Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Iceblink

MVJBA: Spring Training 2008

Since 1928, Mother Shub and her brood have been providing the snack shacks of the Miskatonic Valley with a bevy of otherworldly sweets and baked treats. This year, Mother Shub has created a promotional perfume oil that embodies the scent of her famous Peanut Brittle Caramel Popcorn. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Thank you for an eon of community support!

I guess just typing NOM NOM NOM in giant font won't do for a first review, will it? :P
This is *delicious*. It does indeed smell exactly like caramel corn, Cracker Jacks, Crunch and Munch, peanut brittle...the caramel-y, slightly salty, slightly nutty treat of your choice. It goes on caramel corn and stays caramel corn, with great throw and staying power. The only change I've noted in over 3 hours or so is that the buttery aspect amps a bit the longer you wear it. Otherwise this is a straightforward caramel with a hint of nuttiness and a wee pinch of salt. It is absolutely divine! I would recommend this if you like Sugar Skull, Gluttony, or Red Lantern. Or if you like caramel corn! Which I'm craving like MAD right now.

This smells exactly like caramel corn with toffee peanuts. Exactly. In fact, I am going to have to stop sniffing my arm now since it is making me have an uncontrollable desire for caramel corn. :P

ETA: In the bottle it smells coffee-ish and I just realized what it reminds me of in bottle: Starbucks Toffee Nut Latte. Happily the coffee note is not present on my skin.

Edited by girlygirl

When I first smelled this in the bottle, I ... kind of wanted to drink it. It smelled like butterscotch schnapps or something — something sugary and sticky which really I would never drink in reality but still: Delicious! Sippable! Smells! Were coming out of this bottle.

As it starts to dry, the immediate boozy-sweet note shifts into something precisely accurate: there's the salt, and the caramel, and the nuttiness, and even the poofy, airy, starchiness of popcorn. Melted butter and caramelized sugar? Yes. I've had bad luck with a lot of sugary notes — they turn to a plasticky funk — but this one is staying true. It evokes sticky shoes and damp soda cups, crumpled cardboard and wooden benches, but also the sugar overload of a carnival midway, all spinning rides, flashing signs and rigged games.

But now it's drier still, and it's taking on a hint of burnt sugar, a touch crisped around the edges, like the caramel corn balls at the elementary school Halloween carnival which have an unavoidable tang of school gym stuck to their sides. But I chalk this up to the trouble my chemistry has with sugar notes. I suspect the rest of you will get deeelishus caramel corn accuracy like nobody's business. And I envy you. :P

Edited by bookandbroom

I posted this yesterday, but somehow in the forum weirdness it was lost.

In the bottle: Hot, dripping-with-butter popcorn.

Wet: Buttery popcorn, and a hint of sweetness coming out.

Drydown: The popcorn settles down and sweet caramel comes forward. I'm not getting anything peanut-y at all. The caramel note is amazingly real, and combined with the lingering butter it reminds me of fresh, homemade caramels being pressed into a buttered pan.

Fairly low throw, but decent wear length; I couldn't wait to get home and slathered some on right there in the post office after I picked up the package. That was about three hours ago, and it hasn't faded much at all despite the fact that my skin drinks oils for breakfast. I can't wait to try this in my scent locket tomorrow!

In the bottle and on my skin, this reminds me a lot of Miskatonic University, except with a salty, peanutty undertone. After allowing it to warm up a bit, the peanutty aspect is strongest - I imagine once this ages, it's going to be fantastic. I like it very much indeed. :)

2018:

After ten years of aging (and having forgotten where it was for several years), I tried this again. In the bottle, it was all peanut scent, to the point where I couldn't smell anything else. But once I put it on my skin, the peanuts disappeared, and now it smells like caramel. I'm not picking up the coffee note at all, but my family says I smell like a caramel latte, so I'm counting this a win.

Edited by harmonyfb

Yum!!!! Sweet, Buttery + Brown Sugary Peanut Brittle. I do get that coffee scent even on my skin, but it's one of those sweet dessert-like coffees covered in whipped cream and carmel drizzles. Glad I jumped on this, I do believe I might need a back-up of this.

Hey, Cockaigne Fans, you might like this - It's very close, not as intense as Cockaigne but definately in the same scent family!!!

Edited by gysysingleton

In the bottle, this smells like caramel and popcorn, but on me it takes a slight turn into caramel and peanuts. It's a delicious, thick, gooey caramel very similar to the one in Elegba and Red Lantern (just without the coconut and tobacco and whatnot). Strong, but delicious! Woo!

And yeah, now I'm craving caramel anything. So hungry.

In the bottle: buttered popcorn.

Wet: buttered popcorn and coffee with cream.

Drydown: caramel popcorn and coffee with cream.

Try this if you like: Midway, Gluttony, Eat Me.

bottle: very caramelly. this almost has a light boozy note to it, caramel booze... :P

wet: this smells exactly like caramel corn when wet. exactly. i don't get anything peanutty yet, just crunchy caramel corn.

dry: huh. this smells like the container that the caramel corn came in, the one that's all empty 'cause you gorged on caramel corn. i think i need another bottle of this scent. it is wonderfully realistic and fun.

Bottle: Caramel vanilla.

Wet: Buttery, rich vanilla, gourmand (not floral).

Drying: Turning even more buttery, if that's possible. This phase rocks! This scent is very richly caramel and sticky, almost toffee-like. It reminds me a lot of Shill but with less pure butter. This is more scorched sugar, like caramel.

Dry: It's pretty much sitting at the single note Caramel stage for me. I'm not getting a great deal of peanut, which is all for the best I suppose. No other nutty notes. This has really captured that whole brittle butter scent, which is that 'back of the throat' salt taste. The caramel rises up but it's not burnt, it's laden with sugar, which gives it that extra kick.

10 m: Is that a little nutmeat I detect? *snorf* Maybe. Still wonderful toffee-caramel.

Overall: OMG, if this were GC.

Thank you Ma Shub!

ETA: Man, now I have to get some Garrett's popcorn.

NOM NOM NOM - NOM NOM NOM *nibbles back of hand*

Edited by Lycanthrope

Mmm. Caramel corn + peanut brittle = gooood. I can't carry off something this foody, but I appreciate the concept and it'd executed perfectly. Not too sweet, and just right. :P

I'm not a foody scent kind of girl, but I can step into the foody camp well enough to enjoy this. It smells exactly like caramel corn with peanuts mixed in!! In the bottle it's more popcorn-like, but as the oil dries it takes on more of a caramel coffee peanut sort of vibe. This is a very fun scent, and I am amazed at how well the fragrance of caramel corn was captured.

I think it's fair to say in advance that anything I'm about to say about this blend, is due mostly to my body chemistry. It sounded so good but I hesitated to buy it because BPAL's popcorn and caramel notes don't tend to work out on me. Thanks to honey_cat, I actually got to try this blend anyways and my fears were confirmed!

I know from Shill, that popcorn from BPAL smells like faint wood on me. And that their caramel disappears on my skin. I mean really, the second it hits my skin, *poof!* it's gone. The end result here is that it's sort of vaguely woody and coffee like. Doesn't have a lot of throw on me unfortunately.

I will say that it reminds me A LOT of Miskatonic University. That coffee and dust combo is how this blend turns out on me (light on the coffee). If you like that blend, definitely try this. Or if you were a fan of Shill, I think it's obvious that you should try this too hehe!

Normally heavy foody scents smell smothering and terrible on me. But this is SO GOOD! In the bottle it smells so much like peanut brittle that I recognized it instantly before I read the notes. And on, the volume turns down a little, and it's just sweet and peanutty and light. It fades too soon, but is so nice while you have it. Mmmm!

in the bottle boozy caramel, a little burnt smelling. it's the base caramel note of creepy without the juicy background.

wet on skin still a bit boozy smelling, less maple-y than creepy now with a slightly dry nutty backdrop.

dry on skin the nuttiness continues to amp, but otherwise stays pretty much the same as wet. throw is negligible and sugary. the nuttiness stays very close to the skin.

i like it a lot, it's brilliant, but i'm not sure how much i'd wear it. time will tell!

edit i put some of this on the kids without telling them what it was and they said "OMG CARAMEL CORN!" :P

Edited by ravenfeathers

My confession is that I didn't actually try this *on* me....because I was going into sugar shock from the scent in the bottle. Peanut brittle caramel popcorn is exactly what it smelled like to me in the bottle. It smelled like the condensed flavor of a BIG BAG of hot sticky caramel/brittle popcorn.

Oh my God. I might have to swap this away because of how much it smells exactly like caramel corn. I've never wanted to eat my arm so badly in my life. FOOOD.

It does have a bit of a toffee smell, which is similar to the smell of heavily sweetened coffee. The toffee gets a little stronger and less buttery on my skin, and stays deliciously sweet. Excuse me, I'm going to go raid the pantry.

OMG! This is exactly what I was hoping it would be: caramel corn! The coffee smell is subtle on my skin, but the toffee really comes out. It's definitely less boozy than Misk U, and the buttery scent reminds me a bit of Midway, especially when I first put this on.

Like some others have said, this is a dangerous scent because now I want to go eat some real caramel corn. If you like foody scents, you will LOVE this! :P

Edited to add: I've been wearing this for a few days now, and it doesn't last very long on my skin, even when I slather it on. After about two hours, the scent has gone. It's definitely worth it, though, since it's a wonderful scent and I still love it!

Edited by BookGirl

Ultra buttery in the vial (totally what I was expecting) which then turns into a slightly nutty caramel on my skin. I feel the nuttiness keeps the sweetness down and turns the blend slightly savoury which is of course okay with me :P I'm picky with my foody scents, my one favourite is Eat Me and I don't usually like all that much in the foody category, but this isn't bad at all! Will definitely be keeping the decant.

YUM.

Yeah, that is what I thought the second this was on my skin. This is a very rich and buttery scent on me, but not in an overpowering way (i.e. I can't wear Gluttony or Hellcat but this definitely works). I can best describe it as cracker jacks with a hint of vanilla. This is going to be such a good scent year-round for when I need some good foody comfort- I couldn't be happier!

:P

Oh woe. Woe! In the bottle this is lovely, thickly sweet, caramel and peanut and popcorn, flat-out edible.

On my skin? Nothing. It vanishes.

I know it's my skin being finicky, and it makes me sad.

:D

This is wonderful. It's like cracker jack, but better! As if it was freshly homemade cracker jack... I like foody, rich fragrances & this really hits the spot for me. :P

In bottle: carmel kettle corn & kahlua

wet: carmel kettle corn, a little booze (though, no longer kahlua), and a bit of nut

dry down: rich, buttery, saltly, sweet caramel kettle corn

end of the work day: still smells like caramel kettle corn- faded, as if I had been eating some & wiped the residue on my jeans.

I wasn't so sure this was going to work on me originally. I love foody smells, but I was getting a slight peanut-butter vibe from the bottle and to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to smell like peanut butter. Luckily, there's all other kinds of yummy in this bottle as well: caramel, buttered popcorn, and seemingly some sort of coffee-cocktail (I'm thinking either Irish Coffee or Kahlua and Creme?)

My skin seemed to amp the caramel along with whatever note was smelling suspiciously like coffee, lasting a surprising few hours before maturing into a softer, butterier coffee-cocktail smell. During that phase, I swear I got a few whiffs of cocoa, but it could have been a chocolate craving disguised as wafting perfume.

This may be the first scent I've tried with a very good amount of throw as well as a fantastic lasting time--I dabbed this on around 2PM and was still able to tell it was on around 11PM. Normally, my skin drinks it all in and I need to reapply three or so hours in.

:P

I was *so* happy to get my Whippoorwill fan pack today. Everything is even better looking in person (the shirt? best.shirt.EVER.), and I really love this oil. In the bottle, it smells like a cross between Shill and Mitzvah, like buttered, slightly salty popcorn drizzled in caramel cream. The caramel and vanilla cream sort of smell dominates on my skin, but still with the salty, buttered popcorn in the background. In the drydown, this takes a darker turn on my skin, almost like the boozy, dark sugar sharpness of Kill-Devil is added into the mix. :D

My hubby-to-be hates this oil (loves the shirt on me though, the babydoll shirts really cling in all of the right places :D), as 'buttery' is one of the qualities he hates most in my perfumes. I love buttery-foodie scents though, so MVJBA makes me verrry happy. It's like Mitzvah with a darker, more adult edge on my skin, but still completely foodie and fun. The scent actually has great throw and staying power on me too. I've been wearing it for five hours now and it's still going strong.

I'm definitely pleased to have two bottles of this. I'll wear it when my hubby is at work, lol.

two of my favourite jelly belly candies are the buttered popcorn and caramel corn. this is like a hybrid of those :P

at first it's VERY buttery with lots of salt, but there is an underlying sweetness. reminds me of cracker jacks! this is Shill's naughty cousin.