Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Mmm...Bloody Mary! In the bottle it smells to me like a blend of cherries and strawberries with a slight creaminess to it. On my skin it smells like a local bakery's strawberry and rhubarb pie with whipped cream on top! Mmmm...it's my favorite dessert, so of course this is a gorgeous delicious scent for me!

ETA: So glad I bought two bottles of this so I can enjoy them! Edited by Shollin

In the bottle and on my skin at first this seems to war between wanting to smell like cherry pie and wanting to smell like strawberry bubble gum. It smells hyper sweet at first, and then more tart and cherry pie-esque for a while.

The comparisons to scented My Little Pony & Strawberry Short Cake dolls are pretty accurate for me. It does smell like cherry/strawberry scented dolls. It's simple and cheap smelling (almost plasticy or musky). This is definitely a fakely sweet cherry and cream rather than a true or decadent one on my skin. And I do find that strangely appealing, though I'm not sure I'd ever wear this. After a half hour or so, this takes on an especially cheap, trashy, musky sort of smell.

Bloody Mary really makes me think of dolls. It kinda makes me want to put on some over the top makeup, wear something cutesy and doll-like, and sit around smiling like a mindless pretty-something. I don't know if I like this or if it's just scary. :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

In the imp: It reminds me to panetone, which is an italian fruitcake. Fruity and cakey.

On Skin: Medicinal cherry. It starts to sweeten up as it dries.

On Drydown: REALLY sweet cherries. Creamy sweet cherries.

After several hours: sweet powder.

Verdict: This is quite a deliciously foody/juicy scent. Unfortunately, it ends up way too sweet on my skin. This is not horrific at all... but rather tooth-achingly inducingly girlish sweet.

In the bottle:

Cherries and cream! Mmm!

On skin wet:

Sugared cherries and red fruits. There's something else coming through that smells a bit like alcohol, too, though I could be wrong.

Dried down:

It smells "new toy" plastic, with a hint of cherry. It's also overly-sweet on my skin. I wanted this one to work, but alas... :P

Make sure you wait for the drydown on this one; it did almost a 180 on me.

in the bottle: sour cherry wine with grenadine poured over it and rubbing alcohol added

on me: Sweet natural cherries and creamy yogurt

dry (after at least ten minutes): Monsterbait: Closet but with cherries instead.. plus something like fresh blood. It is a sinister scent. Almost like a demon's interpretation of what sweet and creamy is.

Wet: Cherry cough medicine.

Drydown: Getting more interesting, a cherry scent (real cherries, so not too sweet) with a creaminess underneath.

Dry: What every summer fruits pudding aspires to be! A gorgeous, sexy blend of cherries, lifted by the sugar and warmed by the cream. Yum yum. It's like a less sweet version of Vice (which suits me just fine!).

Final Verdict: After the drydown, a cherry pudding sweetened by sugar and drizzled over with cream.

Rating: 4.5/5 (Loses half a point for the bad wet smell :P)

A sniffie from Meg - many thanks!

MB: Bloody Mary is incredibly strong and sweet and RED in the vial. Freshly applied to my skin, there is an instantaneous smell of maraschino cherries, but that disappears very quickly to be replaced by a sweet but sharp scent, like cough sweets. Unfortunately there is no creaminess to balance the sharpness of the scent, and it doesn't sit nicely on my skin as it is just TOO sweet/sharp and red.

Oh my word... I can't believe I nearly didn't buy this! It's bloody gorgeous! :P

It's a real childhood smell for me: it's the smell of ice cream floats made with cherryade. Sweet, fruity, sticky and creamy all at once.

It's got great staying power (a good 6 hours I reckon) and now it's finally fading away, I'm getting just an occasional waft of vanilla-ry sugar...

I loves it :D

i am not a big foody scent fan, but i love bordello and this is in the same vein, so i figured i'd give it a try. it smells a lot like bordello but more girlish and less sexy to me. perhaps it's the absence of the wine. i get an almost plastic note that i often do with these sort of scents, when i smell it closely. however, it smells great wafting up from my arm. i still like bordello better with my skin chemistry, but i'll probably keep my decant anyway.

Sweet berries and a hint of mellow cream was what I got during dry down. However, it turned and stayed cherry candy until it faded after two hours. Bloody Mary was a very red scent, which is something I love, but smelling like candy isn't my thing.

Delicious!! Wet, this is cherry vanilla ice cream. Dry, its lightly sugared cherries. Its a light scent but lasted a few hours on my skin. I'm so happy I got a last-minute bottle!

ETA: Now that this has aged, its more candied cherries in powder sugar. Its still delicious and one of my favourite Monsterbaits.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Wow, I'm glad I got two bottles of this, and an accidental third from the lab, so I've got enough to last me for a long time.

On me Bloody Mary turns mostly strawberries. They're sweet, yes, but they're also very fresh smelling, ripe but not overly so. There is a vanilla-esque note in there too that is absolutely yummy! It's got a nice throw for a couple of hours, after that I need to reapply.

This is a definite favorite of mine.

At first this is wonderful sweet sugared cherry liqueur. So decadantly yummy and I was already starting to eye off a bottle that's up for sale. However after about 30 minutes it becomes very sweet and somewhat cough medicine like. *sigh* I so wanted to love this, but this is exactly why I only got a decant since cherry is a very iffy note on my skin.

Wah! Bloody Mary hates me.

I bought two bottles, driven by the thought of a cherry cheesecake scent. Alas, I got a sort of dull acrid overtone, similar to what blu mentioned. Something in my skin chemistry and Bloody Mary combine to bring out a cherry tobacco note. It's like the lovechild from hell of a three-way between Hearth, Herr Dross, and Midway, what with the cream and powdered sugar on top. Alas, alas.

My heart, she breaks. Off to swaps, I fear.

In the Bottle:

Almost sour! This must be the cream note.

I can smell the red fruits - they remind me of cherries.

The sour note is the most prevalent though - almost entirely overpowering.

On my Skin, Wet:

::wrinkles nose::

Still sour - the fruits come out some more, but they don't really make it to front & centerstage.

They remind me more of the roadies for the Sour Cream Band.

On my Skin, Dry:

Not as sour now, but nor has the sourness dissipated enough to make the fruits worthwhile.

There does seem to be a little more sweetness at this stage than any other stage.

This must be the powdered sugar note! This note really does smell exactly like powdered sugar! amazing!

Trouble is - Bloody Mary is still mostly sour cream on me.

:P

Verdict:

4 of 10

I will be aging my bottles of this to see if the cream note calms down any.

if the results are the same after 6 months then it will be time to find new homes (or a single home) for my bottles.

When I first put this Bloody Mary on I was afraid...very afraid. Not of the possibility that it would attract the ghost in the mirror, but of the dreaded cough syrup smell that I associate with almost anything cherry. I hated the awful cherry robitussin that my mother made me take as a child and anything that reminds me of it turns me off immediately. So when this was wet I got that icky, sticky scent and I almost washed her off. But luckily I stuck it out and as soon as she dried down I was so happy that I did. The cherry is still there, but it is real cherry along with a hint of strawberry and sweet powdered sugar. It reminds me of when my grandmother used to serve us sliced up strawberries with powdered sugar over them to pull out the juice. Yummy! The scent continues to mellow but stays present for the entire day. I'm a little bit sad I didn't get a bottle of this one!

I was reeeeally excited to get my bottle of Bloody Mary--I adore the concept behind the Monster Baits, love sweet cherries, and had a childhood fascination with her, so I was reeeally hoping that she wouldn´t steer me wrong (my skin loves Kabuki, but turns the Red Queen to plastic).

When I first applied I went the sparing route... and initially thought I was disappointed. She did start off sweet and then dried down to the famed Strawberry Shortcake plastic doll skin smell. Which is novel, for sure, but not bottle worthy.

But I wasn´t ready to give up yet. I think Bloody Mary is a slatherer (which I usually am not, but... hey, duty calls, right?). So I upended the bottle on my wrist and then again on my other wrist, dabbed the cap on my shoulders, blotted off the oil around my arms and neck and got ready for bed. And I slept in a candy cherry powdered sugar dusted cloud, which was still wafting around me when I woke up this morning. Mmm! Not an every day scent, but a comfort and girlie scent for sure. :P

In bottle: mmm! Candied cherries!

On, wet: Sugary and very candy like-but not too sweet; there's a tangy fruitiness that comes out more as I sniff. Starts to remind me of...Skittles!

Drydown: a weird buttery scent came out for a while-is that the cream? kind of a dusty, nutty note I associated with the buttery-ness of some pumpkin scents that don't work on me...I thought uh-oh...but then it mellowed...became more like cherry vanilla ice cream perhaps?

Dry: about 10 mins later: Very fruity. I'm surprised at how fruity this is. I hardly get any vanilla or cream. that's ok though.

About 2 hours later: It's become a nice light fruity blend, still faintly there on my wrist. I like it. Good summer scent. :P

Bother.

I guess cream is a note I have to avoid. Just like in Gluttony and Misk U, the cream in Bloody Mary overpowers everything else on me. It smells weirdly syrupy and turns the cherries sour.

It smelled beautifully cherry-vanilla sweet in the imp...but it turned out to be a disappointment :P

In the bottle: mmm, smells like a fruity cake or pie-I can smell the buttery sugar coated crust, and a filling of berries and cherries! Delicious!

Wet on skin: now I smell more of the cherry, which smells almost like baked cherries than fresh ones. Still very sugary as well.

Dry on skin: mmm, this smells yummy! This smells like cherry pie! I smell cherry sauce-this is a much sweeter cherry than usual-not a sour cherry, with hints of currants and maybe even raspberry (yay, raspberry!), surrounded by warm pastry and topped with sugar! this is so wonderfully dessert-like, I want to eat myself. I'm amazed at how much I smell like a cherry tart right now. The cream…what cream? I can hardly smell it. I just smell fruits and sugary pastry. At times the cherry-sugar combination reminds me of lollipops, and I love that.

After a while: the pastry note fades away leaving behind the sugared cherries and hints of other fruits-but cherry dominates. It now smells more like lollipops than it did before. Loads of sugar, almost tooth-achingly sweet (but still delicious) with cherries. This is what I was hoping Jailbait would be like-that turned medicinal and smelt like cherry cough syrup. This on the other hand smells just like sugared cherries-or more likely, cherry flavoured sugar. It's such a fun scent!

The scent that remains after a few hours smells like I've spread sugary syrup or pink-coloured sugar crystals on my arm, or even rubbed a lollipop on my wrist, and the sugar has just crystallised on my skin. It's a pink and sugary scent, reminding me both of Treat #1 and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, that sugary cheerful scent with a touch of fruit to it. There may even be a hint of sugar plum to it, as it reminds me of Midwinter's Eve as well. I also smell a lovely vanilla-cream note, this is a good cream.

Verdict: this scent is so much fun, sugary and silly and full of smiles. At first, my favourite stage is when the scent reminds me of a cherry pie or tart, a gorgeous cherry-dominated red fruit and berry sauce surrounded by crumbly, lightly buttered and sugary pastry. Warm and baked and delicious, this smells so yummy. The drydown smells equally foody, just as edible but a lot sweeter…the scent turns from baked cherry tart to a cherry flavoured lollipop scent, lots and lots and lots of sugar with a sweet cherry flavour. Very sugary, almost enough to bring on the cavities, but the cherry note is a lot more realistic than most-not medicinal, not plastic-y. It's also a much sweeter cherry note. I was disappointed in Jailbait but this makes up for it. It smells really lickable and there's even a hint of creamy 'Underpants' vanilla at drydown-I really like the vanilla/sugary base of the Monster Baits. It's not my favourite of the recent Monster bunch-the high sugar content of this scent will be too much for some days, but I can't refuse such a fun fragrance for those days when I want to smell like a lollipop.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! Definitely keeping the bottle-don't need another as it is a bit too sugary-sticky sweet for everyday but perfect for those sugar cravings.

If you like this, try: Jailbait, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, Xanthe, Knave of Hearts, Midwinter's Eve, Monster Bait Closet, Montresor

Initially: red fruits and nail polish O_o

Thankfully the nail polish bit eases off as the perfume dries, and then! Oh glorious, the powdered sugar comes out. Now, I've not tried a blend that has powdered sugar in it, but I have to say I'm totally lovin' it! In fact, I'm loving everything about Bloody Mary, and will enjoy finishing off my decant. It's nice and light and fruity, just for summer! The cream doesn't overpower anything at all -- for me, this blend is all light red fruits. Lovely.

In the Bottle: A little bit like cherry lifesavers. Very sweet, very fruity. Made me worry about what would happen, would it mellow like Red Queen or would it cough syrup like Jailbait.

On my skin: It's a bowl of fresh strawberries/raspberries and cherries dusted in icing sugar and cream. It had me drooling as I sniffed it - I had to resist eating my arm and instead went and grabbed a bowl of strawberries to save my arm.

Later...: It has settled down slightly, still very fruity, but not as sweet as before. It's now cherries and raspberries. I love this scent. I'm only kicking myself for not getting two!

In general it's a scent for days when I want to feel fresh and light. :P

(Edited to remove the site desc)

Edited by Windz

Oh, finally, finally, a Monster Bait that really and truly works for me! I'm in heaven!

Like many others, I get a blast of cherry right at the beginning, and then the fruitiness mellows a bit as the creaminess and powdered sugar takes over. Then it stays like that, with amazing throw, throughout the wear time of the scent.

Note to self: Find mirror. Keep repeating "Bloody Mary" for as long as it takes for a bottle of this to appear. :P

In the bottle, this is raspberries and cream. On my skin, the raspberry fades, but it turns into a sweet currant coated in cream. It’s a big pinkish-red fruit swimming in swathes of white, but with just a hint of extra warmth to give it dimension. It’s a smell that makes me want to close my eyes and just breathe for a moment.

It fades back after a bit. After losing volume, it starts to take on that artificial scent that I feel compelled to refer to as "chemical". Of course, it’s all chemical, but this just seems... off, somehow. It isn’t metallic, but it’s thinking about it. But only if I concentrate. Brushing past, it’s still lovely and fruity and decadent.

I haven’t had a lot of success with food scents, but I’m giving serious thought to tracking this down on eBay now. (Or the forums... which is what I wound up doing!)

Incredibly sweet in the vial and wet, I definitely get a whole lot of the cream and sugar. There's also some vanilla and the rich cherries hiding underneath it all. A little while later the sweetness tones down and the scent mellows into a fruity slightly less sweet scent. For a while I was worried it was going to change into a fake plasticky note, but that stage disappeared pretty fast and now I'm left with a rather decadent and rich cherry scent.

Charming. Happy to have the imp, not sure a bottle will ever be needed though.