Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

Wet: HELLO, alcohol! On me, this goes on very boozy, with the rum down beneath and the chardonnay hanging out in the upper registers.

As it dries, the chardonnay fades and the leather comes out more, and the tonka peeks in there as well. ... I'm starting to get the feeling that tonka + me just doesn't work that well; it's sweet, and I can understand how somebody would totally adore it, but it just doesn't work for me.

Ultimately this dries down to a leather-slight booze-warm sweet tonka smell, on me. Nice in theory, but not something that sits well on my skin. Swapped it away to someone who will hopefully love it much, much more than I can. :P

In the imp, this is surprisingly creamy. I wouldn't have expected that at all from the description.

On, it is soft smoke and spices. I adore the tobacco note, and while I don't get much leather, there is just enough to keep this scent sweet without being foody.

After the drydown there is a very light hint of something like vanilla, which I'm assuming must be the tonka. If it is, I have to find more blends with tonka in them, since it is fantastic. It's much less overwhelming than vanilla, and a bit darker, less sweet.

Unfortunately, this didn't last very long on me. I had to reapply after about two hours. I don't think I will be getting a big bottle of this, but I am going to enjoy the imp immensely.

The first time I tried this, the boozy notes were making this smell sour but then the tonka and tobacco crept in making it really smooth. I think it was the tonka, but it made this smell like burnt vanilla candle wax for a short period. But that passes after awhile and I’m left with a subtle sweet smoky fragrance that wafts off me. Mmm. Only when I sniff my wrists up close I get a very subtle sour smell. Like sweaty leather? I don’t know what it is, but It’s not that offensive for me to dislike the overall effect. It is reminiscent of the clove cigarette smoke, without smelling stale.

Each time I wear this, I like it a little more. I think I am going to hold out before I commit to a bottle and test the imp a few more times.

I swapped my imp of Kali for this one (thanks, Rackham's Vanity!) and I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll be wearing it to the grocery store, whoo.

In the vial - Ooo, ooo, ooo! Coconut rum, wine and tonka bean! Sweet and boozy.

Wet - Alcohol notes love me. STRONG.

Drying - ...I'm in love. The tonka is GLORIOUS and it making it truly a sweet booze. The leather is in the background, just hovering like a haze, although the tobacco is completely missing. Still, I love!

Dry (1 hours later) - This is a night on the town captured! Smoke and booze with that sweet undertone of tonka. I cannot stop smelling myself. I lust after myself, wearing this!

Overall - This is a serious big bottle. It fades a little too quickly for my liking (after 2 hours, it's down to mostly the tonka), but I'll reapply as often as I have to. It screams "lusty night out" and who can say no to that?! It does have that feel in the feminine way, do to the sweetness, which is just that much cooler. Big bottle all the way. (Thanks yet again, Rackham's Vanity!!!)

in the bottle: chardonnay!

wet: chardonnay, vanilla (tonka), smoke

dry: rum, smoke, leather, a touch of chardonnay

in conclusion: Whoa. This starts out bright and sweet, but quickly -- as in, about five minutes -- fades to dark and smokey. This is a very nighttime scent; up close, it's VERY smokey, like cigarettes without the bitterness, but once you get farther away, the chardonnay and tonka make an appearance. It has a lot of throw, too. I like. It's very sexy and sensual. I might wear this Saturday when I work until midnight to see how it goes over!

At first the strongest note I get is something like cherry liquer, which makes little sense considering the notes. Perhaps the alchohol notes amping up the sweetness in the tonka and the tobacco? I don't get the alchohol much, except for the suggestion of the rum in the sweetness.

Dry, it just smells wonderfully warm and sweet, a little smokey and spicy. I feel like I'm wearing a sexy man's leather coat, warmed from his body heat, and I'm picking up the faint fragrance of his rolling tobacco in the pocket mixing with the faint scent of my own vanilla perfume.

This blend is less a mixture of distinct notes and more of a olfactory cue to very pleasant, sensual memories and associations.

ETA: a couple of hours later, this is almost pure tonka-spilled-on-leather. It's still nice, but not as evocative as the initial drying-down phase. (At least I think it's the tonka I'm smelling. It's a very sweet, heavy scent, but not vanilla-y.)

Second ETA: Oh no. The dreaded powder-sweet-cloying ultimate drydown. I go cry now. (But first, the vigorous washcloth rub-off.) Perhaps I will experiment a little later with layering something on top of it during this phase.

Edited by maewitch

The very first time I wore Perversion, it was like pulling on an old comfy leather jacket...you know, the kind you wear out to the club that gets all smoky and sweaty and starts to soak up the accumulated scents of the booze and the incense and the cloves...it is warm and comfortable and feels like a second skin. Like coming home.

I'm not exactly sure what that says about me, but that was what Perversion was for me. I loved the thick headyness of the tonka and the rum and the leather and the light hint of wine and tobacco, all blended together to make something that made me feel sultry and pretty and like I wanted to eat my arm.

It was also the day of an update, so a 5ml jumped into my cart without a second thought.

The second time I wore Perversion, it was a very different time in my cycle (mid-flow, as it were...sorry 'bout the TMI, but just in case it is relevant) and it was like someone had stripped out the cozy quilted lining of my favorite leather jacket that I've had for 15 years and tossed back something that was a shell of its former self.

Instead of the thick, warm headyness, I got light, thin wine with faint hints of everything else...I really hope it was a cycle issue. I really really do. Because the first time I wore it, I had found a signature scent. There's not much left in the imp (it was a Cat's ear to begin with and had been around the swap boards, methinks), so we shall see...

In the bottle this smells warm and sweet. I can definitely smell the rum and leather.

On this takes on more of a warm bodily smell. This is definitely a sensual and sexy smell, in a kind of playful kinky way. I definitely get the 'bondage ball' from the description. I think I can pick out the tobacco, but I don't really get the chardonnay. This is a smoky smell with warm leather and sweet tonka. I really like this one.

In bottle: Tonka and chardonnay - in the bottle it's so deceptively light and sparkling.

On me: Wow, that tonka is just gorgeous. The leather is considerably sweetened by it, and the chardonnay and the rum give this a delightful alcoholic air that make it the perfect scent for a night of drunken debauchery. This is the scent of a kinky night of naughty fun.

In bottle: spicy leather, mildly sweet; not sure what tonka bean is like, but there's a kinda of sweet-earthy smell to it--tobacco?

Wet: leather and sweet spice--very much like it was in the bottle. Very warm but not sugary sweet.

Dry: like a naughtier version of snake oil, and less sweet. Everything smells like snake oil to me--good thing I like it.

ETA: so this is what I get for testing perfumes during "my time of the month." After that one glorious week of leather and spice, this scent now only wants to smell like vanilla baby powder with mulling spices. Stupid hormones :P .

Edited by gangstaknitta

When I first got this imp in a swap, I loved the smell of it in the imp. However, on me it dried and nothing but tobacco came out. I'm not adverse to tobacco in a blend, but the smell of pure tobacco makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know why, if it was just a bad skin chemistry reaction or what, but now whenever I sniff this poor blend I feel a little nauseous. :P

ooh this is a nice, warm, sexy, tropical scent.

on me it smells like burnt coconut, and i like that. i am guessing i am primarily smelling the tobacco and the vanilla. and i can smell the leather faintly, waaay underneath. it smells a bit masculine, and even moreso as it fades, but i like it. except when it's really faded it reminds me of obsession for men. possibly a 5 ml purchase.

i notice i am having by far the best luck in the love potions section of the catalogue. :P

Edited by theseagrows

This smells like a bar. Not a dirty dive bar, but someplace with a more sophisticated reputation where everyone’s dressed to impress. You know when you go out smelling clean and sweet, and coming home smelling like booze and cigarettes? This is somewhere at the in-between stage. There’s definitely rum, and fruity white wine. Sweet, innocent vanilla contrasts with the naughty tobacco and leather. I don’t smell any coconut. I like this, it’s sexy.

This one's really boozy and the top notes on me are definitely the rum and the chardonnay. This is a very complex, many leveled scent. Everytime I sniff it, I smell a different note; there's the leather, next sniff tonka... All in all this is a pretty interesting scent, and while these are not notes I would normally enjoy, I think I will use my imp of this.

I first tried Perversion months ago, as it was in my very first order of two imp packs back in February. I mean, how could I not love something named "Perversion?" But it just wasn't very distinctive to my nose, and it's sat in my imp box ever since.

I retried it today (mainly because I was intrigued by the occasional comparisons to f54 that pop up, I admit it!), and the Great Pervy One has definitely grown on me! It could be a matter of aging my imp, but more likely, it's just that my nose has grown more sophisticated.

The tobacco is the predominate note at first - warm, flavored pipe tobacco. There's a sharpness in the background - the chardonnay peeking through. As it dries, the rum emerges and sweetens it up - a lot. My skin tends to amplify sweetness, and it's almost to cloying levels, but pulls back just in time. There's a vanilla-coconutty smell mingling with all the smoke and booze.

If Perversion is a night on the town, it's not my usual club, but rather what I wish that club was. It's strong cocktails, sumptuous couches and cushions to lounge on, clove smoke curling through the air, and for some reason, they're providing us with dessert, too. :P

This is why I don't get rid of imps. They change, I change... it could always work someday.

I expected to love Perversion, as I love leather and others who have similar tastes to mine have loved it. I admit that it was okay, but not one of my favorites. On me, Perversion was almost all tonka with a little bit of a buttery-boozy note. It bordered on foody on my skin, but lacked any kind of comforting warmth. The leather never made an appearance on my skin, which was a bit of a disappointment. The drydown was all tobacco, and, as much as I like a good smoky, tobacco note, this made me smell like sickeningly-sweet snuff. No thanks.

Perversion

In the bottle: I... just cannot find words for this. It’s nice, but I can’t tell WHAT it is.

Wet: still not sure. Soft, perhaps a light musk? Barely sweet, but not fruity nor floral. Okay, going to go get the description.... my nose needs help!

Drying/3 mins: a ha! It’s that tonka that my nose isn’t familiar with (at least so far as to name it), but it’s a very nice layered scent – the rum isn’t boozy at ALL (thankgod) and the tobacco isn’t strong either.

Dry/10 mins: Very fun but while not sure it’s for me, it’s definitely worth testing further to see how I like it and what other scents come out.

In the bottle:

Extremely sweet and a bit fruity, like cherries.

Wet:

Definitely a cherry scent. Waiting for other scents to come out and play...

Drydown:

Quite torn on this. I ordered it because of the comparisons to Hellfire (which I stupidly traded away in my early days of BPAL), but there isn't enough tobacco to really make it the same (although more is coming out progressively). My skin makes things sweet, so the vanilla/tonka cherry thing is very much prominent, with no leather or chardonnay at all. This is less naughty and feral and more rich and sophisticated than I expected.

It's a very complex and elegant perfume, though, so I'll definitely hang onto it for some time it might be perfect. Who knows if I'll get an invitation to a dungeon ball.... :P

Edited later to say: The tobacco did come out more, as time went on, and the scent dimmed a bit. Still not sure about this, though I'll definitely be keeping the imp.

Edited more than three months later...This is wonderful! Maybe it's aged a bit, but it's just so rich and delicious. I actually get the leather now, and I really love this.

Edited by sophia_helix

Perversion is awesome! I love the blending of leather, chrdonnay, rum and tobacco.

Bottle: Oh yeah this is gonna be good. Sweet and severe and decadent.

Wet on Skin: Reminds me of the song "Black Leather" and as it starts to dry the other notes get stronger and emerge into what can only be described as a "perversion" of chemistry. :P

Drydown: Mmmm this is just delicious I could smell this for hours especially if it were during some naughty love-making. Matter of fact just the smell of this stuff in drydown makes me want to engage in hours of naughty love-making.

Verdict: Buy it! Wear it to the club. Wear it to bed.

Gah! I can't believe I haven't reviewed Perversion yet! This is one of my favorites :D

Everyone needs a bottle of Perversion.

Perversion is a perfect exaple of why BPAL is just so damn fabulous ^^

It's leather, with a sweet, almost vanilla scented chardonnay...but not too sweet! All of the notes are well balanced in this, and ALL of them are constant and present on your skin at all times (and it lasts forever on me)

This is a perfect oil blend, it's pure magic. I love Perversion :P

Based on the description, I would not have ordered even an imp of Perversion. Someone had a partial imp for sale, so I got it out of curiosity. And am I ever glad! :P

In the imp, it smelled slightly boozy and sweetish with a warm vanilla scent. Smooooth.

Wet on my skin, it smells of warm vanilla coconut-rum. At this point I can't pick up any tobacco, and I'm not familiar with tonka (I understand this may be part of the 'vanilla' scent I'm getting). If tonka is the secret to this scent, every BPAL scent that includes it is now a must try.

A couple of minutes into drydown, I get a slight chemical perfumey waft, but it's gone as quickly as it came.

Dry, I seem to pick up all the notes, the coconut and rum, the chardonnay, the tobacco and leather, everything. So rich and smooth. And it's so perfectly balanced and blended into an ideal cold weather scent for me; on my skin it is warm and delicious without being too masculine. Sweet, but not overly so. It also has good waft and lasts for hours.

Perversion has convinced me that I should try each and every one of Beth's scents that I get the chance to try; I never would have thought this one was for me. This scent is sooo sexy. I'll be buying a bottle, possibly a 10ml. I can see myself wearing this daily in the autum and winter, and using it in the bath. Did I mention it's warm? :D

I especially recommend it to those who might be scared off by the description; to me, Perversion epitomizes the difference between BPAL and commercial synthetic perfumes.

Oh baby...this is good.

Imp: has an almost Blood Kiss quality. I will have to look and see what is similar between the two. I smelly a cherry-ish sweet rummy smell. Nice, but I wasn't sure about all the hype.

Freshly applied: Very much like Blood Kiss, but without the vetivert and heavy musk. I'm not in love with this yet. What is the darn note that is similar here??

Dry: Holy shit. Talk about a morph. This stuff is amazing. I'm getting tonka/vanilla and leather and tobacco with a wee sniff of booze. This is gorgeous. Multi-layered and very very sexy.

Overall: Scoot over top ten and meet your new buddy, Perversion. Gorgeous, really.

In the imp: Sweet and smoky.

On, wet: Despite there being no coconut in the notes list, I smell coconut. Huh.

Later: Coconut and tonka and smoky goodness. Maybe just a hint of rum. Oh my. *_*

oh, YUM. Smells just it says. Right now it's hard to tell if the Very Tobacco head is due to the fact that Hearth is further up my arm :P However, I think I really want a bottle of this. The Tonka is coming out, and the chard is jut lovely. This is great stuff. SEXY.

also, i wanted to add that i just woke up. it's been about 18 hours since i applied the Perversion. all the scents i had on are totally gone, but in the area where i had the Perversion (circled iwth a pen) is still a slight lingering frangrance of tonka.

next order, a bottle. i really am looking forward to wearing this on it's own. :D

ETA: i now have a bottle of this stuff. it's my favorite for wearing out. and actually, i did wear this to a bondage ball! purrrrrrrrrfect :D highly recommended for seducing men who smoke :D

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

I got this as a frimp in my Numb order. My best friend loves this one so I cracked it open and slathered it on my wrists.

In the bottle: Very Snake Oil to me with a hint of something darker.

On the wrists: Snake Oil again with a bit of Snake Charmer actually, but it's got something in it that makes it hard to focus and attacks my sinuses.

Drydown: After 10 minutes, the side effects stop and it dries down to something I really, really like, but I'm not willing to spend ten minutes having focusing issues and sharp pain in my sinuses for the really nice drydown.

I'll pass this on to Chrissy and stick Snake Oil on when I want this scent. :P