Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

From the Imp: Wow! It smells really strong and has that round sour note other people have said. It's like a herbal, sweet, vinegar. I was bold and put some on!

Wet: Still pretty much the same and doesn't really mellow on my skin. It's slightly less in my face, but wowzer.

Dry: My skin is amping the sour spicyness of it and it's really not that pleasant. I was hoping it would round out but it's really stuck on a wierd note I'm not familiar with.

Not really for me, but am glad I got to try it!!

Jenn

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

Bitter, bitter floral in the vial. Opted simply to smell this is the vial because it promises to be overwhelmingly strong. Got a bit on my fingers from opening the vial.

Whoa. Lots of frangiapani and jasmine. We all know what happens to jasmine with my skin chemisty. Class? That's right. It amps it up to the point that nothing else can be smelled.

Even 'tho the trace of Delight on my fingers has some hints of rose and other floral, it's almost exclusively jasmine not 10 minutes in ...oh well.

Not so delightful for me, but it might be for you.

Nondescript floral perfume scent, but with an undertone of something unpleasantly sharp. Not for me!

This is a very heady but pretty floral. It feels really warm and sticky and heavy on me, and has a very langorous, lounging-about-in-an-exotic-locale feel. Initially, it's a little green and sharp, but softens down pretty soon. Sadly, it contains jasmine, and my skin amps jasmine like whoa. After a few minutes, this is just jasmine with a small hint of the softness of the other florals.

Delight is a far cry from what I would call a delight. It’s a very heady floral and well, my nemesis Jasmine has made an appearance in it, ruining any potential that I may enjoy this scent. It’s one of the only two BPAL rose scents that I dislike. There’s something light and bright – maybe the frangipani? I don’t know what frangipani smells like, so I’m only guessing here. I think if this blend had been created sans jasmine, I’d find myself drawn to it. In fact, I may have to try this in a scent locket since that would keep my skin chemistry from amping up the jasmine, and if that works, then I might find myself wearing it and not swapping/selling it.

Source: Imp

Bottle: On me, the rose is particularly dominant. There’s a vague woodsy scent beneath the sharp floral notes. It’s not as strong as I thought it would be which worried me a bit since floral scents tend to die away fairly quickly.

Wet: It’s still the rose, but it’s the jasmine… too? Maybe? Jasmine is very strong on me, which is why I normally avoid it, but the two of them are mixing together quite nicely! I kinda like it, even though I’ve gone off floral scents.

Drydown: Haha, a lot of scents tend to go baby powdery on me, and this is no different. The rose and jasmine are mixing together for a wonderfully sweet and powder-like smell that makes me think of a bouquet I once got for my birthday. It’s the same short-lived feeling… but without the nostalgia.

Dry: Mm, yeah, it’s fading. Two hours into it, I have to hold my nose above my wrist in order to smell it. It still smells beautiful and wonderful and kind of like an award on a good day, but it just goes *poof* after a couple hours of sitting still. Definitely not something to wear during the summer in Japan, where stepping outside guarantees a continuous buildup of sweat every single moment.

Overall: I like it, but I think I’ll stick to an imp for now. Maybe. I’d have to slather the stuff on me to give it a decent throw. Perhaps it would be a good fall or spring scent, when the weather is actually bearable?

Something about this scent really, really put me off. I had to wash it off right away. It's very strong and not at all what I like in perfumes!

I'm noticing that I don't like some blends with jasmine. Maybe jasmine is not a good note when combined with my skin chemistry.

rating: 0/5

delight.jpg

Delight seems to have gotten a fairly bad rap which is a bit unfair in my opinion. It does indeed contain a great deal of jasmine and it does smell like a blend that came out in the day when the lab used jasmine much more than it does now, so it doesn't smell like the Black Phoenix offerings from early 2005 on. Yes, that is so. And it does go on uber-floral in the wet stage, too sweet, too heavy, too over-the-top-Indian-smells something like "you know what". OK, you are right about that.

However, there is a "second scent" which emerges as Delight starts to dry down, with is breathtakingly beautiful. I found this in House of Night and it is definitely here. Try it on the back of your hand and then cruise the forum. That "second scent" will rise up and it really is delightful.

This may be a case where the perfume smells "loud" and unpleasant in "mass tone" but you need a good deal of atmosphere between the source and your nose to bring out the gorgeous maturity of it. If you can do that, you will be rewarded with the perfection of the beauty of this big floral and really see where the Indians would use such an overwhelming combination to heartbreakingly lovely effect. You will be gassed out if you just splash it on like Jean Nate, Delight has to be treated with respect, if you can do that you will see how beautiful and artistic this tidal wave of white strong flowers can be, how very sexy.

So, if you are someone who loves florals please don't pass up Delight. Give it a try in a restrained way. I think you will find something which is very very very good if not a staple in your scent wardrobe.

In the bottle: It smells like a nice floral boquet that's rotted or gone sour. Something's not quite right here.

First on: It's very prominant and very citrus floral. It feels like it'll go sour on me like most rose blends, which sucks. I can pick out the rose & the jasmine behind the sour though, so time will tell.

After an hour: The sour is gone and it's just a very cloying floral blend. It's actually very pretty, but not for me. It reminds me of dried potpourri petals.

Overall: Very pretty in an old Victorian way. Not for me.

In the bottle: I get a faint smell of rose hear, but I mostly get...Frangipani? I have no clue what that smells like so I'm just guessing. It's something I'd normally describe as an incense note.

Wet: Rose incense....actually it kind of smells like Anne Bonny with a rose note. I know this is not like any of the other reviews but that's what I get (and I'm usually not so different from everyone else *sigh*)

Dry: Still basically the same but all the notes have blended together a little better.

Definitely not me, although it's not bad.

Let me start by saying that florals and I do not generally get along. Delight (which I put on without reading the description) is no exception.

In the bottle, it was all florals. No sour note.

Wet, it was overwhelming florals (mixed with mustard, but I'm guessing that's just my skin protesting), and if I wasn't late for work I'd have washed it off.

Within an hour it was gone. Can't say I miss it much.

In keeping with my policy of trying every imp I am fortunate enough to receive, I tried it. I am reminded that I am not a pure floral person. It was okay, but to me, smelled too much like something from a department store.

Delight is a sensual bouquet of florals that will overwhelm and overpower the unwary wearer. This particular scent is not one to slather, as a little of this oil truly goes a long way. At first, the floral notes may seem discordant, giving the blend a sharp, pungent, almost animalistic quality. As they settle, these notes find a beautiful harmony together, and this is where Delight truly shines.

Because Delight is so intensely floral, and because it tends to swing wildly with skins chemistry, I recommend trying this, but in a manner other than on one's skin. Wear it in a scent locket. Burn it in an oil burner. Apply it to your sheets an hour before you intend to use them. Add it to a romantic bubble bath for two.

Delight Haiku,

Lay me down, my Love

Upon a bed of flowers:

No sweeter repose

imp: great rose and nice florals. I can really smell plumeria.

on wet: florals with a yucky, sour washcloth note...I think it may be the rose. Some of the BPAL blends I have tried with rose in them seem to do that to me, and then it goes away after a bit and becomes nice. But still nice plumeria and other florals.

dry: no more sour old washcloth rose. nice floral blend with good throw and lots of depth.

several hours later: Still good through after several hours. A very lovely floral blend. I liked this much better after it settled in a bit, but if I had to pick and choose, I would say this one is too much of a straight floral for me to want to use it often.

VERY nice, but I might put it with the swaps to get something else I am really craving to try, like O or Snake Oil.

In the imp: Overpowering jasmine. Not a good beginning, as I was hoping that the other notes might be stronger.

Wet on skin: Slightly less strong, but still too much Jasmine.

Dry on skin: Still too much jasmine. I like rose and frangipani, but the jasmine is just bleh.

Verdict: If you like jasmine, this one's for you! If you don't like jasmine, beware.

This has to be one of the strangest BPAL experiences I've ever had (so far).

In the imp, Delight smells like vinegar. A few other posters said pickles, and I can

definitely see that. But since i've had other scents morph into wonderful things on my skin,

I gave Delight a try.

As it dried, the vinegar went away and another note started to appear: lettuce! Yes, lettuce.

That got me thinking of sandwiches, and when I sniffed my wrist, I swear I smelled lettuce,

maybe some pepper, and a little oregano (the oregano could have been my imagination).

So strange.

After about an hour, it changed into a very nice spicy floral. I thought I liked foody scents,

but on my skin, this was more like deli than Delight.

(sigh) not for me.

ETA: When I tried this on my son, after the initial pickle smell, it promptly turned into a really beautiful spicy floral. So it's definitely my evil skin.

Edited by Gale

Not my Imp, so this'll be a quickie review.

In the Imp, Delight smells like weak, salted-and-vinegared florals. Very strange. I can see pickles with jasmine, yeah. On my skin, it was a spiced, clean-but-heavy floral, tropical and slightly soapy. Frangipani, jasmine, tuberose, and the lovely soap rose always turns into on my skin, in that order. To be fair, it's better than some: the spice helps ground it and keep it from getting out of control, but it's still very much not my thing.

Edited by WidgetAlley

This is a strange smell from the vial – like flowers with something very un-flower-like cutting through them, something powerful and more green and spiky – I know what the other flowers smell like, so perhaps it is the tuberose? On my skin, though, I can smell a delicious waft of jasmine (and perhaps the frangipani), tempered by the rose, with only a slight hint in the background of this spiky smell behind it all which stops it from being very sweet. After a couple of hours on my skin this becomes a very soft smell of florals which are almost warm on my skin, with a soft rose being the strongest of the flowers in the faded blend.

This is a heavy one!

Wet - TUBEROSE!!!!!! and jasmine

Dry - I amp tuberose. And although I love it in conjunction with with notes, in this case it just grabs the reins and will not let go. I get a very powdery rose, the wee-est bit of frangipani (which is a big bummer because I love that one) and lots of jasmine.

I really tried to like this one but alas - off to the swap pile.

I smell jasmine and rose. Not as Victorianish as some of the other rose-based ones of theirs I've tried. Has some darker undertones, too, and it's more complex than some other rose-based ones. Good scent.

Score: 4 out of 5

after reading so many bad reviews, i'm surprised that i actually kind of like this - it was a frimp from the lab, and a scent i don't think i ever even heard of. anyway, my review: this smells very *indian*, which i like - yes it is slightly sour, i suppose, but it also smells pretty exotic to me - not a floral i've often smelled. it reminds me of oils from india that i've smelled in some new-age-y bookstore type places. luckily, i don't smell a great deal of rose or jasmine - i'm guessing it's the frangipani i smell most, i dunno. it's a little spicy-incense-y... glad i got to try this unusual fragrance.

Interesting blend. I have no clue what frangipani smells like but on me, it smells a little bit like dust. I can pick up the faintest whiff of jasmine and tuberose before this blend disappears on me completely. :P

In the Bottle

Yummy! This smells like Woodstock (yes, I live near this town in upstate NY). Incense and shops filled with tie dye. Must be the frangipani. I really like it!

Wet

Still smells like incense. Very heady aroma, it smells spicier than I'd imagine a floral scent to be. Sort of soapy, but good.

Dry

On me, this has staying power! It's like, 12 hours later and I can still smell some of it. Delight dried to a powdery finish, I can see how some might find it an "older" scent, but I love it. Yum! I might need to purchase a full bottle, but I'll try it a few more times first.

Hooray! My first review.

This came as a frimp with my last order.

Imp: Very, very floral, with a fresh, almost lemon-y undertone.

Wet: Reminds me a bit of incense (probably the frangipani), as it gets spicier as soon as it hits my skin.

Dry: I can detect a hint of rose, but mostly powdery frangipani and jasmine.

Overall: This is probably the most flowery scent I've tried to date. On me, it smells a bit like potpourri. Not my thing at all, I'm afraid. Also, it disappears very quickly.