Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Bloody Mary is sharp and medicinal, and there is some common thread with previous Monster Baits, linking the collection together. It actually reminds me a lot of Closet, which was nauseating on my skin. After about 15 minutes, she starts to smooth out and I'm getting a bit of the fruity candy that other people seem to be getting. Hopefully as it rests on my skin, it will continue to mellow and become lovely. As of now, I'm not sure what the fate of my bottle will be. Oh, and I must add my admiration for the label- that is wicked! I love it.

ETA: Description, and also these remarks: I had my husband sniff my hand shortly after I wrote this and he said it was nice, but it came off as a sort of generalized perfume scent to him, which makes me wonder if it's just me with the sharp and medicinal. Then, several hours later, I sniff again, and the drydown is... I don't know. Sort of barren? Like a load of powdered sugar over... wait for it, folks... the way Underpants smells to me in the bottle. I wish I could describe it better, heh. I actually quite like it, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long for it to take to my skin. Edited by Shollin

Bloody Mary starts out on me with this odd soured note. I'm not entirely sure what it is... maybe the cream has gone bad. Either way, it's pretty horrific until the drydown.

After the drydown the black cherry takes the fore and goes to straight up, over-sweetened cough syrup. Which isn't *too* bad I suppose if the sugaryness was toned down a bit. Perhaps mixing this with a calmer floral scent would help a bit. As it is, I'm not sure I could wear this without someone thinking I was taking sips of NyQuil at work just to make it through the day till my AA meeting.

After about 15 minutes, this smells like a Glade scented room freshner plug-in I had once (IIRC, it was some holiday Christmassy scent). Maybe the oil burner would be better off with this one than my wrists....

Final thought: If you're a big fan of black cherry and sugar than go for it. As for me, oil burner it is.

Edited by PilotKitten

This is so freaking good. I was a bit worried about the cherry, but as it turned out, it's one of the best blends ever for me. It smells like a version of Closet on me; similar cakiness beneath, with berries over. I don't get cherry though, just a general sweetfruit. Perhaps strawberry? The creaminess is very noticeable, too, which I adore. The powder sugar is not a note I can pin down. But I just adore this blend, for sure... the bottle art too! Best bottle art ever! This, and Closet, are my very favorite MB blends, with Underpants and Tokyo Stomp as very close runners-up. It just has this amazing deep sweet scent that is definitely creamy but is also elegant- its the sort of scent enjoy the most. I love the fruit as leavening to the creaminess of it; I also like that it isn't cherry on me. It evolves as I wear it... the fruit gets even less noticeable and it morphs into just a delightful sweetness with no really sharp notes to it, very smooth... it also deepens.

5 out of 5, hoardable.

I adore cherry, although it generally powders on me. And while this doesn't powder out on me...I can't decide if I like it or not. It smells like cough syrup to me in the bottle, although once it's on, it mellows out a bit. It's a cherry scent I can wear, but the jury's still out on this one.

I was craving a red scent as the decant circles for the Milk Moon update went up, so I gave this a go ...

In the imp, I get brown sugar over glistening berries - strawberries, cherries, raspberries, yum! There's a teeny hint of that medicinal kind of cherry, maybe like ... glaceed maraschino cherry? Not sure.

Wet on skin, it blooms into the lovely red scent I was hoping for, topped with dark brown sugar, which I *love*.

Once dry though, the lovely red thing stops being so, and I get this thing that reminds me of berry scented erasers, kind of rubbery as well as slightly headache-inducing :P That's the third strike of the day, and I think I've run out of arm-space to test, seeing as it's too cold for short-sleeves now!

Bloody Mary is a strange one. In the vial and on my skin wet, there's a slightly funky note that I can't identify, but is slightly offputting. I smell cherries and sugar and something else, similar to the milk in Milk Moon...? In the first five minutes I'm not sure if I like her or not - is she a victim of my skin chemistry? But once she dries down she's a nice sweet ultra sugary cherry scent.

Unfortunately I think Bloody Mary is a little too sweet and girlish for me. I can see how she'd be gorgeous on the right woman - one a lot younger than me. :P

In the Bottle: Okay, the monsterbaits are just kind of weird with me. In the bottle this one smells really rich and fruity with a bit of cream, but not like a real fruit, more like the way fruit would smell if someone described it in a book maybe? It's way more intense than it should be.

Wet: Sugary and sweet and creamy fruit. More of the oddly fake fruit smells, with a layer of baked goods scent.

Dry: Oh god, the drydown on this is gorgeous. It's faded, but with confectioners sugar and cherry candies. I love this so very much, but I have no idea when I'd ever wear it.

This is the first Monster Bait scent I have ever voluntarily ordered for myself, rather than for Kettu who likes the foody scents more than I do. Something about the description of this one just made it sound like it might actually work on me... And thus far, it actually seems to!

It's not the sort of nasty, almond-extracty maraschino cherry note that turns up in some other scents -- this one smells like real cherries! And a little bit boozy at the same time. Maybe cherry brandy or something. And there is something soft and creamy in it also... And a slightly incensey touch. So far, very nice.

I am not getting the sharp/sour/medicinal element to it that some people have, but it does seem less sweet than expected, which is nice. Not getting a teenybopper/candy-sweet effect either. It's almost more in the same ballpark scentwise as Hollywood Babylon, which I quite like. Though I never would have expected it before getting into BPAL, fruit scents seem to really like my skin.

Checked it again about 20 minutes after putting it on, and -- hey! Where are you going! Come back! Damn, it's fading away entirely, or at least pretty close to it. Thankfully, it doesn't disappear completely, but it does get much less strong after about that time. It's just a faint creamy sweetness now, after cose to two hours.

If it lasted longer, I'd be tempted to hunt down a bottle... This is definitely my favourite of the Monster Baits

Grade: B+

In the bottle, it smells like, well, I used to work at an ice cream shop, and it smells like when you'd open one of the containers full of maraschino cherries, which were my favorite thing to snack on during work.

On my skin, there's an odd, sharp note at first over the cherries. I can't place what it is, but it's sort of sour. This may just be my skin chemistry, because even with scents I very much like (for instance, this happens with the lemon in Yuki-Onna,) I tend to get a strong off smell for a couple minutes before the perfume settles into something pleasant. Bloody Mary is no exception-- after a few minutes, it settles into a not-oversweet berry scent. I also tried layering with Eat Me, which was a really good idea-- together they make a very good cake with berries smell.

My fiancee was decidedly not a fan, though-- he said the smell gave him an instant headache. Personally, I think I'd like to keep the decant, but I don't think I could go through a whole bottle.

In the bottle, this is berries (mostly cherry) and butter! Makes my stomach a little growly.

On in the early stages, this is very juicy berries, and reminds me almost of a candle-y scent, but is too dark for that. There is something a little fiesty and alarming, as well as delicious.

In the drydown times - this smells like candy necklaces!

I really like it! :P

Bloody Mary is the only Monster Bait I ordered from the latest batch---something about it just seemed fun and mouth-watering. And I do like it quite a bit---it's kind of like Bordello gone wild. The cherry is true and luscious, the cream and sugar are not overwhelming. It's dessert-y, but not so sweet that I feel like I might attract bees. I don't need a lot of cherry-dominant blends in my collection, but this is a nice break from my florals and resins. It's playful. And sometimes it's enjoyable to wear something that's the perfume equivalent of a wink. :P

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Strawberry!

Pre-Review Thoughts: Sounds a bit too sweet, but I'm curious!

In the decant: Sweet, red cherries!

On skin, wet: Powdered sugar, cherries, and a legion of red fruits I can't call out specifically, save for strawberry.

On skin, dry: This reminds me of the cherry/strawberry parfaits my parents used to make me whenever I'd done something particularly good/well, complete with cream! Strawberry is wont to end up as a very plastic note on me, but it's not at all fake here. The cherry has that very vaguely-waxy quality that I've only ever come across in fruit-flavoured lip balms, but aside from that, this is fantastic, if way too sweet.

Conclusion: A fantastic candy-fruit scent, but way too sweet to wear. I'll keep one of the decants I have left over from my decant circle, and I may eventually pick up a bottle to use to scent things around my apartment.

Oohhhhhhh I'm so glad I ordered a bottle of this!

I am in LOVE!! :P

I dove into my bpal order upon arrival and Bloody Mary was the first to be freed from the bubble wrap prison.

I opened up the bottle, took a deeeeeeeeeeeep sniff.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH..... just like candy! Very cherry...but very vanilla too.

Dabbed a bit on........*sniff* mmmmmm thick juicy sweet cherries.

5 minutes later...... The cherries have subsided a bit and now it's a lucious vanilla-y sugar scent with a touch of cherry.

:D

Oh Bloody Mary how I love thee!!!!!!! :D

In the bottle this is kind of sharp and fruity, it has an almost alcoholic tang to it.

On my skin it becomes a beautiful and sweet juicy red cherry. It smells like a pie topping I make with plain cherries (fresh or frozen), sugar, and a little water. I love it. Its now too light or sweet, and makes me feel super feminine and girly.

It has amazing staying power. I'll put it on in the morning and still smell it on my skin when I wake up the next morning. i love it.

cherries and cream! sweet and tart and juicy. i’m thinking hot cherry pie with a dusting of powdered sugar, served with a scoop of rich vanilla ice cream that’s melting into the warm fruit. i don’t need a whole bottle of this, but the imp will get lots of love.

This is one of those that I was determined to like and even bought 2 bottles despite the horrible track record with fruit. In the bottle, it's amazing red fruits with a thin layer of that powdered sugar. On me, its pretty straightforward cherry. To me, it smelled odd and bit rotten but everyone at work seemed to like it. I'll give it another go.

Man, I just don't know about this one. My first impression reminded me of the saccharine-sweetness I got from Sugar Skull (which I couldn't even attempt on my skin - sweeter than sugar and far too much of it). Part of me loves it - it's fruity and sweet, and I'm a big foodie-lover from way back, but part of me think this smells like someone spilled Sweet & Low in the red cough syrup.

In Bottle: red & purple skittles mixed with cough syrup.

On Skin/Throw: fake berries & saccharine.

Dry Down: Ok, it's evening out now. The instant sweetness calms down, and a little of the sour cherry comes through with the pastry-cream scent coming out from behind those red fruit notes, which very strongly resemble maraschino cherries. I'm not going to lie, this is totally artificial, but it's still pretty nice. It's awfully sweet, but I had the same problem with MB: Tokyo Stomp. I think the trick is to apply very lightly, and often. Some scents carry evenly for a long time - this one goes on strong and fades to a reasonable scent pretty quickly. Now that it's more of a cherry tart scent, I'm in.

This reminds me SO much of those Strawberry Shortcake scented dolls from my childhood. It took me the entirety of this review to finally realize that's what I'm smelling.

Wow.

First off, you have to understand that while a love love love cherries as a fruit, and I love fruity perfume, something about the combination of cherry-scented-perfume just doesn't seem to work with my chemistry. And syrupy sweet creamy cheesecaky is not really my bag, either. Love it for bath and body products, not so much for my daily wear scent.

But I digress. Bloody Mary shoots all of the above all to hell.

It is gorgeous, sinister, rich, dark, and lush with ripe black cherries, which totally dominate the blend for me. I would have put money on them being liquor soaked, but regardless, they smell just delightful and true to life, with not a hint of plastic or anything off. These juicy treats are splashed with just enough sweet cream and sugar to take the edge off, but not enough to really alter the scent. I don't get cherry cheesecake, blessedly - the milkiness is not nearly dominant enough on me for that.

This is a wonderful surprise of a scent. What a treat.

It smells like My Little Ponies. I don't know if it smells like the new ones, but it distinctly reminds me of my little ponies from when I was a little girl. It's very sweet and very cherry and to me, rather cloying. Not the scent for me, although I am rather entertained by how much it reminds me of something from when I was five.

I thought I posted a review already, but I guess not.....

In the bottle: Deep, sexy cherry.

On skin: Bright, fruity cherry with creamy sugar.

Drydown: Dark cherry sweetened by a hint of sugar and softened by a bit of cream.

I bought this because I thought, "what the hell" while I bought Tokyo Stomp, which I was SURE would be perfect on me. It wasn't, but Bloody Mary is. I'm SO hoarding this scent. I'm going to collect as many bottles as I can.

In fact, I'd probably mug an old lady if she had Bloody Mary. :P

At first it’s a red lollipop with twinges of red cough syrup in there….and it dries to exactly that. It never changes on me and that cough syrup twinge is a little odd to my nose. off to the swaps with thee Bloody Mary...

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

This does have a distinctly nearly-artificial sugar note to it... but somehow it kind of adds to the charm? It's all sweetness and redness and delicious fruit goodness. I wouldn't say it has the scent of a MLP/Strawberry Shortcake doll, but it's got that sort of aura to it? Anyway I love it against my better judgement and I will be wearing this like NO OTHER.

One of my first two bottles unsniffed, and I feel happy~

I love foody-sweet smells, and I love cherries, so it stands to reason that this one would be a winner.

In the bottle, it smells like some kind of delicious cocktail, rich, cherry-y (real ones, fake cherry flavour and maybe a maraschino in there too). When it's on, it morphs through every cherry dessert in history, with a sugary almost whipped cream (the real kind) note in there.

Where The Red Queen is a dignified cherry-red, this is fun, a bit boozy and wet. I love it so!

Oh my, I was so excited about this ever since it went live. I thought it would be a wonderful combination for me. But alas, I think, it's not.

Something in it just sits incredibly bad with me. I have a feeling the powdered sugar might have some brown sugar thrown into, because what doesn't work reminds me of Misk U and other blends with brown sugar.

Maybe it's because I amp sweet even in blends that are not supposed to be sweet, and thus scents that are supposed to be super-sweet on their own kind of get doubled over and the sweetness then concentrates to something acrid and harsh. Not sure, though. There are other super-sweet ones I can wear just fine.

Whatever it is that is causing that acrid dull scent, it's especially bad when sniffing close to the skin, and only during the first one or two hours. Later the bad scent vanishes, and leaves a nice-enough slightly sugary powdery, slightly artificially fruity, slightly tart-sweet scent, that is not really bad, but neither overwhelmingly nice. Altogether, Bloody Mary is kind of meh on me.

I wish I'd get juicy wet fruits, but it's obviously not meant to be.

I'll give her one more try, but as for now she looks like a sure swap item to me. :P