Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Slobbering Pine

Dewy, wet, whiplike and sticky.

in the imp and on: pine cleaner...I like pine scents, but I like it when they have this sort of apple-y undertone, like a Christmas tree....

as it dries: smells like a men's deodorant on a guy who has been sweating a little. Not in a bo sort of way, more in a manly way--reminds of hugging a big, strong, man and getting a whif of his deodorant and it seems...personal.....
Not bad, but not for me...def. improves upon drying, though.

From The Lab:

SLOBBERING PINE

Note: Upon seeing the name of this fragrance, my initial reaction was :D :P I couldn't for the life of me figure how something with the word "slobbering" in its name could possibly smell good. Then I received a frimp of Slobbering Pine with my Blue Moon/ Rose Moon order.... UM, OMG!!!! I'll elaborate in the review but I shall never doubt Beth again. I'll buy it even if it's called "Piss and vinegar".... Hey, that's an idea, a forum only scent called piss and vinegar...... Yeah, on with the review.

In the Imp: Topnote of fresh Pine needles with a suggestion of resin in midground in a base of aquatics.... Reminiscent of richer "Lightening".

On skin, wet: Aquatic pine with a whisper of white florals. This is fabulous, very clean without being obnoxiously soapy.

Initial drydown: This one's a morpher, pine has become a trace note with the aquatics and the white florals coming to the fore. The pine is still there, but more as a spicy almost oriental green trace that keeps the scent from being too light.

Mid Drydown: True to initial drydown with the exception of that citrus that everyone else has mentioned, this isn't lime, but, maybe lemon, or, lemon balm.

Final drydown: Aquatic white flowers (think white flowers after a summer rainstorm) with a hint of broken pine needle and a whisper of herbal citrus. This is what the pine forests smell like in heaven. Clean, fresh, and, uplifting. An instant favorite!

How I love this. This was a freebie from the lab, which was great, because I never considered getting an RG scent before this one. It's pine in the very best way, light and fresh and wet. It smells just like walking through my college campus on a wet day, enjoying the scent from the trees.

It's fantastically wearable, and so lovely. Definitely on my bottle list.

Slobbering Pine

Source: imp from lab

In the imp: Wet brand new pine needles. This has a tangyness I didn't expect but really love so far.

On my skin I notice pine most prominently (well duh!) but not the resinous scent of older trees or dry pine needles. Instead this evokes a strong scent memory of walking through the pine woods behind my house in early spring when the new needles were out on a foggy early morning or after a spring storm. This smells exactly like those brand new needles when crushed and wet. Ahhhh, I love it.

At this rate I'm going to need to own the entire Garden, I've loved everything I've tried so far.

A freebie from the Lab.

I'm not a pine fan, but this one surprised me. It goes on in a blast of pine air freshener, but after a bit it settles down and takes on the sparkle that I usually get from the Lab's grapefruit note. Is there grapefruit in here? I could swear there is. Anyway, the end result is a light, effervescent pine scent that's altogether pleasant and really quite wearable. It's a delightful little blend for sure, and I did like it but I knew I wouldn't wear it often, so I sent it on down the road to brighten someone else's day. Happy trails, my piney little friend.

It's called Slobbering Pine, guys. SLOBBERING PINE. How cool is that? I mean, I know it's a real tree and all, but I just can't-- I mean-- SLOBBERING PINE, y'know? Slobber is one of my favorite words, too! Slobber slobber slobber.

In the Imp: Pine. And slobber. And by slobber I mean ozone and something citrussy. The oil is a faintly yellow-green color, which is cool. (Slobber!)

Wet: Warm something-- musk?-- and citrus and pine, pine, pine. Pretty and perky and fresh and also, did I mention, SLOBBERING PINE.

Dry: Ambergris. Maybe? Or a rich musk, combined with a fruity/floral overtone, and only the barest hints of pine left. It reminds me a lot of Snow Moon in the last stages, but not as strong and nowhere near as edible. I like the opening salvoes of this more than I like the drydown-- I miss the "pine in the face!" attack-- but I'll probably hang on to it just for the name, which is, by the way, SLOBBERING PINE.

Edited by WidgetAlley

This was a frimp in a purchase from Wren08! Thanks :P

In the imp: Eep. I can see why the description says 'whiplike'. This is pretty sharp.

Wet on me: Hm, refreshing. Better than I expected, actually. It's tangy, and while I don't think there's citrus in the blend there's a citrusy feel to it. It's *not* like floor cleaner, thank goodness.

Dry on me: Surprisingly subtle, but still tangy and rather soothing.

I didn't think I'd like this one, but I do!

A frimp from the lab--thank you!

Imp: Lemony pine.

Wet: Mint...or maybe eucalyptous, and citrus, and pine sol. This is much lighter than I expected, and yes, smells a bit like cleaner when wet....

Dry: Oh, never fear, the pine-sol is all gone. This is a really bright, clean citrus woods blend. It reminds me quite a bit of yggdrasil.

Overall: I expected this to be in-your-face-evergreen, but its really quite gentle. The pine-sol at the start almost scared me, but it tones down into a fresh, clean, almost aquatic and pale wood scent. Really, REALLY unexpected, very fresh and gentle and lovely. That said, I don't often wear the "clean" scents, so I'm going to pass it along.

In the imp: pine and lemon. Very nearly detergent-y.

On the wrist: Oh, there’s a nice warm wood in this, like a fire sparking up. But it’s not scorched, just a nice slightly smoky wood.

On drydown, the throw is soapy. Not a particular brand, but definitely soap. Closer to the wrist, though, it’s wet pine needles and wood.

Half an hour: It’s gone flowery; or rather, if pine were a flower, it would smell like this.

Four hours: the faintest whiff of piney powder. Interesting, but I think not a keeper. But if you liked pine scents but hemlock et al were too strong for you, I’d give this a serious go.

SLOBBERING PINE

In Bottle: Sharp pine

On Skin: This is a very sharp pine scent… almost like breaking a pine needle and getting that crisp fresh note. I can smell the sticky sap from the tree that gets on you and is impossible to get off. I grew up in the mountains so I’ve had that happen far too many times. It is sour and very pungent, a bit overwhelming for me. Great for someone who wants a pure pine scent, or to feel like they’re outdoors. Very winterlike and cold in feel. Super strong throw and very long wearlength.

Slobbering Pine doesn't much smell like either slobber or pine. It smells like laundry detergent. It's not a bad smell, it's just... laundry detergent. I tried the oil first on my finer in case it was awful the waft wouldn't be all over, then on my wrist, and the same thing happened both times. the pine shows up for about ten seconds when the oil is wet, then it morphs into the detergent. Maybe it's the florals/ozone/citrus others have mentioned. I personally don't get much citrus, but it may be in the background, but the ozone and florals do seem to be there to my nose. Luckily, I'm no pine lover so I'm not really mourning that aspect of the scent. Despite the detergent smell, it's pretty non-offensive so I'd wear this to work but for the overabundance of scents already in my bottle and imp boxes.

Out of the imp it's delicious wet and sticky pine. I love it already! Rather sharp though. Now I just hope that my chemistry doesn't mess it up!

It softens immediately on my skin and I get a lovely earthy smell as well. Like a pine forest after the rain. Absolutely gorgeous.

Overall a gorgeous foresty scent! I love it so much! Soft, dewy and lovely! I'm definitely going to need this one in a bottle :P

imp: strong, acrid pine with something sharp and almost citrus. this smells like really strong, medicated shampoo.

wet: this is far more mellow. the pine smells more piney, not so bitter. there is a wonderful sweetness with it now too, something that smells aquatic and like fresh, wet foliage.

dry: this dries to something sublime! it's sweet and fresh and beautiful! like faint fruits and flowers on a breeze through the forest. i find it hard to wrap my head around how harsh it smelled in the imp and what a lovely scent it dried down and became!

Bottle: Pine

Wet: Aquatic and pine, wow I never thought I'd like either of those notes!

Drydown: I used just a tiny dab and it's very strong! Very aquatic. My husband tells me I smell like air freshner.

3.5 outta 5

I love this scent. I thought it would be juicy somehow (maybe because of the name?), the same way that Nocnitsa smells 'juicy' or fruity to me. Not so with S.P. This is a dry pine that comes across as sharp and slightly soapy, but in a good way. It's a comforting smell to me. It reminds me of the woods in some BPAL aquatic blends, minus most of the aquatic, but perhaps there's still a bit of salt air left in there, giving this a bracing, eye-opening quality.

Bottle: hmm…pinesol

Wet: all right, the pine is a little better at this stage, a little more woody, true pine

Dry: GAH, powdery sweet note with the pine, ick ick ick.

Blech. This is reminding me too much of the cleaning powder the janitor used in grade school to clean up vomit on the carpet.

In the bottle – I suppose that it’s my reaction to the pine, but this smells like toilet cleaner to me

Wet on me – Dark, soapy pine

Dry on me – A faint dry dark sort of scent, which didn’t make much of an impression on me

Overall – Didn’t really grab me either way

Ack. In the imp this is a sweet sticky smelling pine-a bit reminiscent of the dreaded pine-sol, but not terrible.

Blehhhh, very pine-sol-y on my skin. There's kind of two layers of this-a realistic live pine smell underneath a top layer of a sickly sweet piney lemony cleaner. VERY strong. Blehhhh.

Then thirty minutes later it's practically gone. Weird. Not for me.

This smells like a very pleasant room spray to me. It's not nearly as piney as i thought it was going to be. I get a little bit of pine with a big burst of lemon...it's pretty light and has zero staying power on me. I can't say that I would wear it...it smells like it should be a household cleaner or room spray, not a body scent.

Yep, it's piney!

It's a lovely, fresh, cool pine, though. It does NOT bring to mind Pine Sol or other cleaning products, nor does it conjure memories of long cab rides.

It smells quite similar to the pine in Old Moon (which, admittedly, is one of the only other pine scents I have experience with). As it wears, it becomes a tiny bit sweeter and sappier. Very much like a freshly trimmed pine branch! The "cool" quality that I get in the beginning eventually reveals itself as an aquatic note, but it's soft and not ozoney. It is fairly strong, though. So when Beth says "dewy", she means it!

It's definitely not for me, for a perfume, but it would make a lovely winter atmospheric blend.

Edited by naeelah

They say that this a wet piney smell, and they are absolutely spot on with the description. While pine is normally considered a masculine scent, this one is asexual - there's no spice to make it Mars-specific. This is very wet, and pleasant without smelling like aftershave or deoderant.

frimp from the Lab!

I was pawing through my imps on this hottest of days. Snake Oil? No. Beaver Moon? No way. Shub? You gotta be kidding me. What's a spicy/sweet/resin lover like myself to DO on warm days, when the favourites are too heavy?

Slobbering Pine to the rescue!

Lovers of Hexennacht, take heart--this really smells very similar. This is fresh and crisp, like I was hoping. A bit sweeter than I figured it would be, but still nice. I wish it had more 'cool' notes, like eucalyptus or something but that's okay. It's nice.

I'm sure I'll finish my imp, but I probably won't get a bottle. But by the time it's gone, it'll be time for my favourites again. :P

Edited by ZomaTheSadist

In the imp, Slobbering Pine is pine and something else I can't identify. Wet on my skin, it starts off being pine with an aquatic men's cologne, then quickly turns to Irish Spring. I should've expected that, really. Dry, it calms down to a muted aquatic pine. It's a little too masculine on me, but except for the soapy stage, I like it. It's just not something I'd wear every day.

IMP: For some reason, as with Robin Goodfellow, I smell apples, mixed with pine and lemon.

WET: I'm sorry, but, no. It smells like air freshner, like the bathroom kind. Still very appley too, behind the ickness.

Drydown: It's definitely softened up a bit, which is good, I didn't like how this review was going...

It's very nice if you like foresty scents. We all know I'm piratey most of the time, so no forests for moi.

Overall: I may wear it closer to Christmas, naturally, lol. Definitely no big bottle...

In the bottle: Pale, vaguely greenish yellow oil. Pine and something fresh, mouthwatering and green, almost like green apples.

Wet: Fresh, bright, herbal, tangy, citrusy, eucalyptusy pine. Still something faint that smells like green apples.

After a few minutes on skin: Soft, almost fruity pine with that scent that still conveys the impression of green apples very prominently. I almost like this, but there's something a little cloying in the background, something that I can almost *taste* when I sniff. This is a very bad sign for me when it comes to scents and perfumes.

After first hour: Starting to get wafts of commercialness. This blend doesn't list notes, but it does describe itself as sticky, so maybe the stickyness is some sort of resin, possibly amber, which I tend to dislike and which tends to register as bad commercial perfume to my nose.

After two and a half hours: The icky cheapo cologne resin was thankfully brief. The scent is dying down to a soft, fruity, herbal, gentle pine. I think I'm getting faint hints of fresh moss, and I wish there was more of that and less of the fruity note, whatever it is.

After 5 hours: A fruity sweet and vaguely piney herbal.

Final Verdict: I think this blend would have been much, much better without whatever that note is of fruity sweetness that I keep catching. It's feminine and almost foody, and much warmer than I tend to like my green, herbal scents and I think for me it ruins a blend that would have otherwise had lots of potential.