Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2007

BEAVER MOON
Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry.

Oh dear, the pressure of the first review....

Beaver Moon starts off a deep cherry scent with some vanilla behind it. Strawberry and sugar takes over next, its very sweet and candylike. After a couple hours, its toned down to strawberry ice cream.

I can't compare it to the original Beaver Moon as I haven't tried that one. Its different from Bloody Mary (at least on me), a different cherry note and less vanilla I do like them both!

The bottle label is pink and is different from the shirt - its just a beaver chewing on some wood. :P Adorable!! Edited by TheIceMaiden

in the bottle sour, tangy berries. i know the original beaver moon was meant to be cheesecakey (or was cheesecakey, regardless of intentions) and i didn't think this one would be, but it is. it's a sharp, twangy tang that offsets the berry very nicely. and i'm not sure but what there's even a teeny whiff of graham cracker in there.

wet on skin the berries take over, but aren't overly fruity. they're sweet and heady, not tart. there's almost a floral aspect to the sweetness

dry on skin mostly berries still, with the tart cheesecakey smell lingering close to the skin. throw is all sweet berries, but not sicky sweet like MB:bloody mary. it's a fresh, foody berry. it reminds me of cherries and red berries poached in liqueur.

this is a fantastic blend and i love it. my bottle looks a little underfilled, which is a shame, but i'm going to enjoy it as long as i have it.

This is the first time that I have ever ordered a bottle of something unsniffed. But I'm a vanilla/red fruit freak, so how could I not order it?

In the bottle: I was very very worried, because Beaver Moon smells weird in the bottle. It smells like very creamy cherry candies that have gone bad, or maybe like very fake cherry candy. You know the CremeSavers candies? It smells like those, but it's not pleasant.

On me, wet: Still the nasty cherry smell, but it's weaker. And what's this? I can start to smell strawberries! Thank goodness for morphers.

On me, dry: Victory! The cherry has been vanquished by the strawberry! And the cream note has mellowed out as well. I can definitely see the comparison to strawberry ice cream. In fact, this reminds me a bit of Bordello, but slightly creamier and more innocent-seeming.

This is wonderful, and I'm so glad it worked out on me, as now I'll be more willing to order unsniffed bottles in the future. And the label is cute to boot! :P

ETA: I remembered the name of the candies :D.

Edited by sprocket21

yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum...

So I took a risk getting this, thinking there was a good chance I would be swapping it away, but that is not going to happen. Nu-uh, This bottle is mine! I am a not really a fan of the foody, but I am all about Beaver Moon.

In the bottle: Cherries, a little off, cough syrup-y almost.

On my skin: Sweet strawberries and cream. Soft and lovely. Not too sweet, not too cookie, just soft, slightly vanilla-tinted cream and luscious fresh berries. There is something else there...making it a smidgen ethreal milky floral. It just adds to the depth. This is amazing.

I am afraid to leave my room, for fear my housemates will want to eat me.

eta: I'm wearing this a day later and now I am getting way more of the wild cherry then I did before. It's tart and wonderful.

Edited by Ohmaude

In the bottle: It's kind of confusing, because it changes with every sniff. First it was strawberry vanilla ice cream, then it was strawberries and cherries with cream, then tart, almost peppery cherries. I have no idea how this will turn out on my skin.

Wet: It smells like Eden. :P Not the mythical garden, the BPAL perfume. Now, I used to adore Eden, it was my first BPAL love, but the wet stage was never my favorite, and this smells like the wet stage of Eden--slightly sour coconut milk. Buh?

Dry: Once it dries, I can smell cherries. My husband says he can smell the strawberry, but I don't get so much as a whisper of strawberry on my skin. There is a hint of cheesecakeyness to this, but fortunately it fades. I am NOT a fan of smelling like cheesecake, which is why I didn't like the original Beaver Moon. The longer I wear it, the more it smells like sweet cherries, almost exactly like Bloody Mary. Which is nice, but I already have a bottle of Bloody Mary. Damn, and I ordered two bottles of Beaver Moon because it sounded so good. Well, that was a waste of money. :/ Sigh. Maybe not, I'll try again in a week when my hormones are more normal.

In the bottle: OMG it's Beaver Moon revisited, with only a hint of strawberry! My heart is gleeful!

On me: for about a minute, it's original beaver moon (sweet vanilla cheesecake) with a hint of strawberries...then everything goes wrong. There's a plasticy note that comes out on me and doesn't let up. Woe! Now I smell exactly like those old Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Which, come to think of it, is kida fun.

Lasting power: one of the reasons Beaver Moon '05 is my favorite scent is that it lasts literally ALL DAY on me. No other BPAL I've found lasts longer than about 2-3 hours on my perfume-gobbling skin. New Beaver Moon doesn't have the staying power of the old one, sadly.

Not a bad scent at all, and in fact quite playful! If I weren't hoping for more of the original, I wouldn't have been disappointed in the slightest. I'm keepin' my bottle for when my original finally runs out.

Wet: Strawberry-ish vanilla creamiscle. Funny i dont get much cherry here. It's very subdue and not at all mediciney!(yay)

Dry: Got warmer and lighter. The vanilla here fades a bit but something "creamy" still lurks around. At this point I dont smell the cherries anymore but still can with strawberry!(more yays..i love strawberry notes).

Verdict: I'm glad I didnt get the "cheese cake" vibe. The strawberry-ish vanilla cream smells more like the frosting on a cupcake...It's also got that wet berry candy(lollipop) vibe in the blend. Its sweet and candy- like quality makes Beavor moon really girlie! :P

Beaver Moon 2007

After reading such fabulous reviews of the original Beaver; I don't think I even looked at the ingredients before ordering!

In the bottle;

Smells an awful lot like MB:Bloody Mary, which was almost nothing but sour milk on me - but this is the Beaver Moon, surely it will behave more to my liking! ::crosses fingers::

On my Skin, Wet:

OMG - strawberry delight!! This reminds me of the strawberry & bavarian cream dessert at La Madeliene! ONLY INFINITELY BETTER!!!!

On my Skin, Dry:

Sugary sweet strawberry! luscious cream! And something a little bit pie-crust like....hmmm......

Verdict:

Thank you, thank you Beth for bringing this moon back this year!! :P

Edited by Akurarei

In the bottle: Cherries and vanilla cream. The cherries smell more like sugary maraschino cherries than cough syrup or fresh cherries.

Wet: The vanilla cream is really strong, but the cherries and strawberries are still there.

Dry: Delicious smelling! This somehow turned into vanilla cake with cherries and strawberries and vanilla frosting. It's pretty sweet, but in a good way. This is a fun, playful scent. I can't compare it to the original because I've never smelled it, but I love this one!

In bottle: Wonderful, creamy, sweet cherry. Nothing sour, nothing plasticy, nothing cough syrupy, nothing soapy. <33

Wet: Something goes sharp as soon as it touches my skin. No idea which note it is - it's not anything I could detect while in the bottle. But it's still fruity and has a creamy undertone, just with something sharp over the top.

Dry: After only a few minutes the beloved sweetness went away and I'm left with something that smells like woods gone sour. I'll definitely have to buy my first scent locket for this one; it was so good in the bottle. :P

In comparison to MB: Bloody Mary, it's a less creamy sweet and more of a sugary sweet cherry. It also feels more like a "foody" scent and less like the "fruity" scent I consider Bloody Mary to be.

Edited by likie

This one is really really beautiful. There is something in here which reminds me of Hungry Ghost Moon (of all things) it's a beautiful green note of some sort which keeps the rest of the runaway cherry and cream and vanilla from becoming too very very. I love this one and am so glad I got at least one bottle (not to mention the shirt, too). Mmmm. A classic.

beavermoon.jpg

In the bottle: :D Whoa yum, this smells like yellow cake with a hint of strawberry. I think I'm gonna be in trouble here...

Wet on skin: Turns to sweet strawberry candies, with a baked cheesecakey vanilla frosting background.

Dried down: This is a beautiful Soft strawberry, with maraschino cherries (not dark cherries, this is candied), and delicious creamy vanilla frosting/cheesecake. It's AWESOME!!!!! :P

Throw: I put this on twice before leaving my house, slathering my wrists and neck, and sadly it eventually stayed very close to my skin. The first half hour in the car it had great throw, but after the drydown, it was very subtle and I had to sniff my wrist to notice it. It lasted for a good 6 hours, but like I said, it was pretty much for my enjoyment only.

Overall: I am in love with this scent, and I will use it sparingly so I can enjoy it for a long time. I'll have to use it on days where I don't want a huge perfume aura, and would rather just hint at my deliciousness. (wait What?) hehehe

I think this is more unique than the original Beaver Moon, but it is not as strong. One of my precioussssessss for sure though.......

ETA: After it's aged a bit, the berries become a little less sugary (still sweet, but not as candy-ish). The cheesecake also comes out a bit more than it did when it was new. I am still completely in lurve!

I put some in my scent locket today, and I'm gonna enjoy it to the fullest!

Edited by AEris

Oh yum. This is absolutely delectable.

Wet I get a strong cherry note, almost exclusively. As it begins to dry there's a distinct cake-y smell, like vanilla cake batter before it's baked, that pushes the cherry into the background. Just as it's about to get overwhelming, the strawberry comes up and it all blends together amazingly.

The throw is very very subtle, and as AEris mentioned is only really detectable for about half an hour unless I go nose-to-wrist and sniff for it. It does last for a long time, but even if I slather it on it stays very light. Usually I like a more distinct throw, so I'll be hunting for a locket or something to make this stand out a bit more.

Even with the subtle throw, I am so in love with this oil! I'm glad I bought three bottles of this, it's definitely one I'm going to hoard.

Now THIS is delicious. I have to say that I didn't care for the original Beaver Moon (*dodges bricks*) - I know people loved it, but on me it was just a sort of nutty vanilla. THIS Beaver Moon though, is everything I had hoped for. Foody, delicious and tangy vanilla frosting with softly sweet strawberries and cherries. It smells like a cherry cupcake - the fruit isn't really "fruity" per se - the whole scent smells foody and dessert like to me.

The first time I tried this on it seemed a little powdery/plastic to me. I must have been having a weird skin chemistry that day because ever since then I have had nothing but creamy vanilla and berries! It's delicious and I am so glad I got a bottle!

Copied/pasted from the other(wrong) BM thread :P

This one makes me smile. :D

It's such a happy, fun scent! It starts out all strawberry and cherry (more strawberry than cherry though) and it dries down to a yummy smelling cupcake with strawberry frosting!

Sweet and lighthearted this is.......and it lasts on my skin too, which, in this case, is a definite bonus! ( I only have the one bottle, because of my newly instated no-hoarding rule ).

In the bottle - I get that sour note I associate with the first Beaver Moon. It's not really a note I'm fond of.

Wet: Wow - this smells like crunchberries! (For those outside the US, there's a children's cereal called Captain Crunch that has berry-ish little balls in it. This smells just like the cereal.) No noticible sour note. It's sort of a strawberry smell, but not just strawberry. Others have said they smell the cherry, but the secondary smell is just not that distinct for me. What others smell as "cake" seems to be the "cereal" scent for me.

Dry: This fades down a bit. The cereal note is less pronounced. I'll be curious to see how well it lasts through the day.

Edited to add: That sour note is back - but it's faint.

This is a scent cousin to the original Pink Moon (which I'm very fond of.) Also to Pink Phoenix.

I like this. I didn't really expect to, but then I'm a huge original Pink Moon fan.

Edited by hologhost

I adored Bloody Mary and the first Beaver Moon, so getting a bottle of this was a no-brainer. It's downright tasty, this one. Wet, it reminds me of a cherry/strawberry Tweedledee, of all things--it's got that same fruit loops cereal smell about it. Yummy! As it dries the cake note comes out more and what's left smells just like strawberry cheesecake. Seriously delicious!

The throw is, as others have said, subtle. But if you spend a lot of time around people who walk around going "What smells like cake??? Share it!" as my coworkers do whenever I wear something foody, subtle throw can be a good thing. I can enjoy Beaver Moon without being hassled!

BEAVER MOON 2007

Wet: In the bottle this smells a bit like cheesecake with swirls of red and a pile of juicy red fruit on top.

Dry: On my skin this turns into a very "pink" smelling, playful scent! It smells just like blended strawberry ice cream with a lacing of strawberries and cherries. This starts out creamy, turns more fruity, then ends with a little zing of cherry incense as it fades off.

I LOVE this so much and the cheeky concept behind it makes it even more appealing. I really wish I had bought more because it's one that I am going to enjoy wearing often. If you like this version of Beaver Moon, other similar scents on me are Pink Phoenix, Strawberry Moon, and Chaos Theory III: CCLXXV.

This smells like berry cheesecake to me. It's delicious.

The berry notes aren't overpowering at all--they don't amp on my skin as they sometimes can. They are just sliding over the top of that sweet, creamy base. I swear I can almost smell a bit of almond, but maybe it's my imagination. The berries stay strong for hours too, the entire time it's drying. I thought they would fade and all I would smell over time would be the creamy vanilla base but I have been proved wrong. The fragrance lasted for hours--I even went to bed smelling it everywhere.

I love this version of Beaver Moon. I smell like a dessert. And the label is so damn cute.

Oh! I'm in love, I'm in so much love! Beaver moon is divine! Seriously, I want to simultaneously have sex with and eat my own arm!!

I just had to say that before I started my (more or less) formal review:

In the bottle: WTF! It smells a teensy bit like rancid cherry cough syrup!! Am I doomed from the start! :D

Wet on the skin: Now that is more like it! The berries are starting to comingle and there's just a hint of somthing creamy underneath. Intriguing, but I have a feeling it's just going to get better...

Drying on the skin: OMFG!! I smell altenately like stawberry ice cream and a grown-up version of strawberry shortcake. And, now begins the lustful/canabalistic feelings towards my arm. :P

Verdict: Please don't tell me I only bought one bottle!!!! Alas, it is true. Off to the Wanted thread for me. I must find more!!!

Scale of yum: :D :D :) ;) B) Five yums, the highest honor a scent can receive from me!

Oh, yum. I feel like I'm cheating on the previous version, but this one is lovely -- creamy berries, sophisticated vanilla... tes, strawberry cheesecake with a marascino cherry.

Not much to add, but this is just wonderful.

Very sweet and edible - I want to lick my arm off!! It smells like strawberry cheesecake, with a hint of vanilla. In the bottle, it's very cherry-ish and syrupy, but once on, it settles to become a really yummy, sweet blend. It's probably a bit too foody to be a favourite scent of mine (although I do love strawberry & cherry scents, but the vanilla gives it more of a "cake" smell), but it really is a fun scent to wear.

Once I got over the fact that this is not the original formula, I was able to be a little more objective about it.

I kept asking my husband if I smelled like strawberry shortcake dolls, to which he replied, "Uh, not that I can recall, but seeing as how I didn't have one of those..." Heh. I get a plasticky scent that really does remind me of those dolls, though. It's sort of like fruity hard candy, when it first goes on, and then plastic. I have a feeling that this will age well, and I can't smell the plastic unless I'm huffing my wrist. Otherwise it smells like creamy berries. I'm hoping it gets cheesecakier as time marches on. Hoping!

The label is so cute, and it's a very pretty scent- it will be wonderful in the springtime. I will be holding on to this one.

Holy Wow.

I opened this one and passed the cap around for sniffs - and we all said "Whoa!" or something similar.

In the bottle: Buttery cakey cake cake. Suggestion of berries.

On: Creamy cheesy cake, with a little sweet strawberry. It's strawberry shortcake with a much creamier cake. The longer it's on my skin, the more I can smell the berries and fruity sweetness - but it stays balanced with the creamy cake. I can see where the scented dolls comparison comes in - but it's barely there, and nostalgic in a lovely way. I can't wait for the Boy to smell this one, so I can get nibbled :)

Final verdict: Nomnomnomnomnom :D :D :P