Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black tea leaf, invigorating wasabi extract, sweetened by honey.

spicy and sweet, I am on the fence as to if this one works on me. I am definitely getting that nose tickle from the wasabi, and the tea leaf is coming out but the honey is only adding a bit of sweetness to it. it does kind of smell medicinal but in a nice way. it kind of reminds me of chapstick the original black one, which I love the scent of. I think my imp will get some use and we will see about a bottle.

Oh man, at the beginning it definitely was the duel of wasabi vs. honey.

I think the honey won. Because now I have a sweet (but not too sweet) honey/tea scent thing going on.

Verry interesting.

In the imp: I barely smell anything at all. There's the whisper of a suggestion of honeyed tea, if at all.

Wet: Honeyed tea, incredibly light and faint. After a few minutes, a crisp green note with a slightly spicy feel appears, but it's not the sinus clearing whoosh! that I was expecting. There's almost something astringent about this.

Dry: Doesn't morph. It's light and fresh and crisp and pleasant, but NOTHING like what I was expecting.

This smells pretty much like a generic tea scent to me -- I'm not getting any kind of wasabi kick from it (not that wasabi has much of a smell anyway, except for when it's searing your nasal passages after you eat too much of it with your sushi), and only a slight bit of honey.

It's not bad, just not very interesting. As it settles in, it's not even clearly identifiable as tea any more, and just smells like a generic sort of herbal-bath-product or shampoo type scent. Meh.

Grade: C+/B-

Nostrum Remedium starts out very light and refreshing. I expected something stronger from the wasabi, but as far as I can tell all it's doing is making the scent feel "green." The tea leaf is in the forefront throughout the scent's lifetime, very lightly sweetened by honey. It's a pretty blend, but I can't see myself reaching for it often as it's got almost no throw and fades to something akin to that lingering soap smell you get after you bathe with hotel toiletries. It's nice, but it's not me.

Nostrum Remedium is really rather awful on my skin, and has unfortunately wonderful staying power and throw. It starts off so incredibly sharp and strange on my skin, but with an undertone of cloying honey that makes me feel a little sick when I smell it. I thought that this did smell like a sharp wasabi with sour lemon and hints of honey, but my boy (who actually eats and is more familiar with wasabi) said it smelled nothing like wasabi to him, but more like a sharp potpourri. In the drydown, we both agreed that this is like a harsh lemon dish soap. It's crazy-sharp, and it's the soapiest scent I've ever worn :P

Nothing about this really works for me :D

This is mostly honey with just a hint of the sinus clearing power of wasabi. I think a lot of people who don't like their scents too sweet would like this one - the wasabi really tempers the sweetness of the honey. I'm not getting much black tea at all.

I'm a freak and like my scents really sweet, so I don't much like the wasabi note. Poo.

Edit: About a half hour after it dried, the wasabi faded a bit, and what was left was quite lovely!

Edited by sprocket21

In Vial: Clean and pretty

Wet: This is very refreshing.

Dry: This gets really strong. I'm not sure which note it is, but it is over powering..

Edited by gchris

i smelled something that reminded me of green grass or green vegetables, was slightly medicinal, and quite soapy. i couldn’t for the life of me figure out what it was, so i peeked at the scent description. wasabi!

i don’t smell the tea or honey, just this strange, sharply green little root. it doesn’t make my eyes water like when i eat it on sushi, but it did make me choke up a little when i sniffed too deeply. if you enjoy grassy, herbal scents, this may appeal to you. it’s a bit too strong for me, though.

I'm so sad about Nostrum Remedium!!! I had really high expectations of a honey sweetened black tea swirled with nose tickling tingle. What I've got on my arm right now is black licorice. When I do catch a whiff of the tea, it's a raw, un-aged, un-fermented kind of tea leaves, not steeped or rounded out in any way. The honey was there at first, trying to maintain order but I think it gave in to the licorice. Well I'm sad.

I was very curious about the wasabi note in this blend, but apparently.......black tea leaf + wasabi = licorice with my chemistry.......

I don't like the smell of licorice........not at all.......and the honey is a no-show, so I'm gonna wash this one off and pretend this never happened........

:P

This smells like tea and honey and... green. I'm not sure how to describe that in scent words. It smells a little planty. I think it is a refreshing scent, and it does seem fairly invigorating.

It was quite strong at first, but after 15 minutes or so it starts to smell lemony for some reason.

I don't know yet how I feel about this scent. It seems like I like it because I keep sniffing my wrist, but maybe that's because the scent is so odd I don't know what I think about it.

Initial impression:

Is that curious scent the wasabi? Hmm. It's very medicinal, but go figure – it's a remedy!

First on:

It's like a medicinal soap on me in its wet stage, which isn't hugely appealing.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's a hot wasabi scent with a soapy air to it. Interesting, if peculiar!

Later on, it's wasabi soap with the lightest touch of honey to it. Hmm, not quite what I hoped for!

Finally:

Alas, this one didn't quite work out. Swapping.

In the imp: An almost candy-like sweetness and tea.

On wet: Fresh, sweet, faintly...lemon and/or anise-y?

Drydown: Wow, I can't get over how much muted lemon (pith?) I'm getting from this! I know tea can have a citrus-y vibe, but this goes far beyond a mere "vibe", my friend. The sweetness present is of the lighter, cooler variety - like white sugar that's been heated into a syrup and then chilled. It's pretty intense. The tea lives underneath that sugar-glazed lemon. It's a weak brew, but distinct when I press my nose against my skin. Not 100% sure what wasabi as a scent component should smell like, but I *am* picking up on a touch of heat where I applied the oil - it's making my skin tingle! No pain, no redness, nothing unpleasant - more like my wrist has been in the sun for a while.

Overall: Interesting blend - wearable, pretty, simple and complex at the same time - but, ultimately, not for me. I have Dorian and Severin to see to all my tea-scent needs. If sugared tea (with a wasabi-tingle!) is *your* thing, though, you will absolutely love this. 3.5/5 :P

Wet this is clean, soapy and herbal; possibly aloe and something creamy and sweet (honey). When first on this is green and herbal mixed with a perfumey, almost citrus note. After a couple of minutes the perfumey note fades and now the creamy and soapy notes start to develop. As it starts to dry down, the sweetness of the honey really comes out. At this stage it reminds me of Dream of the Fisherman's Wife :D :D :D This is just what the doctor ordered :D I see a bottle of this in my future :P

wow beautiful :D

it smells like fresh laundry dried in the sun (again another one like that :D )

together with licorice!

lovely, just like summer in the Netherlands :P

Oooo Nice!! I like!!

On my arm it is a scent that can be associated with the male of the species, but I think it smells rather nice on me! I smell clean with a tiny touch of honey just carousing about in the back.. It does have a dark herbal clean smell to it on top with a sweetness that calms it down and keeps it from being too astringent. I don't think I'll be purchasing a whole bottle but will keep this imp close at hand. I wonder how it'll smell on the DH. Details to be added later!! :P

So I said to myself, 'Self, why is it that you think everything smells like Lemon Pledge on you.'

Self: 'Everything does'

No, really. I don't know why I smell neither tea nor honey nor wasabi but... there you have it. A lemony-candy scent, if I want to forget Pledge ever existed.

Medicinal, green, and lemony. Faintly sweet from the honey. Where's the wasabi? This *is* clearing out my sinuses a little, though--maybe that's the wasabi right there. Reminds me a bit of Embalming Fluid.

In the vial: white floral

Wet: floral, then lemony, but now I think I smell the tea. I was worried at first. My chemistry tends to amp white florals. This is very clean, but not soapy. It's getting sweeter. How refreshing! Lemon and sweet tea.

Drydown: When this is dry it becomes very balanced and light. I could see wearing this in the summer a lot. It's clean and refreshing without being soapy or overwhelming. The drydown reminds me a little of Xanthe but less candyish, and a little of other green tea fragrances.

Sounds interesting...i'm a huge fan of black tea and honey, but I'm not sure about that wasabi extract. Sniffing this from the imp, all I get is the black tea and honey! Nice!

Oh wow, this is awesome! Rich black tea with a generous amount of honey. Honestly, still not really getting any wasabi from this. Unfortunately, as it dries, it gets this odd smell to it...maybe that is the wasabi. I don't know how to describe it...it's just...odd.

In the end, it just turns sort of weird and soapy on me :P Gonna have to pass this imp along!

Medicinal, slightly herbal floral with just a trace amount of sweetened black tea.

I am thrilled that I don't really detect honey, just the sweetness that comes from it.

I love the medicinal vibe from wasabi and overall it feels gentle and very clean.

imp: very faint tea scent.

wet: tea and honey. very soft and sweet but no wasabi.

dry: there is something medicinal in the background as this dries. it doesn't smell like wasabi to me but it does seem green and spicy.

In the bottle – Green and slightly citrusy with a touch of honey

Wet on me – A kind of bitter green floral that I can’t identify

Dry on me – Nothing, poof, gone!

Overall – I expected to love this, but it wasn’t what I expected and then it disappeared

Nostrum Remedium

In the imp: a sharp, almost greenish ginger smell. That’s probably wasabi, it reminds me of That!

Wet on skin: soap? No, please don’t tell me this is going the same way as Slippery Poppy Tincture?

Dry on skin: I get hardly any tea, and virtually no honey, but this scent really shows off the wasabi note. it smells very much like the biting green smell I got in That! But this one is a little bit less complex, I don’t get the citrus and the mint etc…I just get the crisp green spicy and ginger-ish scent. However, this note has aspects of bitter burnt stems and soapy grass to it, and even a hint of lemon verbena-ish soap that I don’t like.

After a while: soap, soap and more soap! This is what turned That! into soap. It wasn’t the green musk, it was the wasabi. It smells like a strange ginger-scented soap. It’s got something in it that reminds me of cleaning products. For some reason, it reminds me of a couple of TAL oils…maybe Ourobouros? (Not that I’ve worn that as perfume, but it does remind me of the smell.)

Verdict: this scent has taught me that I cannot do wasabi. I suspected that this was the case from That, but I wasn’t expecting this note to be so bad on me until I tried this. It’s total Soap City on me. I get hardly any tea or honey, but lots of soapy green bitterness which is a bit like burnt grass, ginger and washing up liquid. I think that’s the wasabi, and I don’t think I like it. This also reminds me of Slippery Poppy, similar in it’s soapiness and lack of honey, seemingly overwhelmed by biting and cruel green soap. Not my thing at all!

Emoticon rating: :ugh:

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Slippery Poppy Tincture, That! The Terror from Over There!