Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

"The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather."

In the bottle, something rainy and clean, and . . . roses? Soft little roses. There's a sweet punch to it, but I can't identify what that is.

This is floral on, but since I don't know what heather smells like . . . yeah, have I said I'm bad with florals? I can pick you a grain of musk or amber out of a sandbox, but florals are just written in a smell-language I don't share. I'm not getting any blackberry from it, just a soft, powdery, fuzzy floral that is pleasant enough and reminds me very strongly of something I can't quite place.

It doesn't change much. I like it, but it's not blowing me over, and it's very powdery and dry. In the bottle it's nothing like, but on my skin it smells quite a bit like Zombi without the delicious wetness and the thick rose that make that scent so agreeable. Also smells a bit like Old Scratch wound up smelling on one of my "off" days.

It's not bad, but I have a feeling that it's just not formulated for my chemistry, and isn't doing what it's supposed to on me.

Edited by Naamah_Darling

In the imp: blackberry and green sap and florals.

On me, wet: yow, lots of heather but just a dash of berries and a lot of damp, moist ozone. Given that I've almost never seen Glasgow when it wasn't either night-time or raining or both, wet air seems about right. There's a bit more soapy powderiness to this than I like, though.

On me, dry: sweet powdery floral herbiness. I think the heather took over - what isn't powdery and sweet is very sappy and green with just a hint of florals. It's actually not unpleasant, but not wonderful either.

Verdict: This isn't terrible but not wonderful either. Swap pile time!

A freebie from the Lab. On me, it immediately turned into such a powdery old-lady floral that I had to wash it off before I broke out in doilies. I rechristened it Grannytown and gave the imp to my mother, who fell in love with it. I ordered her a 5ml, which she is eagerly anticipating.

Got it from a swap. In the bottle it smelled clean but sweet, so I was afraid the berry note was going to overpower things, and it did for a while on my skin.

Now it's dried down into something powdery, but clean with that same hint of berry.

Not too sure about it--it's not as bad as the plum blossom notes in Peony Moon and Budding Moon, but I guess I need to try it again before making a decision.

In the vial: Sweet and watery, with a bit of berryliciousness.

On me, wet: Mmm a nice light and sweet heather, subtle, but lovely. Not too green and not too sweet. A lovely balance. The berries poke their heads out every so often and add a little juiciness, and the heather keeps things green.

On me, dry: Very delicate and skin-hugging watery berry sweetness. I am constantly sniffing my wrist.

Verdict: I love the simplicity and fresh sweetness of this perfume. It's just berry enough for my sweet tooth, and not so much heather that I choke on floral. Plus, it's unobtrusive and light. One of my favorites. I'll be getting a big bottle of this eventually.

Could have sworn I'd reviewed Glasgow.

Wet: Is it bad that I don't smell anything? What's there is extremely light and young. Breezy scent that vanished within minutes of applying.

Oh well.

edited for typing erorrs.

Edited by yellowrose

It's a fruity scent that isn't at all fruity, but warm and natural. I'd been eyeing it to try out when I got it as a frimp, so it worked out quite well.

I can definitely pick up the blackberry in it, but they're not packaged or processed or juiced blackberries, but rather blackberries still on the bush. It reminds me of ambling through the woods with one of the miniature horses my father's friend used to raise, picking blackberries from the bushes as we passed and devouring them until I all but made myself sick. I never grew up much with heather, so the blackberry instead changes the association to the scent of the blackberry bushes themselves, a bit sharp and woody but mellowed by the fruit.

I adore fruit scents, and this is a lovely, delightfully mellow version. It's familiar, rather than exotic, and perfect because of that.

hmm... not sure on this one. I like the scent, but there isn't MUCH of one, if that makes any sense? it is so light... i feel like i'm straining my nose to pick up the full scent.

i'll say i'm undecided on this one... I'm going to have to try it again, when i don't have 5 other scents all over my arms! hehe...

In imp: chemically, like sniffing concentrated laundry fragrance.

Wet: Heather with a rosy undertone. It reminds me of my grandmother's medicine cabinet.

Drydown: oh, now there's a little bit of blackberry underneath the heather. It's very delicate.

Later: This definitely smells like my grandmother's cold cream. Mildly floral and creamy.

Even later: eh, it turned funky. :P I bet there's a smidge of sage and rose in here.

Overall: this is very vintage-y to me, actually. More evocative and nostalgic than something I would normally wear as a perfume.

Edited by ladymissspyder

Bottle: yep, that's blackberry all right.

Wet: still blackberry, with a hint of green behind it.

Dry: very berry. I can just catch the heather behind it. amping the berry note again - whodathunkit?

Later: more of the heather at the end, berry still present, but has stopped the ampage. this is lovely, but I'm not sure it's quite me.

Trying this is just another bit of proof that I cannot discern a floral from a floral from a floral.

All I smell is roses? With a little bit of something wilder behind it. I am going to pretend that wilder thing is heather, but it's just pretense.

It doesn't even change all that much. It just goes on and stays on for a few hours and then it is gone. I haven't even got on the train before the journey is over.

Oh well.

First try: I like the berries, and it smells wispy with the heather. I like this one.

Second try: Not as much berries this time. It actually smells a little bit musky, a light soft musk scent that reminds me very slightly of Enraged Bunny Musk. I still like it on this try.

I don't have an old-lady scent or soap reaction from this, like other reviewers have. It's pretty, light, and a bit sweet. But the scent is quite faint after an hour, so this won't be a bottle order for me. If it were stronger, I would consider it.

Glasgow arrived yesterday (a Sunday! What was happening with my post office??) in a box from my original BPAL enabler, urbanruralferal (*waves across the miles to her*), quite unexpectedly.

Always up for a new scent experience I put some on late at night before walking the dogs. Didn't check scent notes (it feels like cheating to me; I someday want to be able to just miraculously pick out fragrances because, gosh my nose is so brilliant...oh dear, sounds like Rudolph...)

So, off into the night, thinking random thoughts of the city and my past (Glasgow in jarvenpa's past: a few nights, the cold, the fog, a sale of old books in a church basement, a very drunk workman singing loudly and staggering against me in the street, my distracted lover-of-the-time, my fear of pregnancy, the tangled sheets). I'm sure it was before most of the forumites were born.

Well, the scent at my wrists didn't smell like all that (except, perhaps, a touch of wine): initial smell of mist, fruit, then...salt air? rosemary? flowers, I know these flowers (later when I did check the notes I thought, yes, heather is right). It's a strong and complex sort of fragrance of the sort I like a great deal. Something in it reminds me of The Sleeper, which is very strange (certainly wouldn't associate the two fragrances otherwise). Maybe rosemary? Sniffing onward (the dogs are smelling the dew-wet grass in the vacant lot, and the air smells of sweetbriar--and Glasgow). As usual my nose just surrenders to "oh, this is really lovely, who cares what's in it?"

Complex, dark, and the scent of rain or sea air or something keeps darting through it. After sometime...more than a half hour later--I think "where is that fragrance coming from?" It has changed, it smells like...jam?? But that's nice too (I guess, later checking the notes, this is the Assertion of the Blackberries).

Glasgow goes on my still not written down but engraved on my heart list of "someday I need a bigger bottle of this one"

I'm not sure how I feel about Glasgow. I want to really like it. The description is pure poetry; I could also see the mist floating across a quiet, never-ending greenscape.

In the bottle, I think it's absolutely horrid--like bitter sea water. If I'm honest, it almost faintly reminds me of urine. At any rate, it's far more aquatic than I had anticipated.

On my skin, it maintains the aquatic-ness for about 10 minutes before it slowly morphs and a fainter, slightly sweeter scent emerges. Once it's dry, I can just barely locate the blackberry, which I believe is responsible the faint bitterness of the scent, over all.

Though I do somewhat appreciate the scent after the 20 minute mark has passed, I don't think I'd buy a full-size bottle.

Glasgow

In the bottle: Sort of sweet, juicy with a hint of green.

On me: A bit of berries at first. Then the green/plant scent is dominant. A lovely outdoor kind of scent.

I would love to step outdoors and smell this, but not sure that I want to smell like this. I need to branch out from my favorite foody/sweet/spicy scents, but it is hard!

In the imp: Sweet greens, with a hint of berry. It strikes me as a lighter version of Bewitched.

Wet: Yes, this is a lighter version of Bewitched, and it also has the same sort of "misty" quality that I found in both Dublin and Leanan Sidhe. There is very little change here from the wet stage.

Drydown and wear: I so desperately want to love one of the Scotch-Irish scents, but the ones I've tried to date are all so light and fade on me right away. They're beautiful and very wispy--they do match up with and evoke images of "the wee burn" on a rainy day, but they just disappear so quickly. *sob* I'm afraid this one will have to go off to swaps.

Glasgow was the first fruity-floral BPAL that I fell in love with. I have such a soft spot in my heart for it. A friend recently described it as “uncomplicated pretty” and I couldn’t agree with her more. The Lab description is “the rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.” In my case, it’s more like “huge wafts of powerful purple heather occasionally interrupted by the tart tang of wild blackberry – leaves and all.” This is just gorgeous – a very purple and green scent. It’s got a great level of throw and I never have to worry about putting it on and not enjoying the way I smell. Unfortunately, my skin eats it up, but it’s so pretty that this is one I don’t mind reapplying throughout the day. I have accumulated many imps over the past year or so and continue to use each one up rather quickly. I love it.

In the imp, I sort of wrinkled my nose at it, thinking it smelled way too perfumey. But as I opened the imp, I managed to get it on my hand, so I figured I might as well give it a real test. I'm glad I did. It's very true to its description. I get the wild, not-too-sweet blackberry and the heather, each very clearly. My only complaint is that it didn't have a lot of staying power on me, but that's what scent lockets are for. I'm not sure I need a bottle, but I will use the imp on days when I want blackberry, but the Closet monster is just too heavy.

I can definitely smell the berries - this scent is very sweet. I'm not entirely sure what heather smells like, but whatever the berries are blended with, it compliments them nicely. This scent is pretty, but it's not something I'd wear.

rating: 2/5

I know better than to actively buy floral scents, but I thought "well, blackberry is a fruit, and heather isn't a super-floral. I should be okay."

In the imp, I was nearly bowled over by the scent of berry, and moreover, by the light touch of something lightly floral. So far, so good.

Wet, the scent took on richer notes - still heavy berry notes, but it reminded me of wearing a berry cobbler. Tasty, but not what I had in mind.

Drying and dry, it finally dawned on me what this scent was evocative of. Some years ago I owned a car that had, prior to my taking possession of it, been used by someone who smoked heavily. To cover the smell of stale smoke in the vehicle, the prior owner had dumped febreeze all over the upholstery and proceeded to stick car air fresheners into every spare corner. And sadly, that is what Glasgow smells like on me - a heavy, permeating smell of carfreshener. The best thing I can say about it is that it has staying power; I smelled like a carfreshener until the following morning when, after some serious scrubbing in the shower, I managed to finally rid myself of the scent.

I will likely be offloading this one soon.

--Ashtoreth

We have tons of blackberries here, and I love the scent of hot, ripe blackberries. ( That sounds oddly dirty) This smells kind of...thin. Like those little teeny tiny blackberries, I can also smell something that smells like roses. It softens and rounds out into something that mostly smells like little bitty roses. Its kind of a diminutive scent, I like it. I will be keeping this imp.

Edit- One unfortunate thing, the scent kinda makes me feel the need to sneeze. I think I will still be keeping it.

Edited by thatonegirl

soft heather with a slight sweetness from the blackberry. very pretty, sweet and soft. i'd love to wear this on a rainy day! for some reason....

Edited by theseagrows

In the imp: Clean, crisp, fresh, berries.

On the wrist, wet: Clean and fresh, leafy smelling. Vaguely similar to Alecto, because of the berries I am sure... I've never smelled heather before (to my knowledge) but it's pleasantly apparent in this blend.

On the wrist, dry: This fades into a soft but pronounced scent.

Final Analysis: This is a beautiful blend, and I will be keeping the imp, possibly getting a bottle.

Blackberries. I love blackberries . . . Bewitched was the first fragrance I ever tried, and I'm still crazy about it. Here I get some of those same lovely blackberries . . . But the heather turns into pure dryer sheets on me. Ultimately I end up with berries and dryer sheets. Just can't do it. :P

a gentle scent.. Sweet. Definitely tell the blackberries in the mix... Perhaps a touch of the heather as well. Perfect for the light clean perfume days.

I've got two imps, by some odd twist. They're both staying and might get a big brother in the future.