Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

This turns out to smell a lot like those Indian shops at my place that sells incenses and stuff. Those florals are like major shouting for attention on my skin. And it starts to give me a big headache. Maybe I should stay away from florals. starting to notice a pattern of what florals are doing to me.

It's a little unfair for me to even post a review of this! I got this as a frimp, and with a name like "delight" I wanted to dive in without seeing the notes first. As soon as I popped open the imp, though, I got a bad feeling. Jasmine! I've tried too many BPAL perfumes featuring jasmine (it just FINDS me!) and it's killed the scent almost every time... I think it almost behaved a grand total of two times. Still, it DID almost work twice... so I steeled myself for the worst, hoped for the worst, and dabbed it on. Sure enough, wet on the skin, it was a blast of maybe-floral cat pee, acrid and sour, nauseatingly wet yet powdery. I didn't wash it off just yet, but I kept my wrist far away from my face, and tried delicately taking a whiff after about ten minutes. Unfamiliar floral cacophany, drenched in cat pee jasmine. Eesh. After twenty minutes, the rose bursts through. It's not the friendly variety, it's the harsh, stale, "I hate you, tajana!" variety. This is just disastrous with my skin chemistry. Rose and jasmine are generally harbingers of doom for me... if they aren't for you, chances are you'll find this scent a lot more delightful than I did!

Inside the imp, Jasmine & Rose. :sick:

Wet on my skin, more of the same but with an aquatic feel to it. Dries down to heavy jasmine. Not for me.

I've been terribly nostalgic lately so I got this hoping it would emulate at least some of my memories of travelling to primary school (I was there last year for a carnival - it's 167 years old, rumoured to be haunted and built on a strange narrow road smelling of frangipani blossoms and earth, hasn't changed quite a bit!)...I got no frangipani from this at all. I wish I had learnt earlier that jasmines amp on my skin. So that's exactly what happened. :( I also found out that I dislike tuberose as it reminds me of noisy weddings. So this smells like herbal jasmine hair oil on me. Very pungent and off-putting. The thing is, I do like jasmine as a flower. It's fresh and sweet and honeymoon-like. But it smells so different in perfumes and skin/hair products. Why is that?

In the imp: Frangipani and jasmine and honeysuckle. We had all of these in my garden as a child, and this is like all three squished together. :)

Wet: Holy heady flowers! Now it is all three, but even more WHAM. The frangipani is doing a little tap dance on the top.

Dry: The frangipani is really taking over. It is strolling away from the skin and drifting around. The other flowers just adding more depth.

A while later: Unfortunately this one does not last that long and the frangipani mostly disappears after its wild and heady dance, leaving just a hint of itself behind like a memory near the skin, being cuddled and caressed by the other blooms like a memory on my skin. VERY floral, very delicate and quite enticing.

I'm . . . . confused. I don't know what this scent it. It says Delight on the imp, with the description of "Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine", but I don't know what to make of it. There's a floral note in there that's almost certainly the rose and jasmine and an unburned-incense-stick scent that might be the frangipani. The scent seems reasonably stable on my skin (or it might be that I can't decypher what I'm smelling, so noting a change is a little difficult.)

Not at all a bad scent, but not one I'm likely to wear.

In the imp, I'm getting what I think is a blend of all the flowers, with the tuberose being a bit sharper than most. On my skin, this smells like really, really heady florals, which I'm thinking is the frangipani and tuberose interacting with the jasmine and the rose. This scent just isn't working for me; it's a nice heady floral, but not anything I particularly want to smell like. Swaps.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

This is a lovely "Oriental floral" with a bit of green on me. Surprisingly fresh on the drydown, though there is a short period when wet on the skin that this can be slightly cloying.

To my nose Delight is exactly the scent of jasmine after a light rain. This is another stong floral that would be very nice coupled with something that has dirt or moss notes in it.

Oooof-in the imp this is STRONG heady jasmine. If you are a jasmine hater, I would beware-I like jasmine in certain blends and in certain amounts, but this just might be too much for me!

Ohhh, yes, this is a very strong heady floral-the jasmine is the strongest to me, with undertones of the other flowers. It's a bit overwhelming at first-strong scent and throw, but it starts to calm down pretty quickly and mellow out from ZOMGFLOWERS. On my skin the blend didn't last very long and faded rather fast-within a few hours it is almost completely gone actually.

Overall, this is a very floral kind of floral blend-I mean really-if you hate florals, this is not one to switch you over to the flower-side. But if you want a rich, heavy, heady floral scent and you really like jasmine, you have to check this out!

I love all the notes listed, here's hoping that they all love me. Wet; the jasmine is tamed but there is a slight soapy smell which I suspect is the rose. Hopefully it'll change a bit more while it dries. As it dries my skin eats it up like no one's business. There is a faint smell now of tuberose laden rose but just a whisper. I can tell a bit of jasmine too, but hardly anything. The drydown reminds me of a lot of persephone once it finishes. I have a bottle of persephone so I don't need this but it's a good alternative if it ever gets discontinued.

Edited by Deiicide

:::DELIGHT:::

Sweet, bright, Baby-doll pink...

Delight is soft, fresh-out-of-the-bath and vigorously toweled skin, silly-frilly panties, fresh-cut flowers, a bowl of candy and a bowl of strawberries all wiggled together under your nose...

The Tuberose and Jasmine battle for top position wearing ridiculously flimsy swimsuits and tanning oil.

Delight is, HOT, HOT, HOT!

Come and get it!

A kittenish grin that holds a smoking gun, turbo-hot fragrance for her...

Meowch!

4/5!

If this combination of flowers was strewn across my bed, the result would be projectile vomiting. So very horrible. I used to love the scent of frangipani, but the jasmine has defiled it.

What did I ever do to make jasmine hate me so much?

I love frangipani, I love jasmine (and seem to be in the minority in that), but I never seem to have any luck with their scents. This was just way too sharp in the imp, wet on skin, and seem to be staying that way as it's drying. It's even the same sharp notes with a drop or two in the oil burner. This is basically assaulting my nose. I reeeally wanted to like this, but it was not meant to be :(

Edited by heywilma

Delight is one of those oils I'd think about when I was putting together imp packs and then strike from the list. I have Misgivings about florals, you see- with the capital M. I never think I like them, but then sometimes I'm really surprised by how well some of them work. Unfortunately, Delight is one of those oils that reinforce my mental "do not want" mantra. I find Delight and Hell's Belle to be quite similar not in that they are both screaming florals, even though the florals are different. They are power florals, take no prisoner florals. I think if someone else smelled Delight on me, they would like it, because I haven been complimented on Hell's Belle, but I just can't get it off me fast enough. I could smell the frangipani on the edges of the scent, which actually has a nice sweetness to it aside from the screaming. I had my mother smell it, since I thought it was more of something that she would like, and she thought it smelled old fashioned. So if you like florals who know who they are and don't mind saying so, this might be the blend for you. If you don't, then I'd skip it.

Delight is, hands down, my favorite perfume EVER. Not just from BPAL, but any other brand I've ever tried- and I am a horribly addicted perfume hound with dozens, maybe hundreds of scents in my closet. A perfume of this caliber deserves a thorough review from me, so I'm sorry if this is long-winded. I am so fortunate that a friend randomly gave this to me as a freebie, just because it didn't work on her.

I will start by saying that this blend is complex and seems to be the kind that wears differently on everyone- try the imp first. On my skin, it changes a bit day to day. Sometimes, it is a blaring rose, sometimes a subdued jasmine, and sometimes it has an almost sandalwood-musky scent to it. I like the exotic, almost tropical background that the frangipani lends, and the odd mood-ring effect.

I am not a jasmine hater, I am absolutely enamored with jasmine (as you can see by my screenname), on me it smells nice, so for the known jasmine-haters out there, you might want to avoid this one, however, the rose and tuberose might tune the jasmine out enough for some.

Oddly enough, I am something of a rose-hater, usually rose turns to sour sweat smell on me, but in this blend, it is lovely, sweet blossoms.

On first whiff, there is something sharp, not entirely unlike nail polish remover, or maybe those synthetic aldehydes that are popular in commercial perfumes. On my skin, though, the sharpness is grounded and turns rich, and has something of a green scent, like a lush garden. It has somewhat of a throw, people seem to compliment me when I'm wearing it, women and men. My sensitive-nosed mother likes it, and my lover sent me a text message the first time I wore it, saying his pillow still smelled amazing from me sleeping there.

After a few hours, it fades to a demure, floral with a sort of white musk scent in the background, this stage almost reminds me of a much more sophisticated Japanese Cherry Blossom from bath and body works.

My one complaint with this scent is simply that it fades too soon. It is feminine, sexy, original, and would not smell the same on 2 random people. Well done, BPAL! you have given me the signature scent I've been looking for.

This was a lab frimp. I really don't care for many floral scents at all and rose really hates me. However, frangipani is another name for plumeria, and plumeria is the one floral that I adore. It reminds me of my trip to Hawaii many years ago. So despite all of the other floral notes listed, I took a chance and tried it on just because of the frangipani. Fortunately, it comes out strongly on my skin, and isn't drowned out by the rose or tuberose, and even the jasmine is somewhat complimentary on me. Bottom line, it's decent enough that I will wear this imp in the summer and use it up, but won't order more.

In the bottle: frangipani & rose. I don't catch the jasmine or tuberose (luckily, given that they both turn to horrible baby powder on my skin). it's sweet and very very femme. a little too much floral if you ask me, but we'll see.

On my skin: definitely frangipani still (very tropical) and roses, though it's turning more into tuberose which is a bit powdery and less juicy than plain traditional roses. the jasmine still doesn't really show up, except in the background. dries to a powdery jasmine, with hints of a sharp tuberose.

Last thoughts: it's nice and very floral, but also very traditional and femme-y. not my thing, but this is another one of those that would suit people who are used to department-store style scents and don't want something too "out there". it's strong, so a little goes a long way - don't overdo it!

In the imp -- jasmine

Wet -- nothing but jasmine, the soapy kind with a bitter edge. The frangipani may be contributing soapiness there too. Not a hint of rose or tuberose yet.

Dry -- stayed soapy and heavy on the jasmine. I was looking for heady rose and tuberose, thinking of the flower petals on my bed on my honeymoon in Bali and got none. Fortunately, I guess, it faded fast. At the tail end I got the faintest hint of tuberose. Swap

What's not to love? Every one of these oils are among my shortlisted top faves. Yeah, I'm a flower child.

In the imp: Oil is a clear pale yellow, the color of hay. My first impression is pure frangipani. I'm channeling a heavenly fresh plumeria lei that I was given in Hawaii on my honeymoon. My most-favorite lei ever. I've been in search of a true plumeria fragrance ever since. It's a shame that BPAL doesn't sell Single Notes anymore, because this is it.

On me, wet: The frangipani and jasmine dominate. I love how perfectly balanced they are and how the sweet frangipani calms down the sharp soapy note that Jasmine tends to have. I can detect the rose and tuberose as well. I'm awed!

On me, drydown: Alas, the jasmine has stolen the show and except for a hint of rose, I no longer get the other lovely flowers. At least the jasmine still isn't too sharp.

After about 20 minutes: All jasmine. Thank goodness I do like jasmine. But I miss the other flowers.

After about 1 hour: As the jasmine looses some of its oomph, I can now detect a hint of frangipani again; as well as a hint of the tuberose. Rose seems to be hiding. And jasmine is still the dominatrix, but things are starting to come into a more equal balance again.

After a couple of hours: A lovely soft floral scent, with no specific flower identifiable.

Verdict: A morpher, one that is constantly changing on my skin over the span of the first 2 hours. One of my very favorite BPAL fragrance blends, and definitely bottle-worthy. I think I'd especially love this in a perfume locket, in order to retain the wet scent in which all 4 flowers are present and identifiable.

My rating: 5, would even be a 5+ if the frangipani note didn't disappear so fast on my skin.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Strong Jasmine/floral. Can't pick out any of the other notes. It keeps morphing - one sniff I'll get classy floral, the next powder/sweet. I like it though, a LOT - keeper pile for me.

The flowers in the description seemed very "me" so I couldn't wait to try it. Was not disapointed! I get mostly sweet jasmine and frangipani with just a touch of rose (which I amp slightly anyway) hiding in the background. Delight truly is a fitting name for this lovely oil!

In the Imp (ITI): While this is a clearly floral scent, I'm not overwhelmed by it. The frangipani mellows out the jasmine in the imp, and the rose combinations provides a sweetly subtle background.

Wet: The jasmine is much stronger on my skin, while the frangipani recedes into the background. Thankfully the rose keeps it from becoming a one-note show.

Dry: It's still deliciously floral as the frangipani reappeared, followed by the rose. Depth has been added by the jasmine base a base note once dry.

DELIGHT

In Vitro A yellow oil, tested blind. First sniff was sweet and resiny.

Wet This went on sweet and thick-smelling, with a lot of throw at application. I guessed at floral but couldn't identify which flowers. It did remind me of commercial perfume, specifically my mother's Fleur(s) de Rocaille.

Drying Less strong, but aside from mellowing a bit the scent didn't morph. Five hours after application I could still faintly smell this on my wrist.

Because of the staying power I was expecting to see one or more base notes in the description. Rose, jasmine, and tuberose did not surprise me, but …frangipani? Oh, you mean plumeria! I love plumeria. I was surprised how well this worked on me, and although the scent isn't really my style (see "my mother's", above) I will certainly use up the imp.

In the Imp: Very strong, almost dirt caked floral.

Wet: Very strong floral, mostly frangipani.

Dry: Oh my gosh, it smells like a Renuzit air freshener! :ugh:

Must be my skin chemistry.

I guess this will just have to be a frimp for someone else.