Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

All In The Golden Afternoon

A bizarre blend of pineapple, tangerine, tobacco, apricot, and seltzer coated with hazy amber and heady sun-baked flowers.

First applied, I get the fruit. It's very juicy and tangy in a way but there is this sweetness in the background tempering that tangy aspect. After a bit, there is a floral that appears. It's a warm low floral instead of one that screams its presence be made known. The tang and juiciness is still apparent but has melded together with amber and this lovely, light floral. Beautiful and well-blended. Edited by saralaughs

Fruity! This is definitely a bubbly, fizzy, juicy fruit, but not overly sweet. And oddly, nod as foody as some fruit blends. It really does smell kind of like flavored selzer. This would be a lovely bath oil or linen spray. I get a lot of pineapple at first, then it dries down to a very nice tart apricot with a floral edge.

Now that I am re-visiting it for the review, this smells a lot better than it had initially. I remember it being rather shrill and awful; now it's more muted, more like a watercolor painting done in pastel colors than the garish melange of FRUT! FLOWERS! INSANITY! that I remember.

Even so, something -- possibly the pineapple -- is just not working for me. This one needs to go to a loving home.

Interesting in the imp-a hazy golden scent, the most prominent of the fruits being the pineapple, but this isn't super sugary sweet-the tobacco and amber add that haze to it, and the seltzer gives it a bit of fizz.

Whoa, the seltzer and tobacco come out quite a bit more on my skin. Probably a bit too much tobacco for my tastes. Definitely also getting the amber and sun-baked flowers, the golden fruits really kind of get swallowed up-pineapple is barely there and I don't really notice the apricot or tangerine at all.

This one seems to morph a lot-now it's more tangeriney and warm earthy flowers...I like this phase more than that fresh on the skin phase...this has a moderate throw and lasts really really long-it's a morpher, and I imagine it's one that really smells different on different people, so if it sounds up your alley, I'd recommend getting an imp to see how it works on you!

That's a bright sunny scent! The pineapple and tangerine are there, but not enough to call it fruity. It's warm, with the amber holding it together, sweet and mild.

For me, the flowers show up most, with the fruit giving it a nice sweet zing in the background. On me, this is the kind of scent you'd wear as you were lazing in a field somewhere on a hot Saturday afternoon. I wish the pineapple would show up more (I do love me some pineapple!) but it's a really pretty scent as it is.

Feeling of the blend: Warm, spritzy, sweet and juicy but also floral.

Imp: Hmm. Interesting. Getting citrus, which contrast nicely with what smells like orange flowers (marigolds and such maybe?)

On: Very warm and orange smelling. Getting lots of tangerine and pineapple (they're at the front), with amber and the wildflowers in the back providing warmth. No sign of tobacco, thank goodness.

Like a plate of fruit sitting in the blazing sun next to a patch of orange and yellow flowers.

Citrus backs off a bit on the drydown, but is still present.

Verdict: It's nice, but I'm not an "orange" person. This is very pretty, but it's not for me. I'll hang onto my imp for now though, because it could grow on me.

Pretty, yellow, fresh and floral. Wet, I couldn't pick out clear notes of tangerine or pineapple, which is what I was hoping for. I don't know my florals well enough to identify them, but they were bright and sweet without being at all sharp. The seltzer didn't give off a strong carbonated feel, but there was something sparkly about the flowers, as though they had just been misted. In the drydown, tobacco emerged, and the scent got less sprightly and more herbal.

I would have preferred this to be predominately fruity with a taste of flowers, rather than the reverse, but overall it's a happy yellow scent that's very easy to enjoy. Good throw but short longevity.

Ripe, juicy pineapple with just a hint of amber and fizz. :yum: Drying down I could detect a bit of the tangerine and apricot, but not *too* much. Finally, this blend becomes a beautiful citrusy floral and I love it. There is a definitely a bottle of this in my future!

I'm getting bright fruits, and a hint of flowers in the imp, kind of similar to Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand. On my skin, the pineapple's starting to amp and take this... interesting places. We'll see what happens The pineapple fades quickly, though, and I'm getting this beautiful golden scent that's actually very reminiscent of L'Estate for me. oO Definitely getting the full skin test.

On the full skin test, I'm getting the similarity to L'Estate almost straight off the bat, and the pineapple isn't there nearly as much. This may be becoming a bottle very quickly. However, it fades to nothing pretty quickly, and the seltzer and pineapple come out a bit more on the full skin test, so I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

Edited by Venneh

Alas, All in the Golden Afternoon triggered both my and my sister's asthma. This isn;t unusual for me with blends containing a lot of bouquets (the combinations necessary to synthesize fruit scents, etc. seem to be more prone to triggering me), so I'm not surprised. I am disappointed, though.

This is the best part of summer - bottled. Sun, lush, ripe fruits and flowers in full bloom baking in the warmth. The smell is intoxicating and with the slightest hints of amber and tobacco this only gets better. Everything about this blends screams warmth, comfort, and just a little sexy. This will get tonnes of wear in the upcoming months.

On the skin: an amber floral with a hint of fruit? Not bad! This is very much a summer blend and it is quite difficult to pick out separate notes. Everything blends together so well! It is very interesting, but not my kind of thing.

Wet: at first it is very sour on me, I suspect the pineapple. The seltzer is really there and really fizzy. How strange! The sourness goes away after a few minutes.

As it dries: I think the “hazy amber” in this blend is the same or quite similar to the “grey amber” used in Bat. It is a bit sweetish and gives a depth to the scent.

Dry: Now it is strongly floral with fruit. The amber really is a bit hazy and adds interest. Basically it is a warm, golden fruity floral.

The fruits and amber are adding up to something a bit too warm and sticky smelling for me to enjoy.

A frimp from the Lab :D I can honestly say otherwise I would've never thought to try this. A truly strange list of ingredients, but who knows?

In the imp - pineapple, tangerine, tobacco. Very fresh but not as foody as I thought it would be.

On wet - I can't believe I'm writing this, but this is actually really nice! Fresh and golden but still not overly fruity and sweet. Looks like a good summer scent so far. The seltzer in particular is absolutely inspired :D

Drydown - OMG. This is so amazing! Never in a million years could I have anticipated this. So far absolutely every single Mad Tea Party scent has turned its back on me but this is beautiful. A beautiful mishmash of the pineapple, tangerine and apricot - I usually don't even like fruit scents! - with perfect amber and tobacco, I can't smell that much of the flowers, thank goodness - a perfect summertime scent. This one is a keeper. Thank you Lab!

:::ALL IN THE GOLDEN AFTERNOON:::

The description for All In the Golden Afternoon came as a bit of a surprise...

The expectation was that there would be more specifics to the floral notes than, 'Sun Baked Flowers', but the scent has, nevertheless proven delightfully delicious thus far!

All In the Golden Afternoon smells like a blissed out laze atop a picnic blanket whilst the sun radiates a peculiarly ticklish fire of sorts.

Most noticeable at first breath are the Tangerine, Pineapple and Apricot; as though a marvelous array of tarts and jellies had been included in the afternoon's outdoor repast.

The Amber is really quite lovely... In this formula particularly, it is possessed of a concentrated sweetness, as though the essential oil were condensed into a "solid perfume" and secreted away into a scent locket that seconded as a cameo or pendant of sorts.

Other reviewers have remarked on All In the Golden Afternoon's Seltzer's prowess, but it took quite a bit of huffing and hyperventilation for this nose to arrive at the same conclusion, yet alone recognise the note at all. Once the note was picked out, however, it took several moments to come back to silly old reality... The Seltzer in this is brilliant! Another mystifying feat of Aromagic!

Also brilliant is the note of Sun Baked Flowers, as previously underestimated...

This does, in fact smell as though not only the local Wildflowers are drooping, penitent, before the solar onslaught, but the boquet brought along to prettify the picnic has taken to surrendering it's essences into the afternoon ether.

On the Skin: The Flowers REALLY come bursting through at this stage! The Seltzer helps with the Amping of the notes, making All In the Golden Afternoon one of the freshest and most delightful examples of floral blends!

The Pineapple smells juicy and freshly sliced, which elevates the tangy succulence of this formula...

All In the Golden Afternoon almost smells as though a tall, chilled glass of it would be the ultimate in refreshment on a scorcher of a summer's day!

All In the Golden Afternoon is a hyper real, larger than life fragrance.

A rapturous reverie.

A revelry.

A rejoicing!

On Him, All In the Golden Afternoon is lush, humid, and dreamy.

On Her, All In the Golden Afternoon is fresh, quenching, and enchantingly florid.

This one gets a 5 out of 5.

I'm a big amber fan, and I love fruits when they're done well, so I really wanted to like this. Unfortunately, it smells like laundry detergent to me.I'm a big amber fan, and I love fruits when they're done well, so I really wanted to like this. Unfortunately, it smells like laundry detergent to me.

Funny. I felt the same way as kikithepirate when I first applied it. I first smelled dryer sheets, with the application arm rested away from my face. The sun baked flowers took over the scent. Then I picked up some pineapple, amber, & apricot. I tried a second slather because it seemed bizarre to me.. same.. Then I tried rubbing the mixture around a bit... BINGO! The mixture activated and the "vision" or atmosphere of a sun-baked sweet summer picnic complete with tobacco pipes unfolded! Warrants slathering to ward off the strongest top note: flowers. :)

Swiped the imp wand across the back of my hand and took a sniff, and thought, That's weird. Fizzy pineapples or something. I swiped more oil across my hand and put some on my wrist, and sniffed again. Still getting the slightly fizzy pineapples, but with an undercurrent of amber. The scent is sweeter on my wrist than it is on my hand but the overall wafty scent is kind of a sweet, dry fruit scent with some light florals behind it. Nice, and pretty for summer. You don't want to get too close to it, because up close it smells a little weird, but when my arm is normal distance from my nose, I like it.

Sadly my skin is turning the amber to powder, like it usually does, but if it weren't for my skin chemistry messing this up I think it would be a perfectly pretty scent.

In the vial - Pineapple!

On the skin - A smooth, deep pineapple scent. Or, pineapple with tobacco. There’s a hint of other fruit here, but they’re indistinct.

Dry - Pineapple tobacco. Yum.

In the vial: Pineapple seltzer, interesting!

On Wet: Pineapple seltzer mixed with tangerine and apricot. Fruity, which isn't really my thing. This could head into shower gel scent territory.

Bit Later: Oh dear. Something's gone wrong. This smells like a cross between Spray and Wash and Irish Spring soap on me now. And it's really STRONG. :cry2:

I think I can mark this one down as all kinds of FAIL for me.

fizzy amber with strong floral notes. how does a perfume smell fizzy? i have no idea, but this does. it reminds me a lot of hymn to proserpine, actually, although that one isn't, you know, carbonated!

I guess I would have a golden afternoon wearing this if my idea of a golden afternoon consisted of fizzy detergent; but, it doesn't.

Edited by melrose

i got this as a frimp in a swap, which is the ONLY reason i am trying it ;) i do not like fruity scents, especially pineapple, but i couldn't resist trying it anyway. and actually, i am pleasantly surprised! i don't get pineapple at all...what this smells like is BBW's plumeria scent, exactly, on my skin. i used to like that scent when i was younger, but now it's too much. glad i got to try this interesting scent though!

In the imp -- pineapple, citrus, tropical punch

Wet -- lots of fruit, predominantly pineapple. It's warm and tropical with a touch of someting dry, maybe the seltzer

Dry -- suddenly there's the tobacco! I'm a little afraid for a second it's going to be nothing but, but it blends so nicely with the pineapple. These stay dominant, with a amber warmth and the lightness of the flowers somewhere in there. Overall it's warm and leafy and sort of caramel coffee-scented. A bright golden scent that makes me feel very happy and a little hungry.

So glad I tried it -- I think this will be wonderful to wear in the summer, but also a way to capture that warmth on cold winter days.