Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with ho wood, teak, black musk, and bamboo.

A very strong, prominant bamboo note immediately jumps out at me. There is a strong, almost sharp woodsy note that emerges after a few minutes. Although I can see how people are getting lemon from this, that citrusey effect is really only a faint undertone on me. I honestly can't really smell the Snake Oil at all!

A nice, really unique scent, but not quite my thing.

*sniffs her arm*

This is good. Probably one of my favorites of the Snake Pit. This is an almost acrid smell, but the teak and ho wood keep it from being bitter, and teh Snake Oil warms the bamboo up nicely.

I do detect a citrusy note, but it's never CITRUSliekwhoa. I think this deserves a bottle.

In the imp: Bamboo, really sharp and sweet, almost sugar cane.

Wet: Omigod, says Sir, smells like those fruit candycanes, the ones you bite into thinking they're peppermint and they're not? You're totally right, says me, I love those! Really? he says. I was always disappointed. A faint whiff of banana hits the nose. (wtf?)

Dry: Woods over musk and vanilla. Bamboo almost gone. :P Possible bottle. I bet this is AWESOME aged.

Edited by MeiLin

Gorgeous. I have had my one bottle for about a year and I am aging another one.

In Bottle: Snake Oil with green bamboo.

Wet on skin: Ho wood, bamboo (fresh cut, and green) and then snake oil.

Drydown: Spicy, bamboo, with snake oil.

This is the only snake oil variant that I can wear that doesn't make me sick from the sweetness. :D :D :D

Will be hoarding this before the Carnivale leaves town!!!!!!!! :P :D

The bamboo note in the wet stage kept me from liking fully Habu, but it the drydown, wait, it`s such a deep green woody pleasure that I have to change my mind. No vanilla comes out, and it`s one of a kind snake for this. Extremely surprising.

This is such a fresh, watery scent without being too aquatic. I guess it must be the bamboo. The snake oil is there, but everything else makes it smell different somehow. I really like this, very nice for hot weather. Makes me think of a jungle at night, cool, but very lush. A definite keeper!

First Sniff: Wet, sweet, juicy snake oil with bamboo.

On Skin: Fresh cut bamboo combined with wood. The bamboo is sweet, juicy and plump. Habu is green, woodsy and very beautiful. I love how the black musk compliments the notes of snake oil, making it slightly sweeter than it usually is.

Drydown: Green, almost light herbally snake oil with bamboo and a touch of wood. This doesn't change morph much on me, and besides Green Tree Viper, this is definitely one of my favorite snakes.

Final Thoughts: What else is there to say. Cooling, crisp, fresh snake oil. Yum.

Hello, Habu.

Nice to meet you.

I have to be honest, you were at the back of the line for Snakes I wanted to meet. Just nothing that seemed very exciting. Not bad, just not anything that screamed OMGWANT.

This, girls and boys, is why we buy imps and decants.

Habu was a pleasure. It was a very green, very cool scent still with the undercurrent of "Rrowr" from the Snake Oil. However, the Rrowr is mellow and understated, like leather underwear beneath a cool, elegant business suit, rather than the kind of Rrowr that leaves lipstick on your collar or humps your leg in front of company. The bamboo really gives this an Asian edge, very classy. This is bottle worthy. Its likely to become my work friendly daytime at work Spring-and-Summer scent.

This is Snake Oil and black musk. The black musk is the most prominent characteristic. The Snake Oil considerably sweetens the black musk on me.

Habu

In bottle: Intriguing. I can't really place any of the notes.

On skin, wet: Oh no. Is that the

semen

smell I hated so much about Fascinum coming out?

Dry, on skin: In fact, this reminds me a lot of Fascinum. Actually, it's nicer than Fascinum was on me, but there's still a note here that really, really isn't working for me. I'll have to watch out for these notes in future and try and figure out what it is, because it smells good in the bottle but turns to yuckiness on my skin.

Wow, at first I could've sworn there was grapefruit in here. It must be the bamboo giving it the sharp, tangy citrus vibe.

As it starts to dry the wood comes out along with some slight powder from the snake oil. This is quite different from the other snakes blends I've and I think I rather like it. It's not my favorite but I definitely think I will have to pick up a bottle. :P I think this would be a great summer scent.

Sweet musky Snake Oil. I'm surprised the woods aren't stronger in this, as teak tends to go crazy on me. I suspect this will smell even better aged.

forewarning: i don't much like Snake Oil, so take my reviews with that in mind.

this is Snake Oil, with a hint of the green/fresh note of bamboo but also balanced back out with the black musk... i was excited to try this one of the Snake Pit because i adore the Lab's "Teak" note. and there is a gentle, sweet-wood note floating around in this scent, but on me... after it settles in, this is Snake Oil with a sharp, bitter green note added in. also, to note, this bottle is nearly two years old.

This was the most surprising of all the CD scents for me. After reading reviews, I was ready to write this one off. I don't do green scents, and anything that may be described as "sharp" is definitely not for me. But the woods here balance the SO beautifully. This becomes a deeper and richer blend for them, with an awesome depth to it thanks to the black musk. SO can occasionally be too sweet for me and I didn't have that problem here at all. The bamboo note is a little sharp at first application but it mellows almost immediately. I think I may be looking at getting a bottle of this. :P

This is a creamier version of Snake Oil on me :D Very smooth and dark. There's a hint of the freshness I usually get with bamboo and I could almost swear I smell some extra vanilla :P Delicious!

Thank you to the wonderfully generous forumite who frimped me this decant. You rock my socks!!

This is so much better than I even thought it was going to be, and I expected it to be good to begin with. I don't really smell any snake oil resemblance in this blend aside from the spiciness, as this is all spicy and juicy and exotic. It's juicier than snake oil, and the spices seem hotter somehow. The vanilla is amazing in this blend and doesn't turn cloying or plastic. I can't pick out a single note, but this is just absolutely gorgeous! Lush, exotic, spicy, juicy and voluptuous. I'm going to need a big bottle of this baby!

:love!:

Edited by OneTheyCallLuna

In the bottle: Sweet and fruity! Berryish. Almost citrusy, too. I get the watery bamboo note. But mostly this is gentle fruit. Maybe a hint of a pink floral, like lotus.

Wet: Green-fresh-herbal, and more citrusy-tart - the ho wood, I believe. Less sweet, but still berries. The bamboo's a bit sharper and more woody, but lovely. And the teak is there, but light.

Dry: Oh black musk, how I love you. So sweet and sexy! That ho wood is holding, and has almost a floral quality, as well reminding me of verbena. The teak has sweetened and warmed up a bit.

Later: Teak amping and taking over, and a faint hint of cola/red musk snake oil is creeping up, too. Bamboo has faded. Still nice and strong on the ho wood and black musk.

Summary: Snake oil with rich black musk, dry, sweet teak and a whisper of citrusy ho wood. This could have been love without the SO and teak. Decent throw.

This is deliciously sweet on me, which I was not expecting. Wet, it had a very strong, nutty odor (bamboo?), but that has backed off and let the vanilla come through, along with what must be the ho wood. Behind that is something woodier (teak, I presume). This is very different from anything I've smelled before, and I like it.

This is a creamier version of Snake Oil on me :) Very smooth and dark. There's a hint of the freshness I usually get with bamboo and I could almost swear I smell some extra vanilla :yum: Delicious!

This.

It's like a woody/green/creamy/spicy sex scent. Makes me wanna go make love where panda's do. :yum:

I can't say I'm a huge fan. :blush:

Mine's aged probably 2 years, but I didn't like it when I first got it either, it just took me forever to swap it...I was really hoping it was a one-time thing. I get a bit of spicyness from it and some vanilla bean? but the woodsy element just...it's wet wood. Not a pleasant smell for me. It's also not one I would find sexy on the boy.

As it dried the greenery wore off and the spicyness took hold, but there are less sought-after alternatives to get that snake oil scent...

Off to swap this one for realsies this time.

Edited by Stormslegacy

I'm three snakes in to the Snake Pit: Western Diamondback, Cottonmouth, and now Habu. I've come to the conclusion that the common element, Snake Oil, is what's throwing the vanilla and incense and maybe a little teeny bit of leather on me. I don't know how old it is or under what conditions, if any, it was aged--I got this imp second-hand from a nice seller. I didn't get any greenery out of the smell in either of today's applications. There was, however, a burst of a citrus (more lemony than grapefruit or orange) on me in the stage between wet/fresh and the beginning of the dry down phases. I get different notes depending on the wrist I'm sniffing at the time.

That said, I wish I would've read the reviews before I put this on today. My professor/advisor was running in and out of our classroom during a movie. On one trip he stopped for about a minute and didn't move; he was a few feet away at the time. "Who's wearing that? It's vanilla..." Long pause. "Or maybe its hairspray or something.." Long pause. He eventually left, but would periodically return to poke his head in for a few seconds. When he came back to class to sit down, he stood in front of my desk for a bit. "Will you stop huffing me already?!?!" He spluttered and sat two seats to my right. I think he was a bit embarrassed and it's probably why he couldn't sit near me for more than a few minutes. Man attractant (as other more knowledgeable posters have said) indeed.

Or Habu was giving him the munchies: he is a pothead. One of two in our Criminal Justice department, actually.

Either way, I'm amused.

Edited by DigitalCoyote

Ugh. I was so looking forward to this. I'll have to try another decant or let my empty age because this smells like:

New leather shoes (the ones with that sharp smell) with a teensy bit of snake oil.

I'm getting a definite black musk smell. Snake Oil and black musk. Maybe a bit of a green note the more I sniff. Not my favorite, but not totally terrible. The more this dries down the more soapy it smells. Like a soap a man would use before going out on a night on the town. A little bit of clean smell and a little bit of musky sexiness.

Edited by DeltaCat

In decant: Are you sure there’s Snake Oil in here?

Wet: Very soft woods with a touch of musk.

Drydown: The musk is coming out more. I don’t usually like black musk but it goes very well with all these wood notes.

Later: Again, a very soft wood blend. I don’t get any spices at all. I like it but it’s not really my style. Will give it a second test when the weather is warmer.

This is the surprise hit of the snake pit for me. Based on the description I almost passed this one over and now it's one of my favorites!

sara is right, this is blend is so smooth. Habu does an excellent job of balancing out the sweeter elements of Snake Oil and the wood and musk notes. The bamboo, teak and snake oil are the main scents my nose is picking up, but they compliment each other very nicely.

I'll definitely pick up a bottle of this.