Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

In Bottle: Berries and a light floral.

On Skin: The berries are very strong. Sweet and purple… and very juicy. The heather is a soft floral that flows perfect with the berries. A very pretty innocent scent. It goes a little soapy on me after about 5 minutes, shich is nice and fresh and opens my eyes, but not really a perfume scent for me. After 10 minutes it’s a pure soapy ozone scent… hmmm… interesting… Edited by Shollin

In the imp: yum! Berry with a hint of heather.

Wet: lots of heather now. It's soft and pretty but perhaps not for me.

Drydown: Too much heather for me, almost no berry whatsoever. Which is probably what a scent called Glasgow *should* be :-) I'm just not a fan of this much heather.

darn it, i don’t smell any blackberries! normally i love the lab’s berry scents because they are so luscious and fruity, but this one’s not working for me. the heather smells clean and fresh, like walking through a field in springtime. and that’s it – after 20 minute still no berries :P

Glasgow is mostly tart, slightly sugary blackberries with a hint of a sort of green floral. The green floral is probably the heather, but I can't really discern it as that as I've seen a lot of heather, but not had the chance to take a sniff! It dries down to blackberry soap and freshly washed clothes, which is nice, but doesn't really grab me.

Wet this is sweet florals mixed with a sharp green note. When first on this is fresh green grass and aquatic notes, breezy. After a few minutes there's a sweet floral note- hyacinth maybe? After about an hour this has become a lovely soft rose. This is a soft, feminine, wispy scent. This is quite nice but not very long lasting on me.

A fruity floral that dries out to a sweet, dusty herbal scent. A bit more rosey than I expected. I'm not sure this is for me. I may have to hold onto it for warmer weather. I get the Mr. Bubble connection. It is also reminding me of Zombi...that unnerving old floral smell. It is a little creepy, but also clean and fruity.

Wow, I'm getting something completely different here.

Violet is center stage, and underneath it is something green and herby--maybe that's the heather, but I'm not familiar with heather, and whatever this is, reminds me of lavender. I get no berry at all.

Violet? Is there even violet in this? Or is my nose on crack?

Glasgow

In the imp: I think I can smell heather-it’s a cool, breezy heather, slightly floral, slightly herbal-almost like fern or moss, with the blackberries underneath.

Wet on skin: very pretty! It’s a purple scent, and it’s very cold in feel, like a mountain breeze.

Dry: I quite like this! I’ve never been to Scotland but this is what I’d imagine a cold wind blowing over the Highlands would smell like if bottled and concentrated…here’s another example of how these Wanderlust scents even capture the climate of a place-the scent is bracing and cool, quite damp as well, and windy. Very much like Scottish weather! It has this earthy, almost ferny or mossy heather scent, with a deeper undercurrent of tangy-sweet blackberries. It’s a bit soapy but not in a bad way-the scent is clean. I’d imagine there might be an ozone note in this as well, which would account for the airy freshness the scent has.

After a while: this stays very much the same, except it loses that fresh feel it initially has and the berry and heather notes merge. Sometimes it gets soapy, but it’s not in a bad way. It reminds me of a pleasant soap I’ve smelt before, can’t remember where. Overall, this blend doesn’t have the strong berry note that Bewitched has-I get heather more in here. After about 3 hours, the scent has faded quite a bit, I get a slight heather scent on my skin.

Verdict: while not what I’d imagine the city of Glasgow to smell like, this scent is very evocative of the moors and mountains of Scotland-right down to the cold, blustery damp weather! This scent is bracing and fresh with a feel of moisture, like rain and wind, the heather note reminds me of moss or ferns with a hint of wet soil, only fuller and more floral and with a definite ‘purple’ aspect, enhanced by the juicy tangy scent of blackberries. The scent is clean, and at times a tiny bit soapy, and I wonder if there’s a bit of ozone in here as well. I’m not sure if I need a bottle but I’m keeping the imp as this is another one of those wonderful examples of Wanderlust scents that really transports your nose to another place in the world.

In the imp: Heather. With a hint of something sweet

Wet: Yup, heather. A very green, herbal scent. No blackberries to speak of.

Dry 5 minutes: This smells damp and cool, like a misty day. It's very fitting for the heather. There is something sweet in this, adding to the wet/cool/green. It doesn't smell like blackberries to me.

Dry 25 minutes: It goes a little soapy. Not the scent itself, but the feeling of the scent. More sweetness is coming out.

Dry 45 minutes: The heather and the blackberries...which isn't a 'berry' scent to me, but rather more like standing next to a plant with full canes of fruit...mix nicely together, neither one is overpowering the other.

Dry 2 hours: Still a lovely, subtle mix. I feel like I'm out for a walk on a misty, early autumn morning. It's got a pretty good throw. I was asked about it by the cashier at Target.

Overall: This is a really pretty scent. It lasts about four or five hours on me, but goes very quiet after about the third. I'm not sure if it's 'me' but it certainly is nice.

My very first review, not sure if my nose is trained enough lol, but I'll give it a go ...

In the imp: I like how distintive it is, I smell mostly the blackberries.

Wet on skin: Purple! I still smell the blackberries the most ...

Drydown: Just lovely, the blackberries give way to the heather. It also has a beautiful aquatic note to my nose, sort of salty. To me it smells like laying on a cliff in Scotland in tall grasses with heather growing near by and hearing the waves of the ocean rolling in. I only smell a hint of the blackberries now, just enough so its not too much heather for me. It is a little soapy but not a bad soapy. I really like it. I think a big bottle might be called for.

Meggie :P

Imp

Amazing! Tart berries in forrest bed. The smell is very green, wet, and outdoorsy. Gorgeous! Something smells almost peppery, but very natural.

Wet

Wet, this smells just as strong and glorious as in the imp. I guess this is the smell of heather. This is gorgeous stuff.

Dry

Dry this smells the SAME but lighter (I have never had a scent that does not change!). I LOVE this. It smells the way a lovely summer night does.

MMMM

Out of the first set of imps I got I think this is my fave. I put it on for a rainy day and it was perfect! Sweet and comforting but not too sweet. Just delicious. I love berries!

In the imp this smells really soapy to me. REALLY. It hits the back of my throat like I've just inhaled some liquid hand soap. It's high quality, pretty hand soap, but soap nonetheless.

It sort of stays the same when I put it on. I'm not smelling any of the berries, but my skin seems to think the floral soapy-ness is SO grand that my whole neighborhood needs to smell it.

It's softening now, and I almost like it. Almost. But my skin won't relent on that blasted soap.

(Wow. Note the excessive usage of the word "soap" in this review. It's almost awe inspiring. Almost.)

Glasgow

First Sniff:

My first review, so I’m going to be crap at this. I can’t distinguish any notes at this stage… it is intriguing however.

Wet:

It’s not a scent I would associate with blackberries, so I presume that’s the heather. Reminds me of old lady soap at this point, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, if that makes any sense. It’s perfume-y.

Drying:

Ok, now I understand where the “rosy heather” comes into it. I like this; it’s pretty.

After a Few Hours:

This has softened quite a bit. (Baby powder?) Faded quite a bit also, not nearly as strong.

Overall Impressions:

I’ll keep the imp, but not so sure about a bottle. This would be a good lazy weekend scent.

Rating:

5.5/10

Edited by jakey

straight from the imp i get the soury scent of blackberry...

upon application the blackberry really amps up and then the

gentle scent of heather...interestingly enough the rose in this

blend is extremely subdued with my chemistry ... quite lovely!!!

this is a very unique scent that i think i will keep around for awhile :P

Frimp from the generous Labbies! :P I want to like this quite badly, but all the comparisons to bathroom cleaner have sort of got me skittish. Also, I have no idea at all what heather smells like. (Oh, yes, and caveat lector... my uterus is trying to wring itself out like a dishcloth at the moment, so YMMV.)

In the Imp: ...... uh. Yeah. Cleaning product. Definitely. Is that the heather, that airy zingy bright note that reminds me of the way lamb's ear feels? I guess so. The blackberries are surprisingly pale, too, just a faint twinkle of fruit and not at all the full, ripe berries I was expecting. I'm not sure I like this. It is very.... cleanser-esque. But hey, who know what'll be like on, right?

Wet: Something florally-soft-clean-sour. The two notes are extremely well-balanced, I'll say that, but the overall impression has a sort of powdery artificial Sweet Tart-like quality that really does remind me of that sink-scrubber stuff that comes in a round canister. It's also giving me the urge to sneeze. It's the heather, I think... perhaps the blackberries will come out more on the drydown? *hopeful*

Dry: Glasgow must have some notably clean bathrooms or something, that's all I can figure. The blackberries are trying to come out to play, I can smell them poking their heads around the corner, but the heather is overpowering, and it's playing surprisingly rough for such a delicate, clean scent. What's more, this is already starting to fade on me, and as it does it's turning to soap.

I'll hang on to this and test it again at a different time of the month, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. It sounds like my reaction isn't all that unusual... so this is probably off to swaps, and I'll have to check out Bewitched for my greenery-blackberry goodness. I have the most random luck with the Wanderlust blends!

In the vial: Light fruity sweetness. Must be the blackberry.

Wet on me: Smells refreshing ... hmm, soap? Hey, where'd the berry go?

Drydown: Yep, smells like a bath soap. A floral scented bath soap. Fresh from the shower using a girly-girl soap smell.

Later on: Heather takes over and gives other notes no chance.

Verdict: Don't see myself wearing this one. Waay too floral. To the swaps it goes.

Edited by mandragora

Swapped this with a friend who didn't like it at all - but for me, the promise of the description definitely came through!

Imp: Lovely wild berry scent. Very fresh.

Wet: Sweeter but still fresh. Berries and heather and moist grass.

Dry: There's a lemony twist for a bit, but still berries and grass. After a while it gets sweeter again.

Overall impression: Lovely fresh spring scent. Really makes me see Scotland's highlands on a sunny day with a cool breeze. Beautiful!

In the imp: sweet berries with a hint of something dry that I can't place.

On my skin: very tart berries with a powdery-perfume scent underlying the fruit.

Drydown: even tarter, almost sour, and the powder scent amps up.

Overall: it's nice but not my cup of tea. If you like the tart berries like blackcurrent and blueberries, you will love this one.

I didn't get much berry from this one. To me it smells like soap - elegant soap, to be sure, but soap nonetheless. I expected heather to smell more herbal, when I think it's actually more of a floral note here. I don't usually have a problem with Beth's rose oils, so I'm going to say it's the heather with that soapy/powdery quality.

First Impression: Purple, airy floral with a touch of sea mist.

Dries down to: Berries and heather.

Additional Comments: The heather and blackberries are nicely balanced and work well together, but it's just not doing that much for me and I had expected to really like this one.

Lasted: All day.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

NOTE: I've got to admit I'm still getting over a cold so my sniffer might not be at it's best right now.

vial ~ That sweet note I'm smelling which is sort of sweet and soft and 'floral' must be the heather note. But I must not like heather because it comes off as being too sweet for my tastes. It's sort of like a grabby, prickly sweet like a way-too-pink Barbie accessory. I guess 'cloying' is the word I'm searching for.

There is a hint of softly-fruity berries(that I like!) buried behind the stinky heather note. But it's just not enough to save this scent for me. I think it'll have to go in my 'swap pile'. Maybe my skin chemistry will surprise me? Overall there is a soapy tinge.

wet ~ The heather note is standing out and much to my delight it seems to be 'softening'.

dry ~ This is becoming more 'traditional perfumey' on me as it dries. It's becoming lighter and more airy and gently sweet. I'm liking it more now. But now I'm thinking it's too light! Wait, stronger notes of berry are wafting up to me. Oh! Now it's like a berry harvest!! The berry is really blossoming out! I smell bountiful baskets full of ripe, juicy blackberries. Mmm. I just had to be patient and wait for it, silly me! Beth is a genius!!! This is beautiful!(And yummy) :P

It reminde me of the vintage scented My Little Ponies. I had a Vintage pony with bubbles and fluffy hair and she smelled just like this! It's a happy memory. :0)

Alas, I don't think I'll find an occasion to wear this pretty scent. It's very lovely and I recommend it highly as the description is perfect for it. But it just isn't 'me' very much.

EDIT: Oh no.... now it's gone all to soap on my skin. Definitely a swap imp. :D

Edited by amberlox

In the bottle: a fresh vegetal scent.

Wet: A slightly tart berry scent appears out of the greenery.

Drydown: A very breezy green scent, possibly ozone in there. From underneath it comes a pink, slightly woody heather scent. The berries are extremely discrete.

Overall: A very fleeting scent, breezy and green with a hint of pink flowers, nice if you're into very fresh perfumes. It has more staying power than I'd expected (I thought it would fade after less than half an hour), and it smells pleasant. However, I'm not a huge fan.

Edited by Meg

In the vial:

Sort of a zesty natural smell, not quite floral but not quite herbal

On me:

Nope, that's herbal. I've never smelled heather before so I couldn't really identify it, but now I imagine it must be a sort of herbally smelling floral. This is actually quite pungent smelling in that herbal way and it's backed by a sort of tangy note - which is the blackberries. They are sweet or fruity, just tangy and tart and make for an interesting combo with that herbal smell.

After a long while, when this scent has had time to fade on me, it comes off as a very soft pink smell with a very very soft sweetness to it.

Final note:

It's a little too pungent for me, and though it fades into a soft pretty scent, I don't really want to wear it for an hour before it gets to a scent I "kinda" like.

One of my favorite things when commuting by bike during the warm months is passing this empty lot filled with blackberry brambles. In the afternoon, after the sun has warmed them all day, they give off the most delicious fragrance ever, and I breathe deeply not just because it's at the top of a hill, but because it smells so good. This is what Glasgow started off for me, but there's a woody, herbal scent in there too, and in the end it went cloyingly soapy, probably because of the heather. Too bad. I really wanted that summer blackberry fragrance to stay.