Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto">By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.</div>

How could I possibly have been using BPAL for over 2 and half years and forgotten to ever review snake oil? that's probably the silliest thing I've done!!! Unless I'm being dumb and cannot find my review but believe me I have searched!

Anyway..

The famous Snake Oil to me, is gorgeous. Yes...ANOTHER SO lover here. It's a most addictive smell. Vanilla with a massive twist. A twist of spice and mystery. it gets alot of attention because of the amount of throw it has, and people always ask what it is...or comment! It lives up to it's legendary status in my opinion.

It does drydown slightly powdery on me which is a bit annoying but only when it's very dry.. I have yet to experience the "aged" SO thing. But..I have a bottle that's nearly a year and a half old and haven't used one drop so..I will surely get to try soon!

It's a luscious thick oil.. and it's very sexy spicy and sweet!

I don't really know what else to say...it's all been said before!!

Edited by ouch!

Oh dear. Snake Oil seems love everyone...well everyone but me.

I have been all about vanilla for ages.

Snake oil was a new twist and sounded like it was for me.

But my swap was for naught, as Snake Oil went on like some pungent liquorice /medicine smell.

And checking it now, it has so remained.

Tragic. :P

My new imp, fresh from the lab, had an almost pencil-shaving-y scent to it during the wet on skin phase. It wasn't that strong and didn't last long, and would leave me with a lovely, deep, not-very-sweet spiced vanilla. It wasn't my favourite scent, but I really liked it. My friends told me that it would get better with age, so I did my best to leave it alone and see what happened :P

It's only a month old, but I've already noticed changes. It skips out the pencil-shaving stage, and the vanilla itself has sweetened and deepened to match the spices. I'm very happy with sweet, and am really enjoying the ageing process :D

If it continues getting better like this, then the hype about it makes perfect sense to me! :D

In The Bottle

Very viscous. I don't get much vanilla in the bottle

On Application

Incense and strong vanilla. Not as sweet as I thought it would be, which is a good thing.

Dry Down

Warm smokey vanilla. Looks to be a staple in my collection.

Rating (0-5)

It's hard to believe that I have been wearing Snake Oil for almost two years and never reviewed it. Oh, the shame :P !

I received an imp; whether it was from the Lab or a swap I do not remember, but I am thankful for it. Such a warm, enveloping scent.

I have never cared for vanilla scents; they always smelled fake, plastic-y and made me sneeze, whether it was from candles, bath or body products. I didn't recognize that there is vanilla in Snake Oil for a long time, until a coworker commented on the cookie scent coming from me.

Exotic aromas takes me to far away places. I am transported to a bazaar, with strange food and spices lining the walkway, the vendors calling their wares in a sing-song language I don't understand. Warm winds capture the smells of fruits, meat cooking over open fires and mingle with spices, calling to sample and enjoy the bounty.

Ah, Snake Oil, how I love thee. And you love me back, amping all the best parts of you, your scent trailing behind me, calling to those around me, saying, "Come and smell me, for I am fabulous!"

And as she ages, Snake Oil only becomes more...more resinous, darker and lovely than before. You cannot have too many bottles in varying stages of aging; one will be perfect for your mood.

I am not allowed to wear Snake Oil out with one of my friends. Each time I do, we end up in fascinating (and eerily, strange) conversations with the opposite sex on every subject under the sun. Isn't it amazing what a little bottle of oil can do?

Thanks to Yeahbutnobut I receceived and 1 years and half aged Snake oil today, and it`s the best way to celebrate my birthday :P The spices really stand out when the oil dries a little and I feel almost drunk from their power. A foody without being too foody spiced crack indeed! When it dries more and sweeten up, it slightly resembles the best frangelico liquor I ever smelled in my life. I`m in love.

Starts out as spicy, woody incense and develops into a combo of vanilla, sandalwood and incense. It's beautiful, but a bit too heady and sophisticated for me.

I am an addict. I will mention that I cracked open my first bottle (shocking, I know, that I had never tried it before) less than two weeks ago (I estimate the date to be Sunday June 15) as soon as I got back to New York. It was around two months aged; I ordered it with my Tikis when I was on a vanilla kick. I now have only half a bottle left.

I kept in mind the rule that if you don't like Snake Oil on your first try, try it again (if at first you don't succeed, try try again). I got a lot of powder on the first wear. Second was still powdery but improving. I will mention that I was testing these times during my monthly so my chemistry was definitely different. I next put it in my hair and that is when Snake Oil Changed My Life. I was out in the garden, sweating in the hot sun and the most magnificent scents were wafting around me. How can it be? I put this on hours ago! It just gets better by the minute. So yes, Snake Oil smells absolutely fantastic in my hair, which is where I usually wear oils. Since I was starting to love it and wear it obsessively I began applying it to my skin. But that wasn't enough! I put some in an imp roller bottle (which is sadly MIA at the moment) and rolled it all over my skin. This scent is beyond slatherable. I now get how, as she tells it, Shelldoo uses up a whole bottle a week and applies her SO in a deodorant roll on bottle. Because I didn't have any pipettes on me I made a little funnel out of card to get the oil into the roller bottle. Covered in excess oil, the card made a perfect cone shape that fit right over the top of my bedroom lamp to give off scent for the room. It still wasn't enough. I got out a mini spray bottle and added some droplets to water and sprayed my bed linens. Finally I am followed everywhere I go by this scent and I couldn't be happier.

Snake Oil proves that it is possible to crave scent, like pizza, ice cream, sex, water. I am positively thirsty for it. x

Oh yeah, I invariably get scents of patchouli, which for once I can stand, dragon's blood and naturally, "exotic oils". And the creamiest, smokiest vanilla on the planet.

Edited by heysunshine

This was my first BPAL perfume, along with a bottle of Spooky. However, I found myself disappointed with both.

At first Snake Oil smelled nice. But then, all hints of the soft, sweet vanilla disappeared and I was left smelling like an ash tray... maybe an ash tray filled with the remnants of Djarum Blacks. It was NOT sexy. I just smelled... dirty. Yuck.

I actually don't like Snake Oil on anyone I know who's worn it. I think it's stinky and cloying. Why the heck is this one so popular?

Wet: Vanilla with a dark incensey undertone.

Dry down: Husband said: “Mmm... sexy… dinner not day.”

Vanilla, poweder, patcholi or myrrh. Becomes sexier with age.

Final impression: Age some more and then wear again. Naughty.

So I finally got around to checking out the fabled Snake Oil!

...er, it's nice, but not nearly what I was expecting. Just your basic warm vanilla, very mild. Bit of a smoky background to it. The spice makes itself more and more apparent as it dries. It seems like something nice and neutral to wear when you want to wear *something* but you don't want to parade around like a can-can girl.

It seems like aging is the way to go, though, so I'm going to drop it in the imp box and let it sit for a couple months and see how I like it then.

Yes, this really is as great as everyone says. Heady, relaxing, sensual, this is sex in a bottle.

Since Snake Oil is a number one around here, I added it to my first order of imps. So, I tried it today.

In the bottle: Spicey. I can't sense the vanilla. But it smells unique and deep.

Wet on skin: baby powder. Dusty/smoky/cloying and attacking my nose. I hold off on inhaling my wrist for the drydown.

Drying, stage one: Baby powder. There's some vanilla in there somewhere, but I think the baby powder scared it off.

Drying, stage two: I'm being devoted and seeing if it will morph or have my skin absorb things. Anything. It's less "clean" baby powder, and more of a dark dirty powder. I smell like an old lady who can't ease up on the perfume. It's very very perfume-y. Smells... store bought. Vanilla is hiding, and vanilla has bloomed and danced around on me in Dee (well, it was tonka and yummyness), Tombstone, and even Bengal. So I know I can do vanilla, but not with these "exotic" spices.

Drying, stage three: I'm not sure. I'd already dashed to the bathroom to wash it off. It just assaulted my nose and sort of... hurt.

Overall: OMG it wont wash off. I'm doomed to smell eternally like baby powder. -flails, finally finds a soap that wipes it out, faints with relief-

I'm not sure how this smells so good to be a top. I tried it on my sister, but she hasn't bathed since I tried tombstone on her (and didnt tell me), so she still smells like root beer and it was just completely bizarre with snake oil. So she's no help.

Snake oil does have a great throw, and a long life. You could probably go swimming with it on, and come out smelling like the oil. So if you love the scent, this would be a dream scent. I, sadly, don't.

I actually don't like Snake Oil on anyone I know who's worn it. I think it's stinky and cloying. Why the heck is this one so popular?

I don't know. They say to wait for it to age... but why should I wait when there are hundreds more scents waiting to be explored? I think Snake Oil will be sent off to trades here soon for me. Maybe at a later date I'll try this "aged" version, but I have serious doubts.

Rating (1-5, 5 best):

1. Sorry snake oil.

Mmm soft vanilla and exotic spices. I can now see why this one is a favorite, and am thankful I have a full bottle of it. This scent is one I can imagine wearing everyday and it feeling perfect. Simply beautiful, as is the label. I can't wait to see how long it will last with my skin chemistry, I hope it is one that sticks around. I love it.

AGED ONE YEAR

In the bottle: Deep orange/cola coloured, thickly viscous oil. Sweet, a bit boozy, oddly sparkling. Smells a bit like cola too, and like caramel. Also quite earthy - patchouli, musk.

Wet: More cola (almost mentholically so)! But sort of like, a cross between cola and cream soda - the vanilla coming out is very creamy. Still quite sweet and even more sparkling. Quite foody. Less earthy. Clove?

Dry: Very slow to dry, becoming more intense/spicy as it does. Still quite sweet and boozy. The patchouli is the rooty sort. This reminds me a bit of Kabuki - I think it's the sweet/spicy/foody combined with red musk.

Later: I agree it's a bourbon vanilla which explains the boozy note - and this is a vanilla that behaves on me. It still hasn't lost that sparkling feel! A smoky note has emerged, maybe tobacco?

Summary: Deep, heady sweet scent with an oriental feel and a bit of a bite; boozy and yet creamy bourbon vanilla, sparking but almost medicinal cola, rooty-woody patchouli, sharp-sweet clove, harsh red musk, softly smoky tobacco. It's not spicy on me, and it verges on foody.

This is not at all what I was expecting. The clove makes it unwearable for me, but the vanilla in this is surprisingly wearable and doesn't amp or go cloying on me at all. In combo with the cola smell, and the general sweetness of the blend, it's too close to foody for me.

I am also not crazy about the red musk or the particular type of patchouli. I don't like this, but not for the reasons I anticipated. It's not powdery (at all - don't see where people get powder from!) or too vanilla-y for me, or even really too spicy. I just don't like the other unlisted stuff, but this was not unbearable.

FRESH

In the bottle: Spicy, boozy, musky. A bit harsh/sharp (red musk or a dark patchouli). Touch of sweetness and that vanilla cola-scent, but less deeply sweet and sharper than aged SO.

Wet: Huh, it's a lighter colour, more orange than deep orangey-reddish-brown. Much spicier and woodier, almost no cola notes. CLOVE reigns, with a sharp, plastic feel. Still those musk and earthy notes, though.

Dry: Seems to dry or absorb more quickly than aged snake oil. Not much morphing, other than perhaps becoming even spicier. It's that sweet, sharp, and woody clove - maybe multiple cloves. Vanilla-cola amped a bit.

Summary:The spicy, plastic, biting clove is just so overwhelming, with harsh red musk below. Fainter is the heavy, boozy, vanilla cola. I much prefer the aged version, which is highlights the latter notes over the former, and doesn't have the plastic edge. Great throw and lasting power.

I don't like either fresh or aged, but I can see why people enjoy aged, and it's wearable. The fresh I had to wash off because the plastic and clove were so unbearable.

Edited by fairnymph

Snake oil was mostly dry spices on me - not a hint of vanilla. A lot of reviews have advised wearing this several times before making a decision - but I gave it away as a gift after only wearing it twice. I'll probably get another imp of it in the future - I liked it on its own and layered with O it was very yummy.

vanilla & spice!! oh, yum. it's gorgeous wet right from the vial all the way through drydown, all spiced cookies and candles, incense, soft eastern music. this is simply beautiful. i feel like a sultry hindu princess wearing it. :P

ETA: gosh, it feels like i am always editing my reviews with bad news a few hours later these days! but alas. despite snake oil's sex appeal, i think it may ultimately be a little too foody for me? delicious but very, very heavy. i just have this sensitive tummy with some sweet scents, and this is one of them. :D

on the bright side, because this seems to be such a loved oil, i am sure i am about to make someone very happy with a future swap! :D

Edited by undream

I can't wear red musk (turns into a startlingly realistic BO scent).

I can't wear patchouli (I have visceral reactions to it; it literally makes me sick).

I can rarely wear spices (only when they're tempered by fruits or sweets, usually).

I can wear most vanillas, but not some (a lot of them come off burnt on me).

I've been into BPAL for three or four years and I've tried Snake Oil at least once per year.

Now, suddenly, I win a bottle in the Upper Hembree Whole Foods' solstice party drawings, try on their (somewhat) aged tester, and am HOOKED.

IT IS SO AWESOME. LIKE COOKIES. AND SEX.

Suddenly I can wear red musk! Patchouli isn't bothering me! The spices are low, dirty and extremely luscious! The vanilla is unbelivably smoky-sweet and sexy!

I'm going to have to buy about four bottles and age them. Damn this addiction :P

This is from a non aged imp from the lab . It is rather dark & did go one with a kind of yellow-ish look to it . The main thing I got from it was a patchouli vibe . Not much else . After being on my skin I did notice a bit of vanilla behind it all . But it's honestly hardly there to notice in my nose . I also now understand what folks are talking about when they mention play dough . It is funny what we associate scents with . Not saying it really does smell like play dough , just that I do notice a similarity . Spicy play dough perhaps .

I am not running to the sink to wash it off , for despite my less then ringing endorsement for it I do find it growing on me . For one thing , while I do get a patchouli vibe from it , it's not beating me over the head screaming patchouli like some other things I've tried . It's more lurking to pounce . And I am more then willing to let any of my bottles age , so I'm very much looking forward to what happens to this as it does . It's funny to me that it's in the Ars Amatoria section , cause I find it to be a very mind stimulating scent .

The imp I'm revewing from is about a year old...nice and thick. It went on pretty yellow so I had to rub it in to my skin.

From start to finish it is a glorious cloud of spiced and sugared bourbon vanilla. Intoxicating and sexy but in a sophisticated way...this is a thinking person's kind of sexy. The woman who wears this isn't necessarily the prettiest in the room but she is the one noone can take their eyes off.

I really should get a bottle to age so it is ready when my imp is gone.

Mmm. Not bad. I don't know that I'm as much in love with it as some are. I wouldn't buy a 5mL bottle. However, it IS nice. I don't get much of the sweetness of the vanilla on me. Instead, I kind of smell like the cask in which the vanilla was soaked in bourbon to make extract. It's a dry scent, very woody, with a veneer on top that's almost powdery. Pleasant, but not head-over-heels.

--Laura

Oh, wow. I think I have a new favorite here. This scent is pure sex. It's very complicated, difficult to say exactly what it smells like. I definitely get the sugared vanilla, and spices. Maybe a hint of clove. It smells even better on than it does in the bottle. My hubby is crazy about it.

Skeletor??????? What?

Yep. Skeletor scratch & sniff stickers.

I'm so not kidding.

Weird.

*puts IMP back in the box and lets it age for a while*

ETA: I did a quick google search and apparently there was an old He-Man toy named 'Stinkor' who was actually scented with patchouli oil, so maybe this is what i'm remembering? Does Snake Oil have patchouli in it?

Edited by AthenaRose

In Vial: Vanilla and woods

Wet: Sweet but dark and complex.

Dry: A bit soapy, dark brown sugar and vanilla. Not my favorite vanilla scent, but try if you like darker vanilla blends.

Too sweet.. I'm not a fan of BPAL's sweet vanillas, such as this, Dorian, and Antique Lace, so this isn't my thing.