Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

When you need something comforting or cheering

I recently was laid off and I found that smelling the tea scents (Maiden and The Dormouse to be precise) helped me out of my depressed state. Milk Moon is my comfort scent in general.

Well, I had a lousy morning today. I put on some Hollywood Babylon to test it, and I must say it's cheering me up no end! A very happy, bubbly scent on me.

I've been grabbing for Dorian on suck-tastic days lately. I don't think I view it as a cheery kind of scent as such, but I just love it so damn much, sniffing it brightens my mood. White Light is also immensely uplifting to sniff (in the imp; I never wore it), but the chances of me finding/getting a bottle of that (unless/until the TAL site goes up) are pretty much zero.

Edited by Aredhel

Something no-nonsense, like Zephyr. I feel I have to carefully calm down my bad moods as opposed to trying to "jolt" myself out of them with overly chipper/bright scents.

Normally I'd want to stick with catalog scents, but recently, SUgar Skull, Fruit Moon, and especially Gingerbread Poppet have been a great comfort on crappy days.

i used to wear baron samedi on days like those [of course, it's a favorite because i have a lot of bad days :3]. but one morning in particular, i wore baron samedi and hit a deer in my car. ever since i have been iffy about wearing it ._. scent does really capture a lot of memories.

I tend to grab for Wrath when I'm in a grumpy mood, I think it gives me an emotional kick in the pants.

Just even a tiny whiff of Bliss works wonders if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed or I know the day is going to be hellish. Mmm :P

Not so much first thing in the morning, but the last few months there have been a few hair-raising days at work and I found myself sitting at my desk once the crisis was over and just breathing in Midnight from my wrists. It instantly takes me to a peaceful, serene, moonlit garden and I can start breathing again. I keep an imp in my purse just for those times.

Maimun

Great question. For me, it's Honey Moon.

I associate it with wonderful, special times, plus it was my first BPAL love.

But if I need to get things done despite my mood, I think I'd put on Love in the Asylum. There's something about it that makes me feel ready for anything.

I find Tenochtitlan very cheering. Amber-based scents in general are what I reach for when I want something uplifting and cozy, and Tenochtitlan in particular has Mexican herbal notes I associate with happy memories. I have to take it with me for reapplication, though - it doesn't last as long as I would like.

I find Alice very calming and soothing.

For a pick me up energizer, I like Lustration or Baobhan Sith.

Hmmm... I don't think I have a "cheery" BPAL scent. :P Must fix that.

White Rabbit always feels very cleansing to me, so I wear that a lot when I don't feel particularly good. I also like Queen of Clubs, because it's earthy enough to be comforting but gorgeous enough to give me a self-confidence boost.

If I wake up thinking it's gonna be a rough day at work, I always reach for High John the Conqueror and/or Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo! For those days when I feel just cold and physically ill at the thought of getting out of bed, I love to wear Sudha Segara. It's like my warm fuzzy comfort blanket! Lately I've been wearing my little imp of Moxie in the mornings, to give me a kick-in-the-ass empowering wake-up. I definitely need a big bottle of that one soon!

I'll put in a plug for Coyote. I find there's something immensely comforting and protective about it - like being followed by a big, warm, furry, good-humoured invisible guard dog.

Baobhan Sith and Swank, those are my happy scents :P Lightning calms me down and tends to 'ground' me, its my best friends scent and anything that makes me think of him makes me feel better. On days where I just feel like I need a hug? Milk Moon or Antique Lace.

What a great topic!

I looked at it for some advice today as I got very sick this weekend and needed to feel better and get back to work this morning. Embalming Fluid is doing wonders. I bet Shanghai would be great too, green tea in general tends to wake me up and help me get going.

Thanks everyone!

Snake Oil b/c of its comforting sensuality.

Dorian b/c it's rather cheerful in a understated way.

Dana O'Shee b/c it's so "mother-y" smelling.

I've been reaching for Snake Oil when I don't feel so great lately. To me, and on my skin, it's not so much a sexy scent, but more of a warm, comforting hug. It really helps me get through the day.

My comfort smells are bloodmoon, gingerbread poppet and snake charmer. Coincidentally, snake charmer is also my "take me now" scent. nothing cheers you up like a quick romp in the bedroom, right? :P

If I need to be happy, though, dorian and pink phoenix/pink moon can cheer me right up!

Edited by jewelbug