Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TygherRayn

Follow Me Boy

A houdoun recipe dating back almost 150 years. This blend is favored by prostitutes, exotic dancers and others in the sex industry for its power to attract, seduce, and enthrall. Ensures financial gain and increased profits.

Not contemplating a career move to the sex trade -- but I really like this perfume. It reminds me of my grandmother, who was emphatically NOT a prostitute or exotic dancer, but neither was she a white-haired little old lady baking cookies. She was earthy, free-spirited, adventuresome, and quite young, only 43 when I was born. Her sense of style crystalized in the 1950's and didn't budge much from there. She favored bright red lipstick, miniature poodles, and beaded curtains. And she often smelled like this perfume.

It smelled like some undefinable green, herbal scent when it first went on, but as the herbal note faded, a rose + baby powder scent took over. I waited for it to turn soapy as rose always does, and I did eventually get a bit of nose-prickle, but the ratio of rose to soap was far better in this than in any other scent I've tried. I wonder if there's something else in this that fixes the rose, or if it's not really rose at all? Or if I've been wrongly blaming rose all this time? Whatever. I'm keeping it. I wonder if this is sort of how Rose Milk hand lotion used to smell? I know that's the brand she always used, and I used to love smelling it, but I can't make a mental connection between this smell and the familiar Rose Milk bottle, only between the smell and Oma. Because of the associations with her, this perfume has a very 1950's vibe for me, of course; I can imagine Anita from West Side Story wearing this.

Both of the voodoo oils I've tried have turned out great -- I may need to start intentionally ordering from that category instead of just waiting for them to randomly appear.

In Bottle: Play dough

On Skin: Yes, I am getting a major play-dough scent from this one. It also reminds me of Dragon’s Milk a bit… is there a blood resin in here? It’s sweet and creamy but a bit too cloying and artificial. I don't sense anyone wanting to follow anyone wearing this... but not sure how it works on others... It doesn't seem sexy to me, that's for sure.

I’m not to fond of it… I don’t hate it either but I wouldn’t buy a bottle.

Bottle (Imp): Smells musky.

Just On: Pretty much the same so far.

An hour or two later: It hasn't changed a lot, but it's gotten a tad worse. Apparently my skin turns this into yuckiness. Darn skin.

Around 6 hours: It starts to sweeten up a bit.

12 hours: Ahh yes, the yuckiness is pretty much gone, and it's a little sweet, and a lot smooth.

Overall: This is one that I would probably have to put on a few hours before I plan on leaving, so that it has time to get through the initial oogeyness, and get to the good stuff. Although, it might go there faster when it's not *that* time.

After reading other reviews: Okay, it sounds like this has civet, and that means I *can* wear civet in certain blends. Another wonderful job on this one, and it goes on the 'I Want This Someday' List.

I LOVE this one! I smell honey and maybe Ylang Ylang? It makes me think of Lush's B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful shower gel for some reason. It's very sweet and a bit powdery.

This smells like dirty, unwashed jasmine on my skin :P Oddly enough, I can detect my beloved creamy vanilla bean note, but it doesn't blend very well with the "dirtiness."

This goes on to me very powdery. As I'm wearing it gets a bit more herbal and a bit more sweet, but there's a decidedly powdery undertone that remains. It seems to mingle with the skin very well, and it stays close to the skin- I don't get a lot of wafting.

I didn't try this on the guys, so I can't speak to that element. :P

This is jasmine, and a heady bubblegum-suntan one at that.

Very strong, one little dab is enough. I can't say if I'd like it or not, had I not had an emotional bond to this scent. It smells exactly like my very first perfume, the one my aunt gave me as a parting gift when I was moving out of the country. I was about 10 years old. I slathered myself with it for days, until the little bottle was almost about to run out. Then I hoarded, and kept it for many years. Eventually I misplaced it, and was very sad about it because the name had rubbed off the label years ago.

How did Beth do it? Or was my perfume also built on the old recipe the description is talking about? Many thanks to Beth and the kind Labbie who gifted me with this imp! I'll cherish this oil for the memories it brings back. :P

Follow Me Boy - OK, I can see (smell) how people are getting diaper from this. I picked it up a bit in the bottle and wet on my skin, but it has morphed now into something that is surprisingly likeable. This is NOT my sort of scent... but... it pleases me. It isn't that I sniff it and think, mmmmmm, it smells so great! It's more like I'm sitting around and the scent keeps poking at my nose and it's just... pleasant. This is definitely mood-based more than actual scent-based, since everytime I sniff it closely I think... meh. It is kind of diaper-powdery, maybe a tad old-lady-ish, but it's sweet and comforting, and I enjoy having it on. Not at all ready to buy a big bottle, but I'll keep the imp and try it a few more times to see how it grows on me.

Initial Sniff: Creamy, powdery florals and civet?

Wearing: This is actually quite nice at first, very light, creamy, and sensual. Then it turns to pure baby powder (which is a big ick for me!).

Final Impressions: No thanks! I'm not looking to attract the kind of guy who thinks baby powder is way sexy!

I got this as a freebie, which is fun since I'm hesitant to try the VB's because the ingredients are not listed.

This one is interesting. It smells like lemon icing and musk in the bottle. On my skin, the musk comes out more and might there be some sandalwood skulking about? It's kind of lemony, but it's not that strong. After about 10 minutes I can definitely smell the sandalwood and it smells a little green and a little powdery. Even later, it has turned to baby powder. Blech. Maybe there's frankincense in there?

followmeboy.jpg

Right out of the imp I thought,"Groan! Jasmine. Phffft! So what." Good thing I waited. God, this stuff is absolutly lovely when it blooms on your skin. There is a good jasmine component, but there may be basil and roses in here. It is DIVINE! Even makes me want to get fresh with myself. Nothing animalic, low down or unpleasant about Follow Me Boy.

This blend reminds me of Santo Domingo and La Petite Mort. I did try all 3 side by side last night and you could tell them apart but they had a lot of similarity overall. If you are a fan of one, you will probably love Follow Me Boy.

Also, this lasts and lasts. Just put a tiny bit on and it's been going beautifully for hours. I heartily recommend Follow Me Boy. Yummy.

Edited by olympia301

With this oil I did what's generally an unthinkable for me, and that's read the reviews before I wrote this one. My reason being is that my memory of what the reviews said and what I was getting seemed far off that I just HAD to know if I was suffering from insanity. But no, I definitely know the smells I'm getting, and they certainly don't seem to mesh with many people on here.

Wet: Sharp, sharp scent that I think is an herbal. I've noticed this one in several Voodoo blens and I am not particularly fond of it. It has the sharpness of something like pepper, but has absolutely none of the character. It's just sharp. For a moment, I'm rather fearful of the fact that something I dislike so much is on my skin.

1 minute: Whoah, a very nice transformation has taken place. The undesireable herbal note is still there, but now there's some things working with it. I do get a faint whiff of jasmine, but it's lurking in the background. There's a fairly pleasant musk scent that has surfaced -- it's nothing unpleasantly feral or dark like I find many of Beth's musk notes, particularly her civet bouqet. Also there's the very distinctive scent of a mapley brown sugar note that I imagine is vanilla + another note working together.

10 minutes: The floral/jasmine components have completely gone. Instead my skin is doing an erratic and unpredictable dance of bringing the herbal scent, the musk, and the brown sugary scent back and forth alternatingly to the foreground.

30 minutes: Eventually the musk folds into the maple sugar note, giving it more complexity.. Now the maple sugar note and the characterless sharp note exist side by side, both of them quite strong. There's something a little jarring about smelling something so warm, sweet, and golden with something so plainly astringent. I'd be liking this a lot better if the astringent note would just vanish (which it almost does occasionally, but it always comes back, making me weep.)

Follow Me Boy is an interesting scent that ranks among the higher in a BPAL category I generally have bad luck with. I certainly find it compelling, however the sharp note in this keeps me from being a completely devoted fan. All that being said, my skin seems to do weird things to this since the jasmine note vanished within minutes of me putting it on, and I didn't get any lemon scent at all from it -- two notes that many reviewers cite as prominent.

My Impression: I don't get any lemon as earlier reviews suggested. To me this is a light floral (can't identify the notes) that has been dipped in sugar and powder.

The main note I can detect is the powder. Pleasant enough but not really one that I would reach for often. :P

My very first review of my very first BPAL. So very exciting.

In the bottle, I smelled musky jasmine. Wet on my skin, the same. Interesting. After it dried down, I'm still getting. . .you guessed it. . .musky jasmine. Not bad, since I like jasmine, but usually on me it goes from jasmine to screaming sweet JASMINE, but the muskiness is keeping the screaming sweetness at bay. There is also another element that I can't identify that's not quite creamy and not quite powdery, but oddly compelling.

This is definitely a sexual scent. Another reviewer said "dirty jasmine," and that makes perfect sense to me. I can see why this blend was favored by ladies of the night. It's certainly unique, a little dirty, a little floral, a little animalistic. . .I like it. I'll have to spend some more time with it to see if it makes boys follow me. If it does, I'm thinking big bottle. If not, maybe I'll just enjoy my imp and skip the big bottle, since it's nice, but not an instant favorite.

By the way, as I was sitting at my desk writing this review, a guy I work with (whom I happen to have a huge crush on) walked by and leaned in a little too close to me and my computer screen to see what exactly I was doing that clearly wasn't work. Hmmm. . .

Lemony (in a way that doesn't just disappear or turn to vinegar on my skin) with lovely spring evening florals and a very sexy, sensual undertone. soft, sweet, heady, sugary and sex.

this is what Beltane should have been more like (which, much as I like it, was spring with the sex in soft focus)

fresh, heady, clean and dirty, innocent and experienced. it's all things.

and I swear when I wore this, people were treating me more like a lady, but in a flirty way.

No current object of affection to actually test this one on, so it's purely a sniff-test for me. This blend is powdery, as others have noted, but it's balanced out by rich florals (I'm thinking jasmine here, as I'm being reminded of LUSH's Flying Fox shower gel like woah). I find this to be a bright oil, not musky as others noses seem to deem it. I guess it's really a body chemistry thing at work from person to person.

As it dries, it turns more faint, but the richness remains in tact. I can see this as an extremely flirtatious blend as worn by someone fond of batting her lashes at prospective suitors after dabbing Follow Me Boy in her cleavage. It's a very yellow scent to me, like a pastel dress accented in lace. It's Southern summer afternoons accented by a glass of lemonade, rocking on a shaded porch to escape the humidity.

I wouldn't wear this out unless I was certain I wanted to test its voodoo properties because it does seem overtly enigmatic to me. If it does indeed boost financial success, then it will be finding its way into my rituals for certain.

what a grand scent this is :D

when i first sniffed the imp, i was like "oh no!! it is mata hari all over again"...

(mata hari and i did not work well together)...

i decided to try her out on my knee....very, very strong floral to start off....you must give this one time.......i can guarantee you, after you do, you will have the most magnificent scent known to man!!

it softens up slowly and sensually.....the floral almost completely disappears except for the slightest whisper....on me it turns into a slighty baby powder, musky and sweet or sugary concoction.....

gorgeous......amazing.......this voodoo blend rocks my world :P

In the imp: A faint lemon smell and something overpowering which I can't tell what it is.

On me: Instant baby powder, strong and nasty.

Get it off of me!

This one did not work at all, in my swap pile. :P

This one is so hard to describe. It's lovely and sweet and definitely does contain florals. But there's a creaminess to it that gives it an almost foody quality. Sort of a honeyed jasmine feel. I'm not really doing it justice, because its a lovely scent. Very very pretty.

You know, I didn't hate it, which is surprising - nay, shocking! - given that jasmine and I are mortal enemies, but I didn't love it either. It was sort of like Van Van but not as nice. Did not notice any voodoo effects - and some of the other blends in this category WORK for me, so off to swaps it went.

Edited by roesmoker

It was overpoweringly herbal on me, close to cherry cough syrup at first. Over an hour later, I'm getting faint hints of a citrus cream, but I don't like having to wait that long for it. I like the end result, but until it dies down, I smell like liniment. :P

However, I have a friend who could desperately use some love and lust mojo in her life, so I think I'll pass it on.

Edited by AngellicMystique

In the bottle: Sweet baby powder. Which is not what I typically associate with sex work, but what the hey, maybe I'm just ig'nant. Maybe something a little heavier underneath, but we'll see what it does no.

First on: Ah, jasmine, old friend. You know, it's a damn good thing I like jasmine because any blend I try that contains any trace of the stuff immediately blows up in my face with OMGWTF FLORAL. There's maybe a trace of lemon or something light and citrusy underneath, but mostly I'm getting a sweet, powdery jasmine.

Dry: The smell, she is warm. I'm trying to pin it to a particular memory and having no luck at all. There's a chemically scent that makes me think of baby wipes but I may be free-associating.

Overall: Disappointing. The boy did not actually follow me, and when asked to sniff wrinkled his nose and asked, "Why don't you just wear that stuff I like?" (Scarecrow). Someday I will find the perfect citrus-jasmine scent, this I vow.

Yes, jasmine. I had a feeling I'd see you here.

This smells just like the Flying Fox shower gel and the Godiva shampoo puck from Lush. If you're a jasmine fan, this is the perfume for you. I like jasmine, but this is a little soapy for me. I think some of the more herbal notes are toning down the richness that jasmine can achieve. Ther herbalness is giving this a bit of a soapy feel... kind of like shaving cream for legs.

Hmm... drying down this is a little more pleasant, but it takes a while to get there. Not sure about the voodoo properties of this one, I tested it while sitting next to my lova, and he didn't blink and eye.

Oh well, I've already snagged him, so no worries. :P

oh I love this! It is so lemony and fresh! like someone earlier said, "Lemon poundcake and Jasmine flowers"! I can't wait to try this out on boys!

The scent sort of has me picturing New Orleans, the French Quarter and all the voodoo shops.

It seems as though all the voodoo blends I've tried, (follow me boy, Come to Me, Fire of Love) all have this same base smell. not so much on the skin but in the bottle. And after trying Come To Me and then Fire of Love, I was a little disappointed in the voodoo blends.

I guess this reminds me a little of Come to me, except Come to me is much weaker on me. I absolutely love this scent. I might have to get a big one of it!

Edited by ancilla

Follow Me Boy

In the imp: mmm! Sweet jasmine (I think) and possibly vanilla.

Wet on skin: now some lovely lemon comes out. It’s like sugared lemon juice and vanilla and flowers…

Dry: this smells so delicious…it’s lemony and vanilla like, and I think I can smell rose in this as well-a dark, rich rose note with a slightly bitter greenness. I think jasmine might be in this too. It’s sweet, but has a tangy, or bittersweet aspect to it. It’s very nice though-but I’m not sure if I’m into it’s voodoo uses.

After a while: oh no…this scent was so lovely but this bitter note is sort of throwing things off for me. I’m not sure what this note is, but it’s latched itself to the lovely rose note and is making it smell a bit decayed. The vanilla like scent lingers round the edges, trying to redeem this scent, but I’m just not keen on this bitter note that I’m getting. I’ll leave this for a while and see if this clears. It’s a shame really, because if I don’t smell it close up, I get these wonderful soft wafts of vanilla-rose all around me which I love!

The bitter note calms down a bit and I now get the rose, tart and crisp, red and full, with a sweet vanilla (and jasmine?) coating around the edges, which tends to waft in gorgeous clouds of scent around me.

The wonderful vanilla-jasmine scent gets even better over time, becoming softer and sweeter and more delightful. And as I smell this…it reminds me more and more of Lush’s Flying Fox or Youki Hi!!!!!! And Johnson’s baby oil…and no, I don’t get civet!

Verdict: at first, this scent smelt so promising, with sugary vanilla and a soft floral note, possibly jasmine, which then became full bodied rose and possibly some lemon. However, a strange bitter note then surfaces, bonding with the rose for a while and making this smell a bit odd and sharp. This does fade away to leave a lovely rose-vanilla-jasmine scent, and the throw is wonderful-I love the wafts of vanilla I am getting from this. I’m not sure if I’d use it much, as I am not too comfortable with it’s voodoo uses yet (the prostitute/sex trade references don’t exactly attract me-however the financial gain aspect might-provided it’s not sex related financial gain!), but scent wise, it is quite pleasant and really grows on you and the drydown is exquisite, very Flying Fox/Youki Hi-like. And I do not get anything civet like from this (thank goodness!) white musk maybe, but no civet!

Another tidbit about it’s uses…well, I live in a flat full of the kinds of boys I really don’t want to be followed by, so I’d best use this sparingly!