Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The fear of Halloween. Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves.

In the bottle: I get the pipe tobacco too! A sweet tobacco. Very resinous.

Wet: Not much morph. Tobacco. I LOVE me some clove and vetiver & I think they are grounding it a bit so it doesn't go really sharp, but it's the same as in the bottle for me. I'm getting a little boozy scent too. Not bubbly but thick and boozy, I guess it could be the bourbon & the patch. It's a different patch than I've smelled in other scents. It reminds me of another scent & I can't figure out which one!

Dry down: It's starting to change a very little bit. I'm getting the sweet tobacco resin but it's becoming perfumy on me close to the skin. I'm getting a little of the dry leaves. Hummmmmm.......I'm not sure how I feel about this scent. I don't dislike it but I don't know if I love it. I'll try it on the hubby and see how it is on him.

2007 decant: I used it all up so I can't retest. My notes from my spreadsheet after the original skin-test indicated that this smelled exactly like a milder version of Samhain. If it returns this year, maybe I'll try another decant.

Just got my 2011, had a hard time keeping my bottle as I thought my BFF was going to inhale it, in it's entirety. Needless to say more is coming.

Deep dark rich with that dirty hippie patchouli. Yum.

What is the phobia called when you have a fear of running out of Samhainophobia?

This is perfect for me, because there is nothing I hate more than the scent of pumpkin, so I had phobia of Samhain. Got it?

Edited by stellamaris

An interesting version of Samhain, for me. I enjoyed it through the dry down, but then it became closer to a men's scent - Im keeping the imp, because its not unpleasant - would love a candle that smells like this.

Samhainophobia smells like what The Coiled Serpent would smell like if it died and crawled out from the grave. It's one of the darkest, scariest bpal scents I've tried yet. The geranium is giving me a sick/headachey feeling when I sniff it on my skin, but after it dries I can smell the menacing vetiver and heavy patchouli. I'm stashing this bottle away to age, which was my intention from the beginning.

In the vial: Vetiver, woods, and something faintly sweet in the background.

Freshly applied: Smokey, slightly musky, and almost but not quite registering as a "cologne" smell.

Drying: Vanishes slightly, then dried leaves similar to October come along, only with a smokey/sweet incense-ish background instead of October's not-quite-cedar.

Later: Much sweeter than I would have thought overall, I guess my skin amps geranium? Thankfully it's not too sweet or floral. The overall impression is a very incensy, sweet, sweet smokey scent with hints of leaves. I actually think I prefer it to October, since I'm not the biggest fan of smelling like cedar (or close to it).

In the imp: sharp vetiver and leaves.

On: this is a very manly man scent on me. Somehow the vetiver + oakmoss is reading like pipe smoke to my nose -- almost like a Herr Drosselmeyer, but no leather, and sweeter because of the geranium. It's a very comforting scent, actually! I was kinda hoping for more dread. As it dries down it gets sweeter and sweeter and now I smell like somebody's charming and wise and reassuring grandpa. No leaves, no balsam, just smoky sweetness and oakmoss.

This smells exactly like Samhain on me and on my husband, I was starting to think I had a mislabelled decant but my friend has tried them and she says that they are subtly different on her. In previous years they've been massively different. Is that just an aging thing? Are they actually meant to smell very similar?

2011 version

In the imp: I guess this unfamiliar smell is the vetiver. It matches the descriptions I've heard, a little feral. This could easily turn to funk on someone's skin. I can see why so many people dislike it, but it doesn't bother me so much in the vial.

On my skin, wet: I probably wouldn't like vetiver by itself, but somehow with patchouli it is a winning combination. This is spicy and smoky. There's a little sourness behind the smoke that is unsettling; it does evoke kind of an eerie feeling. The bourbon geranium is holding its own though, even among all these strong scents, so it's not manly at all on me, although it's very deep and dark.

Drydown: Briefly the sour, sweet, and clove registers to my nose as apple cider, and it's hilarious. This effect was way more prominent in my initial test, but it blends more with the smoky, uncertain background now that I've let it rest. Smoky apple cider...I kinda like it. The leaves and balsam are there, but they're way less prominent and blend so seamlessly in the background I have to be looking for them to notice them. The oakmoss is virtually indistinguishable from the patchouli, adding a bit of a woodsy vibe to it. This is just a really well-blended scent in general. I'm starting to get some throw now, and man, this is creepy. I can't explain it. I like it, but it's definitely keeping me off-kilter in a good way. It's fascinating.

Dry: It's so girly now, lol. The patchouli has faded to the point where it's almost musk-like, and there's a little bit of spice left, but the bourbon geranium is holding on. I think I just amp bourbon geranium to high heaven, but it's a good thing here since there are so many other pushy notes.

This is a really interesting, evocative scent. I don't see myself wearing this often, but I would totally wear it to a Halloween party or a gathering with a dark theme.

I smell the leaves, moss, and vetiver notes from Black Annis. Maybe plus a little geranium, but that vanishes. I prefer Black Annis.

Samhainophobia 2011 - My review of Samhainophobia 2006 is here (I liked it), and my review of Samhainophobia 2007 is here (I didn't like it). Because of my mixed reviews in the past, I was curious to try the 2011 version. The 2011 version reminds me more of the original 2006 version than the 2007 version, which was, at least in my batch, heavy on the vetiver. Overall, it still smells a lot like Samhain, which is one of my go-to scents in the fall. The patchouli and clove are the same as Samhain, but it's lacking the sweetness that the apple in Samhain gives it. The balsam and oakmoss give the scent a lovely warm depth, and the autumn leaves give it a hint of dryness. I love geranium so much, but I don't really smell it in this scent. Overall, this scent smells exactly like a dry, windy late-October evening. I really like it, but still can't imagine choosing to wear it over Samhain.

Edited for HTML fail.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

2011 Version

Preconceived Notions: I didn't really want to put this on, because I don't think vetiver is going to be okay. Just not my cup of tea.

In the Imp: Yep. Vetiver. I'll try it anyway because I want to sample anything that comes my way and give it a real chance.

Wet: Pungently vetiver and clove, also fungusy. It makes me squint my eyes because I don't like this on me at all. It smells like something that I might appreciate on a man, but in small doses.

Dry: It did mellow out a little bit, but I'm not enjoying it. Vetiver is screaming at me, and the rest of the notes are combining into something generically 'cologne' on my chemistry. It kind of stings my nose.

A Little Later: It actually does mellow and round out into something a little better, and definitely woodsy, but that's not my style, so I'm done with this one. I think somebody with different preferences/chemistry would actually dig this. It's distinct in what it does out of all the 2011 Weenies I've tried: dark, fierce, intense.

Overall: For me, 1/5 stars.

My imp is a decant from schackjj, The Goddess of Decanters (to borrow a quote from another participant in our decant circle.)

In the imp: Oil is clear and light brown with a sort of pinkish tinge. The scent is patchouli and clove with the smokiness of vetiver. It's an inspired combination.

On me, wet: A strong and pleasant woodiness dominates everything, but the patchouli/clove/vetiver are all vying for the starring role. This is a beautiful unisex scent.

On me, just dried: The balsams come out more as it dries, and they too are an excellent match with the other notes. Otherwise it is much the same.

After 15 minutes: The clove is now strongest, with wood and balsam right behind it; and then the patchouli and vetiver. I do get a bit of a dry leaves note as well. I'm surprised by how much I really, really like this. I'm usually a florals kind of person. But all of these notes just go so amazingly well together to make this a very special blend. I'm thinking I'm gonna "need" a whole bottle.

After 30 minutes: The wood and clove are about equal, and the wood is the lovely, comforting, fresh-cut lumber kind. The overall fragrance has sweetened up just a little, probably from the patchouli, although it is rather subtle in this blend. And now I can smell an undertone of geranium as well, which is probably contributing to the freshness of the lumber note.

After 3 hours: Clove, wood, and geranium. Still beautiful, and still going strong. Although the clove remains a distinct presence, it is gentler and sweeter than it was in the imp.

After 8 1/2 hours: Lighter, but still as strong as some scents are when freshly applied!

My rating: 4 1/2 stars

This one was quite a bit lighter than expected. I don't get leaves and smoke but it dries down nicely. On me, this blend becomes honey with a kick. It's sweet with a tad bit of spice.

This is the 07 version. I could hardly smell anything in the imp, and on for the first few minutes. Gradually, I'm getting a bit of apples, then a strong mulling spice. The apple is now gone, and I'm getting the spice (I can't even tell really what it is, it's just a well blended spice), and musky leaves. I like this, and I'll certainly enjoy the rest of the imp, though it seems more suited to autumn weather, with blowing leaves and NO SNOW.

2011 Version: Evil apple at first, kind of like a patch infused apple with leaves. Gradually turns into leaves and spices. This is pretty much how I remember the 07 version to be, though this is kind of medicinal, and STRONG. Not really my thing, though maybe it needs to age, and a little dab'll do.

Edited by milo

Note: this is for the 2011 version.

In the imp: Lots of vetiver and autumn leaves.

Wet: Now the patch comes out, but the leaves and the vetiver are still very strong.

The dry-down: There is now some sharpness from the geranium and the clove. Certainly a scent for those who don't like the autumn. :) If there was more patch and leaves, and less of the vetiver and the geranium, I would like it a lot better.

I don't know why I've never tried this. I'm pretty ashamed of myself, really, because I ADORE it, and my partner loves it on me, too (He said: "That's the best kind of filthy!"). I've tried to love Samhain over the years, but I find it too sharp and acidic on my skin, though I think it's brilliant. Samhainophobia is like the fruit in Samhain got cooked down to a sticky reduction, then the creamiest vetiver ever (a note I struggle with, but do sometimes really like...as in Blood Kiss, and Great He Goat), and a big drop of U Mutter Museum was added (dry and balsamy), and the whole blend got aged to perfection-a dark skin scent that is just my style. Holla!!!! :joy: It's a serious perfume with a silly name. I hope it comes back in 2012!!!

Edited by lookingglass

I've had this sitting in my closet for almost a year, and I have no idea why! It's quite a sexy scent on me.

In bottle: Something soapy, like it should be green but actually is warm. A bit of sweetness, quite strong.

On skin: Sweet smoky tobacco and herbs. A clove cigarette on damp leaves. I love it.

Dry: Still sweet and smoky, the soapy/voodoo smell dies down (vetiver?) and reveals more sweetness. Now it's starting to smell like spiced apple like Samhain, but still has a lot more throw.

It smells very similar to Samhain on me, as some have described as Samhain's darker older sister. I love it! I'm glad I finally gave it a shot.

This is the 2006 version.

In the Bottle: Delightful, dirty vetiver with a lurking hint of sweetness. It makes me think of cotton candy fallen in the dirt. An exceptionally strong throw.

On My Skin: The vetiver backs off almost immediately, becoming a softer, muskier loam instead of U SMEL SOIL NAO. It's still a down-and-dirty hippie type of smell. I've lost the cotton candy entirely. At the very top of the inhale, I get a sharpness - like a hidden mint.

After Fifteen Minutes: Mmm, filthy hippie. This is dirty, woodsy vetiver at its absolute best. There's a hint of sweet smoke reminiscent of the cigar scent I get in Black Annis, without being so overwhelmingly foul that I have to wash it off because I smell like a sour cigar shop. It's smoky, dirty, and a hint of sweet. There's something which makes me think of apple cider at the very top of the inhale now. Having just escaped the hubbub of the county fair for a while with a cup of hot cider in hand, I'm sitting on a fallen log and mourning the cotton candy I dropped in the loam - that's the olfactory visual I get.

ITI: It's floral but musky at the same time. Autumn leaves swirled in bourbon and patchouli, infused with balsam. Nice.

Wet: The vetiver come out on my skin while the balsam strengthens over the other notes, to the point that I can only get a hint o bourbon and nothing else from the previously detected notes.

Dry: The balsam has called down, although it and the vetiver are still dominant notes. There are subtle hints of the autumn leaves and clove coming out, making this a nice woodsy resinous scent.

2006 version.

In the Bottle: I can smell leaves, and apples. It's very cool smelling, in a clear starry night way.

Wet: Crackly, dried leaves. Has a certain smokey quality, but seriously smells just like crackly autumn leaves. Standing around a bonfire underneath a bare tree, all the leaves now resting on the ground.

Drydown: This sweetens a bit, now it smells like someone drinking spiced apple cider while standing beside a bonfire underneath a bare tree with dried leaves on the ground.

Verdict: I love this! Managed to snag a bottle on eBay, and have also just ordered a bottle of Samhain with the rest of my weenies, I hope it smells just as good as this!

4/5

ETA: Once I've been wearing this for a few hours, it's all soft, snuggly apple musk. Not fresh bright apple, but aged, slightly fermented apple. I LIVE for this apple musk. Stunning. Now...must try Rapunzel in Ballpoint....

Edited by welcometothefamily

Starts off VERY heavy on the vetiver, but eventually dries to a mellow, sweet, and cool spiciness with the clove and geranium being most prominent but the spices never overwhelm. I agree with the above poster that it's evocative of a clear autumn night.

The more I sniff, the more I love. I imagine this will be AWESOME with aging, and will definitely upgrade to a bottle. wub2.gif

Edited by thatbrownelf

2013:

Smells GREAT in the bottle, woodsy and smokey. Totally what I wanted.

On me? All I get is cider. I kind of smell like my guinea pig's pen from when I was young, and I do not like it.

I wanted leaves and woods and smoke, but just get Piglet the guinea pig. :cry2:

Big bottle for sure.

This has made me rethink my loathing of vetiver. Recently some of my new favorites have had this note in them. I guess when vetiver is bad it is very bad and when it's good it's earthy beautiful smoke-ish green. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also think I have found a scent that both MR. and I can share. He has his and I have mine but none of them are good on both of us. Samhainophobia is great on us both. On him it takes on a much darker quality with the patchouli coming up front and center and on me I pick up on honey and lots of clove.

In the vial: Strong! Vetiver, smoke and woods.

Wet on skin: Hello vetiver, nice to meet you.

Dry on skin: After the initial application, this scent blossoms into a wonderful fragrance of a crisp clear night, in the darkest depth of the woods, surrounded by apple trees and burning leaves. Oh my, it is glorious!

Cider with the grounding force of the vetiver. The vetiver is earthy, and imo, slightly bitter, which mingles beautifully with the slightly sweet aspects of the cider/apple and clove notes. The leaves and smoke just add to the complexity of this scent. Let's just say that my somewhat picky hubby even loves this scent on me - and it smells great on him too! This is a bottle for sure.