smoky. Yummy.

traded a testable rare that i'll never use but was glad to test for this and an imp of perversion from a very close friend. 2008 version.

in the imp: fruit compote. seriously. it smells like brown betty.

wet: crumb topping on the compote. spiced sugar.

dry: spiced caramel. it's burnt sugar with fruit undertones.

STRONG, and high throw. i wore my normal imp swipe and i'm in a caramel haze. hopefully it's settle down a little before my boy comes home from work.

Sugar Skull, 2007

I smell like incense candy..haha

The imp smelled kind of like cotton candy. Then the oil smelled kind of maple syrup-ish when it was wet, then morphed into a sugary incense smell as it dried. I'd love this as an air freshener scent.

Sugar Skull 2008. Source - an empty bottle from my then decant mistress.

This is odd. I was hoping for a sugar blast, but what I get is Samhain but sweeter. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. I'd love to try it from another source, because this tiny little drop of oil must be contaminated. Must be.

Sugar Skull 2005

Caramelized sugar with unrecognizable general fruitiness--cotton candy? It somewhat reminds me of Loli.Goth, but not as bright.

I like sweet scents like this. I may hunt down a bottle in the near future.

I'm not sure what year I have, it was a kind gift from someone on S&S. This comes out as caramelized sugar and fruit on me. I love this and may have to hunt down a bottle of this in the near future.