Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

I love Bewitched and I love heather as well, so I was excited to try this. I love the scent of it, it is as others have described and definitley makes me feel a lightness and airy loveliness as being in a field... but it disappears very quickly on me, unfortunately.

I could try it in a spray and see if it lasts longer. Otherwise I will slather it while Ive got it.

this reminds me strangely of a cross between Gloria Vanderbilt (i probably misspelled that.)'s perfume from the early 80's and Diane Von Furstenburg's perfume Tatiana.

i know the smell of blackberries (this is Georgia... they're *everywhere*) and i know the smell of heather... and what i get from this oil is neither.

lovely, which is why i had to buy a bottle, but ..... i'm not sure how to describe it.

rather like the drydown phase of Nosferatu or like Sudha Segara were it a little floral-ier

In the vial: Something juicy, the blackberries. Hint of heather underneath.

Wet on the skin: Hi heather, nice to meet you. Woah. I have lost almost all of that juicy blackberry. Good thing heather is one of the few florals I do like.

On drydown: This is a very perfumy heather/floral scent. I say that because there is other florals at play in this one. I like it a little bit but I am not sure I can wear this (my skin chemistry hates florals, I tend to like florals as room scents). Off to the swaps she goes.

I'm getting more of the heather from this than I am the blackberry, and I had to check to see to see if there was rose in this, because I get a lot of the rose here, too. The blackberry does creep in from time to time, toning down and rounding out the florals. This really does remind me of having been in Scotland briefly as a teenager, and the happy memories of travelling through. The imp is most definitely a keeper, and it's on my potential bottle list now. :P

Funnily, I've had Glasgow for months now, and although I liked it the first time I tried it, I wasn't a huge fan immediately, so I left it alone for a while after that. But for some reason or another, I picked it up again two days ago, and I've just been wearing it non-stop since then, because it just smells so good.

The oil from the bottle and wet on skin smells very tartly floral, but soon mutes into a soft, downy scent that I suspect is the heather. It never turns really powdery on me though; every so often I get a whiff of berry, and it's not an overwhelmingly edible fruity smell -- just tart enough to accent the scent and keep it from being sweetly drab.

I think this is going to be a bottle order the next time I buy from the lab. <3

Edited by monozuki

This is unexcitingly sweet floral on me, but as a room scent, it glows. The heather and floral form a wonderful dusty outdoors sort of scent, and the blackberry adds a lovely tartness without going all syrupy. I swapped it off for something I wanted more, since I don't use room scents very often these days, but I should try to snag another imp some time.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this or not -- I know I really like the blackberry note in Bewitched, but wasn't too sure about the heather. I fear florals, because they tend to amp a lot on my skin.

When sniffed in the imp and freshly applied, though, the blackberry definitely ruled -- it was a rich, fruity scent, with undertones behind it that smelled more herbal than floral. Very nice.

But on drydown, the heather came out more, and my skin did amp it a bit. Never to the point where it was unbearable, but I did find myself enjoying it less. It also seemed at one point to be fading fast, but then it hit a sort of plateau and hung in there at a low level for longer than I had thought it would. This would have been good, except for the fact that by that point it was a lot more heather than blackberry.

Still, it's not a total writeoff. It's a light, fresh scent of the sort that I tend to like to wear in the spring, so I'll probably put it away and save it for then.

Grade: B

This one smells basically like what it contains: blackberry and heather. In the bottle and wet, the blackberry seems to come out more. Once it dries, the heather comes out more strongly to make it a yummy fruity floral. I apparently love the fruity floral scents because this one and Persephone are two of my favorite BPAL scents, with Glasgow being a bit less "Ta-da, smell me, smell me!" than Persephone. I have been wearing it quite often lately and I am going to have to invest in a bottle because my imp is over half empty.

Pretty, but very soft. Also, I may be having my first BPAL allergic reaction. The place where I put it is all pink and raised. Hmm. Maybe it's a coincidence. The scent itself is a mixed floral and fruity, but I don't have a good enough nose to go "hey, blackberry and heather!"

I can smell the blackberry, but the other scent is very enthusiastic, leaving the blackberry as a muted purple note in the background. I don’t know what heather is supposed to smell like, but this scent actually seems more complex than two notes.

As it starts to dry, the throw manifests, and I notice that the throw smells much more blackberry than my wrist does. It is still not “true” blackberry -- I can figure out that it’s blackberry, but that’s by reading the description, not because I would smell it on my own and think, “hey, blackberry!” Still, it’s a nice blend.

The complexity seems to be fading as it dries, and, as it does so, the blackberry gets a bit more convincing. The impression of “nice” remains -- it’s not bad, but it’s hardly knocking me off my feet. It’s gained a warmth that I associate with the way blackberries legitimately smell, which is neat.

Perhaps the biggest accolade I can give it is this: I was thinking about which scent I should put on my other wrist before going to work, since I’m doing so much testing, and then I thought... no, this is good enough; I don’t want to risk putting on something that I don’t like that would spoil it. Glasgow is a pleasant, light purple scent, and I’ll be happy to smell like this today.

Wet: Very floral, to the point of rosy.

Dry: This is all heather on me, and I find it divine during the dry-down.

Sadly, this disappears fast. So fast, in fact, that I have been slathering and am at the end of my imp in two days, and yet I don't think I've been a walking scent cloud despite all of the oil I've had to use.

It was lovely while it lasted. I may get it again one day, but it won't be at the top of my list until I try more BPAL scents (I'm a newbie).

Maybe my nose is going crazy... but this reminds me of some note in Kweku Anansi. Could there be blackberry or heather in Anansi?

Of course, this is not dark or heavy, or earthy, but still there seems to be a common fizzy kind of note in both. I love Anansi, and Glasgow is gorgeous on me as well.

It's soft and juicy, fresh petals, a bit of air, a delicate sweetness. Love it. End of message.

I was a bit worried when I first sniffed this imp, because berries can be really strong on my skin. I've pretty much avoided them since my teens, but the combination with the heather was intriguing. In the wet stage, blackberry was dominant, but it's not as much of a screaming berry scent as raspberry. When it dried a bit, the combo of heather and blackberry melded well - I couldn't really pick out the individual scents. Glasgow is definitely a nice light daytime scent.

I had high hopes for this one, but on me it smells like toothpaste. Maybe berry toothpaste, possibly. It's not particularly minty - I guess it's like toothpaste that's been used, when it's all frothy and no longer has much of a taste. That's a totally nasty mental picture, but there you are.

In the bottle: A most wonderful mix of heather and blackberry. I just wanted to sit and smell it for hours.

Wet: Blackberry! I almost wanted to gnaw on my wrist, it smelled so edible. The heather was just a faint background scent here.

Drying: The blackberry slowly began to fade, leaving the smell more and more floral as it begins to fade away.

All in all, I would highly reccomend this scent. Most excellent. ^^

I tend not to do well with florals, but i have to try all the imps that come my way, so... :P

Oh, the main note is definitely the heather, and my body does not like it one bit. This one is just an overpowering floral on me...

This is pretty and fresh, but teeters on the edge of air freshener on me. Wish I knew what blackberry and heather smell like on their own so I could appreciate this more. I think I like the drydown best: the berryish note is subdued and I get a nice, fresh, almost-haylike floral scent.

I have to say, I was leery of Glasgow because of the blackberry note, and I really don't like smelling like food. I gave it a shot, though, and was pleasantly surprised.

In the imp – juicy berries over roses.

Wet/Drydown – getting wetter and greener. Getting more heather. Pleasantly, sharply, greenly herbal with a yummy berry overcoat. Still roses in there. The floral aspect is a very earthy, wet, gardeny floral – I almost get the sharp must of earth/dirt, which grounds the berries and keeps them from being too sweet and foody.

Dry – Sweetens up, loses a bit of the sharp green herbal note and blackberry becomes dominant. There’s still an earthy/herbal background though, which again keeps the berries from being too sticky and sweet. Beautiful!

I love Glasgow!! Definitely a big bottle purchase.

Very light. Something that might have been the berries but now most definitely the heather. The berries in Florence came out strongly so I'm waiting for them here. Rather reminds me of a dryer sheet, but less strong. It's a very fresh scent. Maybe too fresh for me.

Freshness is becoming more tolerable. A bit of the berry to soften it, but not as much as I'd hoped for.

Disappearing and then coming back as dried heather.

This starts off juicy, slightly tart blackberry. Then the heather joins in. As Glasgow dries down, its all heather. Its a lovely and delicate floral that vaguely reminds me of rose. I used to have a heather plant but I don't recall it smelling this nice! I really like Glasgow so I will probably be ordering a bottle in the near future. :P

This is one I would definitely classify as a floral; in the vial, I can barely detect a bit of a wild sweetness, which I'm assuming is the blackberry, along with a very traditional perfumey feel. I really suck at notes.

On me, this is a dead ringer for an old Avon fragrance that I wore as a young girl, called Roses, Roses. I wasn't expecting the rose scent, but that may just be my nose's interpretation of the heather. Overall, I would describe this as a very light-throwing, innocent scent that is actually quite lovely. I'm not sure I would purchase a big bottle, but will definitely keep the imp to recall my lost youth.

Edited by Peaches

I love this! Blackberry is one of my favorite notes, and the heather gives it a softer, less tart feeling that in something like Bewitched or The Oblation. This is very similar to the L'aromarine Mure Musc that I'm addicted to in summertime; I have a feeling Glasgow will get a lot of wear this year too!

Aaah...I had wanted to try this forever, it seemed - the only thing putting me off was a fear that the heather would be too floral of a note. But it is the perfect scent of a grassy, herb-filled field, with a touch of blue flowers and a smattering of blackberry bushes. So gorgeous.