Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

bottle: tart cherry and perhaps plum? this are very sharp fruit scents.

wet: this is tart, almost sour, cherries with spices and cream all over the top. very strong throw.

dry: no more vanilla or spices, just strong fruits. mainly cherry i suppose, but there is a nice hint of plum and maybe pomegranate. very red.

Juicy red fruity scent with a wonderful roundess from the cream and sugar. A total winner! The cherries don't dominate rudely (something some people love, I know, but I just don't), and I think I'm smelling strawberry, also.

It is wearing longer than I expected, as well. Bloody Mary smells just about how I was hoping it to, except a little better. Very wearable and fun! I like it.

4.5 out of 5

I remember when this first came out earlier this year..this was the one that I simply HAD to have. Red fruits,,the black clotted cherry…the powdered sugar…it just seemed so awesome. I love me some black cherry and I was sure that this would be my signature “foody” fragrance.

I was so besotted over it that I ordered 2 bottles outright…just to make sure I had enough of the precious…

I’ve tried it twice..and tonight will be the third time.

Initial sniff from bottle: Ugghh…every freaking time I have sniffed this it always give me a slightly gag reaction..the glistening red fruits and clotted black cherry register to my nose as almost medicinal cherry cough syrup. This isn’t good..for as a child I literally could not keep cough syrup down..I would throw it up due to it’s foul stench. This comes awfully close to that..and the reality of this makes me weep..I so wanted this to work. :)

Applied wet on skin: Still slightly medicinal..slightly fake cherry fruit with an overlay of cream. Gosh..I so wish this translated better on me. :D

Couple of minutes on skin: Slightly better..becoming a bit more cherry vanilla with the powdered sugar coming in but the cherries still retain a tad of the medicinal fakeness on me.

Ten minutes later: Same as above but softened up considerably..this fades fast on me..cherries have lost their medicinal punch..thankfully.

It’s tolerable..but alas not what I was hoping for… :P

Lasting power on me is difficult; I’m lucky if I get 3+hours. Throw on me is soft.

Bottom Line: MB Bloody Mary I had such high hopes for you. The opening is really difficult for me..if I can make it past the first 5 min or so it becomes tolerable. Tolerable but not something I can ever find myself reaching for often. I will keep one bottle for sentimental value but the other needs to go. :D

Vanilla cherry. Oh man so yummeh!!! Unfortunately I have only a small amount from a sniffie to try, and I am soooo using it sparingly!! I LOVE this scent!!!!!!! Totally vanilla cherry. Maybe a bit of cream deep beneath it all.

in the bottle: like strawberry vanilla ice cream. yum!

wet on skin: the strawberry morphs into cherry. TREMENDOUS throw!

dry down: the fruit becomes more complex. i can pick out notes of plum, cherry, perhaps pomegranite too. the cream is there, but more subtle.

in all: i like! a little more sugary than i had quite anticipated, but a lovely, fruity scent. will keep!

:P

In vial: wow! Definitely red fruits and cream. Nice!

Wet on skin: red, red, red! Sweet and fruity, yet also perfumy - it doesn't smell of candy. Lovely!

Dry on skin: if it was candy, it would be those round cherry drops with white cream in the middle that I remember from childhood. But there's something else there too that I can't quite put my finger on - I wonder if it's a musk? And definitely some vanilla. This is gorgeous stuff!

The first sniff of this was really artificial and disappointing; I needn't have worried. After a few minutes it settles down to rich cherry and vanilla in almost equal amounts, with a dusting of powdered sugar on the top. The powdered sugar really does come through and is really evocative.

Am going to have to obtain a bottle of this, somehow.

Out of all the BPAL berry scents, this one is my favorite. After months of aging, I think Bloody Mary is at its peak: it's juicy berries and thick cream. Yum! I love this one because not only do I smell like a strawberry shortcake, but I feel cute and kinda flirty when I wear this. If you like Beaver Moon 2007, I think you would do well to hunt down a bottle of Bloody Mary. This is a BPAL that wold be best worn in the summer, but it's also good for cold winter days when you need a little comfort.

4.5/5

Somebody mentioned strawberry incense. I agree, except that cream note is there, with a nice drizzle of sweet, sweet cherry. AWESOME!! This scent is *absolutely* yum!

In the bottle: Sweet syrupy cherries (not the fake kind!) over cream.

On: Powdered sugar with a faint hint of caramel. The sugar smells so real it's almost scary. On drydown, the cream and cherry mix into the sugar along with some super juicy red fruit. This scent literally screams 'red!'. Hours later everything is still there, a little fainter, but still as delicious.

Verdict: :D :P

Last summer, I made candied cherry and toasted almond ice cream. The cherries were dripping with the syrup I made for them before I folded them into the ice cream, which had a vanilla flavor with toasted almond mixed into all the creamyness. That is pretty much what this smells like to me. I definitely also get some powdered sugar, though thankfully no medicinal scent that others have mentioned.

I'm wearing it in a scent locket as well, and actually get a black licorice scent from that. Weird what our skin chemistry will do to a scent. To me, this is like Teenage Cannibal's experienced, goth older sister. Both are incredibly sweet, but Bloody Mary definitely WANTS to be sinister, whereas Teenage Cannibal can't help the way she is.

Glad a lovely forumite sent me this as part of a swap!

Edited by scarletgenesis

I haven't had much luck with bpal's cherry so far, but I had to give this one a shot because it sounded so yummy! It's a bit medicinal in the bottle so I'm hoping that cough syrup smell dies down when this is on my skin.

Hmm.

Hmm.

This definitely isn't bad. It's not as good as I would have hoped though. It is a bit artificial, and there is some dark kind of note running under this that is kind of throwing me off. It might be that "incense" smell that other people were commenting on. It smells good from far away, but up too close and it's kind of weird.

I liked the other reviewer who compared this to Teenage Cannibal. They definitely seem like they would be sisters! I prefer Cannibal, but Mary is growing on me. It smells better and better on drydown.

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep this, but I have the feeling I won't be able to part with it, especially when I start running low on Cannibal. Rich, creamy, naughty cherries!

Edited by Suu4LC

Very cherry and a bit cough mediciney. Does not work well on my skin - it amps up and gives me quite a headache. Probably a good scent locket blend. I like this worn with Midway.

Expectations: Cherry cordials without the chocolate, and doughnuts without the cake. I sure hope to like it, as it's the only bottle I own so far and was purchased completely on impulse.

In bottle: Cherry Kool-Aid. No cream or sugar yet.

On skin, wet: Mmm. Still mostly cherry, but now it's real cherries instead of a powdered drink mix. I improvised an applicator by cutting the tip off a Q-tip, and a bit of oil got up into the center of it and led to me applying a smidge more than I'd intended. So I imagine this scent is going to be powerful.

On skin, dry: So very sweet. The cherry is very strong, with just a hint of the cream and sugar. I can tell they're in there from the sweetness, but can't pick them out as individual notes. I hope that over time the cherry will fade just the tiniest bit and let the other notes have more of a presence.

After time: After 30 minutes, I'm surrounded in a cloud of sweet, sweet cherries. The cream is stronger now, but sticks close to the skin.

Conclusion: Yum, yum, yum! I was worried about this since a lot of my early BPAL purchases were based on complete cluelessness about what would actually work on me. But this one turned out to be a fabulous choice. I'll just need to be a wee bit more careful about the amount I apply, as I think the current scent cloud would knock over anyone in my path.

I'm a cherry-hater, but Bloody Mary works for me. It strongly reminds me of Eat Me and Beaver Moon 07, and there is enough of a cakeish note that I would think most Foodies would line up for this one!

This is easily one of my absolute favorite perfumes of all time. It couldn't be more perfect for me. :P

In the bottle: Sugar and cherries cherries cherries. I think the other fruits might be lurking in the background, but I mostly get a strong cherry scent.

Wet: Same as in the bottle. <3

Dry: The sugar and cream come out a LOT more as it dries, so that they're almost the main scent. It blends with the cherry so amazingly well, I can never get over how wonderful it smells. Or how long it lasts! It's one of the few perfumes I wear that I can smell hours and hours after applying it.

I need to hunt down another bottle soon. The rate I'm going through it scares me!

Sweet, sticky staining cherry candy with just the perfect amount of puckering tart. Like the best cherry candy you've ever wanted to taste...Wet on the skin Bloody mary makes my mouth water. I put some on the little one sometimes, & he says "It makes me eat sugar candy!". So...uhm..he thinks it's very evocative, as well :P

This dries down to a slightly more conservative version of itself, becoming softer, creamier and more sophisticated as a touch of almond peeks through. Good throw and wearlength - the fruit notes are sturdy in this blend. It's a teensy bit medicinal, but only when your nose is up right up against it (which it will be, believe me).

Can't really say enough about this. Completely bottle-worthy - no questions asked. :D

Initial Thoughts: Once upon a time I never would have considered this scent. But having discovered that I actually really, really love sugary, fruity, foody scents, I'm quite looking forward to it. Notes wise, I'm expecting the sweet creamy redness from Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal without the sharp citrus or the florals.

In the bottle: Licorise allsorts?

I get licorise from things quite frequently when I shouldn't, but this is definately a heavy sweet rather than a sickly sweet. It smells pleasantly like red gummi bears. Mmmmm...

On the wrist, wet: Wow. The oil is bright yellow - tumeric yellow - which gave me quite a shock as obviously, you can't pick it out in the amber bottles. Smell wise - no, I'm STILL getting the licorise allsorts! It's more 'allsorts' than 'licorise' though. Less fruity than I was expecting.

Twenty minutes later: Well, more or less twenty minutes - I can't wait any longer, I've been getting wafts of gummibear goodness this whole time!

This is settling down now - into something heavy and slightly overripe and darkly sweet. It's not the candy scent I was expecting at ALL, although it does still have some gummi bear qualities. It's dark and a bit vicious and just a little psychotic. Unfortunately, it's also rather sour and a little bit... hmmm. Off.

Verdict: Swap, it can't replace Teenage Cannibal in my fruity sweet stakes.

Tl;Dr: Psychotic, murderous red gummi bears, which sours on the dry-down.

I want to love it!

:P

But alas, on me the cherries are quite cloying.

Also, after one hour, i smell exactly like cherry chapstick. Not good.

EDIT: After 2 hours, the sweet cream comes to the fore and is rather light and tasty. Requires more testing!

Edited by nightbiscuit

How disappointed I was!! This smelled like plastic, cheap, air freshener for the car. Grrrggghhh....

ADDED April 16:

wet: sickly sweet cherry; medicinal; no cream at all...

dry: sickly cherry smell has faded; now it's a nice creamy cherry; touch of sugar

From the bottle--a little like cherry cough syrup--with wood.

On the skin, it gets better though. It sweetens up and I get red fruits and woods. But the sharpness of the cherry remains--I get almost overripe bing cherry that's a tad bitter.

It's an interesting scent--something different for me. The bottle artwork is appropriately creepy :P.

(It's a nightmare image for me--I have a fear of anything bad being done to my eyes!)

In Vial: Sweet sugar and berries

Wet: Cough syrupy sweet with a fake berry scent.

Dry: Fake strawberries. I have tried several of bpal's blends containing a strawberry note and they all smell fake to me.

This has a deep, dark cherry scent, which I loved at first. However, my friends all noted that I smelled like a scented candle, and I had to agree. On some applications I've gotten a slight ammonia smell, too - I'm not sure if that's from aging, though.