Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

I was expecting a bit of a dirty scent with the leather, rum, tobacco and leather. But this smells much more perfumy. I can’t seem to pick out any of the notes in it, it’s blended nicely. But I have to say it’s not a regular perfume, it’s a bit dark and sexy, very feminine.
I can't say it's very vanilla-like sweet, but it is a more sexy sweetness.
I like it a lot.

Wet: sugary, bubblegum sweet.

Dry: I think my skin amps rummy scents. Nothing I've tried that contains rum has worked on me, because the rum ends up being really strong, as if I've just been drinking heavily. The tobacco comes up too.

The scent ends up being exactly true to the description. To me, it smells like smoky, rummy, lecherous Humbert Humbert tumbling bubblegum-sweet Lolita in her bedroom on a pink, fluffy comforter. Not my kink.

For the first hour, this smelled like I was drinking a glass of chardonnay while wearing a leather jacket -- not a bad smell, but not something I would go out of my way to smell like, and not especially sexy.

Then the wine receded while the rum and tonka finally came out. With hints of leather still in the background, this was a much better, and sexier, combo. Half an hour later, it's starting to get a whiff of pipe tobacco, too. A little is fine, but if the tobacco gets much stronger, it's going to put an end to this particular scent experiment, alas.

Ive decided, I love tobacco/leather/booze scents. :P

This one was also great. Its got a sweeter hint to it, but I still get a tobacco and alchohol smell...as it dries, the leather starts to come out and I can really see why this would be considered a sexy scent. It isnt strong, but its nice and subtle. I like. And whats even nicer? It smells great on my sweetie too. :D

very sensual scent... it's smoky, boozy, and sweet at the same time. it's a fabulous blend and smells good on men and women (my boyfriend and i both fell for it).

Yummy, I just love Perversion! I get the tonka, and leather with a little tobacco most heavily, with a hint of rum in the background. It is smoky, and sultry, and sexy and smooth and just a beautiful blend. Warm, rich, heavier but not heavy, dusky but not dark.

perv.jpg

One of the benchmarks I use regarding how successful a perfume is on me is: do I daydream about it, do I suddenly say to myself "Oh, wouldn't it be great to be smelling some ______ right now!" Well, I do that with Perversion. Actually, Perversion has become my regular perfume, I default to it because it is comforting, blends well with many other scents, and is always "right"--boardroom or bedroom.

Perversion has a candy-like component to it, but it's some kind of grownup candy. The Lab description is: "Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka." You can indeed smell all of that. It is never cloying no matter how much sweetness it radiates. It is a very grown up scent but it retains its whimsy in a concentrated whimsy sort of a way.

Unique, Perversion really had to grow on me. At first I wasn't intrigued by it, smelled pretty much like the rest in a way. But after I trained my nose to pick out and appreciate individual notes, I relished Perversion.

I really liked my icon for it, too. It was the first time I tried a dash of humor with BPAL icons, and I think I was inspired by the scent itself.

Mmm…

Creamy and not at the same time; like wearing something vanilla to the bar and coming home with the ubiquitous bar smell (but in a good way).

I cannot stand the taste of spiced rum, but in this blend (which smells like it) I can almost imagine being tempted. The Chardonnay definitely sweetens things up, while the tobacco keeps things from turning saccharine.

I don’t get the leather at all, but I don’t think it would sway me either way.

I definitely love this blend. Not sure about it’s bottle potential, but will definitely drain the imp dry.

This is making me hungry.

I can pick out the rum, tobacco, and leather, which all smell great together. It's sweet and smoky, but not incensy. It's a warm, comforting but sexy scent, maybe with a bit of sweet vanilla underneath (is that the tonka?).

I got this because I read a thread where it was listed as a clove cigarette scent. I don't think it smells like cloves, since it does't have that incense quality to me, but it has the same feeling that I got when I would smell my hair after hanging out with my clove-smoking friends back in high school.

I really like this, but I need to try more BPAL before deciding on a bottle. I'll have to see what my boyfriend thinks of it on me too.

edit: I wore this to the airport to pick up my boyfriend. He really liked it, and I'm going to get a big bottle in my next order.

Edited by nineveh

I get coconut too. thought that was just me imagining it.

I don't find this at all kinky or sexual.

but I find it very comforting.

this isn't leather like whips and paddles and bondage gear.

this is leather like your boyfriends old well worn leather jacket when you snuggle into it for a big warm friendly hug.

This is deliciously sexy and practically edible :P Smokey tobacco and a warm thick sweetness--I definately smell something vanilla-y.

This truely is the sexiest BPAL I've ever smelled. It's confident and kinky and sensual as hell!

This wasn't something that I would have picked up on my own and was a freebie from the lab (yay for the lab!).

I don't know how much help this review will really be, since I didn't get past smelling it out of the vial, but on the theory that every little bit of info helps, here it is ....

Out of the bottle, all I get from this is the tobacco. Strong to the point of overpowering and strong enough that just one sniff led to wheezing. So I sealed it up, remembered how to breathe and passed it on to a new and loving home. It does sound interesting, in combination, but with only tobacco in the vial and with that being one of my strongest allergens, I couldn't get there. And I just couldn't bring myself to testing this on the skin.

In Bottle: Rum, berries and smoke.

On Skin: This is a delicious beautiful scent. It is very sensual… the leather and tobacco give it a dark, edgy smoky note. The chardonnay has a juicy berry feel and the rum flavors it even more. Of course the tonka’s sweetness ties it all together. I love this!!! This reminds me of lust… so deep felt and throbbing. Gorgeous…

Origin - imp received in a swap.

A night out in the clubs. This scent seems to come in waves. Wet, I get tobacco, with just a touch of chardonnay.

As it dries the chardonnay takes over and the leather shows up in the background. Then it's mostly leather and rum. The chardonnay comes back, antd then. about two hours later, I finally get a whiff of the tonka.

This is a lovely scent, and it appears to be long-lasting, but it's probably not something I would wear too often. I will definitely enjoy the imp, but I doubt I will pick up a big bottle.

Revised - funny how your tastes change. First time I tried this it did nothing for me, second time it was fair, and third time, well, third time's the charm! This is boozy and gorgeous and I am raising it to a 4, because I am pretty sure I will be picking up a bottle of this soon.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4

Edited by wickedgoddess

i could have SWORN that i had reviewed this before! it is one of my favourites!

provenance: quantum spice gifted me with an imp.

this scent reminds me of Marlene Dietrich in The Blue Angel. a smoky, masculine bar. cigars. brandy in snifters. leather chairs. loads of men. hormones hanging in the smoke.

there is tobacco and spice and leather. something sweet, but not overbearing.

at first the tobacco is predominant, and then you get a hit of old leather wingchairs. hints of booze and spice. the tobacco fades, and the entire scent becomes creamy.

there is a decadence here. a woman in a top hat and tails with fishnet stockings and fetish heels. surrounded by men and loving it. wandering around the bar and periodically sticking her cigar into a man's drink before she puts it into her mouth, looks him straight in the eyes, and pulls on it slowly, sucking the smoke in....and blowing it out .... before going on to the next man and dragging him into her sway, as well...

i really wanted to like this one, i've read so many good reviews but...

this is one of the first bottles i ever got. i bought a 5ml with out even smelling it thinking that i would love it. anxiously i opened the bottle and "wow, this is the most unique smell!"

then on the skin, hmm, i don't know? i can smell the tobacco and leather for sure but then there is some thing sweet and kinda creamy too. maybe rum and chardonnay? what in the world is tonka?

it gets kinda a funny burnt rubbery or plasticy smell to it. (perfect for a oil named perversion i guess.)

i want to love it i really do. in fact once it dries down it 's better but it's not one i would wear allot.

In the bottle: That's interesting. It's a very interesting blend of tobacco, chardonnay and tonka. The chardonnay really comes out, which is surprising because it gives the whole thing a very light and bubbly scent.

Wet: Kinda yummy oddly enough because this did not seem like the kind of thing I'd like at all. Mostly seems to be the leather and chardonnay scents with just a touch of the tonka in the background. Ooooh...hold on. It's the Return of the Tonka. Yummy.

Dry down: Hmmm...now it's gone to more of a tobacco scent, which I find oddly pleasant. It's like a mix of tobacco and tonka that reminds me of going into a cigar store and smelling the cigars. I actually like the smell of cigars. It's such a heavy, comforting smell. There's still just a breath of the chardonnay in the background to provide a lighter note. And, oddly, the leather is just about completely gone.

Dry: Tonka, tobacco and leather. This is a much more masculine scent than the others that I usually wear, but I find it oddly comforting. Hmmm...the leather's coming out a little more now than I had wanted. I think I'll keep this imp around just to sniff every now and then, though, because it's so comforting.

Bottle (Imp): This smells sort of woodsy/smoky, and breezy.

Just On: It still smells a lot like in the imp, but with something sweet peeking though. Almost like a sweet wood being burnt.

An hour or two later: I smell the wood, but it's blended so well with a bit of sweetness that it's a whole new scent to me. I like the way this is morphing on my skin. Is that like coconut icing I smell?

Around 6 hours: Sweet woodsy, but faded a fair amount by now. I'm not getting any more breezes.

12 hours: I can still smell a bit of woodsiness that's smoky and a little tiny bit incensy. It's nice.

Overall: This is a pretty nice scent, and very well blended. I wasn't too sure I'd like it, but I do. If nothing else, I wanted it for the name.

After reading other reviews: I never really got leather out of this, but I guess I can see how that might seem woodsy to me, so maybe that's it. I didn't get nearly the sweetness that others did, but I liked it nonetheless. I also didn't really get any wine or rum out of it.

I feel like Perversion is in the same family as O and Le Petit Mort. O is the sweetest, Perversion is more sultry and smoky, and Le Petit Mort is in the middle. They all have that sort of warm quality that blends with the skin. Perversion has a leathery, spicy, feel but the spice is sweet enought to be feminine. All in all, a very enjoyable scent.

To date, I've gotten three different 'versions' of this scent.

My favorite smells like it has lots of creamy, cool coconut in it with a silky, boozy side and smooth leather. Sweet, silky, boozy, and with an edge of darkness. It's coconut without smelling like beaches and suntan lotion. Sexy, watery and cool.

My least favorite version of this is very smoky tobacco and sour, SOUR booze with sharp leather. It's pretty much unwearable for me and reminds me of getting thrown up on in a smoky bar. Not sexy, not good.

And in the middle, I have a bottle that's like a mix of those two. I don't get the coconut from it, but it has a sweet, silky booze note with smoky leather and a touch of sour. I'm swapping the two latter bottles and keeping my 10ml of the coconutty version. This isn't one that I'd repurchase, just based on the huge batch variations, though I do really like it when it's smooth and not sour...

Edited by Little Bird

Tobacco, vanilla (tonka bean, really), and a little bit boozy. Sweet, and gets sweeter--the pipe tobacco becoming much like a type that gets smoked around me quite a bit. To me, has a hint of leather. I love this so far, and it doesn't seem overwhelmingly sexual or aggressive, despite the name.

I've gotten two compliments so far, and one person's approval that normally can't tolerate scents.

Definitely a big-bottle order.

Received this as a frimp from the Lab in my last order, went through the whole testing it out and making notes to-do, only to find I'd actually tried it several weeks earlier. So we see the impact it had on me LOL ...

BOTTLE: Interesting, strong, masculine.

WET: Very spicy and sexy. I love what I THINK must be the tonka note ...

DRYDOWN: Just too strong. I didn't put that much on but was getting far too much throw from it all day. I like the scent in and of itself but it's just too much.

On a scale of 1-5 I give it a 3. And apparently that's what I gave it last time as well according to my spreadsheet. :P

I tried this scent in the middle of a heatwave, and while I like it, it is definitely a cold-weather oil for me.

On me, it's slightly sweet, very spicy, and pleasantly warm. The leather and tobacco are there, too, but amazingly these notes don't push the scent too far masculine.

I really do like this scent, but it's not a summer oil. I can see this one being just amazing in late October and through November. *pats its lickle impy head and hides it away until the fall* :P

Holy cow, this is nice! Very sexy and incensey yet sweet (from the tonka). I was scared of this because of the rum and leather--not my favorite notes--but all the ingredients combine together wonderfully and they're not really noticeable. Very nice...and very, very sexy. On the big-bottle list for sure. :P

I like Perversion wet and straight out of the bottle -- it has a depth and richness that I thought I would really love. But as it dries down and fades, it turns into just chardonnay, coconut and leather, which to me smells much more like suntan lotion or something than like the perfume it is. It also, as it wears, smells a lot like my grandpa in some way I can't put my finger on. I almost put Perversion down for a big bottle, but I don't like how it fades.