Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Drink Me

Lab Description:

... However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

Notes: I got a drop of this on my fingers while afixing the reducer to the bottle. I just had to write a review .

In The Bottle: Vanilla butterscotch caramels ( the chewy kind). :P

Wet On Skin: Warm vanilla with a backdrop of cherry lolly pops :)

Initial Drydown: Vanilla wafers close to the skin, throwing a bit of that hazlenut coffee note others have mentioned. There's a bit of cherry still here here too.... Less lolly pop, more cherry tea. I'm waiting for the pineapple. :D :D

Final Drydown: Creamy vanilla... A very good quality Creme Brulee, complete with a very incensey burnt sugar note. Accompanied by cherry hazlenut tea. FANTASTIC!!!!

This is unashamedly gourmand at it's very finest. Brava Beth! :claps:

This is one of my staple scents. I adore it.

In Bottle: Butter, cake, fruit, toffee, maybe a little rum. It's very sweet (but not saccharine like Sugar Skull was for me) and rich. It's thick and heavy, not intended for those who like light & airy scents.

On Skin: This one just really works on me. It smells almost exactly like it did in the bottle. Initially, it's almost equal parts butter/toffee and some sort of tart fruit like cherries or pineapples. On the die-down, the fruit wears away first, and what's left is warm vanilla-toffee-butter heaven. It makes me think of buttered toast with strawberry jam next to a freshly frosted cake with buttercream icing. It manages sweet and savory simultaneously.

If you like delicious & foody, I strongly recommend Drink Me. If you like light, fresh, or floral scents, stay away - this one is thick and heavy and decadent.

Wow... this scent is a real experience! I've been developing a real liking for Beth's foodier blends since the cold weather set in, so I decided to treat myself to bottles of both Eat Me and Drink Me, as I'm just wild about Alice In Wonderland and the Mad Tea Party collection in general so far. Ever since I was a little girl I have wondered what the liquid in that "Drink Me" bottle most have smelled like, and thanks to BPAL I've gotten my chance to find out.

When I first unscrewed the top, I smelled pretty much just the "buttered toast" part of it all. When I dabbed a little on, I soon began to smell everything else. The toffee and something else that smelled like hazelnuts was very strong right off the bat, but after a while I started to smell the pineapple, the "cherry tart", and a vanilla-esque note that has got to be the custard. I didn't detect any turkey, but honestly I can't say that I'm bummed about that.

This morphed a ton during the first ten minutes or so that I had it on. I'm usually not a fan of morphers, but that actually seems fitting for this particular blend. Now that it's settled down a bit and become what it wants to be, it smells mostly of hazelnuts and... I want to say... red wine? There's maybe a hint of something yeasty and comforting that smells like bread in there as well. It's nice! Drink Me is not only a lot of fun to experience, but it's surprisingly wearable. A wonderful addition to your collection if you like BPAL's foodie blends.

In the bottle this is a very heavy, warm scent that smells like butterscotch and almonds.

On me this is very foody and perfect for winter. It is like a warm butterscotch upside down cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it. Simply delicious and a must have for my collection! :P

In Imp, Drink Me was completely buttery, and I could see that the Jack comparisons were justified.

On my skin, the butter cooled off a little to make way for an icky plasticy scent.

The burnt plastic got stronger and stronger until I had to wash it off. ugh.

I will say though, that when not mixed with my skin, Drink Me is a fairly nice. I spilled this imp all over my floor, and traces of the scent are still lingering. On my floor it is a pleasant, deep, sweet and complex scent.

See, if it had smelled like that on my skin, I would have been happy. As it is, off to the swap pile

Definately a very rich almost over-the-top foody scent - a little goes a long way. It's lovely and warm, but not something that I would wear very often because my skin really amps this scent up.

Edited by Archaic Smile

This was meant to be my first scent from BPAL, as it was a gift, but I only just the gift yesterday.

Bottle: Buttery cake! The butter is Jack really has me nervous about butter, but this one seems more inviting.

Wet: Very similar to Cockaigne on me, minus the wine edge. I got a touch of cinnamon and spice with sweet and divine cake.

Dry: Vanilla, still foody, but incense too. Really muted sweet incense. Amazing. Still with the cake, but also with deep complex dizzy swirls.

Final Thoughts: I'm SO glad this gift was a bottle. My first bottle at that. Very yummy and sexy and complex. I LOVE this.

Starts out as a nice foody/cakey scent, which reminds me of Beaver Moon only a little more subtle. Sadly the caramel-butter note that also seems to be in Gluttony overwhelms everything else and makes me quite nauseous. :P

I get a flash of butter when I apply this, but it melds over pretty quickly into rice pudding. The boy thinks this smells like a vanilla candle so there's probably some vanilla in here that I'm not really picking up on. Mostly to me this is just slightly spiced, sweet, warm rice pudding. This dies after a few hours, so it just means I need a bottle so I can reapply readily.

In the bottle: Buttery, kind of sweet.

Wet: Butterscotch.

Drydown: Upon drying, it becomes a lot sweeter and the pineapple emerges as it settles into a creamy pineapple scent. Not much throw, not much staying power on me. It's pleasant but just okay.

This is going to be an easy and short review:

Smells like Jelly Belly buttered Popcorn tastes.

Not for me, sorry.

Imp: gah the butter!! :P

Wet: butter(ed popcorn jellybean, yes) and pineapple - pineapple of the sickly sweet (perhaps almost artificial-smelling) kind

Dry: very sweet, heavy, and buttery, counterbalanced somewhat by the acidic fruity undertones from the pineapple. At the same time I get an almost salty undertone which could be a reference to the turkey.

This one is not for me. I was almost not going to try it on, because I could tell it was way too buttery and foody for me already in the imp, but I do try everything out on my skin, and make a point of writing reviews for everything too, so...

It is of course extremely well-done, a very realistic blend, and probably good for hard-core foodies, but I think my limit has been crossed here. Other foody blends are actually top favourites of mine, which was a pleasant surprise to me, but this one is too much, sadly :D

ETA: wierd double posting deleted

Edited by Browneyes

I love all things Alice in Wonderland so of course I had to try this one.

In the imp: Buttery vanilla toffee. Very buttery. Yummy!

Immediately after applying, I get a LOT of cherry. And I mean, immediately. As soon as it touched my wrist, the cherry came flying out. After several minutes, it went back to vanilla and then my surprise, I started to actually smell the roast turkey. Maybe I'm imagining it but I could have sworn I smelled roast turkey. Since I'm vegan, I decided to pretend it was roast potatoes ;-)

In the next half hour, this morphed between a yummy sweet vanilla scent and that roasted food scent. I wasn't too excited about smelling like roasting food so when that finally went away, I was happy. It's now a nice soft sweet vanilla. Definitely yummy. I didn't think the two foodie scents I've tried so far--Eat Me and Drink Me--would be wearable but they definitely are.

The notes in this sounded too interesting to pass up.

In the imp: Candy and cake.

Wet, on skin: This went through a lot of stages. First it smelled really strongly of that cake note in Beaver Moon that I can't wear. I would wear Beaver Moon and all day long think that I smelled like dry birthday sheet cake (you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, you do.). Then it morphed into something sweet and eggy--the custard, I assume. Then over to being buttery and yeasty--the buttered toast. Then candy sweet--the cherries. Very cool.

Dry/Drying: I get the cake, the custard, and something like caramel? Those square caramels that take your fillings out if you're not careful. However, there's still too much of that cake for me to wear this comfortably.

A fascinating scent because of the way it morphs--I think I smelled every single food listed at one point or another (except the turkey, and--turkey as perfume? Ew!), which was really neat. Yeah, I just can't do that cake note. Not that it's not nice--I can see how others would be in love with it--but on me it's just not love.

At first, spice cake batter. Then almond cookies. I'm in heaven. Give to me large bottle now and hurt no one gets.

I read the Lab description of Drink Me, but purposely avoided reading any forum comments on it, because I wanted it to morph for me without outside input. I just loved the description and wanted to see if it lived up to it. I got a friend to help sniff as it shifted. I didn't sniff the imp because I wanted to see what it did on me.

Wow. Oh wow.

The first note was butter. Then that shifted to something cherry-fruity and---hey wait, Hawaiian punch??? I think this is what you get when cherry mixes with pineapple. It was distinctly Hawaiian punch. Then I started to get something vanilla-ish, which quickly shifted to cake. Then the turkey started to show up. I thought of the scent of a roasted turkey wing with crackly skin. I held my hand over to my friend, and he said "Mmm, turkey, and here comes the gravy!" Yes, there was something smooth and gravy-ish evolving.

Then it went to caramel. My friend sniffed and said "Yams! Candied yams!" It went to something like buttered vegetables from there. We both thought of green beans. Then it went to milk and starch, slightly sour. He thought of au gratin potatos, I thought of baked potatos with sour cream. The sour cream morphed into vanilla custard for both of us. And then it turned to buttered toast. It stayed buttered toast for about ten minutes, and finally ended up as buttered popcorn. Two hours down the road, it's still buttered popcorn, sort of the scent equivalent of a buttered popcorn Jelly Belly.

He thinks this scent would be a great aid for dieters. It's like having Thanksgiving in a bottle. :P

Eat your heart out, Willie Wonka! You ain't got nuthin on the Alchemy Lab!

Addenda, 3 hours after application: it's now toasted marshmallow with vanilla undertones. Beth is a witch I tell you, a witch! (Like I'm saying anything we didn't know already, huh?) :D

Edited by Jilara

Blech! There's a weird note in here, something musky, almost spoiled or rancid. I had to wash it off.

::sigh:: When BPAL foody scents work on me, they're amazing, but many of them smell off on me, in unusual ways (like the rotting celery in Spooky...).

Wet: Vanilla and cherries, with a whiff of pineapple.

First on: Buttery, toffee, and the pineapple and cherries seem to have switched places (by which I mean, strong pineapple, faint cherry).

Dry: Nutty, but at this point I'm getting that disappointing burnt plastic smell. :P

Wow. This is delicious. I mainly smell vanilla.. very thick, like frosting. Super rich and buttery frosting. Mmmm.. definietly something like caramel toffees mixed with it. Yeah, it reminds me a lot of butter brickle ice cream.

I would even say there is a hint of pineapple in there floting in the background... doesn't come forward much, but it's there. Easier to smell when it's in the imp, but it comes forward now and again on my skin too. Don't really get cherry from this, though. (Oh yes, and where is my turkey?!)

At one point, it becomes sweet carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. That stage lasts about 20 minutes before it goes back to as it was at first. Awesome scent, very well done. This is my new favorite foody scent, I need more. :P

(It even got a "that one smells good" from my fiance, which is rare. :D Bonus points!)

In the imp, this starts out as pure melted butter. On skin, it is toasted toffee cake. As it morphs, the pineapple becomes more prominant, so it turns into toasted toffee pineapple upside down cake. Delicious, rich and foody.

According to fiance, it smells like Golden Grahams. I guess that's good?

this smells exactly like pineapple upside-down cake!

pineapple, cherries, and buttery cake. yum!

i’m not sure what else to say. it’s a fun, sweet foody scent; i like it a lot.

(it doesn’t smell like turkey. not at all. :P)

Buttery cake with fruit on top, this is quite yummy. It's foody, but not heavy foody, I think the fruits really keep it lighter. I get a bit of vanilla too.

I'm not sure what to make of this. When I smelled the imp i felt sort of queasy, to be honest--it was soooo strongly toffee/ hazlenut/ butter to me that I think it took me back to my coffee shop girl days--it was like smelling the torani syrups we put into our coffee drinks, or almost like butterscotch schnapps...just a little too concentrated...

But on me, it smelled more off shortbread cookies, almond cookies, dried banana chips, and something I couldn't place--very bready, no fruit for me...and a teensy bit of a plastic smell drifts in and out but isn't really unpleasant as it reminds me of toys in the eighties...

I am would not order a big bottle, but will keep it around, as I like a comforting scent like this when I am lounging around at home, cozy in my pajamas...might be good with something a bit more spicy added to it, too...

Edited by willowtreeling

in the vial it smells like...butter. it reminds me of the time me and a friend went to the movies (to see x-men to be exact) and got a huge tub of popcorn and drenched it in butter. we even got a cup and filled it with butter to add more as we ate the top layers. we came out of the theater nauseous and grease-stained and my friend claimed she felt like she was going to burp up a giant butterbubble .....

but anyhoo. butter. yes. and i put a bit on and it smells exactly like buttered popcorn jellybellies taste. then as it dries down? i get milk moon ('05 is it?) except less cheesy/diapery smelling.