Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The incense-tinged scent of forbidden tomes and the musk-laden remnants of infernal servants.

In the decant: light incense and quite sweet, 'perfumey' musk. It's a rather faint scent.

Wet on me: The musk perks up and this begins to smell slightly cologne-like, reminiscent of October but much lighter. I can smell a bit of paper underneath the musk. Rather spicy.

After a few minutes: A slightly musty scent, like the library isn't aired too often. The musk is still spicy and a little nose-tickling; a touch bitter. Masculine.

Drydown: The musk is still sweet yet masculine and pretty good; I think I'd enjoy this scent more if it weren't so stale. My nose is reading the paper note as a stuffy-room note and that makes the musk smell slightly, well, unwashed.

Not a sweet incense scent; a musky masculine scent.

The Lurid Library - For the first hour, this smells like men's cologne, or really bad Avon perfume from the 1970s. It's kind of embarrassing to be wearing it around people. Yes, it's that bad on me. After about an hour, it becomes much more of a skin scent and while the cologne quality is still there, it's not as "cheap" smelling and it's backed up by a good amount of what smells like vanilla musk. It's really not that bad at this point and something I would actually really love to smell on my husband...but only if I don't have to be around him during that first hour while it stinks.

At first, I only smell a light incense.

When it dries, it occurs to me: This is the scent that I wanted Dee to be! Dee went herbal on me, but this stays old, magical incense. I'm not getting the nefarious notes here. The tomes do not seem to be forbidden, nor the past servants infernal. It's just a wonderful old library under thick dust. :P

There is something floral, but my skin eats pale florals, so all is well... it's just a nice, sweet note very much in the background on me, blending with the dustiness for that "old book not opened for centuries" scent. I wish the incense were a bit more pronounced, though. :D Maybe my skin is eating a that, too?

Edited by Grifyn

The Lurid Library, dusty incense. It is very light, a bit of sweet musk, and the dusty incense. I can smell the old books, that dry papery smell they get with age. A keeper.

The Lurid Library was favorite of mine from my initial sniffing of my decants while they were still in their vials On my scrambled notepad from when I first tried it on, I wrote that it smelled of antique perfume, aged books, and old antiques that have recently been polished clean. It's not so lovely on me though, which is heartbreaking. On me this is like a sharp, white floral perfume of the variety that gives me migraines. I immediately thought of sharp tuberose or opium poppy when this blend hit my skin. Perhaps it's the musk that's go so intensely perfumey on me. After waiting this out for a half hour there are hints of something wonderful underneath that sharp perfume, something that truly smells like aged paper. The boldly perfumey notes just kill the greatness of this blend. The Lurid Library is like bottled headache for me :P

Wet: It starts out quite dusty. I almost want to sneeze at it.

Drydown: Oh, it's starting to go incense..

Later: Aaand its musty. I'm in the bottom floor of a damp building and get enough musty at work.

Verdict: No thanks.

Lurid Library smells like my favorite used bookstores, which are both in basements if you can believe that. It's a lot like Misk U to my nose, but this time much more book smell and none of the sweetness that's in Misk U. Imp's definitely a keeper, and I may well want a bottle. :P

The Lurid Library reminds me very much at first of a traditional, victiorian like men's cologne. There is a slight sharpness, but mostly a regal cologne combined with a slight dustiness. I am reminded very much of Dee, and also of Riding the Goat when I put this one. However, this blend morphs a lot with wear and turns into a softer musky scent- I swear I can detect a hint of something floral, as well. The dustiness all but vanishes within an hour of wear.

I do enjoy this scent, it is very evocative of a haunted library, but it sticks so close to my skin and is very very faint. I don't even think slathering would help this one. Perhaps if it ages it might be a bit richer, but I don't know if I want to splurge on a bottle to find out if I'm right or not...

Oh this scent is better than I could have ever imagined!! not only does it smell like inscense and tomb, but also the musky smell of old books and literally the smell of an old library. Its beyond amazing!!

This is a hard scent to describe. It smells a bit masculine to me, but not overly. It's still something I'd wear myself.

It smells like... like comfort. Something familiar. Your favorite chair, or blanket, or sweater. It smells lived-in and loved. It's completely and totally inoffensive. There's nothing about it at all that I find off-putting or slightly off, or like there's some component in it that doesn't seem to match the rest. It's... you know, it's like that scent on your lover's pillow. Not just his/her cologne/perfume, but the scent of his/her skin and hair, and clothing, and shampoo, and all those things that go into making the person smell like the person. It's like that. All those individual comforting scents mixed up into one, and there's nothing else like it in the world.

I would like to never be without some of this oil.

sraight sniff from bottle is watery and musky and rooty...

once applied the earthy aroma comes forefront; combined with deep, dark musk...amazing

The Lurid Library is a musky, woody scent. Thankfully, I don't get paper or dust in this one (ala Misk U, which was a papery, dusty mess on me). It actually smells VERY similar to Mme Moriarty on me. Only a tinge of sweetness, and the rest is all woody musky goodness :P

The Lurid Library

In the bottle: a soft golden musk with incense and dusty paper. Smells very promising!

Wet on skin: dusty books and the shelves they rest on, as well as a manly, leathery musk.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is gorgeous. Golden incense smoke, old books, a hint of wooden shelves and musk. It reminds me both of Aziraphale and Dee (more like Dee, in fact, but gentler) a lot less cologne-like and less woodsy than Aziraphale, and less leathery and tonka-y than Dee. This reminds me of something from Dogs Playing Poker-maybe the incense from Riding the Goat, but this is more like the lingering scent of incense clinging to yellowed pages instead of mahogany panelling, there's none of the tobacco. The musk is smooth, warm, and almost fuzzy. It reminds me of another BPAL but I can't say which one. It's a dusty scent, but in a good way-it feels powdery, old and worn, and ancient. This is what I was hoping Clio would smell like.

After a while: this has become a lot fainter, but not in a bad way. I see what the other reviewers mean about this scent being ghostly, spacious, or a scent that can just be glimpsed from the corner of the nose. It's very ephemeral, soft, muted. Now I smell less of the musk and more of the dusty, faded papery book notes…I'm amazed as to how much this does smell like old books! I still smell the incense smoke, which is now even more like a faded yet distinctly resinous-woodsy scent (there's definitely frankincense here) which now seems to cling to the dust that covers the room. I also get a hint of leather, and this is like a less intense Dee.

This does seem to get fainter, not as throwy, but that glow of golden musk and papery incense still lingers. It's still gorgeous and it's one of those nuzzly scents where my nose is glued to my wrist and doesn't want to let go.

And then just as soon as it threatens to leave, the scent returns, this time with more musk, that lovely warm snuggly musk which is tinged with incense. This is powdery, and that's a compliment…there's a crumbly feel to it now, a mix of ashes and dust, still with that papery undertone. Now I am reminded of the dusty incense from Carfax Abbey, but without the strong herbs and violet notes from that scent.

The drydown of this scent is that wonderful bookish musk (a softer version of Devil's Night's thuggish musk) and wispy incense…I think I'm having another nose-glued-to-wrist moment! I don't get anything remotely floral in this scent, other than perhaps the faintest hint of orris for that powdery old feel?

Verdict: this is amazing. I liked Aziraphale and love Dee, but this one tops them when it comes to smelling of books. At first the old books and a musk note are prominent in here, with a hint of incense which lingers in the room, and I also catch a hint of leather binding of the books, and centuries of dust gathered on the shelves. I get the impression of a room with a faint hint of ghostly scent as opposed to a full on perfume. I find the scent very inviting…it makes me want to open those books that haven't been opened for so long, blow the dust off the pages, and discover the secrets that lie within these tomes. It's a quiet scent, but this quietness works here… libraries are quiet places after all! The incense note is gorgeous-soft and smoky and a little ashy, like resins that have just burnt. The dusty papery-woodsy notes of the library itself are spot on. And the musk is gorgeous and comforting, a gentle and slightly golden warm musk. Oddly, though this smells gentle close to the skin, it has surprising waft! the more I wear it, the more I love it. it's very unisex-I think a man would smell wonderful wearing this (imagine smelling this on a sexy bookish guy, I'm drooling at the thought) but it also smells beautiful on me. the perfect scent to wear when curling up on a rainy day with a good book. This is love.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes-and I need more!

If you like this, try: Dee, Aziraphale, Clio, Mr Ibis, Mr Jaquel, Riding the Goat, Carfax Abbey

I was dying to have this one. I've wanted a paper scent for such a long time. Something that actually smells like thick, dry paper because that's one of my favorite scents in the world.

This is musky and very, very dry. It smells like a small, closed space. And....the thick paper smell. Though the musk is dominant, the paper smell is very clear. It's like I'm pressing my face into the open bindings of a new book. But the dusty notes surrounding it makes it feel like a forgotten new book that has been sitting on a dusty shelf for so long that it has almost sealed itself shut. The outer spine is coated in dust and faint incense ash, and as you go to open it you have to crack the pages open carefully. The pages have never been touched, but are so old that they are crumbling around the edges. Coupled with a barely perceptible wood note, this is perfect.

After it's been sitting on my skin for a few hours it's a little sweet and still holds a light musk note. It actually smells so good on me, and very comforting. I love this--it's my favorite of the Haunted House series.

Very musky and dusty. Doesn't remind me much of a library though until it dries. Then it gets this nice book smell, like going down into the stacks and sticking your nose into a pile of tomes. Glad I only got a decant though, because it's not something I'm looking to smell like.

In the imp: Musk and pinesol.

Wet: Musk and pinesol.

Drydown: Pinesol.

:P

Imagine Antique Lace and Smut consumating their relationship on a Victorian book of love poems with dry violets pressed inside. My new favorite... :P

In the bottle: Light musk and incense, with a touch of dust.

Wet: Light musk and incense, with dusty parchment. It's different from the dust/old books in Misk U, much softer and not as dusty.

Drydown: Oh heavens this is beautiful! Soft and sweet, yet on the dry side. The incense and parchment is at the forefront, with the musk behind it giving it some depth and warmth. It's bringing to mind an old darkened book store that's small and crowded with old and rare books. An occult book store to be precise, where there are candles flickering in the corners and the faint residue of incense drifting around.

Dry: The longer it's on the better it gets! I knew I'd more than likely love this, my only fear was that the parchment would turn to too strong dust on my skin as is almost the case with Misk U. But it doesn't! This is parchment and old books, not dust. Once completely dry it is very much underneath the musk and incense, with the musk now dominant. There's actually an almost musty note to it very briefly in the background as well, but as someone who loves the smell of old books this appeals to me greatly. It doesn't last long in any case.

It has a decent amount of soft throw which is even more gorgeous than the skin scent. Which I'm completely besotted with as well.

This is heavenly and I need another bottle.

as an incense-loving librarian, this should be my signature scent! you really do smell that dusty, papery, slightly mildewed scent of old books. yet the musk and incense make this a warm and, yes, sexy blend. the incense is patchouli-heavy and seems very similar to my beloved Urd. i couldn’t smell the “books” note in Miskatonic University so i’m really glad i can pick it out here. must have a bottle and wear to work frequently :P

This scent really is what the title implies. It has the scent of an old dusty library with leather bound books. It's not overpowering, but it is long lasting on me. I love this! I bought a bottle for myself because it goes so well with my bookish personality. :P

ZOMG this is amazing.

I'm drawn to the idea, but realistically, I wasn't sure how much I'd wear a light, dusty scent. I just don't wear light, dry scents so much.

I originally bought Miskatonic U hoping that it would smell like Barnes & Noble. I amp sweet, so the coffee aspect seems to overwhelm the paper notes of that scent. I got Lurid Library hoping I'd like it on its on, but intending to layer it with Miskatonic.

In the bottle it's a bit dry and sharp with a touch of musk. It doesn't seem to morph a great deal throughout its wear life. It's dry, with a musty quality, and just a slight touch of musk. It's a dark musk, maybe similar to Brown Jenkins, but not at all oily or cologney. It mostly serves to add depth and anchor the scent.

Wear life is average to good. Although the scent is light and not at all overbearing, the throw is surprisingly good.

This really does smell EXACTLY like a library or used book store. It's fantastic. I'd definitely wear it on its own, and it turns out, it is PERFECT for layering with Miskatonic U! Together, it's rich, dry, papery goodness with a hint of sweet coffee.

this smells like spicy-incensy musk. it reminds me A LOT of the cracked bell, but the cracked bell has that metallicness to it and is a bit stronger. i like this one a lot, but i think i have a lot of other scents that are similar that i'm not sure if it's a keeper or not.

Hmm... not sure what to make of this one. I was hoping for the incense and paper, but instead I get a bit of moldering books (dirt-y smelling) and musk. Lots of musk. And the musk (I keep wanting to write must, I think that´s Freudian :P ) is cologney.

The dirty smell with musk reminded me a LOT of Penny Dreadful, so I put her on my other hand (hers is a favorite rainy day/humid smell for me, very earthy and spicy) and I see a LOT of similarities. However, as Penny remains spicy and dirty and wet smelling, lurid library is colonge musky and fades extremely fast... leaving a ghostly reminder but nothing more in about 20 minutes. So, I´ll keep my bottle of Penny and probably trade off my decant. No harm no foul.

Initial reaction: "Yum...?" the original enjoyment trailing off questioningly. On my skin, Lurid Library is like its description but faded; unusually, the throw has more scent than up next to skin. Later on, when it's well dry, it's just faded. Freshening it helps, but then I get a cologne-tinged scent, and if I were to get another bottle along these lines, I'd get Aziraphale.