Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht

Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

I tried this on after reading the Mead Moon and SGA reviews and almost thought I was imagining the scent - a deep, dark, complex honey, with a little apple edge. Looking at the notes: nope! :P It really was a case of 'reach into Grindhouse Ladies bag because I need to start testing them, pull it out, take imp cap off, breath deeply, slather'.

This is good! The caramel and white honey sure do play nice together! And I did actually put enough on to be able to feel it as a layer on my skin... *whistle* The cream accord and apple blossom give it a - err - creaminess. I think the teak's staying in the background, adding to the depth of the blend but in a subtle, refined, unobtrusive way.

This scent is GOOD.

(Edited to add description.) Edited by Shollin
fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

when first applied, i smell the creamy caramel and fruity apple blossom. this isn’t an overly foody “caramel apple” scent, however. it’s more subtle and complex than that. the honey is noticeable, although faint. i can’t pick out the amber and skin musk specifically but i know they’re there, adding softness and warmth. i was expecting this to be heavy and sexy along the lines of O, but it’s light and cheery. apple blossom is just such an innocent, happy note, in my opinion, and it’s paired really nicely here with the sweet caramel.

Oh my goodness...

I bought this bottle (my first one!) unsniffed, so I was really hoping I would like it. And I do!

I notice the caramel and a little whiff of apple blossom right off, and then after a bit I get a wonderful spicy scent...might be the amber. I don't get a lot of cream, but I adore the teak note. It just stays in the background and brings everything together.

My mom is not fond of it, because it's a foody scent with musk and wood, and she tends not to like foody perfumes.

But my fiancee actually admitted that he liked the scent! He never tells me that, so I'm thrilled to find one that he actually enjoys on me.

Anyway, awesome blend. I hope the rest of the CD scents I try are as wonderful.

Wet this is honey, burnt caramel and a weird celery salt (??) note. Strange. When first on this is fruity, caramel, celery salt and something really familiar. I think it's like a caramel apple smell. It's foody but in a country craft fair way. After several minutes this smells like waffles and hot brown sugar with a bit of bite to it. After a few hours this softens to a close to the skin caramel honey scent. This is a very sexy and upscale foody scent. A must try for honey lovers!

Apple, caramel and..... Celery!

Duh. Happend to me with Incubus too and to some extent with Szepaszony. Weird chemistry. Although the celery fades after a while and I am left with green apple and caramel.

To swaps with ye.

The description sounded lovely, so I had to try it. I've had bad luck with cream/caramel/honey because they amp and become burnt sugar.

Not here! Wet it is cream and floral, and a little honey.

Dry: Ambery caramel.

Just lovely. It doesn't amp, it stays nice on my skin. I'm very pleased, and a little surprised!

A 2 bottle oil. :P

In the bottle: honey, cream, and teak.

Wet: honey honey honey, apple, and teak.

Drydown: Granny Smith apples. Honey. Caramel.

Morpher. Nice. Very nice. Not really, however, the equivalent of Glowing Vulva I was hoping for.

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht - I don’t like a number of notes in this blend, so I knew before opening the bottle and sniffing that it wouldn’t agree with me. When I do smell it and then try it on my skin, it’s predominantly caramel, amber, and teak, but mostly caramel. There’s a hint of the cream accord noted in the scent description. I don’t smell the honey or skin musk at all, and the apple blossom does not turn soapy on me as it usually does. It reminds me a lot of Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy in its woody gooiness. The throw and staying power are both above average.

I tried 3 different imps of this each one went startingly to HAIRSPRAY on me (the old aqua-net hairspray not the new nice-smelling ones). Given the notes - I should love this, but my chemistry does not agree with something in the blend (I must figure it out so I know not to get mixed up with it again) - very sad that this blend and I don't mix well...

This scent is mainly Caramel single-note on me. It's very rich and sweet. It's like the caramel note from Red Lantern.

I like it, but it's a little too intensely foody and thick to be something I would reach for.

3.7 out of 5

ADDED Aug. 19:

I don't like caramel as a note in perfume, and it's pretty dominant for me here, so I can't say this scent appeals to me much.

I can't really even pick any other notes out, all I can smell is sickly thick sweet caramel.

Well, I guess I am smelling the teakwood after the drydown.

Too sweet for me though.

3.4 out of 5

IN THE IMP: Caramel, with light apple blossom in front.

WET: Caramel apple and a bit of honey, but somehow not intensely foody.

DRY: Mostly a warm caramel, with a hint of slightly tart apple. But again, not overly foody. Less complex than I had hoped, but still very yummy.

In the imp...honey, but a light honey. Delicate and sweet, but with the amber coming up behind it, it doesn't wind up cloying.

Wet...the honey and amber are there, but while I'm getting the apple, and it's a boozy apple, one that I can smell off my wrist while I sit here typing. I have a feeling the boozy note is actually the teak.

Dry...here's the musk, and it's hot! This? Is amazing! I think I could get addicted to smelling this good!

Later on though, the caramel goes all plastic-y and nasty. Sadly, this had huge potential, and then my skin let it down.

Edited by maikastar

I am hoping for apples and honey (oh gods, can someone please make me a tangy apple honey scent? I would BATHE in it).

In the imp: Cream, and a scent that reminds me of something...it's elusive, and it's going to drive me nuts until I remember what it is, this little sharp "hook" of smell at the very top that I know I have smelled before in a very specific instance, and yet I can't quite grasp it...it was very long ago, early childhood, I think...

Wet: Cream, honey, amber, caramel.

Dry: Amber, cream, musk, here comes the teak. No apple blossom. :P Honey at the base. It's beautiful, but it reminds me of Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge, which I already have. The perfume, not the glowing vulva.

And judging by Sir's reaction, this is one more imp to keep but not a bottle to buy. phew.

In the vial: cream, apple, caramel and amber, with a hint of teak. Foody, yet not quite foody.

Wet on skin: sweet, creamy, apple-y and gorgeous! It reminds me strongly of Creepy, but there's much more going on here than in Creepy! A dark, sexy musk swirls in the background with amber and teak, until it's quite masculine! At this point, the cream starts to go a little sour.

Dry on skin: I can smell all the notes and I'm not sure what to make of them combined! Gooey caramel and sharp apple are fighting over whether the cream is going to be sour or not, teak is always masculine on me, and I'm not sure where the spice note is coming from. There was a brief sawdust-and-yoghurt phase, but it keeps morphing. Definitely intriguing, but not for me.

Great lasting power! 12 hours later I could still smell this on my arm!

In the bottle: Medium golden-peachy coloured oil. Burnt sugar caramel hits first, then some ripe apple - making me think of caramel apples, appropriately - with fainter honey, teak, and amber. Quite sweet, slightly powdery.

Wet: Much lighter and less sugary-sweet on my skin; more fruit, less caramel. The floral aspect of the apple blossom is delicately present, amplified by the delicious honey. The cream has emerged and seems to dampen the amber's powder, keeping this velvety in feel - and the smooth depth of the teak as it amps adds to this.

Dry: The apple-fruit is fading a bit, but the floral-blossom is holding nicely. Amber turns a bit more powdery, but not excessively. The cream-caramel combo on top of the amber is almost too rich - there's a heaviness to this scent.

Later: The amber goes further to powder, and the teak amps up, gaining a dry edge. The caramel has backed down a bit, but is still just too sweet and foody for my tastes. Honey and apple blossom greatly diminished.

Summary: Rich, powdery amber and velvety cream with deep, slightly dry teak and sugary, intense caramel. Faint honey and apple blossom provide distant fruity and floral notes. Languid, heavy, womanly. Sweet and foody. Decent throw, great lasting power.

The amber and caramel don't work for me, alas. I do love the other notes in this, so it's a shame.

Initial impression:

Cream, honey and caramel – a sweet and dizzying scent so far!

First on:

It's mainly honey (yum!) and caramel on my skin, but with a creamy undertone, and a faint whisper of apple blossom.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, the caramel is a little sickly on me. Ugh. Not getting much else at this stage.

...and it sticks. It's pure caramel – burnt caramel. Damn you, skin chemistry.

Finally:

When will I learn? Caramel is a no-no. Swapping/selling this lady.

damn, i thought caramel would be the deal-breaker here, but it's the teak. i get a weird sharp-wooden smell from teak that is just totally unenjoyable. all the other notes work on me though and this would be a drop-dead gorgeous scent if it weren't for the teak adding a wonkiness to it.

it's been years since i tried this and was frimped the latest version:

this smells very apple-y sweet at first. i think it's honey and apples. my impression seems quite different from the past, where apparently, i didn't get apples at all! i don't wear many fruity scents, so i'm not sure about this. after a couple of minutes i get some woods, and yes theyre a bit sharp, but not too sharp and some cream accord. the apple seems to be giving me a headache. it's a very green granny smith sour apple (which i love the taste of) but it's not really what i want to smell like. after a few more minutes, this changes completely-the caramel comes out and improves the scent for me, but it's still too sweet and appley for my personal tastes, plus i seem to amp the caramel and apple quite a bit.

Edited by theseagrows

First Sniff: Creamy, golden amber & apple with a touch of honey.

On Skin: Nothing much changes here. It is very creamy and the honey is trying to break through all the other notes. I think there may be too much going on for my sniffer to handle. I am really not a fan of honey, and with the addition of other sweet notes like caramel, skin musk and cream accord it honestly is just to much for me.

Drydown: I can rarely detect apple blossom, and it was helping to tone down the sweetness. Unfortunately I can't smell teak either.

Final thoughts: Too sweet and cloying for me. I was hoping for more teak, apple blossom and amber.

Edited by Schmoozy

Given the listed notes in this, it was a shoe-in for me to buy a bottle unsniffed. I love creamy, foody scents with little earthier touches (like teak, here). Unfortunately, its not at all what I envisioned. While I was expecting a creamy buttery amber with some pleasant wood notes, it manifests as a dirty (like a dirty patchouli-ish scent, not actual dirt) burnt caramel. Actually, its even more unsettling than that. Someone above had a celery skin reaction, and I think this is similar. Like dirty celery crusted wtih burning caramel... It reminds me a lot of what ventriliquist dummy did on my skin, and that was an unpleasant thing indeed. Alas, not all caramels are for me, and this is one of those. So sad, but I will find her a better home.

In the imp: Caramel with a hint of apple

On me: It stays pretty true to the imp smell on my skin - lots of caramel supported by apples. There's a bit of amber keeping it from being completely foody. As it dries, the apple comes out a bit more and battles with the caramel for dominance. This scent is nice, and a good level of sweetness for me, but I'm not a big fan of the caramel note. I'm okay with caramel if it's in the background, but this is a bit too much.

Initial application: Holy sweet caramel Batman! Rich, sticky, uber-sweet caramel.

Dry on the skin: Caramel and apple blossoms.

Further dry: Caramel and wood shavings. :P

Too sweet and foody for my personal taste, and then the teak further ruined the scent for me. Oh well, more for others right?

I was afraid of the caramel and apple blossom, but all the other notes called my name.

In the bottle, this has a very sweet caramel scent- I was almost afraid to try it since this much caramel usually turns sickly-sweet on me and makes me wash it off right away.

Wet- Caramel and some light honey (yeah!) but not horridly sweet.

Initial dry- Caramel, honey, and light cream emerges- yum! But still mostly caramel.

Late dry- OMG, this is awesome! The caramel is still there, but it is a lot more mellow. I've never had a BPAL caramel turn so tame on me- its more of a color than a scent, if that makes any sense. The honey and cream dance behind the caramel. I get a touch of what seems to be lightly spicy amber- mmmm! And when I take a deep whiff, the end of the sniff catches the most beautiful skin musk that just makes me want to die of happiness! :P So sad that the musk isn't more up-front, though.

This has long staying power on me, so I can thankfully ignore the wet and early dry stages to enjoy the later dry-down for a good long time.

Overall impression- love it and worth a back-up bottle. Second favorite of the ladies behind Marianne, and makes up for Illustrated Woman going all perfumey and wrong on me.

In the vial: Caramel honeyed cream with a sweet and rich base. This is the first really foodie BPAL scent I've actually wanted to eat.

Wet: Caramel recedes, and a floral amps. I like it much better as a perfume now!

Twenty minutes: Wow. I can make out pretty much every note of this individually, but the totality is kind of indescribable. Caramel-teak-honey-musk is the best way I can describe it. It's fascinating, foodie, and I'm not sure I'd want to smell this way often, but it's really interesting.

Two hours: Honey and cream on a teakwood table, with a side of amber. It's very nice, but I think I'd rather be on the other end of this scent, i.e., sniffing it on somebody. I keep sniffing at it, though, as I go about my day. It's very beguiling.

Three hours: Amber-honey with something else, maybe the cream? Still smells wonderful, but I don't think I need more than the partial imp I have.

BPAL's cream note often goes rather sour on my skin, but anything with caramel, honey and amber has to be purchased. It's the law.

In the vial - This smells delicious! It's thick, dark caramel and apple blossom with just a hint of woody dryness.

Wet on the skin - Bright, sweet apple blossom and brown sugar. I don't actually smell much amber or any of the other notes, but I'll give it time.

Next stages - Within five minutes, the cream note begins to emerge. I've got lucky - it's not sour in the slightest; just rich and thick and seductive.

Dry down - Perhaps not as musky or spicy as I was expecting, but it's a lovely, foody scent for the autumn.

Similar scents - Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple, Anactoria

Oh man, at the beginning this is apple and honey and I swear the apple blossom actually makes me think of lilies. So it's more of a honeyed lily thing going on. As it dries, the amber and cream become more prominant.

And the amber turns powdery and the cream curdles.

You get the picture.

It didn't work out.